PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here read Barack Obama's books?

Kirsten
11-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Just wondering as I'm just reading his first one, "Dreams from my Father", written in the mid-nineties, which is very autobiographical. It's an interesting read, and you can learn a lot about his background, and thoughts. He often mentioned his grandmother from Hawaii, the one who passed away only one day before his election.

Anyone else here who read it, or the other one, "The Audacity of Hope"? If you don't mind, please share your thoughts on it. :)

Kirsten

caseysmom
11-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Just wondering as I'm just reading his first one, "Dreams from my Father", written in the mid-nineties, which is very autobiographical. It's an interesting read, and you can learn a lot about his background, and thoughts. He often mentioned his grandmother from Hawaii, the one who passed away only one day before his election.

Anyone else here who read it, or the other one, "The Audacity of Hope"? If you don't mind, please share your thoughts on it. :)

Kirsten

I bought it but haven't read it yet. I really want to get started on it soon!

lvpets2002
11-21-2008, 12:47 PM
:) No I did not know he had books out.. Now I watched his Bio on AE the other night && that was very interesting..

Giselle
11-21-2008, 08:23 PM
I read Audacity of Hope before he won the primaries. He's a very eloquent man, and I think his ideas hold a lot of merit. I respect Gandhi very much and, while I was reading Audacity, I kept thinking to myself how similar many of Obama's values were to Gandhi's. I thought that was lovely :)

tatsxxx11
11-22-2008, 03:52 PM
I've read both of them Kirsten, early on, after he announced his run for the presidency in Feb. of '07. What an eloquent, talented writer; and one politician who actually writes his own books, every word, start to finish.:) He won a Grammy for his audio version of "Dreams From My Father." He has such a soothing, baritone voice, and it's especially meaningful to hear him read his autobiography; I highly recommend it. After he won election to the U.S. Senate both books hit the NYT best seller's list. It was thanks to the incredible success of his books that he and Michelle were finally able to pay off their student loans, (only 4 years ago) and move out of their condo and purchase a home.

"Audacity of Hope" is contemporary, as it speaks of his life entering politics; his marriage, the birth of his daughters, interspersed with discussion of his political evolution and his musings on government and governing, the state of politics in America. I highly recommend it, not at all a dull, dry read; very personal, and gives great insight his political philosophy. The last paragraph of the last page is heartmelting as he sees in his daughters, our future!:)

lizbud
11-22-2008, 04:27 PM
They both sound great. Now I know what I'll ask for this Christmas.:)

Kirsten
11-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Sounds like "Audacity is Hope" is also a very interesting book. :) I had no idea there was an audio version of "Dreams from my Father", and that he even won a Grammy for it. Must be nice to hear it in his own voice.

But I wonder if he'd ever written these books if he had known he's be the president of the United States one day. LOL After all, he wrote about about many personal things, and explains his views on many things.

Kirsten

Cataholic
11-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Two books to find at the library, for sure! I think my mom read one...and I remember thinking, "Who is BO?" LOL...Lillycat was ahead of the curve in our house, election wise. :)