PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard lights...while I am checking out car forums....

Catty1
11-17-2008, 10:00 PM
WAAAY last year I replaced two burned out dash lights. They lit up the tachometer and the heat gauge on the left, from behind the dash.

Found a great set of instructions on how to take that part of the dash off (right behind the steering wheel) and replace the wee bulbs.

Things were great. BUT - even though the replaced lights had obviously lasted for at least several years, if they were not the original ones, the one burned out in a month or two.

SO - my car is for sale. Several days ago, I get three new bulbs and replace them all. The one for the heat gauge didn't come on, so I made a mental note to re-install in the next while.

Tonight - the SECOND bulb is totally dead. 2/3 of the area is dark again.

I don't get it.

Maybe a fuse that keeps burning out the bulbs? Maybe one of the ribbon connectors is loose and the bulbs are fine?

Anyone have any theories or ideas?

Off to the User Forums....thanks....

Catty1
11-17-2008, 10:17 PM
hmmm....I did have to get a boost the other day after I listened to the radio for about 1/2 hour (waiting to get on a call in show).

RICHARD
11-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Check the plug to the wall socket.:eek::rolleyes:

They may be loose in the sockets or like the halogen headlights are not to be touched with a bare hand, the oil in your hands can make the light bulbs go bad fairly quickly.

The radio may have something to do with it also. My car hates jazz and doesn't do well when I tune it in.:confused::mad::(

Catty1
11-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks, Richard - I knew one wasn't in the socket properly. Will try again...one of the bulbs I removed is still "good"...will call the supplier and find out if these things are fussy about being touched. (They are so tiny, TRY to not do that! lol)

RICHARD
11-18-2008, 12:42 AM
Thanks, Richard - I knew one wasn't in the socket properly. Will try again...one of the bulbs I removed is still "good"...will call the supplier and find out if these things are fussy about being touched. (They are so tiny, TRY to not do that! lol)

Cool!, I knew the wall socket wasn't the problem!:D;)

moosmom
11-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Catty1,

Wow, I thought I was the only female that could replace parts in my car. I am impressed!!!!

lvpets2002
11-18-2008, 11:28 AM
:p Oh Heck I would just go get a FlashLight & keep in the car..:D Nope cant say I have ever had that problem.. However really I do try to fix most everthing myself..

Catty1
11-18-2008, 04:33 PM
OK - I went to the place I bought the bulbs to ask:
a. If they were sensitive to touch, like halogen ones. Answer: No
b. If the fuse controlled ALL the dash lights. Answer - yes, so if it was the fuse, one would not be working.

So, a suggested option was to clean the contacts and try again. Happy, I drove home, took the dash apart (had the kit with me), left the car to go get my contact cleaner from my apt, realized I had locked car AND apartment keys in my car, called AMA...

Anyway, did a good cleaning and put the bulbs back in. I THINK they are working - will have to wait until it is dark.

Just for the heck of it - gave all the ribbon connectors and bulbs a wee shot of contact cleaner.

Stay tuned for updates! :p

lvpets2002
11-18-2008, 04:45 PM
:p Dont forget the FlashLight.. :D

RICHARD
11-18-2008, 05:12 PM
OK - I went to the place I bought the bulbs to ask:
a. If they were sensitive to touch, like halogen ones. Answer: No
b. If the fuse controlled ALL the dash lights. Answer - yes, so if it was the fuse, one would not be working.

So, a suggested option was to clean the contacts and try again. Happy, I drove home, took the dash apart (had the kit with me), left the car to go get my contact cleaner from my apt, realized I had locked car AND apartment keys in my car, called AMA...

Anyway, did a good cleaning and put the bulbs back in. I THINK they are working - will have to wait until it is dark.

Just for the heck of it - gave all the ribbon connectors and bulbs a wee shot of contact cleaner.

Stay tuned for updates! :p

Dang woman!

Do you change oil and plugs, too!:eek::D

Catty1
11-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Well, heck I could - if I had a place to change them! Open air parking lot in winter is not great...and no doubt the Condo Board would frown at 'auto work' being done in the 'common area'.

I replace faucets, washers, o-rings, toilet parts (including gaskets).

Gosh - maybe I should give up on the dating sites and just submit resumes! LOL

I WOULD have to be shown how to do plugs and oil change - get a filter wrench and a plug puller (sometimes old tweezers just don't cut it :D ), but it ain't rocket science! :)

RICHARD
11-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Well, heck I could - if I had a place to change them! Open air parking lot in winter is not great...and no doubt the Condo Board would frown at 'auto work' being done in the 'common area'.

I replace faucets, washers, o-rings, toilet parts (including gaskets).

Gosh - maybe I should give up on the dating sites and just submit resumes! LOL

I WOULD have to be shown how to do plugs and oil change - get a filter wrench and a plug puller (sometimes old tweezers just don't cut it :D ), but it ain't rocket science! :)

Well, if you can hold on to your tool bag maybe you can do some rocket science work on the space shuttle?:D