PDA

View Full Version : TWILIGHT three days and counting!!!

caseysmom
11-18-2008, 08:19 AM
Me and my daughter are so excited, we won't get to see it until Friday though so its 4 days and counting for us!

Sirrahsim
11-18-2008, 12:30 PM
WOOT!!! My husband got us a babysitter so we will be going on Friday evening!!

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
11-18-2008, 12:52 PM
*dances*

caseysmom
11-18-2008, 01:06 PM
WOOT!!! My husband got us a babysitter so we will be going on Friday evening!!

Good job hubby!

ramanth
11-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Mom, sister, and I are catching the 10 a.m. matinee on Friday. :D

jennielynn1970
11-18-2008, 01:27 PM
The girl I did homebound instruction for last year has tickets for the midnight premier. She wants me to come with her and her boyfriend, lol. Um.... midnight premier, chaperoning teenagers.... YIKES! I think I'll wait for a matinee, lol!

caseysmom
11-18-2008, 03:40 PM
The girl I did homebound instruction for last year has tickets for the midnight premier. She wants me to come with her and her boyfriend, lol. Um.... midnight premier, chaperoning teenagers.... YIKES! I think I'll wait for a matinee, lol!

That really says a lot about you that you were invited, she must love you...you must mean a lot to her...really.

jennielynn1970
11-18-2008, 03:50 PM
That really says a lot about you that you were invited, she must love you...you must mean a lot to her...really.

I absolutely ADORE Ashley. She and I got to be really close when she was my student last year. I had actually had her as a student since she was in Kindergarten (as a librarian I get them all, every year, and I LOVE it!). I was the one she called when she OD'd in June. Not her mom, not her dad... she called me. I called her mom at work and then drove them to the hospital. The family means a lot to me. They have a lot of issues, but I can totally relate to that.

Maybe I'll go and brave the storm of tweens and teens, lol. I don't want to let Ash down.

caseysmom
11-18-2008, 04:19 PM
I absolutely ADORE Ashley. She and I got to be really close when she was my student last year. I had actually had her as a student since she was in Kindergarten (as a librarian I get them all, every year, and I LOVE it!). I was the one she called when she OD'd in June. Not her mom, not her dad... she called me. I called her mom at work and then drove them to the hospital. The family means a lot to me. They have a lot of issues, but I can totally relate to that.

Maybe I'll go and brave the storm of tweens and teens, lol. I don't want to let Ash down.

Thats really special that she has you. I bet you two will always have a bond.

Suki Wingy
11-18-2008, 06:54 PM
I'll probably wait til Thanksgiving break because I'll be home and two of my aunts really want to see it. If I could wait three days to get Breaking Dawn then I can definitely wait a week for the movie.

k9krazee
11-18-2008, 06:57 PM
I think I'll see it during Thanksgiving break as well. That way I can drag my sister (willingly) along, instead of trying to persuade my boyfriend that he should go see it with me. :P

Plus, Bolt comes out the same day...and I'm a little more excited to see that, and so is Rich. :o ;)

jazzcat
11-18-2008, 07:07 PM
Okay, obviously I've been living under a rock but what is Twilight? I've heard it mentioned several places but don't have a clue.

Edit: I just googled it and saw the movie trailer. So it's based on a book?

Sirrahsim
11-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Twilight the movie is based on the first book of the Twilight Saga series written by Stephenie Meyer. The books have gathered a HUGE following similar to the Harry Potter phenomenon :D People young and old seem to be drawn to them.

jennielynn1970
11-18-2008, 09:51 PM
We're having a difficult decision as to whether allow book #4 on our middle school shelves in our district. Numbers 1-3 were so tame, and I had no issue with a 6th through 8th grader reading them. I ordered two copies of #4 with my book order in the summer, before reading it obviously, because we all thought it would be fine.

For all those who read it, it really took on a different direction in the description of their relationship and all that good stuff. I was a bit disappointed because although I wanted to see the relationship go to the next level, for the kids I didn't want the description to be "that" adult. I can say I'll only allow 8th graders to check it out, but what if my assistant or a substitute allow a younger student to take it out? What if a younger brother or sister borrow it and the parents want to know why it's on our shelves in a middle school where 11 through 16yr olds go (yes, it's that wide in an age spread).

We don't have any policy on controversial books, so we have to be really careful because each principal in our 25 schools in our district can make their own decisions for their schools.

I really don't think #4 will be on our shelves. Sadly.

Anyone else have thoughts on how #4 took on a more mature direction, and whether they'd allow their kids to read them (depending on their ages)?

CathyBogart
11-18-2008, 10:03 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOH, I can't wait!! My future hubby actually offered to take me to see it opening night, I think that says a lot about him, and what he's willing to put up with in order to make me happy. :D :D

animal_rescue
11-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Ok so I totally shouldn't brag but I'm sooo flipping excited! I'm a manager at my movie theatre and we have to preview the movies before they are shown to the public to make sure nothing is wrong with them. So more than likely I'll be seeing it on Wednesday night after the theatre is closed and the public is gone. So I'll be one of two in the entire theatre. Woot woot!:D

ramanth
11-18-2008, 10:48 PM
That's a tough call Jenn. I don't have kids but I do know that each kid is different in their maturity level. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with someone under 14 reading BD.

Is there a high demand for it? If you can't instill a 'under such and such age' policy for the book, I think keeping it off the shelf is a good idea.

Point kids to their public library for a copy.

caseysmom
11-18-2008, 10:54 PM
That's a tough call Jenn. I don't have kids but I do know that each kid is different in their maturity level. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with someone under 14 reading BD.

Is there a high demand for it? If you can't instill a 'under such and such age' policy for the book, I think keeping it off the shelf is a good idea.

Point kids to their public library for a copy.

Now I want to read book 4:D I got until the end of book 3 then sort of got in a slump.

ramanth
11-18-2008, 10:56 PM
I'll be honest, caseysmom, it wasn't my favorite out of all of them.

caseysmom
11-18-2008, 11:01 PM
I think a story like this will lose some of the appeal after so many books, its all new and interesting in the first book.

jennielynn1970
11-19-2008, 12:12 AM
I think a story like this will lose some of the appeal after so many books, its all new and interesting in the first book.

Ok, so Kimmy read it, and I read it. What did you think Kimmy?? I would have sworn on one of my crappy paychecks that someone else wrote the book. It was not her typical writing. All the terms of endearment from Edward TOTALLY turned me off. He didn't talk like that. I totally went back and reread 1-3 and thought "Ah ha! She had someone else write it!" I doubt it, but it was just so NOT what I was expecting in so many of the chapters.

I was not elated by this book. I was disappointed. Seriously. I wanted more action toward the end. I wanted that conflict and climax at the appropriate areas, and while I liked her discovering her power, it wanted more out of that, and more out of what happened in the field. I was sorely disappointed with that. That it just ended. HUMPF. One unhappy reader here, lol.

That's my comment. My disappointment with the ending of the series. I mean, I love Caroline Cooney (the Janie series) and Lois Duncan books, and they never disappoints me (Duncan's daughter was abducted and killed under suspicious circumstances and she really focuses on crimes that happen, and she wrote a book about it called Who Killed My Daughter?

ramanth
11-19-2008, 05:26 PM
You pretty much nailed it on the head about why I didn't like it Jenn.

It totally felt out of place from the rest of the series. I could complain about details, but that would spoil it for those that haven't read it. ;)

Sirrahsim
11-19-2008, 06:45 PM
To me, Breaking Dawn felt like very well written fan fiction... I hate to say that about Stephenie Meyer, but I am in agreement that it didn't flow with the other three.

Suki Wingy
11-19-2008, 10:49 PM
I thought it was fan fiction too. I did really like the second section, from Jake's POV though. Jake is my favorite character, though.

sammy101
11-19-2008, 11:28 PM
IMO, Jakes POV was the only part that really flowed with the other books.
I didn't hate Breaking Dawn but I didn't absolutely love it. It's nice to have closure on Bella & Edwards relationship. :)
I'm a mod on the Twilight Teens forum. You guys should join if you are interested!

But I am SO excited for the movie! I think it's going to be awesome!

caseysmom
11-20-2008, 09:12 AM
Bought our tickets on fandango this morning!

I_luv_rusty
11-22-2008, 10:49 AM
I went to see it, last night. :) At the 7:05 showing at my theater, it got sold out friday moring. But, my friends & I had all bought our tickets on fandango.

It was so crowded, the first time I've ever seen so many people going to see a movie. Although I've never been at a very popular movie on the very first nights. I got there at around 6, and meet up with some of my other friends. There was a huge line to get into the movie, while they cleaned up from the last showing. They had an area roped off for people to stand waiting and it went all the way around the concession stand.

It was so crowded inside, my group of friends took up a whole row. There were also people sitting in the very front row to watch, I don't get how you'd do that. You'd be like looking up in the air, the whole time.

People also would yell at random parts, when Edward and all the guys came on people would go crazy. Then at kissing scences, everyone would like clap or go aww. Which was also a first, I've never been to a movie where people would scream when certain people came on or at certain scences.

Anyways, GOOD movie :D

caseysmom
11-22-2008, 02:48 PM
It was pretty quiet at our theater. We got their an hour early armed with our starbucks and stood in line outside...its not bad here, it was actually pleasant. I had a 28 year old woman and her boyfriend in front of me, he saw our coffee and immediately ran and got her one, I told her she better hold on to him.

They were really nice and I enjoyed talking to them, I thought I would hate the whole opening night crowd thing. My daughter knew the girls behind us so it worked out great.

My daughter was a little disappointed, I really like the movie and the scenes, I thought it was pretty true to the book.

Sirrahsim
11-22-2008, 03:30 PM
Hmm.. .the first half of the movie was rough for me. It just doesn't seem to flow properly or something. Like it is just a mish mash of random scenes or something?? Once I got past that annoyance I really liked it. My favorite scene was with the piano and Bella's Lullaby.
Jasper reminded me of Edward Scissorhands... Robert was to stiff -literally- he doesn't move his arms while he is walking and it seems like he never really knows what to do with his hands:confused:

I am going to see it again tonight (alone *cry*). Last night some girl decided to take a potty break in the middle of the kiss scene and completely ruined it for me. I looked down to pick my bag up off of the floor and by the time she had passed me it was over. Oh well..

I'm a little moody, and right now my thoughts and not flowing properly either, but overall I LOVED the movie :D

kitten645
11-22-2008, 09:08 PM
I saw it this morning. I haven't read the books but I plan on it. I thought it was okay. I do love a vampire story though. I bet I'll like the book better. I didn't feel like the characters were fleshed out enough. I didn't feel alot of empathy for any of them. No academy awards for sure but I did like it.
BTW, I helped my friend chaperone her girl scout troop! :eek: I was expecting the worst but everyone in the theatre was pretty polite. Lots of tween/teen giggles though. :rolleyes: It was fun to see them so excited about something. Reminded me of when I was that age and the latest Teen Beat or 16 magazine came out:p
Claudia

Sirrahsim
11-22-2008, 10:10 PM
It is most definitely better the second time:eek::D :love::love:

I can't wait for New Moon!! I'm a little shocked that they signed on for a sequel so soon. I wonder when they will aim for release? Maybe next Christmas:D

animal_rescue
11-23-2008, 09:56 AM
I previewed it Wednesday night. The movies got to the theatre around 11 pm but we didn't get done with our work until about 1 am. Then it took maybe an hour an a half to build the movies. So I started watching it close to 3 in the morning and didn't get home until about 5:30 am. It was definitely worth it though. I was waaaay excited to watch it but nervous to because when the first showing it's usually messed up and I have to run all the way upstairs to stop the movie and adjust the film.

I'm going to definitely watch it again though, probably just wait until a morning week show so it's not crowded at all.

ramanth
11-23-2008, 05:03 PM
I was pleasently surprised. I really enjoyed this movie. They did a great job of keeping with the book overall. One of my favorite book scenes and a bit of info that I liked weren't included but I didn't really notice until after I saw it.

I saw it again on Saturday with my sister and her friends. My sister didn't read the book and she loved the movie. She's excited for New Moon. Trying to get her to read the books, but she's pokey. She still hasn't read any of the Harry Potter's and is trying to finish Eragon.

Looking forward to seeing this again with my husband. I love this movie. :D

caseysmom
11-23-2008, 06:39 PM
I want to see it again but my daughter doesn't...anyone wanna go:D

Sirrahsim
11-23-2008, 06:58 PM
I've already been twice:D If we lived closer I would probably take you up on that :D

caseysmom
11-23-2008, 07:03 PM
My daughter got a t-shirt and a poster at hot topic.

RockyRoad
11-23-2008, 07:40 PM
It`s nice to see some people who enjoyed the movie! :D I`ll admit, I`m a bit nervous about seeing the movie because everyone I`ve spoken to has told me it was disappointing. But if I`m going to go to a movie prepared to nit-pick and criticize every detail of it, of course I`m not going to enjoy it. I hope to see it some time this week during Thanksgiving break, and I`m definitely going to go in with an open mind about it. Plus, I heard Billy Burke`s portrayal of Charlie is pretty amusing. :p

ramanth
11-23-2008, 07:51 PM
I love Billy Burke as Charlie. :D

Sirrahsim
11-23-2008, 08:31 PM
The Bella/Charlie relationship was PERFECT. Plus he is kind of a babe.. in that mature older man sort of way.:o:)

ramanth
11-23-2008, 09:23 PM
Shotgun scene was so my dad. My mom and sisters all agreed. :p :D

binka_nugget
11-23-2008, 09:59 PM
I've never read the books.. I was very against reading them (just as I was with Harry Potter). Well, I was working at the theatre friday night so I figured I'd go to the 12:30am show since only 30 tickets were sold (ALL the other shows were sold out though!) Well halfway through it I got hooked! I went back the next day for the 1pm show.. and I'm going again tonight haha. I started reading the first book.. sadly I kind of ruined the series for myself. I was googling images and found a tidbit on google about the fourth book.. :( I think I ruined Harry Potter the same way too!

ramanth
11-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Even if a tidbit of the fourth book was a spoiler, there is still so much story around the novels to enjoy. :)

Sirrahsim
11-24-2008, 07:05 AM
Shotgun scene was so my dad. My mom and sisters all agreed. :p :D

I have a picture from when my boyfriend came to take me to Homecoming where my Dad is standing next to us with his shotgun :D Thankfully it didn't scare him off because I'm married to him now!

ramanth
11-24-2008, 04:40 PM
My grandpa was a police officer and was cleaning his guns when dad picked up my mom for their first date. :D

My dad would often clean his hunting rifle when boys dropped by. Never really scared them off, but I never married any of them. :p

lute
11-24-2008, 06:31 PM
I went to see Twilight on Friday night. We got there nearly an hour early and it was almost sold out! I was shocked! I don't mean to be a downer, but honestly I felt like I was about 10 yrs too old for it. When Edward Cullen first came on the screen all the little girls screamed. It was so funny. I will probably watch the second one...Can't say the same for my date. He absolutely hated it.LOL

caseysmom
12-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Me and my daughter went again last night, I enjoyed it even more. I have decided I have a crush on Edward.

Suki Wingy
12-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Really? Because I like Jasper and Charlie now. :p :D

There were parts where I couldn't help but giggle. My aunt was the same. Some of the scenes were just perfect.

caseysmom
12-07-2008, 12:30 AM
I like charley too and he is more my own age...I think jasper is hilarious!

Suki Wingy
12-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Charlie is definitely not my age but then again I do seem to be attracted to older men. :o