PDA

View Full Version : Where do I start?

Kfamr
11-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Today marks the three months that my best friend passed away. For those who don't know, she passed from cardiac arrest as result of an eating disorder.

My friend Stephanie and I have been talking and we really want to start up a foundation or organization in honor of her. When Nicole was alive, there really wasn't anywhere that knew much about bulemia or much help for her.

Neither of us have much money at all. We really want to start something up in her honor that may help others in her situation. Where do we start? How can we do this? Anyone have any information?

I contacted a bulimia organization when it first happened and I haven't received anything back from them.

Cinder & Smoke
11-17-2008, 06:21 PM
When Nicole was alive,
there really wasn't anywhere that knew much about bulemia or much help for her.

Have you tried contacting the
National Association for Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Eating Disorders?

Their web site is >>>
http://www.anad.org/

ramanth
11-17-2008, 06:23 PM
I don't have answers, but I think that is a wonderful idea. Good luck! :love:

jennielynn1970
11-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Not sure about where to look for that, but what about also maybe starting a scholarship fund for Mia in honor of her mom, if that hasn't already been done.

caseysmom
11-17-2008, 06:32 PM
You could organize a walk or a bike ride and get sponsors...it would be good to go through the organization though, I can't believe they haven't contacted you that is pretty rude.

Kfamr
11-17-2008, 07:03 PM
I just sent out a bunch of other emails to other organizations (including the one phred linked to, thanks!)

I googled some and found a pro-eating disorder message board. I looked around and it made me so sad reading what some of them said, the pictures, etc. :(

Donnaj4962
11-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Why not check with your local library? Our main branch has a wonderful Philanthropy Department. Yours may have one also and be able to get you started! You may also want to contact any local Community Foundation for help in getting started.

Our library also offers workshops on starting 501 c 3 non-profits. Maybe yours does also.

I think what you want to do is a great idea! And in your friend's honor makes it even more special. Her daughter will know how loved her Mom was! Good luck, and please keep us posted on how things go.

Karen
11-18-2008, 10:32 AM
It can be something as simple as setting up a program at the local school - junior high or high school - if not the school, some other place where preteens or teens congregate ... every year in her name, and have speakers come in and talk about bulimia and related issues ... too many kids - male and female - think "it's just throwing up, what harm can it do?" and you know all too well it can not only kill a person, but break the hearts of all who loved her.

I think it is a fine idea, and a worthy one, and Nicole would be touched.

Ginger's Mom
11-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Kay, you have had some good ideas as to how to start some fund raisers (bike-a-thon, for example), or what to do with that money (speakers bureau). Since I am not sure exactly what kind of help/advise you were looking of I am adding a link for setting up your own non-profit organization (http://www.managementhelp.org/strt_org/strt_np/strt_np.htm). It's just the paralegal in me I guess. :) But I thought that it may give you some direction as to where to go next (developing a mission statement) and who to present it to in order to get started. I hope it helps.

beeniesmom
11-18-2008, 11:19 AM
That's a really great idea. She would be proud.

cyber-sibes
11-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Why not check with your local library? Kay, maybe you could donate some books on eating disorders to the local library & school libraries, in her name.

Just a couple ideas to consider -- I volunteered with a not-for-profit as the public liason, & one of the things our committee (3 people) did was to donate books to every library in our county on this particular medical issue. We also made contact numbers for information and mailed them to doctors & counselors who would perhaps have clients with this disorder.

Good luck, its a great idea.

Logan
11-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Kay, I think it is wonderful that you are considering this.

I had a couple of links I thought you might be interested in checking. I have a dear friend who suffers from Bulemia and she has put her money where her mouth is. I am so proud of her. Her website is www.spoonfedart.com . You should check it out and read her history and what she is doing now. She also refers to the National Eating Disorders Association that she fully supports. Their website is www.nationaleatingdisorders.org .
I hope you will find these to be helpful.

Logan