PDA

View Full Version : Do Cats Mourn?

LionHart
11-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Since recently losing Nikki, 15 yr old memeber of our kitty family, this is timely. Thought I'd share.

http://www.petplace.com/cats/stories-from-cat-lovers-about-do-cats-mourn-the-death-of-another-cat/page1.aspx?utm_source=catcrazynews001et&utm_medium=email&utm_content=petplace_article&utm_campaign=dailynewsletter

lvpets2002
11-18-2008, 11:42 AM
:) Sure they do.. Pets can mourn over another animal & for sure they will mourn over their masters..

catmandu
11-18-2008, 03:42 PM
CERTAINLY THEY DO .
WHEN ANY OF MY CATS GO TO THE VETS AS MICHAEL THE DREAM DID FOR A WEEK RECENTLY, THE OTHER FOUND CATS ESPECIALLY JUKE JOINT JOSEPH , AND MUQUELITO WERE SADLY LOOKING FOR HIM, ASSUMING THE WORST I THINK.
THEY WERE SURE GLAD TO SEE MICHAEL THE DREAM JUMP OUT OF THE CARRIER!!!!:love::love:
I WILL NEVER FORGET HOW SAD MR SCRAPPY WAS WHEN I BROUGHT HOME THE EMPTY CARRIER, AND POUNCER THE FIRST CAT WAS NOT INSIDE.
HE ACTUALLY WAS CRYING:(:(, AND WAS SO SAD.:(:(:(:(

jennielynn1970
11-18-2008, 04:05 PM
I certainly think they do.

I remember when my foster Mac got adopted, and his buddy Bear was left behind here. Although I adored Bear, and he adored me, I wasn't Mac. Bear stopped eating and his FIV acted up, and I still think to this day he died of a broken heart because he missed his Mac. :(

GILL
11-18-2008, 04:15 PM
That's how we loss Patches, once she relised that Missy and Ginger were gone she just stopped eating and let go.

moosmom
11-18-2008, 07:52 PM
Absolutely!!

When Casey went to the Rainbow Bridge back in 2001, Mollie Rose was devastated! She wouldn't move from his blankey for weeks.

pomtzu
11-19-2008, 03:56 PM
Since recently losing Nikki, 15 yr old memeber of our kitty family, this is timely. Thought I'd share.

http://www.petplace.com/cats/stories-from-cat-lovers-about-do-cats-mourn-the-death-of-another-cat/page1.aspx?utm_source=catcrazynews001et&utm_medium=email&utm_content=petplace_article&utm_campaign=dailynewsletter

There were a lot of interesting stories to read there. Thanks!

And yes - I do believe they mourn - and dogs as well. Unfortunately I've seen it first hand with some of my RB kids.

cassiesmom
11-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Oh, I think so. My sister's cat Poco was distressed and a little mixed up after her cat Jasmine died. And my nephew's Churchill definitely acted like something was wrong after the family pet bunny died. Cats do mourn.

nancys
11-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Interesting - I definitely think cats (and dogs) mourn over the loss of their friends.

Kirsten
11-20-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm pretty sure that they mourn, but they may have different ways to show it (like humans). Sometimes you read or hear about cats becoming depressive after they have lost a friend.

Thanks for sharing the link with these hearttouching stories. I 'm very sorry that you have lost your Nikki!

Kirsten

LionHart
11-20-2008, 03:09 PM
I also agree that cats and other pets mourn. I had a dog who moped around the house when my dad was in the hospital and Nikki showed her greif by peeing all over the place when Mouser (another family cat) passed away.

And thank you Kirsten, I appreciate it.

Laura's Babies
12-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Everytime I fostered a kitten or cat when Chester lived with me, he would get so attached to them and would grieve when they left so bad, he would sit in the room I kept them in and cry, cry, cry! Then he would walk all over the house calling them and it was heartbreaking to watch him. His grieving is the reason I have Amy. When Samantha's former Mom moved away and took her away and she was no longer around to come in and keep him company, he grieved so bad I got him a kitten....AMY! He is one that definately needs a companion kitty, thank God Rie has her Annie so he has company.

JustineNYC
12-05-2008, 10:40 AM
One of my cats, Missy is 13. She was my grandfathers cat, and he passed away at home in 2007. My grandfathers body was on the floor, (we think he got up to go to the bathroom and collapsed) we were waiting with the police for the funeral home to come get him, and Missy went over and laid up against him. It was the saddest thing Ive ever seen.

She knew he was dead.

She wasnt the same for a while after that. Its been over a year and shes better. But Ill never be her owner. He was.

Zippy
12-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Yes.When Zippy's brother Tiger died.She cryed and looked for him.It was so sad.

catlover4ever
12-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Yes I beleive they do. I remember coming downstairs and finding my Tony having passed and his sister Tigger coming up to his body and giving him kisses as if to say goodbye. I beleive she mourned him for several weeks. When it was Tigger and Tucker's time to go over the last 2 years all the babies all mourned in their own ways....so yes I beleive they do.

Medusa
12-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Oh gosh, yes. After my tuxie Peeka died, her blackie brother Boo walked all through the house calling her, looking around corners, etc. And after my dog Charmin died, her daughter Daisy howled like a little wolf for 6 months and died shortly thereafter herself. My late friend Helen had 2 pet geese and when the female died, the male thrashed his head against the side of the house as he cried. It was heartbreaking. Absolutely cats mourn; I believe all animals do. I think that's partly why we bond w/them so.