PDA

View Full Version : Bobbie gets a friend tonight!!

king2005
11-18-2008, 08:48 AM
I'm rescuing a 2yr old Cockatiel late tonight. I do not know her colours & I doubt the guy would know, as he rescued her from a friend (out of pity I think).

She had an accident where she broke a wing & it never healed, so her feathers are suppose to be a little messed up. Poor thing doesn't even have a name :(

Now I need to think of one. I'm sure it'll be nice & geeky :)

Husky_mom
11-18-2008, 11:28 AM
can´t wait to see her...

how about Feather....

would love to see her and help out more ;)

lvpets2002
11-18-2008, 11:31 AM
:love: Congrats & pics please.. How about Springie..

king2005
11-18-2008, 12:26 PM
:D

I'll post pictures as soon as I get her into her new cage (very late tonight). I'll let them see each other when I get her home. If it goes well. her cage can go beside his.. If it doesn't go well, then she'll go into the walk in closet where they cannot see each other. Then the slow process of introducing them together will begin.

The lady at reception was nice enough to give me a nice sterdy box to put her in, & I'll be getting shredded paper later today from the shredder in the back to act as padding in the box.

I saw something online where the owners turned a car carrier into a birdy travel cage. They drilled a perch into the middle of the small cat carrier & it can be strapped to the chair, so there is no worries about birdie boxes being tossed all over the place.. But I'll have to make that later, as I do not have the parts :P So my box will have to do.

Husky_mom
11-18-2008, 01:08 PM
please do not introduce them as of yet.. quarantine them for 30 days at least...

birds can hide illnesses sooo well... that when you know they are sick they are practically at their last and it can pass from bird to bird... so for Bobbie´s sake.. quarantine them in separate rooms...as far as possible you can... then you can start introducing them by placing them side by side...

this time will help her also to get adjusted to the noises at your house and more importantly to you, so use this time to bond with her.....;)

king2005
11-18-2008, 01:21 PM
please do not introduce them as of yet.. quarantine them for 30 days at least...

birds can hide illnesses sooo well... that when you know they are sick they are practically at their last and it can pass from bird to bird... so for Bobbie´s sake.. quarantine them in separate rooms...as far as possible you can... then you can start introducing them by placing them side by side...

this time will help her also to get adjusted to the noises at your house and more importantly to you, so use this time to bond with her.....;)

Never even thought of that, thank you!

So she'll be in the walk in closet for a month to make sure she is well. I live in a bachelor so thats the best I can do. & the closet is larger then my kitchen, so she shouldn't feel too cramped in there.. I'll move my nice desk lamp in there. it doesn't creat heat & its very bright, but not blinding bright. The closet is well vented so nothing goes bad in there, so she wont be stuffy either. I'll just move the air filter to the front of the walk in closet & have it gently blow air out instead of up.

Should I feed her differently as shes a female? Bobbie only eats seeds & some rice. he refuses everything else, except the odd 12 grain cracker crumb I offer him.

EDIT: oh ya he had Cat Grass as he was eating my house plants... But he had so much fun jumping on the cat grass that it died.. silly bird lol

Husky_mom
11-18-2008, 03:36 PM
just about the same... i fyou can get some cuttlebone for both that would be even greater... cuttlebone gives them calcium and hens need it more in case of egg production....

also veggies are a super plus... I haven´t made mine taste other than broccoli... :rolleyes:

just have her on what she is on now... and gradually introduce more veggies and/or diff foods... seeds, pellets, etc...

I´m so excited to see her...:D ...

TIP: millet is super great for bonding... they loooooove millet...

king2005
11-18-2008, 03:50 PM
just about the same... i fyou can get some cuttlebone for both that would be even greater... cuttlebone gives them calcium and hens need it more in case of egg production....

also veggies are a super plus... I haven´t made mine taste other than broccoli... :rolleyes:

just have her on what she is on now... and gradually introduce more veggies and/or diff foods... seeds, pellets, etc...

I´m so excited to see her...:D ...

TIP: millet is super great for bonding... they loooooove millet...

I'll get her her very own Cuttle bone this weekend (I don't get paid until the end of the week). Bobbie just LOVES his!

I'll try to the food thing... Do you recommend any brand of food? My dog food guy (Global & Ryans) is getting into all animal foods & can get me anything I want (saves me from running around the GTA).

I'm so excited to see her too!!! I hope she behaves in the box :S

Husky_mom
11-18-2008, 04:27 PM
I feed mine Roudybush.. me and them love it!!.. theres no waste at all (all pellets as a matter of fact) (no flyind seed husks all over) but it can get a lil pricey... (you can ask for a free sample to try it first so you don´t buy, some bird are way picky eaters)

Harrisons and Zupreem are really good too... (Zupreem can be found more easily on petstores, the uncolored ones are better, as colored ones makes poop get color and you can´t tell if bird is sick or it´s just the coloring)...

if you do feed... I suggest the smaller sized pellet...as at first they´d try to dehusk them and the cracked pellet would fly all over... and the smaller would get gobbled down ;)

that and a mix of seed/veggies would be great

king2005
11-18-2008, 11:38 PM
heres the new bird.

Shes quite nice. Shes missing several toes & in general looks a little dirty. I saw his other birds & they all looked great! I got to hold 2 of his 3. His Conure Bit me too lol She was a riot though.. cute little thing

lvpets2002
11-19-2008, 09:20 AM
:love: Awee such a Pretty Baby..

king2005
11-19-2008, 09:55 AM
:love: Awee such a Pretty Baby..

That she is :)

I'll try to get pics of the under part of her tail. The feathers are yellow with black lines! I think its really pretty. Bobbie only has solid yellow tail feathers, so its really nice that she is quite different in colour. It'll be easy to tell them apart hehehe :D

Shes soooooo friendly & beggs for attention. The second you pick her up, she stops peeping & gets relaxed. I might set up something uptop of Digi's kennel (its beside my computer) so she can be near me. I don't think I can keep her in the closet long term, as I really fear it'll emotionally mess her up & cause more harm then good.

The guy said she use to be with her old owner all the time. But after her accident she became semi wild as no one would take her out. But when he got her, all she wanted was non-stop attention from him. So I don't think shes semi wild at all.. shes quite tame.

So I feel stuck between a rock & a hard place. I know she is quite stressed as i'm sure she still hasn't recovered (mentally) from the accident, then being neglected attention, then being sent to a new home, & then a month later comes to my home. So I really don't think I can keep her locked away for that long.

If I had her first & got bobbie 2nd, then he would be just fine on his own chill'n in the closet, & having me talk to him in the morning, after work & before bed. But this one seems really clingy & that is how she was with the guy I got her from.

If either bird falls ill, then I'll have to suck it up & take them both to the vet. As it has to be easier treating an illness then a mental illness...

But I'm curious as to why she is missing so many toes. I can understand loosing 1, but missing at least 3, where 2 are the back toes, seems odd to me.

Husky_mom
11-19-2008, 10:31 AM
she´s soo cute!!... love her dark beak...awww....

missing toes: ... one could be she was born that way.. or... another bird chopped them off...:(

she doesn´t has to be locked away... just far from direct contact from Bobbie... one can be in the computer room and one in the bedroom....that would do.... even extreme opposites of same room.. but there´s also airborne viruses... but one can do what one can do best... and if same room is best, just don´t let them have touching contact for a while....

watch if she´s fluffed, on bottom on cage, poops, that sort of things.... she might do that the first day until she´s used to the new environment but will perk up...

she sounds such a sweet bird.... those tail feathers are lovely...love those patterns... you´ll love a pearl tiel feathers ;)

king2005
11-19-2008, 11:16 AM
she´s soo cute!!... love her dark beak...awww....

missing toes: ... one could be she was born that way.. or... another bird chopped them off...:(

she doesn´t has to be locked away... just far from direct contact from Bobbie... one can be in the computer room and one in the bedroom....that would do.... even extreme opposites of same room.. but there´s also airborne viruses... but one can do what one can do best... and if same room is best, just don´t let them have touching contact for a while....

watch if she´s fluffed, on bottom on cage, poops, that sort of things.... she might do that the first day until she´s used to the new environment but will perk up...

she sounds such a sweet bird.... those tail feathers are lovely...love those patterns... you´ll love a pearl tiel feathers ;)

I live in a Bachelor, so there is no bedroom, or other rooms.. Just the one :)
So my options are kinda limited.

She was acting like a little monkey last night and this morning. She was all over the bars wanting attention. So far I haven't seen her on the bottom of the cage. Shes always on the bars begging for attention, or resting on the perch. I don't think the new cage or enviroment bother her at all (yet), but its the constent attention she wants is the issue so far. I really didn't think she would want anything to do with me so soon. I thought she would fear & hate me until she knew I wasn't going to harm her. Nope, it was like an instand bond in her mind, & I like her a lot already too :)

My boyfriend is going to be sooo happy that he'll be able to hold her. He likes birds a lot, but the ones hes had in the past were always agressive & would attack him. He tried for years to be friends with his father's Budgies, but it got to the point no one let them out as they would attack anyone breathing!! So I know Jordan will be crazy excited when he comes over on Fri. It'll be instant love hehe.. He doesn't like dogs, but he can tollerate them for a little while. But Digi has such a loving personality I swear she loves him more then me sometimes!!! He also never knew that he liked fish & that they could be so interesting too. He is scared to death of Spiders, but will stare at Lilly as shes non threatening. He even loves Bobbie. He has sworn that Bobbie will be his friend one day.

I'm pretty sure the toes were removed by force. They are different lengths & at different nuckles. One is missing the nail part of the toe, one is 1/2 gone, & the other is 3/4 gone. They are normal diamater, but the ends are a slightly different texture then the rest of her toe skin, so I do believe they were removed at some point in her life.

Is it common for other birds to bite off the toes of other birds? if so why?

gotta run...

Husky_mom
11-19-2008, 11:33 AM
it´s so great she loves you already...that is soo sweet... :) ...

and yes when birds especially hooked beaked birds bite tehy can do nasty damage... if a bird stands over teh cage of other bird and that birds gets annoyed he will try bite his feet... and depending on his "anger" he might chop them down... or at least severely damage them making it necesary to remove them for the birds further health and to prevent infections and/or gangrene or something...

my Maui has bited Jacks feet... they were on same cage, tolerated each other... but if he got close enough for her she would threat to bite until one day she did... she just puntured his toe.. but if she wanted she could have had "removed" it completely with one bite...

another theory is that her feet might have got caught/tangled in something and in her freak to getting loose she might have tightened it to the point the removal of the toes had to be done...

anyway... hope to see more of her... lucky you and lucky bird... I´m happy for you all

king2005
11-21-2008, 03:15 PM
I'll prob have more pictures of her this weekend as I know Jordan is going to fall in love with her when he comes over tonight :)