PDA

View Full Version : When is it time?

Queen of Poop
11-27-2008, 06:32 PM
It has been suggested to me by an idiot, that Sasha needs to be put to sleep. That she has no quality of life any more.

Let me share with you her story and perhaps you can tell me the same thing, or not.

Sasha is 14 and a bit. She takes meds to keep her pain meds from upsetting her tummy. She takes pain meds and thyroid meds. She is mostly deaf. She really doesn't like her food, I keep trying to find something she will love, but its a losing battle. She cannot do the stairs, just a couple is all she can manage. She loves going for walks. She still looks at me with total love in her eyes.

Do I send her to the RB?

shepgirl
11-27-2008, 06:52 PM
Hard decision to make. Without seeing Sasha it's hard to say to anyone that it's time. I think she will tell you in her own way when it is time. Being the owner you would know best how to recognize the signals she gives.

Twisterdog
11-27-2008, 07:29 PM
When it was time to euthanize my old dog, Lacie, I knew. I had been wondering for about a year, "Is it time? No. Maybe. Next month". But on the day that it was time, it was time, and the decision was peaceful.

She was deaf and almost blind for a couple of years, but it really didn't seem to bother her. She was thin, and not terribly interested in food. But, then she started to get confused. She would wander around the house, and not be able to find the dog door or the food bowl until I showed her. One night I heard her howling, and got up to find her stuck in the corner of the room. She had been walking along a wall, and when she came to another wall, she didn't remember that she either needed to turn the corner or back up. So she just stood there with her nose in the corner, in a panic, and howled. She did the same thing several times the next day. She also was losing control of her bodily functions. I knew it was time ... to be deaf, blind, and so confused by life that you don't remember what a corner is ... that was no life.

OTOH, I have had many customers who held onto a dog way too long, IMO. One little poodle sticks out in my mind. The dog was ancient, like almost twenty years old I think. She was blind, deaf, frail, thin, ill, etc. She had no control over bodily functions, so her owners kept her in diapers in a crate. I felt so sorry for that dog. It was beyond time for her.

I think as long as you keep sight of what is best for the dog, and not what is easiest for you, you will know when the time comes.

Freedom
11-27-2008, 07:43 PM
She loves going for walks. She still looks at me with total love in her eyes.

That is a factor. She can go potty herself? Also a factor. I think Twisterdog said it quite well. When it is time, you will know, you know Sasha best.

Queen of Poop
11-27-2008, 08:11 PM
She goes potty by herself and doesn't soil in the house. Also doesn't usually get up in the night at all. She does fall down a little more often these days and does get confused sometimes, but not too often yet. I think her time is coming but it's not here yet. And to do it this close to Christmas just won't do at all. She's not skinny by any means, in fact if she skips a meal it's really not a worry. I think sometimes she just doesn't feel like eating cause she will eat the same food for her next meal and eat heartily.

Sasha is my heart doggie. I know that she will tell me when it's time and that I will comply with her request. To do it sooner because her old age requires that she have more attention and less stress is not an option.

Thank you all for your replies.

Medusa
11-27-2008, 09:04 PM
I just recently experienced this same dilemma w/my Puddy. She'd overcome one hurdle, then something else would appear. I went back and forth w/the issue and finally had called my local vet and put her on alert that if I didn't see improvement w/in a couple of days, I'd help Puddy to the Bridge. As it turned out, though, I didn't really need to make the decision. She developed pneumonia and while my vet was getting everything ready to have her PTS, she died in my arms. Some people had been telling me that they felt it was Puddy's time but I didn't let that deter me. I've had to do it previously w/other cats and dogs but there was never any question that it was time. W/Puddy, we weren't so lucky. My point is that even though I agonized over how and when I would know it was time, I did know, finally. And you will, too. My heart goes out to you because I know how difficult it is for you. Sasha is your heart doggie; Puddy was/is my heart kitty. (((HUGS))) :love:

carole
11-27-2008, 11:45 PM
I don't think anyone can make that decision, except you yourself,none of us are living with Sasha,and you have to make choices for her, she has only you to rely on,i think you will know in your heart when the time is right.

For me personally if their quality of life is very poor and they are suffering i would make the choice to send them to the RB,but i must stress it is purely your decision and your's alone and none of us are here to judge or can judge, take care. HUGS

Queen of Poop
11-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Sasha and I just had a nice walk around our acreage. Busy morning and she kept asking for a walkie. Now she's on her pillow, smiling away. She's not ready yet. She may be high maintenance at her advanced age and I don't mind the time she needs. So to the thoughtful person who suggested she is suffering, she is not and she's not ready yet. I will be ready when she is. Thanks everyone for your comments.

Alysser
11-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Glad you decided against this. I have to say absolutely NOT, her time is not now IMO. If she doesn't potty all over the house and has control over her bladder, can walk well, and is not in terrible pain then I would say she is fine. I put my dog to sleep over six months ago, almost 7 now. She wasn't blind or deaf, but she couldn't get up to pee any longer. She peed in her crate all the time, we didn't lock her in her crate all day but she never came out. On the final day it took her 10 minutes to get up from arthritis. We tried meds and even acupuncture, it didn't work after awhile so I knew nothing else can be done. If you have tried everything and nothing is working, then maybe it will be time to consider it.

You will know, you surely will.

Taz_Zoee
11-28-2008, 10:05 PM
My mom went through this last year with her Min Pin. He was 17 years old, blind and deaf. My mom didn't feel it was time to let him go yet because he was still eating and pottying regularly. He stayed in the bathroom while my parents worked and each night my mom had to wash the rug because he had urinated on it. That was the way it was for probably close to a year. But my mom didn't mind. She had a few sets of rugs, so while one was washing a clean one was down.
In the summer of 07 my dad asked me to take Kodi to the vet to be PTS and to not tell mom. I flat out refused. I would take him to the vet to be PTS but not without telling mom. I went to mom and told her what dad had said. She began to cry and said she didn't think it was time yet. No problem.
In September of 07 she finally made the decision to let him go. He had become confused and could hardly walk anymore. She had told me she wouldn't be able to be with him while they did it. My niece took her and Kodi to the vet and had the excuse to take the other dog out of the room while they let Kodi go. So my mom went through it all by herself, but she was there for Kodi. He was 17 1/2 years old.

I guess what I'm trying to say in my long babbling post here is that YOU (and only you) will know when it is time. Please do not let anyone tell you to make that decision before you want to. I didn't let my dad take that away from my mom and nobody should do that to you. It sounds like it is not Sasha's time yet. So just enjoy the time you have. :)

Cataholic
11-29-2008, 07:10 AM
Whether it is today, tomorrow or next year, I am sorry you are faced with this thought. I am sure you will be guided by your heart and your mind. Enjoy whatever time you have left with her.