PDA

View Full Version : Gary has another neutering appointment...He didn't come home.

Moesha
11-18-2008, 08:24 AM
Gary has an appointment with the local TNR type program to be vaccinated and neutered this weekend. Here I go with having to try and trap him again. He has to be in a trap, no carriers or cages. I have the trap and I'm going to have to work all week to try to get him in there. I have to leave my house at 6:45 Sunday morning to take him, so it looks like Saturday will be the big day. He is back to rubbing all over my legs when I go out to feed him, but I can't pick him up and if I make any sudden movements or anything out of the ordinary he and Juliet and Jose all run. I may be able to lure Jose and Juliet inside, and then just leave the trap out there for him to be caught in. Other than that this is going to be hard! Here's hoping for the best.

Anikaca77
11-18-2008, 10:10 AM
I hope you get him. Last night I spotted a new one eatting food from my bowls. Fluffly black tail and skinny too boy scared the crap out of me but at least there is food for him for now.

Best wishes that you catch him.

catmandu
11-18-2008, 04:26 PM
OH MY GOODNESS I THOUGHT YOU MEANT ME!!!
JUST KIDDING , AND THAT IS GREAT THAT LITTLE FELLOW HAS HIS FURREVER HOME NOW, AND THAT THERES FOOD FOR ANOTHER LOST SOUL.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/meowies1423.jpg THOMAS THE TABBY , OUR LATEST PORCH CAT, BUT HE LOOKS TO WELL FED TO BE A STRAY CAT TO ME :love::love:

lvpets2002
11-18-2008, 04:29 PM
:p I was afraid you would think it was about you Uncle Gary.. I felt sure you were like What!!!..

Hey good luck wittle baby on your surgery.. Now dont give meowmom to much trouble catching you ok.. Be a good boy..

[QUOTE=catmandu;2091161]OH MY GOODNESS I THOUGHT YOU MEANT ME!!!
JUST KIDDING , AND THAT IS GREAT THAT LITTLE FELLOW HAS HIS FURREVER HOME NOW, AND THAT THERES FOOD FOR ANOTHER LOST SOUL.

Emeraldgreen
11-18-2008, 05:33 PM
I hope you can catch him Moe! Will you be putting Gary's food near the opening of the enclosure and then further in each night for a few nights so he gets used to it? I can't remember if you did this last time. I hope it works. Maybe bringing the other two in on the night you set the trap as you suggested might be a good idea to ensure that he is the one that gets trapped.
Please keep us updated. :) Hope everything goes smoothly.

Moesha
11-18-2008, 08:57 PM
I made that post just minutes before I was leaving the house and later I thought about how that might sound to skin Gary. Sorry! LOL

I know I won't be able to keep the other two inside for very long, but I will definitely try everything I can think of and will reread the suggestions from last time also. The problem with trying to put his food close to the trap is that Gary is such a food monster that he runs everyone off from their food bowl. He wants to eat all of them. He makes everyone play musical bowls until he finds the one he likes best. The only way I can really think of is to get Juliet and Jose inside and let him wander into the trap. Getting them inside is going to be the hard part. They have to come in on their own. Maybe I can lure them in with smelly canned food or something. It's going to be fun. I will keep you posted for sure!

catmandu
11-19-2008, 09:39 AM
OH NO MOESHA:):), I ENJOYED THAT A LOT:):), AS DID THE FOUND CATS WHO THINK THAT IF THEY HAD TO GO IN FOR THE OPERATION, THEN I SHOULD HAVE TO LIE ON THE TABLE AS WELL.
:eek::eek:
FAIR IS FAIR AFTER ALL:cool::cool:

Moesha
11-21-2008, 09:53 PM
I am already getting nervous about trying to trap him tomorrow. It's going to have to be done in the evening because I think it would be way too traumatizing for him to be in the humane trap all day tomorrow and all night also. Juliet and Jose have been running in when I open the sliding door. I'm going to try keeping them in with some canned food on little plates. I just need them distracted for long enough to shut the door and keep them in. I don't know if I can get it to work, but I don't know what other choice I have. If they are outside, they'll be caught in the trap. After that I will have to go around back from the front door and put the food down to lure him inside. I think I'm going to get the trap set in the morning. I know it will be too much commotion for him if I try to set the trap and put the food in at the time I am trying to lure him inside.

I have an appointment for 2 cats. And wouldn't you know it, I've found another cat to take. There's a darling little girl kitty that has been hanging around outside the house that my brother's family just moved out of. They thought she belonged to the neighbor's granddaughter. My mom called and the grandmom said she didn't know anything about the cat. Looks like she is going to get fixed also. My sister and her husband will be moving into the house on Dec 1. They said she can stay there with them, as long as she gets along with their 2 kitties. She is unbelievably sweet.

I'll update to let you know when (not if) I catch him tomorrow.

catmandu
11-22-2008, 09:36 AM
I PUT OUT ROAST BEEF AND TOMMY THE TABBY:cool::cool: CAME RUNNING.
HES AT THE STAGE WHERE HES HUNGREEEE BUT SCRAED OF ME. I LEFT THE BEEF WITH DRY BESIDE IT, AND SOON BOTH WERE GONE, AS IF BY MAGIC!!!
THE MAGIC OF CAT LOVE:):), THAT IS.:love::love:

Randi
11-22-2008, 09:53 AM
I hope you manage to get Gary in the trap. Don't feed him at least 8 hours before. Do you know his food preferences? Raw white fish or shrimps works with Fister every time - and also raw liver. I remember the drama we had when we needed to take him to the vet. It took years before we could lift him.

Try not to be nervous, he'll sense it and stay well away if he knows something is up.

Best of luck with his vet visit! :)

catmandu
11-22-2008, 09:59 AM
AND A CAN OF TUNA FISH:):) WILL CREATE A MIRACLE AND MAKE A FURRY PURRY FRIEND, GUARANTEED.:love::love::love:

Moesha
11-22-2008, 10:44 AM
We had a trial run this morning. My fear is not being able to get Juliet and Jose inside the house. Gary is only concerned about food. It doesn't matter what it is, he wants to eat all of it. I have to get Julie and Jose inside so they don't get lured into the trap. Higgins is the wildcard in all of this. Today I had two plates with some canned food on them inside so that Julie and Jose would be tempted to come in and eat. Higgins is the pain the butt. He's the one that isn't scared of people and gets the others nervous. He came in and wanted food, I picked him up and took him to another room. By that time Julie and Jose were eating food, but I wasn't close enough to the door to close it. I didn't want to close them inside this morning anyway, I just wanted them to be comfortable enough to eat while I closed the door. Jose took his hunk of wet food and ran back outside. I'm going to give them more and mash it up so they have to stay there to eat. Once I get them closed inside I'll worry about getting Gary in the trap. I know he'll go in for any food. As long he is the only candidate out there to go in, I'm sure I can get him eventually. This might become a 3 person job! Thinking about your suggestions, I may just make up a really stinky and scrumptious mess of tuna and other stuff to keep Julie and Jose very interested. They will only come inside a foot or two.

Moesha
11-22-2008, 05:39 PM
It was touch and go! I got the others inside without much trouble. I went around back as planned and loaded the trap with smelly yums. I cam back inside and Gary circled and circled. Finally he went in and ate. The big goof is so large he could eat the food at the end of the trap without stepping on the pad to close the door!!! Out he came and off he went. So I went out with even smellier stuff and he ran off the deck into the woods. I figured he was the only one out there, so eventually he had to come get those yums. I waited and waited and no Gary. I finally gave up and went around the block to get the other kitty that will be going tomorrow. When I got back, he was inside!!

Now here's my question. Will he be ok outside in the trap with a towel covering him overnight. It is supposed to be 25. I don't know where in the world I would put him inside otherwise. The other girl will be in the bathroom, which is normally where Aroara hangs out. So she'll have to find another place. I don't have any other flooring that isn't carpeted to be protected incase Gary "goes potty" except the kitchen which has no possible way of being blocked off. It is right in the middle of the house. I don't really have any other options. Tomorrow when he has to be inside I'll have to put someone in my sister's house. But they have already left and I don't have a key. They are leaving a key for tomorrow. Surely he'll be ok for tonight, won't he?

Scooter's Mom
11-22-2008, 06:17 PM
It was touch and go! I got the others inside without much trouble. I went around back as planned and loaded the trap with smelly yums. I cam back inside and Gary circled and circled. Finally he went in and ate. The big goof is so large he could eat the food at the end of the trap without stepping on the pad to close the door!!! Out he came and off he went. So I went out with even smellier stuff and he ran off the deck into the woods. I figured he was the only one out there, so eventually he had to come get those yums. I waited and waited and no Gary. I finally gave up and went around the block to get the other kitty that will be going tomorrow. When I got back, he was inside!!

Now here's my question. Will he be ok outside in the trap with a towel covering him overnight. It is supposed to be 25. I don't know where in the world I would put him inside otherwise. The other girl will be in the bathroom, which is normally where Aroara hangs out. So she'll have to find another place. I don't have any other flooring that isn't carpeted to be protected incase Gary "goes potty" except the kitchen which has no possible way of being blocked off. It is right in the middle of the house. I don't really have any other options. Tomorrow when he has to be inside I'll have to put someone in my sister's house. But they have already left and I don't have a key. They are leaving a key for tomorrow. Surely he'll be ok for tonight, won't he?

Would you want to be outside in a metal trap with only a towel for covering in 25 degree weather? Surely there's somewhere you could put him inside?

edit: I'm sorry - that came out much harsher than I meant it to. I'm just concerned that 25 deg. would be too cold for him. Please accept my apology.

kt_luvs_kitties
11-22-2008, 06:40 PM
I am glad they will be fixed tomorrow. As for somewhere to put him, if you are worried about accidents, you could put a trash bag underneath the cage, so that it will "catch" the accident, so they dont soak in. That is what I do with new fosters until they get tested and can be out.

If that does not work, I hope that you have a heating pad, or a portable heater you can run outside to keep on him. At 25, that is below freezing, and might give him a URI or something, and I would worry that could lead to complications during surgery.

I pray that all goes well tomorrow, and that they are getting fixed! Good Luck!:love:

Catty1
11-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Moesha, get a few older towels and/or a blanket or two you don't really like, and put them flat and stacked on the carpet.

Put the trap on top...any pee will soak thru but not to the carpet.

Keep the trap covered...he'll be less likely to panic that way.

I like the trash bag idea...but any pee will run off the plastic and onto the carpet; that's my concern.

Good luck at the vet tomorrow. :)

Moesha
11-22-2008, 07:17 PM
That's not a bad idea Catty and is similiar to what I'm planning for the car ride tomorrow. I was afraid with just trash bags or plastic underneath, he would somehow dig at it and injest it or something. Maybe I'll lock Morgan and Aroara in the extra bedroom with a litterbox and put Gary and the cage on the kitchen floor. I just hope he'll be quite through the night. He's going to have to stay outside until bedtime. Maybe if it is quiet and dark he won't make noise.

Moesha
11-22-2008, 07:19 PM
edit: I'm sorry - that came out much harsher than I meant it to. I'm just concerned that 25 deg. would be too cold for him. Please accept my apology.

Apology accepted. I know we are all concerned about the animals and their welfare. I was concerned about it too. That's why I asked for suggestions. :)

Freedom
11-22-2008, 07:30 PM
With a towel draped over the cage, he will be calm and quiet. The wild ones don't howl. That is something the tame ones learn as a way to communicate with us and get our attention. With the towel, it is like a little cave. He will be fine.

I was going to say a trash bag, then some old towels but I see someone already did that.

I usually just line the inside of the trap with newspaper. I leave them inside on the futon, and I've never had a problem with them going through; beginner's luck I guess! As if a couple sheets of news paper would do it!

Best of luck.

Moesha
11-22-2008, 07:33 PM
The towel is over the cage. That was the first thing I did when I saw that he was inside. He was sitting there calmly until I turned on the outside light.

Freedom
11-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Sure, the light means a human is around. Humans are the predator, he is the prey. I'm sure he will be alright.

Moesha
11-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Ok, everyone is tucked in for the night and no one is happy! I put the stray girl, who is friendly as can be, in the bathroom. I let her out of the carrier and put the litterbox from the bedroom in there. Then I put Morgan's regular litterbox in the bedroom with Aroara and Morgan. Gary is on newspaper in the trap in the kitchen.

The girl, keeps sticking her paws out from under the door trying to get attention. Aroara hissed as I carried her by the bathroom and again when I put her in the bedroom with Morgan. Gary let out a big wail as I brought him in and put him in the kitchen. I just hope I get some sleep tonight. I have to figure out a good way to get the two traps in my car and leave before 7 to get them to the place on time.

Since I have to work all afternoon/evening, my mom has graciously agreed to pick them up between 4 and 5. I know from past experience they have to stay inside tomorrow night because they can't regulate their body temperatures after being knocked out. I'm borrowing a wire dog kennel to keep the girl contained in it for a few days. That will let her heal some and keep her belly warmer since they'll have to shave her. I thought about putting her in my sister's house, but she'd be there alone without someone to watch her and make sure she is ok tomorrow night.

Now I must go because I hear very strange noises from the bathroom. She might just have to go back in the carrier. (It's for a medium sized dog, so she has plenty of room to walk around in there.)

Karen
11-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Oh, gosh - good luck over the next couple days! And some earplugs might help you get some sleep, as I imagine there will be LOUD complaining from various contained parties!

jennielynn1970
11-22-2008, 10:41 PM
Awe.... I hope you get some sleep tonight! I'll be thinking about your ride to the vet tomorrow morning!

The little girl sounds like a heart stealer!!

Taz_Zoee
11-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Sounds like you've got things well under control there. :)
If you are anything like me, I wouldn't get sleep just because I'd be worried about them. Like the first night we had Taggart........NO sleep for me. But since then I've slept just fine. I hope you can get some sleep. Earplugs is not a bad idea. I have some right by my bed for when Bruce has "jam sessions". :rolleyes:

Emeraldgreen
11-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Gary is such a food monster that he runs everyone off from their food bowl. He wants to eat all of them. He makes everyone play musical bowls until he finds the one he likes best.

It doesn't matter what it is, he wants to eat all of it.

Higgins is the wildcard in all of this.

Jose took his hunk of wet food and ran back outside

It was touch and go! loaded the trap with smelly yums... Gary circled and circled

LOL! That was so neat to read, it was like a book I didn't want to put down! I'm so glad he's been trapped, it truly is amazing considering how many odds were against you! GOOD JOB!!! :)

I'm glad he's inside and will be warm and I hope that you will be able to get some sleep for the big day tomorrow. You'll probably be so tired at work but it will all be worth it because you finally did it!

Please keep us posted when they get back to your place after surgery. I hope all will go well.
p.s. that is great that your brother will let the little girl kitty stay with them if she gets along with the other two.

Moesha
11-22-2008, 10:51 PM
I put the girl back in the carrier. I went in the bathroom and there was litter EVERYWHERE! Aroara is digging at the carpet in the bedroom trying to get out. I'm sure by tomorrow it will be in shreds. And so it begins. LOL

Medusa
11-23-2008, 05:26 AM
Wow, this has been quite the saga. Your persistence has paid off, though. Hoping that you were able to get some sleep and praying that all goes w/out a hitch. :)

Moesha
11-23-2008, 05:58 AM
I kept waking up, but things were pretty quiet each time. Now that I am up and out of bed everyone is squawking. I first heard Gary banging around in the trap wailing. He sounds so much like Morgan. Morgan was wailing in the bedroom. Then the girl in the bathroom started. I got up moved her to the room I'd been sleeping in with the light off. Made Aroara go in the bathroom to eat. Of course she hissed. She's such a spitfire! I came out here and Gary was still going but has since quieted down. Morgan is at my feet waiting for his morning dose of wet food. I hope the hour car ride is manageable. Thanks for the responses. I'll update later tonight when I get home from work, if I'm still able to write sentences then.

catmandu
11-23-2008, 12:16 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/meowies1440.jpg
THATS FUNNY AS TUBSTER PANTHER:love: WAS THE OPPOSITE
AS BIG AS HE IS IF ANOTHER FOUND CATS CAME WHIILE HE WAS EATING, HE WOULS LEAVE RATHER THAN FIGHT OR SHARE!!!:eek:
I HAVE TO FEED HIM SEPERATLY IN THE BASEMENT.
SCRAPPY 2 THE SENSATIONAL :love:WAS A BIT OF A HOGGETTE , BUT WOULD SHARE ANYTIME :D
WE PRAY ALL EVERYONE CALMS DOWN, AND THAT SOON PEACE WILL REIGN.:love::love:

Moesha
11-23-2008, 06:40 PM
It was an eventful day. The little girl did well with the surgery. Gary didn't make it to being neutered. He tested positive for leukemia. More about that is posted in the thread in Cat Memorial. (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=2093151#post2093151)