PDA

View Full Version : About Pet Shop

sean11
11-22-2008, 01:30 PM
Hi,
I am planing to open pet shop. I need some advices and help. Anyone who willing to give advice or help please leave msg.

Thanks

Okan

Taz_Zoee
11-22-2008, 02:02 PM
What do you mean when you say "pet" shop? Are you planning on selling animals, or just supplies?
I know if you plan on selling animals you will hear SEVERAL opinions here on Pet Talk. Most (pretty much ALL) of us are against puppy mills and BYB (backyard breeders) and that's usually what "pet shops" sell. Now I do not know your intentions so please don't take offense.

sean11
11-22-2008, 03:35 PM
well mainly I want to work on foods and supplies. but for sure I want to sell small pets like birds turtles hamsters....

*LabLoverKEB*
11-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Couldn't of said it better myself.;)

sean11
11-23-2008, 09:35 AM
I was honnest what I was saying.

Catty1
11-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Hi, Sean - I think a good way to start would be to ask some pet shop owners in your area for an "information interview". That means you get an appointment with them, and ask them about starting and running a pet shop. That way, you learn from experts.

You will get all kinds of business information that way...how much it will cost, what licenses you have to have, and other good stuff! Plus you get to visit all the pets. :)

Let us know how it goes.

Taz_Zoee
11-23-2008, 10:17 AM
Well, that's good that you aren't planning on selling dogs and cats. Otherwise, I have no advice for you. Sorry.
But good luck. Have you searched online? Or Catty1's advice was excellent too. :D

carole
11-23-2008, 12:19 PM
If you do venture into selling cats or dogs,then PLEASE make sure you sell them with a spaying or neutering certificate,this means when they are old enough to be fixed, the buyer already has a voucher, this ensures that the pets you are selling do not go on to breed unwanted babies.

Only one pet store in my city does this, and it infuriates me how irresponsible other pet stores are.

Also make sure that you hire suitable staff that really do know something about the care of animals, i was in a pet store the other day, two kittens were play fighting ,and the young girl said they don't like each other and took one out of the cage, she would have put it back, but i did say that is normal for kittens and healthy, she then took it on the counter, she was distracted and it nearly fell off the counter, i was really annoyed, it was obvious this young employee knew very little about kittens.

Alot of people on PT are against the selling of cats and dogs in pet stores,however the only thing i wonder about is what happens to these animals that would normally get homes through the store,i think they have a place,but just as long as it is done properly.,i don't think we have puppy mills in NZ, but i am not sure about that.

Anyhow wishing you success in your new venture.

sean11
11-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Hi, Sean - I think a good way to start would be to ask some pet shop owners in your area for an "information interview". That means you get an appointment with them, and ask them about starting and running a pet shop. That way, you learn from experts.

You will get all kinds of business information that way...how much it will cost, what licenses you have to have, and other good stuff! Plus you get to visit all the pets. :)

Let us know how it goes.
Well thanks for your advice but I do not think other pet shop owners will give you their informations. At the end this is their job and they no want rival. So be sure that they will not help out. They will simply tell me this is bad job and do not open pet shop.

sean11
11-23-2008, 02:02 PM
If you do venture into selling cats or dogs,then PLEASE make sure you sell them with a spaying or neutering certificate,this means when they are old enough to be fixed, the buyer already has a voucher, this ensures that the pets you are selling do not go on to breed unwanted babies.

Only one pet store in my city does this, and it infuriates me how irresponsible other pet stores are.

Also make sure that you hire suitable staff that really do know something about the care of animals, i was in a pet store the other day, two kittens were play fighting ,and the young girl said they don't like each other and took one out of the cage, she would have put it back, but i did say that is normal for kittens and healthy, she then took it on the counter, she was distracted and it nearly fell off the counter, i was really annoyed, it was obvious this young employee knew very little about kittens.

Alot of people on PT are against the selling of cats and dogs in pet stores,however the only thing i wonder about is what happens to these animals that would normally get homes through the store,i think they have a place,but just as long as it is done properly.,i don't think we have puppmillsbe in NZ, but i am not sure about that.

Anyhow wishing you success in your new venture. I am not planing to work on dogs or cats. I my self have 3 cats and 2 dogs and they were all homeless. I adopt them from streets and peoples who can not look after. On employe you are right. I must be carefull but I am will be there so I can control my self. I am also dealing with a vet about my bussines so I belive he will be helpfull. We are planing to open animal hospital. I am not against dog or cat sale on pet shop. I know some pet shops help peoples sell their puppy. This is kind of helping the owner and also earning smal money.

caseysmom
11-23-2008, 02:04 PM

Alot of people on PT are against the selling of cats and dogs in pet stores,however the only thing i wonder about is what happens to these animals that would normally get homes through the store,i think they have a place,but just as long as it is done properly.,i don't think we have puppy mills in NZ, but i am not sure about that.

Anyhow wishing you success in your new venture.

Pet stores are the main reason for puppy mills in the U.S. IF pet stores would stop selling puppies the puppy mills would have no demand and quit producing these puppies. I would never buy a pet from a pet store.

caseysmom
11-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Which country are you planning on doing this in?

sean11
11-23-2008, 02:11 PM
Which country are you planning on doing this in?
Cyprus

caseysmom
11-23-2008, 02:19 PM
I don't know anything about Cyprus. Are there animal shelters there? Are pets obtained mostly by accidental breeding? If so this is an opportunity for you to make a difference and provide education regarding spaying and neutering.

sean11
11-23-2008, 02:27 PM
I don't know anything about Cyprus. Are there animal shelters there? Are pets obtained mostly by accidental breeding? If so this is an opportunity for you to make a difference and provide education regarding spaying and neutering.
yes we have some shelters. They collect unwanted or street dogs.