PDA

View Full Version : I guess I'm going to have to learn to bake

Medusa
11-22-2008, 12:18 PM
I love to cook because if I mess up a recipe, I can always somehow make it right. Ok, usually, not always. Baking is too precise. Anyhow, I bought a nut roll today and couldn't wait to get home and sit down w/a cup of decaf and enjoy it. Yuk! It was like biting into sawdust. So I thought I'd spread some butter on it and nuke it for a few seconds. Now it takes like warm, buttery sawdust. I guess I'm spoiled on my late sister Dorothy's nut roll which she made w/black walnuts and jampacked that thing w/nut spread. It didn't need doctoring ever. I've changed my mind, though. I still don't want to learn to bake. I'd rather gritch. ;)

pomtzu
11-22-2008, 12:32 PM
If you can read a recipe, and you have measuring spoons and measuring cups, THEN YOU CAN BAKE!!! There's nothing to mess up!!! Start with something simple - like pumpkin bread ;) - it really is sooooooooo easy! :p Want my recipe?

Medusa
11-22-2008, 12:35 PM
If you can read a recipe, and you have measuring spoons and measuring cups, THEN YOU CAN BAKE!!! There's nothing to mess up!!! Start with something simple - like pumpkin bread ;) - it really is sooooooooo easy! :p Want my recipe?

This has been my experience: years ago when I was renting, I had an electric oven and, believe it or not, I did have a few recipes that turned out pretty well. Since I bought his house, though, it came w/a gas oven and cooking w/gas, I love but I've noticed that baking w/a gas oven just doesn't work. Or is it the baker, ie., moi? ;)

pomtzu
11-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Cluck-cluck-cluck (chicken)

I have to admit tho - I don't really like baking with gas either. Electric is much more precise and everything comes out better. :D Guess you're off the hook!

Randi
11-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Mary, your gas oven is no excuse! LOL! I don't think I have ever baked in an electric, so give it another try!

This link has some very easy shortbread recipes, they're quick and easy. :)

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search?q=shortbread

Medusa
11-22-2008, 01:37 PM
I knew I wouldn't get off easy, doggone it. ;)

Karen
11-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Mary, buy yourself a bag of Nestles chocolate chips, and follow the recipe for Toll House Cookies on the back. They are how I gauge and new oven I encounter, gas, electric or other. And they are pretty darned easy, and taste good no matter what the results look like. And you will have volunteers to help use up the proceeds no matter what. Follow the recipe, and put the first tray in to bake. Set your timer for 10 minutes, even though the bag says 12 ...

Check them at ten, see what they look like. If the middles still seem uncooked, but the dges are already dark, you know your oven is running too hot, just turn the temp down a bit. Put 'em back in. If they seem just not quite done - edges not very dark, middles still looking a tad undone, you oven is probably fine, and they'll be perfect at 12 minutes. If they are still not browning on the edges at 12 minutes, and seem to have spread out a LOT, you can leave them in a few more minutes, but that just means your oven isn't quite up to temperature ...

See, tollhouse cookies - yummy, and helpful as a diagnostic tool, too! :)

Taz_Zoee
11-22-2008, 02:00 PM
That is so funny, because I love to bake but do NOT cook. I think I've baked in a gas oven before, up at our condo in Tahoe. But it was just a box batch of brownies. My homemade brownies are MUCH better. :p
I am the cake maker for birthday's and holidays on Bruce's side of the family. I cannot go to my family (or some friends) during the holidays without my brownies. I make two different kinds and give half of each. That is my gift for my friends husbands. :)
I'm wondering if I like to bake because it is so precise. I'm not good at adding a bit of this or that to make it better. Give me a recipe and I'll follow it to a tee.

Medusa
11-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Mary, buy yourself a bag of Nestles chocolate chips, and follow the recipe for Toll House Cookies on the back. They are how I gauge and new oven I encounter, gas, electric or other. And they are pretty darned easy, and taste good no matter what the results look like. And you will have volunteers to help use up the proceeds no matter what. Follow the recipe, and put the first tray in to bake. Set your timer for 10 minutes, even though the bag says 12 ...

Check them at ten, see what they look like. If the middles still seem uncooked, but the dges are already dark, you know your oven is running too hot, just turn the temp down a bit. Put 'em back in. If they seem just not quite done - edges not very dark, middles still looking a tad undone, you oven is probably fine, and they'll be perfect at 12 minutes. If they are still not browning on the edges at 12 minutes, and seem to have spread out a LOT, you can leave them in a few more minutes, but that just means your oven isn't quite up to temperature ...

See, tollhouse cookies - yummy, and helpful as a diagnostic tool, too! :)

Hmmm, I did bake toll house cookies years ago and as I recall they turned out pretty good, too, but again, I baked them in an electric oven. Ok, next trip to the grocery store, I'll buy the ingredients and experiment. Thanx, Karen. :)

Medusa
11-22-2008, 02:04 PM
That is so funny, because I love to bake but do NOT cook. I think I've baked in a gas oven before, up at our condo in Tahoe. But it was just a box batch of brownies. My homemade brownies are MUCH better. :p
I am the cake maker for birthday's and holidays on Bruce's side of the family. I cannot go to my family (or some friends) during the holidays without my brownies. I make two different kinds and give half of each. That is my gift for my friends husbands. :)
I'm wondering if I like to bake because it is so precise. I'm not good at adding a bit of this or that to make it better. Give me a recipe and I'll follow it to a tee.

When I worked at the church rectory, the "brownie man" came in every once in a while. He baked them and if you didn't grab one immediately, you could forget about having one later. They were the yummiest, most moist brownies I had ever tasted, no frosting either. Deelish!

Taz_Zoee
11-22-2008, 02:11 PM
When I worked at the church rectory, the "brownie man" came in every once in a while. He baked them and if you didn't grab one immediately, you could forget about having one later. They were the yummiest, most moist brownies I had ever tasted, no frosting either. Deelish!

Yep, neither of mine have frosting either. One is chocolate chunks and the other is peanut butter chocolate. :D

jennielynn1970
11-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Hey, I bake with gas, and as long as the oven works, baked goods come out fine, lol.

I found out that you CANNOT put a pan on the lower rack to catch drippings of pies because that will block the heat and cause the oven to overheat. That's what happened the last time when the oven overheated. I had no idea I couldn't do that!

Baking is precise, however, let me tell you a story...
When I was in elementary school and middle school I HATED math. Hated it with a passion and basically failed everything past long division. I did love to bake, and never considered it math.

My bus got me home about an hour before my mom would get home from her job at school. In that amount of time, I would take a recipe for cookies and cut it down from making 36 to 4 or 6. Mix it, bake them, and eat them. All before mom got home. :o:o

Never ever did I realize back then that that was math. Division. Once mom caught me, but then said how good the cookies were and she couldn't believe I could do that!

I'm positive there are some things that I didn't cut down exactly, like baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar (my favorite cookie to make is still Snickerdoodles), so it wasn't THAT precise.

Go for it, I say!! If you're not sure of your oven's temp, buy an oven thermometer and make sure it's right, or if it's too high or too low, adjust your dial/digital accordingly.

For me, baking is therapeutic. If I'm pissed off and frustrated my favorite thing to bake is bread. You have to knead it and punch it down and all that good stuff, lol! I also do a lot of pastries. Tedious work, but it takes my mind off of what ever is bothering me. I'll attach a pic of my Xmas gift to my mom and dad last year. I made my mom an apricot danish pastry, and my dad's was cheese danish pastry. All with home made puff pastry dough.

Unbaked:
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/HPIM0879.jpg

Finished (a bit too dark)
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/HPIM0882.jpg

jennielynn1970
11-22-2008, 02:23 PM
This one won at county fairs...

Nut Rolls

Dough
1/4 lb butter
1/4 lb margerine
1/2 c. sour cream
1/4 c. warm water
5 oz. evaporated milk
2 eggs
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
5 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 - 2 1/2 tsp. yeast

Filling
2 lbs walnuts
1/4 c. milk
2 Tbsp melted butter
1 c. sugar

Melt butter and margerine. Cool it. Add water and milk, sour cream, eggs, beat well. Add yeast. Mix in flour, blend well. Knead on a floured board. Form into a ball and refridgerate in the fridge overnight.

Next day, roll into long square/rectangle. Spread on filling. Roll up, seal the ends. Place on greased cookie sheet, let raise 30 minutes till almost double. Bake at 375* for 30-35 minutes. Use fork to poke air holes in the roll before baking!!!

Freedom
11-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Mary, I grew up with electric. Every apartment I rented had electric. Every place I went, lived, visited, electric.

Seven years ago I bought this house; gas! I am terrified of an open flame. I told Dad we would have to convert it to electric before I would move in.

Famous last words.

Here I am, 7 years later, cooking and baking with gas and loving it. I'm still terrified of the open flame, but once I put the pan on I am all set.

You CAN bake with gas! lol

RICHARD
11-22-2008, 02:43 PM

Are you nuts?

That sucker is perfect!

The oatmeal cookie recipe on the back of QUAKER OATS are the BOMB!

--------------------

LOL, I Like to bake too. I made a cake the other day, left it out to cool and forgot about it. I had an ant party on my table the next day.

And another thing is do not use SWEET AND LOW-Told this story before,

I made some kind of cake and the recipe asked for sugar sprinkled on the top- I put S&L on it-it's a sugar substitute? Right?

It's tasted like burnt S&L.

Be precise, but you can do it!

shepgirl
11-22-2008, 02:55 PM
Hmm...looks delicious but i don't think I would attempt that. My excuse for not baking is that i don't want to gain weight...seems to work out okay for me. I will bake banana loaves or carrot pineapple loaves but only because they're so easy.

Cataholic
11-22-2008, 03:01 PM
That DOES look delicious!!!
I have a gas oven and I do think it is harder to bake with it. Buy a temp gauge...that could help you some.

Medusa
11-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Hey, I bake with gas, and as long as the oven works, baked goods come out fine, lol.

I found out that you CANNOT put a pan on the lower rack to catch drippings of pies because that will block the heat and cause the oven to overheat. That's what happened the last time when the oven overheated. I had no idea I couldn't do that!

When I was in elementary school and middle school I HATED math. Hated it with a passion and basically failed everything past long division. I did love to bake, and never considered it math.

My bus got me home about an hour before my mom would get home from her job at school. In that amount of time, I would take a recipe for cookies and cut it down from making 36 to 4 or 6. Mix it, bake them, and eat them. All before mom got home. :o:o

Never ever did I realize back then that that was math. Division. Once mom caught me, but then said how good the cookies were and she couldn't believe I could do that!

I'm positive there are some things that I didn't cut down exactly, like baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar (my favorite cookie to make is still Snickerdoodles), so it wasn't THAT precise.

Go for it, I say!! If you're not sure of your oven's temp, buy an oven thermometer and make sure it's right, or if it's too high or too low, adjust your dial/digital accordingly.

For me, baking is therapeutic. If I'm pissed off and frustrated my favorite thing to bake is bread. You have to knead it and punch it down and all that good stuff, lol! I also do a lot of pastries. Tedious work, but it takes my mind off of what ever is bothering me. I'll attach a pic of my Xmas gift to my mom and dad last year. I made my mom an apricot danish pastry, and my dad's was cheese danish pastry. All with home made puff pastry dough.

Unbaked:

Thanx, sis, ya just blew my excuse for me. LOL

pomtzu
11-22-2008, 03:13 PM

Unbaked:

Now that looks delicious - but way too much work to suit me. :eek: I guess you could say that I'm a "lazy baker" - breads (like pumpkin, banana, etc), drop cookies, cakes - just so long as I don't have to use a darn, blasted rolling pin. I love pies, but can't make a decent pie crust to save my back side, so I have to resort to the frozen crusts. Not like made from scratch, but not bad either! :p

Medusa
11-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Now that looks delicious - but way too much work to suit me. :eek: I guess you could say that I'm a "lazy baker" - breads (like pumpkin, banana, etc), drop cookies, cakes - just so long as I don't have to use a darn, blasted rolling pin. I love pies, but can't make a decent pie crust to save my back side, so I have to resort to the frozen crusts. Not like made from scratch, but not bad either! :p

There's a local bakery that advertises "Tastes just like homemade". That's the last thing I want unless it's homemade by someone else! LOL

krazyaboutkatz
11-22-2008, 03:32 PM
I've always hated to cook but I love to bake.:) I too think it's because I have to follow a recipe so I know exactly what to add and how much to add.

Now I rarely find the time to do it though. I've always used electic ovens and my oven right now runs hot so I know that I have to set the timer at least 5 minutes less than the required time.

jennielynn1970
11-22-2008, 03:37 PM
I STILL can't make a pie crust to save my life. I think I get myself too worked up over it, and then it gets too soft, and then it slides down the sides of the pie pan. I end up with a flat crust, lol. So, if it's a single crust, I use bought pie crusts, if it's double I'll try to do my own, but have bought as backups in the fridge, lol!

Like I said, my baking for me is very therapeutic. It helps me vent frustration and take my mind off other things. Every place I've worked, the co-workers always loved when I had a fight with a boyfriend, because I'd come in with tons of baked goods for a week, lol!

Want something easy, and really yummy??? Do you like molasses crumb cake?? This is so easy to do, bakes up really nicely, and is great to share over coffee or tea. This was a favorite at our morning faculty meetings at my elementary school.

Molasses Crumb Cake
(from Times News Recipe booklet)

4 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 c. margerine cold
1 1/2 c. dark molasses, karo and honey (1 c. molasses/ 1/3 c. karo, balance honey)
2 c. boiling water
2 tsp. baking soda

Mix flour, sugar, salt and margerine with pasty blender to form crumb mixture. Reserve 1 c. crumbs.

Boil water and pour in molasses, karo and honey. Stir until blended. Add baking soda and pour over crumbs in the mixing bowl while molasses mixture still foaming. Stir to combine, but leaving lumps of crumbs in batter. Pour into a 9 x 13 inch pan. Sprinkle reserved crumbs on top. Bake 45 - 50 minutes at 350*.

Medusa
11-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Like I said, my baking for me is very therapeutic. It helps me vent frustration and take my mind off other things.

That's what cooking does for me. Sometimes on Sundays I'll cook so many different things that I almost need a banquet table for them all. Thanskgiving dinner is nothing for me because I like to cook in large volumes anyhow.

This cake sounds yummy. Think I'll add it to the list of things to try. Thanx!

Lilith Cherry
11-23-2008, 12:11 AM
Taz Zoee please may we have your brownie recipes? I love to bake and to cook and have used both gas and electricity with equal success; right now though I am reduced to using a large toaster oven so the temperature tends to fluctuate sometimes. ( China doesnt have ovens as general kitchen equipment - just a two ring gas burner:(

I am terrible at following recipes "precisely" and tend to experiment as I go along:D

Brownies are very American so I am not used to making them and would love some nice moist chewy recipes!

jennielynn1970
11-23-2008, 12:29 AM
We had some weird burners in Sweden, they were solid and heated up electrically. I haven't seen them here. I'm thinking ceramic burners??

They also had a great recipe for brownies called Kola Kaka. It was thin, and chewy, and chocolatey. yummmmm. I still haven't been able to replicate it over here in the states.

Lilith Cherry... if you want some box mixes for brownies (some are just as good as home made), just ask, and I'll pick some up and get them out to you over there for you. I know I missed certain things when I was in Sweden... peanutbutter for one. They didn't do peanut butter!! I had it shipped to me, lol.

I still miss candy from Sweden. The salt licorice. That was the best stuff on earth. It was rock hard and salty as a lick for deer, lol, but damn it was good!!! I'll have to see if I can find any place that imports. There's a lot of things I can find at IKEA, but a lot of it's not "authentic".

DJFyrewolf36
11-23-2008, 12:37 AM
I stink at baking and cooking in general...which is kind of sad concidering my dad is a decendant of a famous baker in Minnesota. I look forward to the holidays every year because of my dads excellent baking skills. I'll have to see if he will email me his "never fail" pie crust recipie. Its so easy that I have a hard time messing it up lol.

Giselle
11-23-2008, 01:35 AM
Taz Zoee please may we have your brownie recipes? I love to bake and to cook and have used both gas and electricity with equal success; right now though I am reduced to using a large toaster oven so the temperature tends to fluctuate sometimes. ( China doesnt have ovens as general kitchen equipment - just a two ring gas burner:(

I am terrible at following recipes "precisely" and tend to experiment as I go along:D

Brownies are very American so I am not used to making them and would love some nice moist chewy recipes!
Lilith Cherry, I, too, am Chinese and was brought up in a very traditional Chinese household. Do you have experience with Chinese pastries? It's very hit or miss over at my house :p Currently, we're trying to perfect ginger milk. Like I said, it's hit or miss. I'm wondering if you personally have any tips or suggestions.

Back to baking, ummmm stupid question. Can somebody explain the difference between electric and gas oven? I'm not even sure which one we have. I'm pretty sure it's gas. Maybe that's why I can't bake :p

moosmom
11-23-2008, 07:53 AM
Mary, Mary, Mary...can you say BETTY CROCKER???:eek:;)

Karen
11-23-2008, 08:31 AM

Here's a good recipe - from my old copy of the Fanny Farmer cookbook. The new one has a different brownie recipe which is not, in my opinion, nearly as good. I often throw chocolate chips or mini marshmallows into them, as I cannot have nuts, so go ahead and add whatever extra goodness you want! No fancy equipment needed, not even a mixer - a big spoon will do fine! They're yummy plain, anyway.

Brownies********

3 oz baking chocolate

6 tbs. butter

1 1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/4 tsp. salt

3/4 cup flour

3/4 cup chopped walnuts (or whatever else you want to add!)

1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

350°

butter the inside of a 9 inch square pan (or equivalent)

Melt the chocolate and butter together in a big bowl.

Stir in sugar, eggs, salt, flour, nuts and vanilla

Combine well. Spread into the pan somewhat evenly - no need to be too picky or perfect.

bake for 40 minutes.

Let cool at least a few minutes before cutting.

jennielynn1970
11-23-2008, 08:37 AM
Back to baking, ummmm stupid question. Can somebody explain the difference between electric and gas oven? I'm not even sure which one we have. I'm pretty sure it's gas. Maybe that's why I can't bake :p

Not a stupid question, like I said, I'm not sure what the oven burners we had in Sweden were even made out of, lol.

Electric ranges usually have coils that heat up for the stove top, and in the oven they have the same type of material for the heating elements, but they are not in coils/circles.
Here's a hot burner:
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/istockphoto_4685066-red-hot-electri.jpg

This is the oven heating element:
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/300_56018.jpg

Many stoves/ranges now come with glass cooktops, so the surface of the stove is smooth, and the coils are underneath the glass cook top.

Glass top range:
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/Frigidaire_Bisque_Glass_Top_Range.jpg

Gas stoves have open flame burners. They have these "grates" that go over top of the gas element, like a grill top you might have outside, and your pots on on top of that (not like on an electric element where your pot goes directly on it).

Gas range here also has a griddle built in on the top for making pancakes and stuff (very cool!)
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/whirlpool-gas-range-free-standing-s.jpg

The oven element for gas ranges actually has open flame as well. This is what the top element looks like in a gas oven:
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/2237737107_84d77f1ab7.jpg

Normally the bottom gas element is below the "floor" of the oven, and you have vents where the heat and flames can come out by the sides.
I think this is from the bottom... it is under the base/floor of the oven, but the flames heat up and come that heat comes through in the open areas on the floor of the oven:
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/670573450_2d4bbd05ce.jpg

Randi
11-23-2008, 08:59 AM
Jenn Librarian, you should have come over to Copenhagen when you were in Sweden, we have peanut butter and lots of licorice here. And lots of shops sell brownies too. When were you there?

I'd be glad to send you some licorice - only the postage is horrendous! Up to 250 grams is DKR. 48 = $8 and 500 grams is DKR. 72 = $12.

Then, I'm not sure what foods are allowed to send, but I guess I could write cat/dog treats on it. ;)

Cataholic
11-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Wow. Lillith, there aren't ovens traditionally in the home? While I can go without using my oven for a week...it usually isn't much longer. How do you cook meat? A roast? Do you usually just fry everything on the stove top? I don't eat meat anyhow, but, it is interesting.

Pies/cakes/breads/fake chicken fingers (not for me..he he). None of those, eh?

jennielynn1970
11-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Jenn Librarian, you should have come over to Copenhagen when you were in Sweden, we have peanut butter and lots of licorice here. And lots of shops sell brownies too. When were you there?

I'd be glad to send you some licorice - only the postage is horrendous! Up to 250 grams is DKR. 48 = $8 and 500 grams is DKR. 72 = $12.

Then, I'm not sure what foods are allowed to send, but I guess I could write cat/dog treats on it. ;)

Oy.... that's too much for candy! I'll find something on line, but thank you so much for the offer!

I was in Sweden from 1987 to 1988, and had a blast. They had the best pastries and candies/confections. YUM! Kokos Bullar... I remember them fondly. Some kind of spun sugar with coffee, oatmeal, coconut, covered in chocolate and coconut. YUM! Damsuggare (or whatever vacuum cleaner is in Swedish)... they were marzipan, and were chocolate on the ends and green marzipan on the middle areas. LOVE THEM!! Then there were candies with this dusty green stuff that made you make faces like EWWW.. but then you got used to the weird flavor, lol.

My favorite was still the pizza with tuna and shrimp on top. And the kebabs/gyros from the little kiosks on the street. I lived right outside of Stockholm, it was sooooo great!!!

Randi
11-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Yes, it's a pity the postage is so much, but if get a good job, I'll send you some. ;) I found some pictures of licorice and kokosboller on these sites - have a look! :p Perhaps you'll see the ones you like.

Kokosboller is also called flødeboller in Denmark and licorice is lakrids if you want to search for more. Haribo makes quite good candy.

In the last link is one of my favourite licorice... Anthon Berg's licorice fudge. Uhmm!! :D

http://www.alltheweb.com/search?cat=img&cs=iso88591&q=kokosboller&rys=0&itag=crv&_sb_lang=pref

http://www.alltheweb.com/search?cat=img&cs=iso88591&q=fl%F8deboller&rys=0&itag=crv

http://www.danishfood.net/Shopping.asp?ID=44

http://www.haribo.com/planet/dk/info/main/products/

http://www.nordichouse.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=27

jennielynn1970
11-23-2008, 10:35 AM
OMG... now i'm soooo hungry for them!!! Those little domes of kokosbullar... yummmmm!!!! They were so light and airy on the inside, and they came in different degrees of coffee and chocolate flavors. They do have them at IKEA at times, and some other Swedish items, but they don't have the right salt licorice. It's more "americanized" so it's not as salty.

These were the damsugare that I remember...

Taz_Zoee
11-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Here are my recipes for both of the brownies I make.
The first one is actually the recipe off the back of Nestle Chocolate Chips package. But my mom adjusted it some.

1 1/2cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
4 tlbs. water
2 tsp. vanilla extract
4 eggs
3 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F (or equivalent). In small bowl, combine flour, baking soda & salt; set aside. In small saucepan, combine butter, sugar & water; bring just to a boil.
Remove from heat. Add 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips & vanilla extract. Stir until melted and mixture is smooth. Transfer to large mixing bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually blend in flour mixture. Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips. Spread into greased (9 x 13 inch) pan. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top (you may need more than the remaining 1/2 cup, I cover the top with chips so there is not one open space without a chip on it).
Cook for 45 - 50 min (varies with ovens, also this is for a glass 9 x 13 pan)
I test it with a toothpick to see if it's done. This can be tricky since it's full of chocolate chips. But I've learned to tell the difference between a chocolate chip and the uncooked batter.
__________________________________________________ _______________

The next recipe is out of a cookbook that each recipe is made with a box of cake mix. I call these Toler Brownies because years ago a co-worker LOVED them. He passed away from cancer a couple of years ago, so these are always made in his honor.

1 package (18.25oz) plain yellow cake mix
1 cup smooth or crunchy peanut butter (I've always used crunchy)
8 tbs (1 stick) butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 package (12oz; 2 cups) semisweet chocolate chips
1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
2 tbs. butter
1 cup frozen un sweetened grated coconut, thawed (I've never used frozen)
1 cup chopped pecans (optional) (I've never used pecans)
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract (I've used imitation plenty of times)

1. Place rack in the center of the oven preheat to 325 (I've changed it to 350 for my oven). Set aside an ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan (again I use my glass one).
2. Place cake mix, peanut butter, melted butter, and eggs in large mixing bowl. Blend with electric mixer on low speed for 1 min. (This is why I LOVE my kitchen aid.) Stop machine and scrape down sides of bowl. Mixture will be thick. (The first few times I made this I ended up using my hands to mix this part) Reserve 1 1/2 cups for the topping. Transfer the remaining crust mix into the pan. Using your fingertips (I use the back of a spatula now), press the crust evenly over the bottom of the pan so that it reaches all the sides. Set aside.
3. For the filling, place chocolate chips, condensed milk, and 2 tbs butter n a medium-sized heavy saucepan over low heat. Stir and cook until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is well combined, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in coconut, pecans, and vanilla until well distributed. Pour the chocolate mix over the crust, and spread it evenly with the rubber spatula so that it reaches the sides of the pan. Using your fingertips, crumble the reserved crust and scatter it evenly over the chocolate. Place the pan in the oven.
4. Bake the "cake" until it is light brown, 20 to 25 minutes (it usually takes longer, I say it's done when the topping is a little brownish). Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool for 30 minutes.
5. Cut cake into 24 bars (I just cut it however I want, LOL). Remove the bars from the pan with metal spatula (I use the knife I cut it with and my fingers:)), and serve.

I apologize for any typos, I tried to catch them as I went along. :)

Pembroke_Corgi
11-23-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm another person who likes to bake more than cook...but this could be because I love to eat baked goods so much!

I'm sure you could learn to bake- just keep checking on your food before the timer goes off so it doesn't burn. You got a lot of good suggestions here! At least you don't live at high altitude- I have to adjust all baking recipes for different amounts of flour to liquids because otherwise it all turns out flat and doesn't rise! (We live at about 5,600 ft above sea level).

Lilith Cherry
11-23-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the brownie recipes, Karen and Taz! They sound delicious!

Giselle, I am blue-eyed and strawberry blonde but there are some Chinese things I have learned to cook... like durian cakes (durian smells like drains until you cook it but it is delicious to taste). I will ask my friends and students about ginger milk and let you know what I find out. It sounds great and I love ginger anything!

As to doing without an oven, it drives me crazy! I bought the biggest toaster oven I could find after much searching and now use it constantly. I had to bring over two large tins of crisco in my suitcase so I can make pastry as shortening is not available here. Most Chinese food is fried or steamed or casseroled but not often baked. In the north they have brick ovens which also keep houses warm but I live in the south. I will attach a picture of my kitchen ( which is "westernised" by adding the toaster oven and microwave lol) The kitchen measures 6ft by 8ft and there is no airconditioner or fan - just open the window:eek: