PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Ornaments?

RICHARD
11-29-2008, 08:47 PM
DO you have a favorite Christmas ornament?

Please tell the story about where it came from and why it's your favorite.

-------

Mine?

It's a foam circle with red and green stretch fabric strips tied around it. There is a bell hung in the middle of it and I hang it on my mom's front door.

I love it because it I made it when when things were great in my life and it's a reminder of that time.

rosethecopycat
11-29-2008, 09:14 PM
I have my Father's glass ornaments from before WWII.
They are supplemented by some 'new' ones from the 70's

I made a couple from a kit in the 60's. They were a satin ball that you pushed pins into, which had beads and sequins attached. They were SO heavy that the artificial branches could not bear them. So, they lay at the bottom of the tree.

Seven years after my Father passed now, and I haven't put up the old, pathetic, artificial tree.
I think it may be still too hard to look at, but someday.;)

RICHARD
11-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Seven years after my Father passed now, and I haven't put up the old, pathetic, artificial tree.
I think it may be still too hard to look at, but someday.;)

Wow, My dad passed 7 years ago....His thing was the salami and cheese gift boxes-we found one that he had stashed that was so old that the meat was jerky and the cheese was harder than concrete.

Do your dad the favor of at least looking at it. It's hard, but I can tell you that sometimes the smiles outweigh the tears.

My ornament was part of a 'crafts thing' that me and my RBGF got into. I have to laugh because I'd go to my mom's house and put it up. She really liked my GF and I would shame her into leaving it on her front door./

Freedom
11-30-2008, 09:28 AM
I have one glass ornament which is from when Dad was a child. When I was growing up, Mum always made a big event out of this ornament. It was always carefully wrapped so not to break. Only Dad was permitted to hang it. It had to go up high, out of reach of children (us!) and doggie tails. Taking the tree down, there was always a similar ceremony, it was the first ornament to come off and Mum insisted only Dad could do that. Then she would again carefully wrap it for the next year. It is a glass bell, about 1.5 inches high. White with "snow" (glitter?) top and bottom, red glass in the middle, and I think a blue stripe on it. Really a lovely piece.

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-30-2008, 09:46 AM
That must be both my kids first NewYear's letter, wrapped in a selfmade little bag!

Then I also cherish the 3 selfpainted (on chalk) santa's, which I made when we were living in St.Louis in 1893:)

Scooter's Mom
11-30-2008, 10:46 AM
I haven't put up a tree since my mom passed in Dec 2001. I haven't even looked at my ornaments.

I do remember... I have this one that she gave me that is a kitty. She went out of her way to supplement my kitty collection. It's an ordinary ornament, but it's so cherished.

Sirrahsim
11-30-2008, 11:00 AM
We are still working on expanding our collection, but I love all of the home made ones.

Then I also cherish the 3 selfpainted (on chalk) santa's, which I made when we were living in St.Louis in 1893:)

You were around in 1893:eek::confused::D:D

jennielynn1970
11-30-2008, 11:01 AM
I haven't put up a tree for a few years, but my favorite ornament is one that my mom gave me. It's a little rolling pin with christmas greens on it, and a ribbon to hang it with. It's adorable, and so appropriate for the baker in me!

chocolatepuppy
11-30-2008, 12:41 PM
A magenta colored ball that has a train in white glittery paint wrapped all around it. It was my parents. (my parents are still with us) Somehow my sister had it and heard I was asking about it, so she gave it to me. It seldom goes on the tree depending on the furkids I have at the time. ;)

BitsyNaceyDog
11-30-2008, 05:53 PM
My favorite is a pink and white "bell" made out of beads. I don't know who made it but I remember it hanging on the tree every year when I was a kid. That was the ornament I always hung every year. When I got married and moved out my mom gave me that ornament for my tree and it's hung at the top every year since.

Since we don't get white Christmas' in Florida a few years ago I decided I wanted to have a nice collection on snowman ornaments for the tree so we could have snow that way. My husband bought me a snowman a few years ago that I instantly fell in love with and it also became a favorite. It's wearing a red hat and juggling Christmas candy. It has a little dust of sparkles on it. I love it!

rosethecopycat
11-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Wow, My dad passed 7 years ago....His thing was the salami and cheese gift boxes-we found one that he had stashed that was so old that the meat was jerky and the cheese was harder than concrete.

Do your dad the favor of at least looking at it. It's hard, but I can tell you that sometimes the smiles outweigh the tears.

Salami & cheese? What old guy of that vintage didn't love that stuff?
He gave Figi's as gifts since the 70's. Relatives must have been So sick of it.

My Dad did not "appreciate" the "raising" of the tree, in fact it was the most URGENT thing to him was when it would come down. But, I, as an only child compelled him to at least tolerate the beauty. :p
The whole 'tree' episodes, over all those years, I find quite hysterical now. And if you could have seen the 'glory' of his artificial tree (must have been a prototype from the 50's- it looked like a broom handle with plastic branches coming out perpendicularly) it was a Made in Japan piece of crap.
I wouldn't give it up for the world!:cool:

Speaking of memorable decorations. My Aunt always put up a battery powered 3-D plastic Santa Face, circa 1960, on the back door. When you pressed the nose it said: Merry Christmas to All, and now let us sing together... (in a slight Japanese accent)
Well, it has fallen into disrepair, so I sent it to my cousin, her son. Who told me he could not repair it, because if he opened the back, it would void the warranty.:eek::p