PDA

View Full Version : I didn't get lost ONCE yesterday...

moosmom
11-23-2008, 08:06 AM
because everyone was telling me where to go!!!

I got called into work yesterday at 8:30 am after working an 11 hour shift the day before. I was first told to work up at Customer Service. 5 minutes later I was told to go ring on Register 1. Okay. Over to 1 I go. A few minutes later I come back from the ladies room to find someone else ringing on Register 1. *sigh* I'm then told to go all the way down to Register 5 to ring. Alrighty then, off to Register 5 I go.

By the time I finished my shift, I had to ask where the exit door was!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Did I get lost yesterday??? Heck no!!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of retail AND the beginning of the Christmas shopping season. AAAAAACCCCKKKKK!!!!!!

shepgirl
11-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Sounds like quite a day, stressful to say the least. That's one reason I never lose patience with whoever is ringing up my purchases, you never know what has been happening...now I'll remember your post when I shop. Retail doesn't sound too great.

moosmom
11-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Shepgirl,

Don't worry, once Christmas is over with, we have the awesome job of RETURNS AND EXCHANGES!!! Doesn't let up till after the new year.

Cataholic
11-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Fa-la-la-la-la...right?

Moosmom, here is one to throw back at you. I went to a bird feed store Friday. Very upscale..you know, seed, feeders, bird baths, jewelry...not just the feed store.

I said to the clerk, "I'll take 5-20 pound bags of your red bag...." which sits at the front door and is loaded onto a gurney and taken out to your car. Well, she thought I said a 5 pound bag...which would last me a minute. AND, why wouldn't I have brought one five bag up to the counter? I am old, but, not feeble.

Anyhow, we straightened that out, without any issue and she rung up my purchase. At this moment, Jonah decided to play the gongs in the store. I turned around, immediately, to tell him to stop. Which he did. I had started to walk towards him, too, but, since he stopped immediately, I turned right back around.

Quicker than the second clerk thought I would, obviously, as it was JUST in time to see and hear her whisper to the first clerk, "I heard her say 5 pounds, too". WTF? IF I said 5 pounds, who cares. I had already apologized for my apparent transgression. And, it wasn't a big deal....until this nitwit felt it necessary to "justify" the first clerk's position on 5 pounds versus 5 20 pound bags. It was totally ridiculous, and I said so to the second clerk. I asked her why she would think it appropriate to make that comment in front of a customer? One that was spending $150 in her store on bird feed, I might add. She had the gall to say to me, "oh, no, you misunderstood, I was just saying that cause MY hearing was off, too". Oh, yeah, right.

So, I KNOW it stinks in retail. I know it. Sometimes, though, it stinks being a customer, too.

shepgirl
11-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Man, after reading these posts all I can say is I'm glad I am not in retail...does not sound like a picnic. Some tellers can be rude, been there...I try to give them the benefit of the doubt or I give a smart response, depends on how rude I think.

K9karen
11-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Ick. I hated retail too. I worked part time at a large (now defunct) department store.

I started out in better dresses. Nothing makes you appreciate human nature more (:rolleyes:) than cleaning the dressing rooms at the end of the night and finding a white gown on the floor with baby poop on it and a dirty diaper. Oh yessiree. *Turns and walks out and transfers to handbags*

One Christmas, being short handed as usual, it was just me and my coworker, a lovely, loony 80+ year old woman. We were told to open all 5 registers in the department. Nice. Anyway, management calls after the store closed and asks where I am with the register tills. All 5. I told them that they couldn't send me any help all day and now want me to rush so they can leave. So, I threatened to walk out with the tills open and suddenly 2 managers appeared and helped. I quit soon afterwards.

Dealing with people sight unseen on the phone is much better. I did it for over 30 years. Loved the hold button. And a group of us had secret "not so nice" flash cards and that really helped!

Hang in there Donna. it stinks but someone has to do it!