PDA

View Full Version : Ow, scratched cornea

Sirrahsim
11-20-2008, 07:11 AM
Since having eyelid surgery when I was a baby, my eyelid does not close completely when I am sleeping. I have managed to scrape my cornea on my pillow and blankets countless times in my life but it is usually so minor that I don't worry about it. This morning I woke up at 5 am with a damp pillow and a VERY sore eye. It is very red and swollen and even the light from my reading lamp makes me very uncomfortable :( I'll be seeing the doc this afternoon. Wish me luck that I have NOT managed to actually damage my eye this time!:eek:

Freedom
11-20-2008, 07:25 AM
Ouch, yes those are painful. I remember when Vita scratched Sparkle's cornea, they weren't even fighting just playing. I had her to the ERV, and they repeatedly told me how painful that is. We had 3 drops for Sparkle.

I am glad you are getting in to the doc for a check and for some comfort!

Prayers it is nothing worse.

lvpets2002
11-20-2008, 09:02 AM
:( Oh my my Ouchy Ouchy.. I know Eye problems can be so painfull & most uncomfortable.. Good Luck at the Doc office.. Let us know what happens ok.. Prayers being sent..

Moesha
11-20-2008, 09:07 AM
At least I've heard that eye injuries, while being painful, do heal relatively quickly.

Sirrahsim
11-20-2008, 09:19 AM
oh yes, it will be all better in a few days as long as it doesn't get infected. It hurts terribly while it heals though!

kuhio98
11-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Missy ~ Make sure that doctor knows your eyesight must be 20/20 ASAP because I believe I read somewhere that the Twilight movie starts tomorrow.

Now, I don't have a clue what Twilight is, but I seem to remember it being one of your passions. So, set that doctor straight!

Sirrahsim
11-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Missy ~ Make sure that doctor knows your eyesight must be 20/20 ASAP because I believe I read somewhere that the Twilight movie starts tomorrow.

Now, I don't have a clue what Twilight is, but I seem to remember it being one of your passions. So, set that doctor straight!

:D:D:D:D

gini
11-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Is there any way that you could wear a mask while you are sleeping so this wouldn't happen again?

Years ago I scratched my cornea and it did heal fairly quickly, but it was oh, so painful!

MoonandBean
11-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Ouch. I'm sure some antibiotics drops will heal it up in no time. Sometimes, they will use a pressure patch to help speed things up. I like the idea of wearing a patch at bedtime too. Check with your eye doctor. Arrrrrrrr!!!!!!! (that's me talking like a pirate cause of the whole patch thing :) ).

Karen
11-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Ouch, ouch, ouch! Could you wear something like a contact as a shield to keep it from happening?

(This from a person who is still disappointed that all the science fiction I read as a child has not yet come to fruition, and so I do not have a personal force-field to keep things like pollen away from me!)

RedHedd
11-20-2008, 03:33 PM
I thought I was the only person who had this issue! I've done that SO many times. My eyes don't close completely either due to surgeries (I won't bore you with the details; but it was eyelid surgery too; pm me if interested) and I know the pain you're going through.

My docs at UCSF did a procedure on my eyes last year - basically they debrided my corneas - yup, scraped them on purpose. It actually helped clear up my vision, but one thing they showed me to help heal my corneas faster was to tape the eyes shut at night. The small clear Breathe Rite strips are the perfect size - this is what they use in the hospital! and they work. No more scraped corneas for me. Yes, it looks weird, but my eyes appreciate the extra care.

ramanth
11-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Yeowch!! I've been having issues with my contacts lately, so I can sympathise. :(