PDA

View Full Version : One sick little boy

catnapper
11-26-2008, 09:41 AM
Sigh.... Pouncer spent the night at the vet again. I knew he was getting sick. When I dropped him off, they said I could pick him up in a couple hours. Hours passed and I hadn't heard so I called and they said "Pouncer's fine. His bladder isn't full and he's a happy little boy. But we want to get a urine sample to make sure theres no infection. We'll call you once we get a sample." I was a bit annoyed with myself because I was SURE he was sick and his bladder was full. I was happy that he wasn't sick - better safe than sorry, right?

So a couple more hours pass and its now closing time. So I called them back and they said "He finally tried to pee and he was straining. We'll keep him over night and let you know in the morning."

I just called and they told me he's one sick little boy. His urine was FILLED with crystals. They had to cath him and put some kind of lube inside to keep the crystals from irritating him..... goodness knows how much this is gonna cost me since they are adding services they never did before! They are in the middle of rennovations, so I guess they have to pay the contractors somehow ;)

They were confused as to why he wasn't eating since he never ignored food for them before. I asked what they tried to feed him and told them how much he HATES the crystal reducing diet. They said it was the wet food.... I said he hated that even more than the dry! I told them that a hundred times before but htey thought I was nuts because he always ate it for them. I guess he decided to show them the truth!

I get to pick him up at 3:00 today. My poor little boy. I'm so glad he had the surgery last year or he'd have blocked completely. Cameron asked me a hundred times last night where Pouncer was. He was concerned about his favorite kitty.

Randi
11-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Oh poor Pouncer. :( Fister knows exactly what it feels like to be blocked up and he sends his sympathies. He was blocked about three times and flushed through, only eating Hills S/D, but it only helped for a couple of months each time, so we decided to have him operated. There's been no problem since. :)

I don't understand this... you say he HAS been operated. :confused:

Lots of good thoughts for sweet Pouncer, hope he'll get it sorted out and feel better soon! :)

catmandu
11-26-2008, 10:09 AM
OH NO NOT YOUR POUNCER!!!
MY POUNCER ANGELS WITH HIM NOW, AND TRYING TO CALM AND COMFORT HER NAMEASKE. WHAT A SHAME THAT POUNCER HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR SO LONG NOW :eek: AND NOTHING SEEMS TO HELP FOR LONG.
WE ARE PRAYING HARD FOR YPOUR POUNCER FRIEND :love::love: AND WE PRAY HES HOME SOON.:):)

Medusa
11-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Oh Pouncer, I'm so sorry about your illness! Fortunately, I've never experienced any of my cats being blocked but I've ready how painful it can be. I'm glad that you're on the mend now, though, and that you'll be home w/Mom soon. :)

kimlovescats
11-26-2008, 11:21 AM
Poor Pouncer! I hope he gets feeling better soon and the vet is kind to your pocketbook!:rolleyes:;)

lvpets2002
11-26-2008, 11:25 AM
:( Oh no poor wittle Pouncer.. I hope you will get to come home soon & that your feeling better real soon.. Sending Lots of Positive Vibes & Prayers && Huggss..

krazyaboutkatz
11-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Kim, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I hope that he'll start feeling better soon.

Does he not like any kind of canned food? If he does like at least one kind then I'd start feeding him some every day mixed with some water to help add even more moisture to his diet.

Storm would still have occasional crystal and UTI problems from time to time but now that he's been eating Innova Evo canned food 2 times a day mixed with a fair amount of water he's been doing great.:) This food has no grains in it and my holistic vet said that sometimes grains will cause urinary tract problems. I also give Storm some dry food too but he has to have his canned food daily to make sure that he gets plenty of moisture each day. Good luck.:)

Anikaca77
11-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Prays for your little boy.

Our Claudia has crystals in her urine and she tends to use our kitchen has her bathroom sometimes. Right now it's slowing down thankgoodness with the can food she loves it but I think she still might have some pain. But I'm going to call the vets to check and see what she says.

I hope your little boy feels better soon.

Melissa

Barbara
11-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Poor Pouncer- a night at the vet's without cuddling is no fun.
Hope you can pick him up soon.

catnapper
11-26-2008, 05:47 PM
I don't understand this... you say he HAS been operated. :confused:

Lots of good thoughts for sweet Pouncer, hope he'll get it sorted out and feel better soon! :)
Yes, he had the surgery a year ago. He technically didn't block - but he does have a lot of crystals and he was holding it because of the irritation.

Thank goodness, the vet trip was only $150. I expected twice that. He didn't get home with any special food, which confuses me. But I guess if he won't eat it, its wasteful giving it to him. He's MUCH better tonight. I'm glad to have my little sickie home again :love:

Catlady711
11-26-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm glad he's back home with you now, and I hope he gets better really soon. Poor baby. Give him a good cheek scratching for me will you?

jenluckenbach
11-27-2008, 02:59 AM
I am so sorry that Pouncer has crystals again. You say he will not eat any of the prescription foods to prevent them? Are the crystals struvite? If so, ask you vet about Ammonil (a urine acidifier pill) Biddy takes one every day. He does eats the royal canin SO but he STILL needed more help to keep the urine acidic to prevent crystals.

catnapper
11-27-2008, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the tip Jen. Is this something I'd get from the vet?

I feel like a bad meowmie.... he got locked in the basement all night :o My sick little boy spent one night at the vet, the following night in the basement. He doesn't seem concerned - in fact he seemed relieved to spend time away from Callie, who's been chasing him non-stop since he's been home.

jenluckenbach
11-27-2008, 08:02 AM
Ammonil is a prescripton I get from the vet.

Moesha
11-27-2008, 08:44 AM
I hope your baby gets feeling better quickly.

emily_the_spoiled
11-27-2008, 10:36 AM
I don't know if this will help, but Oliver was diagnosed with crystals a couple of months ago. We tried a number of things, but we reached the point where I am not giving him sub-q fluids everyday. He only gets between 100-150mls and that is enough to do the trick for him. I now order all the IV supplies online and they are MUCH cheaper than at the vet.

catnapper
11-27-2008, 05:43 PM
I've actually thought of giving him fluids at home. I've done everything else to encourage him to drink more. Silly brat thinks he doesn't need to drink!

orangemm
11-27-2008, 05:56 PM
so glad your boy is back home with you. So sorry he had to go through that again. Give him special scritches from me and the boys............:love::love:

columbine
11-27-2008, 06:00 PM
It depends on what kind of crystals Pouncer had - what will fix one kind will make another kind worse! - but if they were struvite (magnesium ammonium phosphate) crystals, you might ask your vet for a sample of Hill's Prescription Diet c/d. Smudge thinks it's quite tasty (he actually prefers kibble to canned) and it cleared up his crystals for good.

He also gets Cosequin, a joint supplement that also strengthens the protective inner layer of the bladder and urethra. I tried getting him a drinking fountain, but he was scared of it! So I tried putting another water dish out for him, and it turns out he'd much rather drink from a glass bowl in the living room than a steel bowl in the kitchen, at least most days.

He gets the Cosequin mushed up in some very fancy Pet Promise canned food, along with his other supplements, and lots of extra water, so it's sort of like soup. I sprinkle Kitty Kaviar flakes on top as a treat, so it's his "Paté Japonais." (Hey, he always laughs at my jokes!)

And today, of course, he also got a bit of roast turkey. ;)

Love, Columbine