PDA

View Full Version : Personal Bill of Rights.

NicoleLJ
11-25-2008, 04:32 PM
I learned a very wonderful thing today in therapy. I learned about the Personal Bill of Rights that everyone is entitled to. Even me. And I thought it was so important that I should post it so that anyone like me who did believe some of the rights would know that we do have those rights. THe ones I found to be very important to me I bolded. FOr others it may be others. So here they are:

Personal Bill of Rights
1. I have the right to ask for what I want

2. I have the right to. say no to requests or demands I can't meet.

3. I have the right to express all of my feelings, positive or negative.

4. I have the right to change my mind.

5. I have the right to make mistakes and not have to be perfect.

6. I have the right to follow my own values and standards.

7. I have the right to say no to anything when I feel I am not ready, it is unsafe or it violates my values.

8. I have the right to determine my own priorities.

9. I have the right not to be responsible for others' behavior, actions, feelings or prohlems

10. I have the right to expect honesty from others.

11. I have the right to be angry at someone I love.

12. I have the right to be uniquely myself.

13. I have the right to feel scared and say '1'm afraid."

14. I have the right to say '1 don't know.

15. I have the right not to give excuses or reasons for my behavior.

16. I have the right to make decisions based on my feelings.

17. I have the right to my own needs for personal space and time.

18. I have the right to be playful and frivolous.

19. I have the right to be healthier than those around me.

20. I have the right to be in a nonabusive environment.

21. I have the right to make friends and be comfortable around people.

22. I have the right to change and grow.

23. I have the right to have my needs and wants respected by others

24. I have the right to be treated with dignity and respect

25. I ha\re the right to be happy.

Husky_mom
11-25-2008, 04:49 PM
and you are so right ! ..........;)

very nice bill of rights.. I should have it printed ...

jennielynn1970
11-25-2008, 05:37 PM
While they are good, I have an issue with #9. I think while I'm not responsible for others feelings etc... I am human and so are they, so I need to take them into consideration when making decisions. And for #15, as long as my attitude or behavior isn't harming or infringing on anyone else, that's good.

I think we all need to be aware of everyone and their rights as well.

This is good though, and I will be passing it along to those I think will gain from it.

Thanks, Nicole!

Hellow
11-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Neat post

Although I find it odd that you post this the day after the "Sad Update" thread got locked, and the fact that you did this:

20. I have the right to be in a nonabusive environment.

NicoleLJ
11-25-2008, 07:19 PM
THat was the most important one in my therapy because it was about my husbands abuse towards me in my marriage.
Nicole

shepgirl
11-25-2008, 07:19 PM
They have this posted at Al-anon meetings. I have friends attending the meetings and they gave me a copy.
I know it be heart by now.

Same one you posted a few yrs ago on another forum...

NicoleLJ
11-25-2008, 07:58 PM
And this proves you are not following me how? Or didn't know me before now how? Just leave me alone Shepgirl. You are the one that causes all the drama. Just leave me alone and there will be peace. I need some peace this holiday. SO grow up and leave me alone. Just stay out of my threads. Please.

Kfamr
11-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Nicole, use the ignore function.

shais_mom
11-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Fat lot SG learned about detachment and "let go and let God".

Or maybe some slogans she didn't learn by heart. Or even step one.

Save it for your garden in springtime, it'll do a lot more good there. :p

(PS - I have you on Ignore, but I peek! LOL)

what are you 2 years old?
next time I'll wait to see na na na na BOOO BOO after your post.

sumbirdy
11-25-2008, 10:58 PM
It's the holidays! Let's not fight....

It's a good post. I like it. If I had a printer that worked (darn you printer!) then I'd print it. I like #12. I live in a little bitty town that's all about conformity. If you didn't conform you were immediately unpopular (needless to say, I had few friends)

Catty1
11-25-2008, 11:19 PM
k, it's gone! :)

pomtzu
11-26-2008, 06:06 AM
Oh for Pete's sake!!!! Everybody needs to grow up. I too find it odd that this thread would be started almost as soon as the other was locked - and posted in a way that could be taken as inflamatory. Let sleeping dogs lie - or better still - give them a chance to get to sleep in the first place!!! :rolleyes:

NicoleLJ
11-26-2008, 10:26 AM
My original post was not directed at anyone. It was just a wonderful thing I learned yesterday in therapy and wanted to share it because I thought others might learn from it or enjoy it also. If you don't well don't read it. If you do like it or get some good stuff from it great. That was the point. Not to start a war. That is it that is all. I just wanted to share that days inspirational stuff that I got.
Nicole

shepgirl
11-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Oh for Pete's sake!!!! Everybody needs to grow up. I too find it odd that this thread would be started almost as soon as the other was locked - and posted in a way that could be taken as inflamatory. Let sleeping dogs lie - or better still - give them a chance to get to sleep in the first place!!! :rolleyes:

Thank you pomtzu. Very well put and hopefully the dogs will have their much needed rest.

Zippy
11-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Everyone let's not fight.
If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.
Nicole just wants to share something she learned and thought others might learn something form it.
Thanks Nicole I enjoyed the list and might print it.

shepgirl
11-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Thank you for putting me on ignore Catty1. Better than getting dumped on for changing my mind about fostering a dog.

Hellow
11-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Thank you for putting me on ignore Catty1. Better than getting dumped on for changing my mind about fostering a dog.

Why wont you just leave well enough alone? You are the person stirring up everyone inside this thread, I just noticed a little something.

Husky_mom
11-26-2008, 12:44 PM
I do not find it odd at all... this was posted as a wonderfult hing learned.... even if she had posted before somewhere else.. perhaps she just saw it again and thought to share here...

the other thread was closed for obvious reasons.. and I think this might be heading the same way... please chill... everyone....

stop the finger pointing and nasty comments...

pomtzu
11-26-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm not fighting with anyone here. And I found nothing wrong with WHAT was posted - just the fact that certain lines (and one in particular) - were in BOLD print - as if asking for a negative reaction even tho she said that wasn't the objective. So if I'm wrong - my deepest apologies!!!!!
And with that, I will end my involvement in this thread. I hope everyone in the U.S. has a wonderful Thanksgiving, and to the Canadian and other PTers around the world - Peace! Play nice kids..............:)

Husky_mom
11-26-2008, 01:37 PM
the bold statements where the ones that apply directly to her or were more important to her... just as I would bold out one she didnīt or viceversa...

I didnīt say you were fighting but just giving my point of view why it wasnīt odd to me....

Hellow
11-26-2008, 07:15 PM
I'm not fighting with anyone here. And I found nothing wrong with WHAT was posted - just the fact that certain lines (and one in particular) - were in BOLD print - as if asking for a negative reaction even tho she said that wasn't the objective. So if I'm wrong - my deepest apologies!!!!!

Exactly what I was about to say. I was wrong on my accusation of this being a sort of "Retaliation" thread, and I apologize. Now, if anyone wishes to bash NicoleNJ any more, I will personally pound them into the ground ;).

Muddy4paws
11-26-2008, 09:38 PM
wow, After read your last thread about rehoming your dog I felt the need to come in and write a reply.

If I was in your postion I would;

1. Stop coming online, Just stop the internet alltogether, Save you money for more food etc.

If you feel you are getting bullied online why subject yourself to it? I really do no understand.

I agree with a few other posters on the last thread about rehoming your dog, I know its a heartbreaking choice of what to do but at the end of the day you've got to say when enough is enough. If you cannot provide for your animals find them a nice home with someone who can and do it as fast as possible.

I dont think you are doing anything wrong by rehoming him, I can see how ppl are viewing it differently but at the end of the day its YOUR situation YOUR life. DONT let other ppl tell you what to do, Its easy for someone else to sit on the other side of a screen and call you a bad owner/person.

I really do think you need some time offline to get yourself together rather than worrying what a group of online ppl think of you. I would say you've got more important things to deal with, without the drama its causing online.

Reachoutrescue
11-26-2008, 09:51 PM
I am not sure what is going on that everybody is battling over....I am glad that I don't! LOL I just like the Personal Bill Of Rights. They do relate to me a lot, especially when I was trying to leave my kids' dad! I am glad somebody posted them again...it was really nice to see them and to see that they are still being used in counsling and therapy!

sumbirdy
11-26-2008, 10:48 PM
starts singing *Why can't we be friends? Why can't we be friends?....*

I shall stop, as that is the only line I know of that song and I shall not further subject you all to my horrible singing voice. :p