PDA

View Full Version : Camera Issues.

Sevaede
11-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Wow. I don't know if I am the only one who has trouble with black and white (100 ISO, in case it was pertinent) film. I am not finding what I am looking for on Google.

I have to shoot a roll, have it developed, and turn in the negatives I receive to the photo instructor.

Unfortunately, this is not the first time that I have encountered this issue. I am trying to load my roll of film in to the camera. It keeps slipping off the advancer. :mad::mad::mad: The first time this happened, I had it developed and, therefore, ruined before I knew. This time, I knew what to look for. I couldn't even get it to go along when I would advance the lever and depress the shutter. The film just keeps slipping off! I even got it to actually stay in place and thought the problem had been resolved. I advanced, clicked, advanced, clicked, trying to get to a spot where I could take a picture. It slipped off AGAIN right on the 0 or right before it.

I was really struggling with whether I should open it. I figure, if the film is ruined then it is ruined. I have to open the camera at some point to either remove the film entirely or to fix it anyways! I have a final to do, so something HAD to be done. So, I opened it, and the film was under the advance but not in the actual slot. I gently removed it and put it back in place, hoping that the film is still usable at this point. Right now, the only film that is hanging out is what I would have advanced past trying to get to where I could actually snap a photo.

My queries are these...

Why is it that my black and white film slips so much? (I've NEVER had this issue with any colour film!)

Should I have opened the camera?

What was the proper way to fix this issue?

Am I just being weird?

At any rate... :D If you wanted to know... I am currently doing very well in my photo class! It is always a surprise! The instructor is very precise and not easy to make happy. Thankfully, taking photos is second nature to me these days and I received an A on my landscape assignment! :D It makes me giddy to think about!

Also, is there any way for me to post my slides on the webs? Would I have to convert them to a CD during developing?

Thanks so much!

Catlady711
11-20-2008, 11:39 PM
You haven't said if this is a 35mm camera or not.

My old 35mm film camera had an automatic wind for loading film so I've never quite had that exact problem before.

The way my camera was set up I could just put a finger on the edge of it and gently close the back, inching my finger out as I did.

Do you keep your B/W film in the fridge? That may make it a bit stiffer. I believe that B/W film has more emulsion or something that does make it a bit stiffer. There may be some differences in manufacturers also. The only B/W I ever shot with was I believe Trix film, don't remember it being a whole lot stiffer than color film.

Could your camera winder be defective that could cause a problem winding?

If you need to open the camera after film is loaded in, do so in a completely dark (i mean like NO light) room. You'll have to do everything by feel, but you'll not ruin your film this way. Actually if you've ever done your own developing you'll have to learn how to unload the film cartridge, and put it on a spool in complete darkness. Sense of touch is your friend. lol

Only thing I could find online was this...http://www.guidetofilmphotography.com/film-photography-settings.html

I'm still inclined to think that either your camera winder is having an issue and may need servicing or there's an incompatibility between the sprocket on your camera and the holes in the film (although I confess I've never actually heard of an issue like that).

Hope you get it figured out. If not try asking at your local camera store if they have someone who can help you out.

Catlady711
11-20-2008, 11:42 PM
Oh I almost forgot.

To get your slides on the net you'd need a scanner that is made for slides/negatives.

Never actually bought one myself (mostly shot regular negative film) but I found this that might be helpful.

http://www.flatbed-scanner-review.org/35mm_slide_film_scanners/35mm_film_slide_scanners.html