PDA

View Full Version : Share your favorite Thanksgiving Recipes!

kimlovescats
11-19-2008, 10:45 AM
I am looking for something new to add to my yearly Thanksgiving meal. I would like something yummy (of course) and preferably fairly simple to put together! Please do share whatever you might have!:)

Karen
11-19-2008, 11:04 AM
I cannot have these any more, as I am completely allergic to cranberries, and to orange ... but

Cranberry Orange Shortbread Turkeys:

Soften two sticks of butter (leaving them out the night before where the pets cannot get to them is fine, or a few hours ahead, or just microwave them until they’re a little soft).

Set the oven 350°

Cream the butter, then add
1/2 cup of confectioner’s sugar
1 teaspoon orange oil (optional)

Mix together:
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup chopped up dried cranberries

Mix together with first mixture, it’ll form a crumbly dough. Roll it out about 1/4 inch thick, use a cookies cutter to make shapes, or just cut it into squares. These are usually made with the turkey-shaped cookie cutter for Thanksgiving! I do, however, ALWAYS make a few bunnies, too. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until edges are very faintly browned.

lvpets2002
11-19-2008, 11:08 AM
Spicy Crab Delights

1 can (6-1/2 oz) crabmeat, well drained, flaked
1/4 cup Kraft Mayo with Olive Oil Reduced Fat Mayonnaise
1 Tbsp Kraft Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 tsp Hot or Mild Pepper Sauce
8 Minature Whole Wheat Pita Breads, Cut Crosswise in Half or Mini Phyllo Shells
16 Small Fresh Dill Sprigs

Mix Crabmeat, Mayo, Cheese, Pepper Sauce

Spoon Into Pita Pockets or Mini Phyllo Shells

Top With Dill Sprigs

Total Time 10 min

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/lvpets2002/Spicy_Crab_Delights.jpg

kimlovescats
11-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Thank you ladies, keep them coming!

Karen, what is orange oil?:confused:

Karen
11-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Thank you ladies, keep them coming!

Karen, what is orange oil?:confused:

It's like orange extract, just stronger. It's just oil distilled from the skin of oranges. You know how when you peel an orange, the scent stays on your hands forever? That's the orange oil! You can use orange extract, or skip it and just make cranberry turkeys!

lvpets2002
11-19-2008, 03:56 PM
:) Ok Get Bread Sticks & Wrap One Slice of Bacon around each one.. Cook in Microwave for 2 min per 4 bread sticks on paper towl on Micro Dish.. Or can put all on a cookie sheet in oven at 350% for 35 min.. Then Prompt Roll Each in Parmazan (spelling?)Cheese.. Stand Them up in A Tall Glass for Cooling & Serving.. Yum = Enjoy

Sirrahsim
11-19-2008, 03:59 PM
My sister in law Christine makes fabulous skillet corn! I stole her recipe and make it myself several times a year.

Skillet Corn
6 slices bacon
1 cup milk
3 Tbsp butter/margarine
1or 2 tsp reserved bacon grease
2 tsp pepper
16 oz frozen corn

Fry bacon in large skillet until crispy. Remove bacon to paper towels to cool.. Pour out all but one or two tsp of grease. Add milk and heat, scraping any crispy bits off of the bottom of the skillet. Stir in corn and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until heated through. Shortly before serving add crumbled bacon pieces and heat through.

mustlovedogs
11-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Mmm, all sounds very yummy! :)

sirrahbed
11-19-2008, 09:00 PM
another from Christine and my new favorite side dish..

Squash Cornbread

3 yellow summer squash - slice or chunks
1 pkg 8.5oz "Jiffy" cornbread mix
2 eggs
1/3 c cottage cheese
1 chopped onion
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 c shredded cheddar chedded

Slice or chunk the squash and either microwave or steam a few minutes until slightly soft. squuze extra mositure out

mix the squash and everything else and pour into a greased cake pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees.

also wonderful baked in an iron skillet if you like it crispy on edges

kimlovescats
11-24-2008, 12:23 PM
*bump* Anyone got more to share?

Freedom
11-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Candied Sweet Potatoes

6 peeled, cooked medium sweet potatoes*
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed firmly in the cup; OR 8 teaspoons Sweet N Low BROWN SUGAR
¼ cup butter or margarine
¼ cup water
½ teaspoon salt
2 whole cloves
¼ cup chopped walnuts (optional)

* Boil potatoes, whole, until fork goes right through, but remove before too
soft. Skin will come off easily once cooled.

In oven: heat oven to 375 degrees.

Cut cooked potatoes length wise, long thin slices.
Arrange potatoes in greased baking dish.

In a pan, combine rest of ingredients, except nuts.
Boil 5 minutes. (This is the candy syrup)

Pour over potatoes; top with nuts.

Bake in oven at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, basting occasionally.

Makes 6 servings.

This recipe is from my mum. Growing up, we went to Dad's folks for all the holidays (mum's family is in England). The aunts each made something, this is what mum made. It was such a hit, uncles used to ask her to make extra so they could take some home, lol. After mum passed 15 years ago, the next holiday that rolled around, all the cousins were asking me for mum's recipe! They grew up with it just as I did, and so it is a part of the extended family's traditional foods. Most holidays now, I hear from cousins and they mention they are "making your mum's sweet potatoes." *sniff* Awww.

kimlovescats
11-25-2008, 05:16 PM
:)Thanks, Freedom. I make a candied sweet potato casserole each year as well! YUMMY!!!!

Grace
11-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Better late than never -

WHIPPED TURNIP CASSEROLE

3 pounds turnips
1/4 pound butter
1 & 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 & 1/2 teaspoons salt
few grains pepper
3 eggs
1 cup soft bread crumbs
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Wash and pare turnips. Cut into 1/2 “ slices. Cook in small amount boiling, salted water until tender – 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and mash.

Add butter, sugar, salt and pepper – mix well. I use my hand-held mixer for this.

Add eggs, one at a time. Beat until fluffy. Mix in bread crumbs and lemon juice.

Bake at 375° for 50 minutes.

This can be made a day ahead, refrigerated; then bake the next day.

Karen
11-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Because you asked for something relatively simple, I won't add the rolls that my family makes for special occasions, as they involve yeast, kneading of dough, etc. That's why we just make them for special events! ;) Hey, maybe PM Lady's Human - he has Ma's stuffing recipe that is quite yummy and different ... and not nearly as complicated as the rolls!