PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else ever been rear-ended in a car accident?

Pembroke_Corgi
11-25-2008, 08:53 AM
I was yesterday. It was one of the scariest things ever- until now, I was never involved in an accident. I went to the ER yesterday because I am pregnant and I wanted to make sure everything was ok with my baby...thankfully she is ok. I am also mostly ok, but I am super-sore today and of course I don't have a working vehicle either.

I was hit by a teenage driver, who was nice and polite, but then his dad showed up on the scene and yelled some really nasty, threatening things about me to someone over the phone. I don't understand why he wasn't just happy that his son was ok. The police were there and they are charging the other driver because he hit me from behind, but I know that this family is going to make a big fuss over it and probably make it hard for me to get money from insurance to fix my car. :( I called their insurance today to see what was going on, and they didn't even report the accident yet, so I did!! :eek:

Does anyone else have experience with an accident with a really nasty person? Does it make it hard to get it resolved? :(

lvpets2002
11-25-2008, 09:02 AM
:) Oh my my so Glad you are Ok.. Now if their was cops on site then they have to report to the insurance company.. Yes I was rear-ended once my a drunk driver with no license & no insurance & his 3rd DWI && the cops asured me the driver was going to the Pen this time..

Taz_Zoee
11-25-2008, 09:23 AM
I have never been in an accident (knocks on wood). I am sorry you were but I am glad you and the baby are okay.
My sister was in a multiple rear-ending accident. She was about the 4th car from the rear and she was still responsible for the car she rear-ended. Because she didn't leave enough space between her and the car in front of her, she was responsible for damages to that car. The car that hit her was responsible for her rear damages.
Hopefully this mean guy will not have a choice in the matter. The cops on scene already charged the boy and that's that. They could fight it, but I seriously doubt they would get very far.

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you. I hope you are feeling better soon too.

4 Dog Mother
11-25-2008, 09:55 AM
I unfortunately have been involved in several rear end accidents. It is up to the person behind you to stop no matter why you are stopped. It's called assured clear distance and/or failure to stop. His insurance should have to pay no matter what. If the police cited the boy, I don't think there is any way they can get out of paying.

In one accident I was in, a person in front of me stopped to turn left. I stopped but the person behind me didn't. She hit me and pushed me into the person in front of me. The person who hit me had to pay for both my car and the car in front of me and they are the ones that got cited. Thankfully the person I hit told the officer I was stopped and so did a couple of witnesses.

I am so very glad that both you and the baby are okay!

lizbud
11-25-2008, 10:07 AM
I unfortunately have been involved in several rear end accidents. It is up to the person behind you to stop no matter why you are stopped. It's called assured clear distance and/or failure to stop. His insurance should have to pay no matter what. If the police cited the boy, I don't think there is any way they can get out of paying.

It works the sam way in Indiana. His insurance should pay no matter
how the father feels about it. It's the law. I am very glad you weren't
hurt. Try not to worry. Does your insurance company give you a rental
car to drive while you get your car fixed. The other guy pays for that too.

Cinder & Smoke
11-25-2008, 11:26 AM
... my baby...thankfully she is OK. I am also mostly OK, but I am super-sore today
and of course I don't have a working vehicle either.

... he hit me from behind ...

I called their insurance today to see what was going on,
and they didn't even report the accident yet,
so I did!! :eek:

You also need to report the accident to YOUR insurance company's Claim Department!
It's YOUR insurance company that should chase after the Kid's insurance company
to get things moving. If there are any disputes, YOUR insurance company should
arrange to have YOUR vehicle repaired, deducting only the collision deductible amount
and paying all other repair costs. Then when the Other Guy's insurance admits fault,
the Other Guy's insurance will reimburse Your insurance company for what they paid
toward your car, AND reimburse you for the deductible you had to pay.

Check with your company's adjustor to see if you're entitled to a rental/loaner
vehicle while yours isn't drivable. At the final settlement - HIS insurance should pick up
the tab for your rental/loaner.

Long story short - you need YOUR insurance company to get involved and
work for you!

;)

kuhio98
11-25-2008, 11:29 AM
I was hit from behind by a teenager years ago. Like you, I was fine at the time, but so sore the next day. The girl who hit me was very sweet and nice. It wasn't her fault. Yes, she shouldn't have been following so closely, but someone pulled in front of me to take an exit at the last moment and I had to slam on my brakes. She just barely tapped me (years before air bags). We exchanged information and she went home. A few days later, I called and her mother answered. I was calling to see how her daughter was -- was she as sore as I was. Well, she went off on me! She ranted and raved like I had set her daughter up to rear end me! I listened for a few seconds hung up the phone after saying "Have a nice day" in the same tone you would say "F-you".

Taz_Zoee
11-25-2008, 11:53 AM
In one accident I was in, a person in front of me stopped to turn left. I stopped but the person behind me didn't. She hit me and pushed me into the person in front of me. The person who hit me had to pay for both my car and the car in front of me and they are the ones that got cited. Thankfully the person I hit told the officer I was stopped and so did a couple of witnesses.

That's exactly how I thought my sisters accident should have been handled. I thought the person at the very back that CAUSED the accident should be responsible for ALL the cars involved. But that wasn't the case. Each person was responsible for the car they hit. And they were all stopped at a red light!! Like I said - it was becuase they didn't leave a "safe space" between them and the car in front of them. Even when this happened I was thinking - so what if I DID leave a safe space and I'm at a complete stop and someone comes up behind me going 40 -50 mph? No matter how far behind the car I am I will probably hit it being pushed at such a speed.

Husky_mom
11-25-2008, 12:19 PM
I just donīt get this parents... they are mad and frustrated becaus of what tehir kids did... and they yell at you as if it was your fault his/her kid hit you...:rolleyes:

I havenīt been rear ended... I have rear ended someone...:p.. just a lil kissy kiss but my hood scrunched like foil... (it was missing a part that holded it together so it had no support at all)... hehe... I wasnīt even on 20kms.,, we were on a red light and it went green... so I moved but the car ahead didnīt.. LOL

and one huge bad exp. was a side hit... the guy hit me while I was passing my green (he speed his red, although it had been red for a while)... and got me .... I spinned... stopped... and watched him leave...:mad: I tried to follow but my car wouldnīt cooperate... :( ... it was a wreck with insurance .... thankfully no sores at all....

in your case watch for whiplash (or however you call it).. the movement like a whip that a head makes in that situation....

take care... and letīs hope the other persons are not much more pain than they are now..

shepgirl
11-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Yes, been there. Stopped for a red light and could see the car with the other driver looking around...I beeped but got the finger from the guy in front who thought I was beeping him and then felt the car hit mine. We had a trailer hitch so her rad got smashed, did little damage to my car, but next day I had to go to ER and got to wear a collar for 6 weeks...that hurt more than the car.

pomtzu
11-25-2008, 01:26 PM
First of all - glad that you're okay.

Second - let the kid's father rant all he wants - he doesn't have a leg to stand on! You were hit from behind - it's his fault whether he agrees or not. And you shouldn't be dealing with his insurance company at all - that's the job of YOUR insurance company. Just make sure that your company has all the details and a copy of the police report.

I was rear-ended by a woman who gave false insurance and residence info to the police investigating, so even tho my car was repaired and the bill picked up by my insurance, they never were able to track down the woman that hit me and collect from her. :mad:

emily_the_spoiled
11-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Unfortunately I have had the experience on more than one occasion (five to be exact). Generally to be on the safe side I report the accident to both insurance companies (I like to cover my bases). My preference is not to get my company involved because then it can prolong the time it takes to get things fixed, but this way they will have a record of it in case they need to become involved.

There is not much the other family can do to prevent you from getting your car fixed. They can not tell the insurance company not to pay out. They may not have wanted to report it because now their rates will go up and they may have thought you might have decided not to.

Their insurance should provide you with a rental car while your's is being repaired. If your car was totally, generally you will get the car for a full week and to allow you time to buy a new one. (In one of the accidents my car was totalled.)

But, I am glad that you and the baby are safe. Unfortunately you maybe stiff for a few days (but is your excuse to get out of cooking Thanksgiving dinner :D)

Suki Wingy
11-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Yes but I was about 10 so all I really remember was the sitting around waiting for a taxi to take us home. :rolleyes:

caseysmom
11-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Shame on the father for not asking you if you are okay. I have a teen driver, if she hit a pregnant woman that would be the first question I would ask, what the hell is wrong with people?

jazzcat
11-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Glad you are okay.

I was rear-ended by a woman back in April and she fled the scene. Everyone around got her plate number but the police just took the report and didn't investigate since I wasn't injured. My insurance investigated and found out she didn't have insurance so it came under my uninsured driver coverage thank goodness. I hope karma makes a visit to that lady who hit me.

slick
11-25-2008, 10:46 PM
On October 14th of this year I was on my way to work after 2 weeks vacation....first day back. I was at a stop light, there were about 4 cars ahead of me. I took my foot off the brake and only just started to hit the gas when I was seriously hit from behind. The major damage was to my passenger side rear...both back and side bumper. The guy who hit me was charged...he was under the influence of drugs. He admitted to me that he was probably asleep at the wheel because he was up all night the night before. :rolleyes:

My car is fixed now but they were on the fence about it for awhile. The blue book value of my car is only about $7,000 and the total damage came to just under $6,000. I'm still get some massage therapy for my neck. Have not settled with the insurance company yet. Worse yet, the value of my car is now down to about $2,000. :(

Rear enders are a slam dunk. His insurance should cover 100% of the repair job to your car, but others are right. I hope by now you've contacted your insurance agent. You should be entitled to a loaner car until yours is fixed.

...but it's not that. It's the total inconvenience of it. You have no mode of transportation, you probably have to take time off work for therapy (and please be careful because injuries can show up months later), you car, no matter what the damage, will never be the same again...it goes on and on, all because of the stupidity of one driver.:mad:

I'm glad that you and the baby are OK and I hope things getting settled for you quickly.

blue
11-26-2008, 12:51 AM
Go see a chiropractor, and claim it against his insurance. The start of my back problems was getting rear ended.

Pembroke_Corgi
11-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks for your replies. It makes me feel better to hear that those of you who were unfortunately involved in these kinds of accidents ultimately had it resolved. I'm sorry to hear that so many of you have had this happen to you, though!

Since my car was old, we had only liability insurance on it, so of course my insurance is not going to pay for any damage on my car...so I just hope that the other company is not too shady and the other driver doesn't lie about what happened. (His insurance company, a major company, said they "Don't base liability on who the police find at fault"- seems kind of weird to me). I would really like this all worked out soon so I never have to think about it again, but I know it will take some time.

carole
11-26-2008, 12:25 PM
oh yes have had it happen to us when my daughter was little in her car seat, thank goodness we were all ok, and I am so relieved you are as well.

My son was very unfortunate to be rear ended by a very nasty person, who denied it,and tried to blame my son, well in NZ you rear-end anyone you are always at fault, we had to take her to small claims court to get some money out of her, she refused to claim on her insurance.

I was the support person with my son, at court, and she lied through her teeth, it was awful, i could not keep quiet, although i am meant to, she then used this to get the case appealed, luckily she was turned down, she was ordered to pay, she only paid about half of it, then stopped, we also had to go back to the court, and she said she had no money,(another lie) and they accepted that, very unfair.

To cut a long story short, this person then appeared in the newspaper, she had done many people out of thousands and thousands of dollars through her businesses,we actually were one of the lucky ones to even get a cent out of her, she took off to australia, and unfortunately the police won't bother taking her back to NZ, no doubt this criminal is doing exactly the same over there.

I am sorry you have had experience this, and i hope you don't have as many problems as we did.

emily_the_spoiled
11-26-2008, 12:37 PM
You might find this link useful. It talks about car accidents and insurance in Colorado.

http://accident-law.freeadvice.com/auto/colorado-car-accident.htm

Good luck with everything and in the mean time just enjoy the holiday.