PDA

View Full Version : Snowflake stencils

Medusa
11-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Before I run myself ragged, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows if stencils even exist any more. I mean the kind that you stencil onto windows that wash off, not the kind that you apply to your walls. Since I'm doing the nostalgia thing and just purchased a DVD of "Amahl and the Night Visitors", I thought I'd be a kid again and stencil some snowflakes on my windows. Know where I can buy some? I guess I can look online but if some place local sells them, such as Walmart, I'll go there.

jennielynn1970
11-23-2008, 03:21 PM
You should be able to get that spray snow at Walmart or CVS or somewhere like that. You could make your own stencils and then use the spray snow. I'd even try the dollar stores.

Or order from here:
Santa spray snow (http://www.christmas-decorations-gifts-store.com/store/PPF/Category_ID/224/products.asp)

Medusa
11-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Now, why didn't I think of the $ stores? And thanx for reminding me that it's spray for the stencils. I was sitting here wondering "Now what did we use to actually make the design?" I was thinking that we sponged on a solution since this was back in the dark ages when I was a mere child. LOL

Freedom
11-23-2008, 05:27 PM
You maybe could find snow flake clings as well? I know you want the nostalgia. Just a thought is all.

Medusa
11-23-2008, 05:28 PM
You maybe could find snow flake clings as well? I know you want the nostalgia. Just a thought is all.

Well, if I can't find the stencils, I'll look for the clings. Thanx! :)

pomtzu
11-23-2008, 06:31 PM
Now, why didn't I think of the $ stores? And thanx for reminding me that it's spray for the stencils. I was sitting here wondering "Now what did we use to actually make the design?" I was thinking that we sponged on a solution since this was back in the dark ages when I was a mere child. LOL

It was sponged on - I remember my mother doing it. It seems to me that there was a "paste" form of Windex back then, and that's what was used. It came in a can. Anyway - it was thick, and when the snowflakes were ready to be removed, you just took a wet rag to them and the windows got cleaned at the same time!
And that was back in the dinosauer age!!!

It just came to me - it was Glasswax - not Windex!

Medusa
11-23-2008, 07:32 PM
It was sponged on - I remember my mother doing it. It seems to me that there was a "paste" form of Windex back then, and that's what was used. It came in a can. Anyway - it was thick, and when the snowflakes were ready to be removed, you just took a wet rag to them and the windows got cleaned at the same time!
And that was back in the dinosauer age!!!

It just came to me - it was Glasswax - not Windex!

Glass Wax! Yes! Is it even made any more?

pomtzu
11-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Glass Wax! Yes! Is it even made any more?

I was wondering too - so I googled it. It's now called Window Wax and you can get it on line - and stencils too! :)

kelli1843
11-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Wow, you brought back some memories! We used to use soap powder (like Tide), mixed with food coloring to "decorate" our windows. Only thing, after couple weeks, that stuff got hard and crusty to scrub off!

Sounds like you'll have some fun decorating!

kitten645
11-24-2008, 11:13 AM
I got to thinking about this and was pondering something more organic. Maybe a baking soda paste? Maybe Martha has some stencils online? In the 70's it was a spray can thing that I'm SURE was highly toxic:eek::rolleyes::D Maybe you can cut some doillies into star shapes?
Claudia

cyber-sibes
11-24-2008, 02:24 PM
I was thinking that we sponged on a solution since this was back in the dark ages when I was a mere child. LOLI remember doing that too! It was Glass Wax. They still make it, but I think you may have to go to a hardware store, check on-line. And it's true - nothing cleans glass as well as Glass Wax & elbow grease!
**And I found these authentic 1950's stencils (http://www.tias.com/cgi-bin/showcase-item.cgi?itemKey=3923506862&store=/stores/mll)!

I still have some Glass Wax around here someplace... I think I just might do this this year! Thanks for the inspiration!