PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday...

blue
11-29-2008, 09:09 PM
With the Walmart death in Nassau County, NY and the gunfire and at least one death in a Desert Palm, CA ToysRUs shooting, I guess Black Friday now has a new meaning.

How many other deaths relating to Black friday didnt make the national news?

Twisterdog
11-29-2008, 11:51 PM
I have to say that I think the whole obsession with shopping on the day after Thanksgiving is completely stupid. No offense intended to those who enjoy it, but to me it is a most insane and pointless thing.

It is stuff, possesions, trinkets, junk ... who cares??? Can't people find something better to do with their time and money? Donate to a charity, volunteer in a soup kitchen or humane society, bake some cookies for a senior care center, stay home with your family and pets.

I think it is a sad, sad statement on the mentality in this country.

jennielynn1970
11-30-2008, 06:05 AM
I so don't understand the whole obsession myself. My one friend said she bought a stereo on sale at Target because it was only $44. Now she said she wants to take it back because it's a cheapy model. Well... DUH. You're buying a 44 dollar model, you get what you pay for.

Everything is about getting more, getting better than anyone else, beating your neighbors and the relatives. It's just disgusting. It has no religious meaning any longer, and certainly most aren't behaving in a Christian manner while doing their shopping.

I just would prefer to stay out of all of that.

Daisy and Delilah
11-30-2008, 10:37 AM
I have to say that I think the whole obsession with shopping on the day after Thanksgiving is completely stupid. No offense intended to those who enjoy it, but to me it is a most insane and pointless thing.

It is stuff, possesions, trinkets, junk ... who cares??? Can't people find something better to do with their time and money? Donate to a charity, volunteer in a soup kitchen or humane society, bake some cookies for a senior care center, stay home with your family and pets.

I think it is a sad, sad statement on the mentality in this country.

I couldn't have said it better. What kind of people go for this madness? I would love to hear from some people that go out and enjoy it. If that's their thing, it's ok with me but I just don't understand it.:(
It is just "stuff".

chocolatepuppy
11-30-2008, 12:51 PM
I went out Friday, first time I can remember! The local grocery store and our department store, no problem. I live in a small town. I decided to venture to the petstores while I was out. They were a bit busy but not too bad. The road near the mall was crazy! I saw the bird a few times and I'm not talking about a turkey. Too many cars trying to get through the four way intersections.
I didn't really want to go out, I found myself with a very sore throat and no lozenges, that's how it started. I didn't go out because it was black Friday, just needed to go.;)

ramanth
11-30-2008, 05:53 PM
In the past I've avoided Black Friday, but this year, I went out shopping with my mom and best friend. But instead of getting up at the crack of dawn and fighting people over parking spaces and crap, we went to the mall at 3 p.m.

The mall was busy but far from being overcrowded. No long lines at the registers and found some great deals. :)

JenBKR
12-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Ok, I admit it, I am a black friday shopper. (Although I don't brave Wal-mart on that day :eek: ). It has been a tradition in my family ever since I could remember for the girls to go shopping early at the mall. We were there at 7am on friday. I always have fun - if I find something to buy, great, if not, I'm ok. I'm not one of those nuts fighting over anything. It's actually kind of funny to watch how people react. Sad how some people have taken it so far, with trampling someone to death and shootings. The mall was actually not that busy this year - nowhere near what I expected.

Daisy and Delilah
12-01-2008, 01:05 PM
For a person that loves to shop, I think it's probably as much fun as a shopper can have. It would be fun to go with my kids if they really wanted to go. I'm glad that people can go out and enjoy themselves. Enjoy themselves without trying to kill someone over a bargain.

I can't help but wonder what drives the mind of the person that was in that Walmart crowd. Did they not realize they were stepping on someone or were they being pushed from behind? Perhaps they couldn't help it and were caught up in the rush. I can't get over this incident. Did those people that trampled the poor guy ever stop and think they should go back and check on him? It's a shame that it will never be resolved as to who actually did it.:( :( :(

CathyBogart
12-02-2008, 11:02 AM
I love Black Friday shopping, and :P :rolleyes: :mad: to anyone who says that being excited about getting gifts for others is stupid or materialistic. Go pick on something important, rather than knocking something fun and (usually) harmless.

Uabassoon
12-02-2008, 12:43 PM
I think that happened at that Walmart was tragic. I think that sometimes people can get into a bit of a mob mentality when they are in a group that large. However I don't think it's fair to lump all black friday shoppers into that category.

I'll admit that I love going shopping on Black Friday, every year I go to Target and Best Buy to get gifts for my family. I'm not the type of person that will stand by the door at 4 a.m. to push people down just to save $20, I prefer to go in the afternoon and I love getting more for my money. While the shops are busy I've never found it as crazy as people make it seem. Usually I don't even have to wait in a line to check out because there are so many checkout lanes open.

I'm shocked by the amount of people that act like you are some type of horrible person because you want to go out the day after thanksgiving and enjoy some sales. I must be horrible because I wanted to buy some gifts for my parents and partner while they were on sale so that I wouldn't have to break my budget. I've also been wanting to buy a video game (guitar hero) for a really long time but couldn't justify the $100 price tag. I must be a heathen because I decided to finally treat myself when I saw it on sale at Target for only $60.

Yes, bad things can and do happen on Black Friday. Hundreds of people trying to run through a door when it opens is not safe and will make for a bad situation. However not everyone that goes out shopping is a horrible person.

caseysmom
12-02-2008, 01:10 PM
I love a deal myself just don't like the crowds.

I did shop yesterday and got a good deal on cyber monday...on macys.com I got free shipping and buy one sweater get the other one free. I am all for getting deals!

pomtzu
12-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Frankly - I'd rather sit here at my computer and shop - but it's all just a matter of what you like to do. My son and his wife go out early on Black Friday - but only if it's for an item/items on sale that they were going to buy anyway. They get what they went for and are usually home well before noon. This year they got next to nothing that day - except a $200 Christmas tree at Home Depot for $50. The store only had 4 and they got the last one, so were pretty happy with that!
When I go to the stores during the holiday shopping season - I never go on weekends - only during the week and during the day, since most people are working then. I went yesterday and got some really great buys, and didn't have to deal with the crowds, and the store clerks were actually nice and not stressed out! I actually had 4 clerks looking for an item for me - and this was in a store not known to have helpful clerks.
Black Friday can be fun if people conduct themselves like civilized humans, and not a bunch of wild maniacs!

Twisterdog
12-02-2008, 06:13 PM
I love Black Friday shopping, and :P :rolleyes: :mad: to anyone who says that being excited about getting gifts for others is stupid or materialistic. Go pick on something important, rather than knocking something fun and (usually) harmless.

If you are referring to my post, I did not say getting gifts for other is stupid. I buy lots of gifts for others for Christmas. I said the obsession with shopping on the day after Thanksgiving was stupid. There is a big difference.

People so rabid for a sale that they trample other people to death - stupid. People who will push down a pregnant woman and run right over the top of her to save a few bucks - stupid.

There was a picture in our local paper of the crowd waiting in line outside Walmart at 4:00 am. It was bitterly cold, with howling wind, that morning. There were people with babies and crying little children, out in the cold for hours, waiting for a store to open. Do I think that is stupid? Absolutely.

Daisy and Delilah
12-02-2008, 07:33 PM

My thoughts were on the subject of the original post. The obsession that drives people to act like an angry mob just to get a few dollars off something. Shopping for a personal item or a gift for someone shouldn't be an obsession. It should be an enjoyment.

I don't have any problem with people getting or giving gifts either. That is the normal Christmas tradition.

I do think Christmas has become a giant money making event and way too complex at times. I wish we could return to simpler times. I know that won't happen so I'll live with today's rules.:)