PDA

View Full Version : Bad for the Vet

Sugaree
11-21-2008, 07:42 AM
Is anyone elses cat really bad for the vet? Wally becomes a different cat. He normaly makes almost no noise except purring and occasoinal meow to get my attention but at the vet he hisses and growls and spits. The second he sees the staff he loses his mind. They need to sedate him to do just about everything because they can get near him otherwise. Now that we found out he has heart disease will this effect him in a big way? should he not be sedated? Is anyone elses cat the devil for the vet?

sasvermont
11-21-2008, 08:05 AM
All three of my cats are very good at the vet's office. I have had, in the past, absolute monster cats at the vet's. I think it has to do with luck. I don't have a clue as to how to "turn it around" once you find the bad luck.

My cats love my vet and her staff. I suspect cats like female vets better, but not sure. My cats relax on the table, often trying to get as many pets and headbutts as possible. Once the exam begins it is a bit different and then when the process is over, they hop into their containers, happy to go home.

Maybe a little kitty prozac before hand might help.:)

Medusa
11-21-2008, 08:44 AM
Oh boy, could I ever tell you stories! I guess the best story is of my RB calico queen Puddy. The vet staff had written on her chart in big red letters NOT PEOPLE FRIENDLY! Puddy was normally a cool cat. If you let her alone, she let you alone. At the vet's, however, she became 5 lbs. of pure terror. When I'd arrive at the clinic, I'd hear someone yell from the back "We're ready for Puddy now!" and I pictured them all wearing head gear and face protection. My old vet, since retired, bent down to listen to her heart and she slapped his glasses right off his face and onto the floor. In her younger days, we'd have to take the top off the cat carrier and drop a towel over her in order to be able to pick her up and examine her because you didn't dare put your hands inside the carrier.

My CH baby, Creamsicle, who is also deaf, is bad, too, although not as bad as Puddy. She was a little Tasmanian devil a couple of days ago when she went in for her checkup. To look at her, you'd never know she could behave that way. She has such a sweet temperament but she knows that when she's at the vet's there's probably going to be a needle involved.

So. Does that answer your question? LOL :)

Sugaree
11-21-2008, 08:54 AM
im glad its not just my little guy. I makes my sad to think about someone thinking hes so mean because normally he loves everyone. They do the same think with the carrier at my et, its the ONLY way to get him out and laty the only way to get him in. He sleeps in his carrier normally but when he sees that door go on he wants nothing to do with it. Little buggers just to smart. hah

Freedom
11-21-2008, 08:56 AM
Chestnut is the Jekyl and Hyde cat here. So sweet and cuddly at home. Guests who come regularly also get to pet him. (Strangers don't even see him, he is under the bed.)

At the vet, there is a big red CAUTION! on his file. They use long thick gloves which cover their arms. He growls, snarls, hisses, swats and BITES!:eek: And that is while he is still in the carrier! Once out of the carrier, he is 15 pounds of terror. :rolleyes: Even I can't touch him.

We couldn't get a weight on him for 2 years as none of us could get him over to the scale!

Once they are done, we let him dash back into his carrier, where he immediately calms down and starts grooming his fur down and back into place. By the time I get him home, he is sweet orangie again. :rolleyes:

lvpets2002
11-21-2008, 09:17 AM
:eek: WoW Walley just does not want those people handling or pooking him..
Now my babies do all the fussing going to the Vet & coming home = but at the Vet they do real good..