PDA

View Full Version : Reggie's Guide to Layering Clothes

Hellow
11-22-2008, 11:06 PM
Heh, with the upcoming winter season for the United States and surrounding countries, I thought this would be a good idea. Layering is an important part of keeping warm during the winter season, without it, expect to catch colds near constantly. So, lets get to it. I will first make a list of what should go on (in order), then I will describe what purpose each serves:
Wicking layer
Insulating Layer (may wear more than one)
Protective Layer (Outer Shell)Wicking Layer: This layer is designed to take away moisture from the body, thereby keeping anything that could get cold (water) away. In this, we include thermal trousers. Jeans get cold very easily and can nearly freeze if they get wet, so wear thermal trousers in place of them. One fabric to avoid, which has already been mentioned, is cotton. It retains moisture rather than removing it, thereby holding moisture in places that you do not want.

Insulating Layer: The name of this layer describes its purpose perfectly: keep warm in and cold out. Good fabrics for this is fleece, wool, silk, and down feathers. You can wear more than one of these layers, because the more of these you have, the warmer you are.

Protective Layer (Outer Shell): This layer is supposed to keep things like snow and rain out and help to keep warmth in, while releasing moisture. This is where all the hoods, pockets, and the like need to be. This can be a giant coat or just a waterproof shell, either one works fine.

I hope this guide helps everyone in the upcoming winter months.

Karen
11-22-2008, 11:11 PM
Just a disclaimer/correction. One does not catch a cold from being cold. That's a myth.

And there is no reason to "exclude denim" from the category of cotton in the "wicking layer" - denim is cotton. When it gets wet, it stays wet, just like all cotton.

jennielynn1970
11-23-2008, 12:32 AM
hey Reggie... got some time to look up good socks that can be layered. I want socks that will wick away sweat in winter boots, but really thick wool socks or whatever, to wear over them so that my feet are "big enough" to take up more space in the boots I got (they didn't have any 1/2 sizes, so they're a bit big). If they can be ordered on line, even better. Unless they have things like this at Burlington, TJ Maxx or Marshalls or Ross. I hate paying a ton for socks.

Hellow
11-23-2008, 08:16 AM
hey Reggie... got some time to look up good socks that can be layered. I want socks that will wick away sweat in winter boots, but really thick wool socks or whatever, to wear over them so that my feet are "big enough" to take up more space in the boots I got (they didn't have any 1/2 sizes, so they're a bit big). If they can be ordered on line, even better. Unless they have things like this at Burlington, TJ Maxx or Marshalls or Ross. I hate paying a ton for socks.

Hmm, I have never had to layer socks before, although I have heard that they can restrict blood flow to your feet and make you colder. Probably the best socks for this would be made by Carhartt.

Lady's Human
11-23-2008, 09:02 AM
Socks for CW....

it all depends on what you define as "cold weather....."

I've got outfits for everything from cool (20-30 degrees) to what the army defines as cold.......-30 and colder. I have a pair of boots I don't even THINK about putting on until the mercury dips below -20 F.

It also depends on activity level, time you're expecting to spend outside, wind conditions, etc.

Catty1
11-23-2008, 09:46 AM
I used to date a guy that was a hiking/outdoor expert.

He said to wear thin(like men's dress) nylon socks first, then the heavier sock over those, as the nylon wicked away the moisture to the outer sock.

I still recall being in the Arctic when I was a kid and putting on the footwear to walk to school in - 60 F temps: heavy winter work socks, then the stitched duffel sock, THEN the tightly sewn and hand-beaded mukluks (done locally by people before it became a trendy tourist and fashion thing!). Mukluks had a drawstring right around the top - tie it up, and away you go. Light as a feather, and perfect outdoor/indoor wear! Never came off til we got home.:)

Cataholic
11-23-2008, 01:23 PM
I waited outside in the cold last week and I was pretty sad to learn that my cold weather gear was pretty much worthless. Now, I typically don't stand outside in the cold, but, I would be much better prepared if I did so again! Course, that would be after a trip to the store to buy 'real' CW gear.

In other news, I do have two sleeping bags, both used less than one time (I alternated between them..he he). One is good up to 15 degrees, the other one -20. Or, the opposite. Both called, "mummy style". Anyone interested in purchasing them, cheap, let me know by pm. I paid $40 for one and $80 for the other. :)

Cinder & Smoke
11-23-2008, 05:40 PM
In other news, I do have two sleeping bags, both used less than one time ...

Anyone interested in purchasing them, cheap, let me know by pm.

Hey - what happened to The Plan to 'camp at Findlay' for the Dawg Gathurins?

I thought the Lil Munchkin was thinkin that would be *phunn* to do?
:confused:

RICHARD
11-23-2008, 06:51 PM
California isnt a 'hotbed' of cold weather but I found a good sub for the sock liners that can cost a bundle.

Baseball sanitary socks. They are the cotton socks that players wear under their stirrup socks, they are cheap and lightweight.

Take a pair of medium weight wool socks and boots, you are golden.

Leather boots with SnoSeal worked into the leather will keep your feet warm.

-----------

The whole idea of staying warm is staying dry.

A Goretex jacket is nice, but costly. There were times I was caught at work with no raincoat. Find a trash bag or keep one handy-When you ride a bike or motorcycle you learn quickly- A trash bag vest will get you home with no problems.

The key to staying warm is to get creative. A thermal long sleeve shirt, a tee shirt and a down jacket is a good lightweight option.

I purchased some of the first polypropolene under shirts and they were expensive, itchy and were not machine washable. They cloth/fabric were like sandpaper against the skin and not good against the skin. The collars and cuffs sucked and were sand paper smooth.

I now that they tech for outdoor clothes is better than it was 20 years ago, and you can stay warm and dry without investing gobs of money for clothes.

Or you can move to California.:eek:

caseysmom
11-23-2008, 06:52 PM
I bought some cute sweaters and would love to be able to wear them without sweating:rolleyes:

Cataholic
11-24-2008, 06:23 AM
Hey - what happened to The Plan to 'camp at Findlay' for the Dawg Gathurins?

I thought the Lil Munchkin was thinkin that would be *phunn* to do?
:confused:

Oh, make no bones about it!! Jones wants to camp, he was ready to camp out with me that night, in 20 degree temps. Apparently these bags I have wouldn't work in moderate temperatures, we would overheat. That was what I was told, anyhow.

Cinder & Smoke
11-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Apparently these bags I have wouldn't work in moderate temperatures,
we would overheat.

<snikker>

You could just *turn down the thermostat*, ya know.

*Thermostat* ... also called "The ZIPPER"!

:D