PDA

View Full Version : Help Advice Needed

heidiv
11-19-2008, 06:50 PM
I got home from work today and was sitting on my blankets on my couch and found that someone had pee'd all over the blankets on the couch???? Remember I have 5 cats here right now......I really need some advice I have no idea where to even begin to figure out which one has done this.... My first question is who? My second question is what could have caused otherwise good kitties to go bad? Should I get them all into the vet? Its just new behavior and I have no idea where to begin. I already have 3 cat boxes?? Whats the next step? I have NEVER had an animal that has done this!!! NEVER I am at a loss but I can't have my furniture being wreaked, beds etc. I just want to cry....:(:( Every animal that I have seen that has started this habit has never stopped.... What do I do?

Catlady711
11-19-2008, 07:19 PM
First you really should have at least one litter box per cat (one extra beyond that is also a better idea).

There is more info here on litterboxes and cat behaviour than I can copy/paste. You'll need to sit down and read it for yourself. http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm

For catching the culprit you could try a motion activated web cam pointed at the couch when you're out of the room or gone.

Otherwise try to get urine samples from all the cats and take that in, maybe one of them will show an infection and you can get that one treated and the problem may stop. If nothing else maybe elevated levels in the test may indicate which cat needs to go in for an exam.

Getting urine samples from cats isn't all that hard, I've done it myself and I have 7 cats.

Just put all of them in a room with you with only one litterbox, keep a container handy (may ask the vet for one) and the minute you see a cat get in the box get ready. Just slide the container in the urine stream, label that container with the cat's name, put it in the fridge, and let that cat out of the room. It may take a bit of time to get samples from all of them.

If that fails to produce samples from all the cats try shutting the cats in with you without a litterbox. Periodically take one cat at a time to a litterbox, having the container ready. If they don't go for you, back in the no litterbox room they go. Keep doing this until you have samples from all the cats. It's easier if you know which cats tend to go when. (In my case I have a few that like to go right after eating breakfast).

You don't want your urine samples to sit for more than 8-10 hours so timing may be important, check your vet for hours he/she is available to do a urinalysis. If you can only get a couple cat samples at a time then go ahead and have those run and continue to try to get the rest. It took me two days to get all 7 cats when I did it because of time available I had to do it.

Yes it will take a bit of time to get samples, and yes there's a good chance you might get your hand wet but TRUST ME, this method works, besides hands are washable.

Good luck

Freedom
11-19-2008, 07:58 PM
UTI was my first thought. Taking in samples may be the easiest way to address this.

It's a nuisance but keep in mind, if a cat has a UTI, that cat doesn't feel very good either.

Good luck!

heidiv
11-19-2008, 08:46 PM
O.K. just got back from the store....I bought another litter box. I was able to get everyone in the litter room or kitties room and 4 or of the 5 were Very interested in the new litter box. Which I bought clumping litter for....I first wanted to introduce the new litter then hopefully tomorrow I can start the urine collection. I did however since Paris and Squeak are very interested in using clean litter right away I found that neither of them have blood in their urine. I was able to check that right away since they both used it as soon as I poured the litter. Squeak was having fun with it. It must resemble sand more than the non clumping litter. Thanks for all your thoughts so far....My mission will be to catch the kitties as we are just hanging out in the kitty room. Now any ideas as to what I should do about my couch while I am at work tomorrow? I don't want the kitties to use that as the litter box while I am away??
I also just purchased the litter attractant also.. I have learned a ton of things I was doing wrong reading on that website thanks so much!!! I have changed quite a few things just tonight I will work on the urine collection tomorrow!

krazyaboutkatz
11-19-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I went through something like this in the summer of 2007. Luckily I knew that it was Storm and Starr that were doing it so I had them checkd out at the vet. They were fine so my vet told me to buy some Cat Attract Litter by Dr. Elsey and you can buy it at Petsmart. It also has a great booklet inside that tells you everything you need to know about inappropriate peeing.

I've also been using the Feliway/Comfort Zone plugins and they've helped calm down my cats. Storm is also on calming herbal pills. I also added 3 more litter boxes so I now have 8 litter boxes for 6 cats but they usually only use 4-5 of them. Good luck and I hope that you'll be able to solve this problem quickly.:)

Catlady711
11-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Now any ideas as to what I should do about my couch while I am at work tomorrow? I don't want the kitties to use that as the litter box while I am away??
I also just purchased the litter attractant also.. I have learned a ton of things I was doing wrong reading on that website thanks so much!!! I have changed quite a few things just tonight I will work on the urine collection tomorrow!

You're welcome. I find that site to be a huge amount of good information. I recommend it to clients also.

Clumping litter does have a more 'sand like' texture to it that cats often like. If the litter attractant you got is the Dr. Elsey/Precious Cat one then you're on the right track. Kinda smells like a cross between catnip and garden dirt. My cats LOVE that stuff.

As for your couch... did you happen to purchase (or already have) any enzyme cleaner? If not I believe a solution of 1 qt water to 1/2 c white vinegar would help but not as good.

Per Dr. Elsey's site:
http://www.preciouscat.com/solve-your-litter-problems-with-cat-attract-I-3.html
Do all that you can to eliminate any trace of odor from the "trouble spot." Clean it thoroughly with a liquid enzymatic odor cleaner. Avoid ammonia-based cleaners, which actually contribute to the problem because of their urine like scent. Try to keep your cat away from the trouble spot by covering the area with a plastic carpet runner, spike side up, or tin foil (cats dislike the feel of foil). A lemon scented air freshener will also help in both repelling the cat and neutralizing the odor.

There's coupons available, on the website you can print out, for many of the products. Here's a link to a .pdf document with a form to get your first bag of litter for free for new customers.
http://www.preciouscat.com/pdf/Free_Litter_Fax_Form_fill_8-17-06.pdf

my vet told me to buy some Cat Attract Litter by Dr. Elsey and you can buy it at Petsmart. It also has a great booklet inside that tells you everything you need to know about inappropriate peeing.

I've also been using the Feliway/Comfort Zone plugins and they've helped calm down my cats.

Dr. Elsey's products are fabulous! I save all the booklets that come in the litter (minus the coupons I need) and take them to work to hand out to clients. They do have excellent info, very similar to the website I posted earlier.

I've only been using the Feliway plug ins for about 1 1/2 months. It does seem to help, but not with our kitty fighting. :( Of course I'm very fortunate I can get them at cost from work. You wouldn't believe how much the pet stores and other sellers are profiting from them!!!! :eek: