PDA

View Full Version : A Comment about Consumers these days

sasvermont
11-15-2008, 07:30 PM
I rec'd this in an email today - sobering, isn't it?

"After years of buying gadgets, cars and whole wardrobes on credit, the
gravy train has stopped. Not only has it stopped, it's derailed and is
hurtling off of a cliff. Many people have locked up their purses and
wallets, cut up their credit cards and stopped spending money. American
consumers are spent.

Every day it seems we are bombarded with a slew of figures detailing the
low level of consumer confidence and how this holiday season is going to
be one of deep discounts and little buying. Already, the list of stores
that are closing reads like a who's who of chain retailers, like Circuit
City and Linens-n-Things.

Many people are eating out less, forcing them to cook dinner and actually
talk to their families. Some aren't getting 900 channels on their
televisions, so they're playing games, going for walks or reading. Others
are putting money into savings accounts, meaning that when they want to
buy a gadget, car or clothes, they will be spending money they have
actually earned.

How dare they!

The media would have you believe that this is a terrible thing. Maybe I'm
old-fashioned, but I was taught to save, invest and live within my means.
This means buying a house with a substantial down payment and not
overextending credit. Apparently, I'm in the minority on this one.

Now, I certainly don't want our economy to go up in flames or grind to a
painful halt, but I can't help but think that this reduction in spending
is a good thing, at least in part. For years, many American consumers have
made shopping into a hobby, some going to the mall weekly, or even daily,
to purchase (mostly unneeded) stuff. I was beginning to worry that bargain
hunting would become an Olympic sport.

So it's only natural that eventually the tide would turn, that American
consumers would put the brakes on and stop overspending. It makes sense
that after years of living on credit and not saving a dime, many American
consumers would stop, take stock of things and realize that such a
lifestyle can't be sustained indefinitely.

But things can go too far in the other direction just as easily. Not
spending is not healthy for our economy, it will put people out of work
and eventually the wheels of commerce will stop turning. While I might
think that a return to a more conservative way of spending is a good
thing, I wouldn't advocate a total end to the modern age of consumerism.

What we need is to find a balance between overspending and not spending.
Maybe a whole new wardrobe isn't necessary every season, but having a few
new pieces of clothing probably won't break the bank. It's striking that
balance that's going to help lead the U.S. economy out of the rut we've
gotten it into, and, more important, keep us on a sustainable growth path
going forward. OK, rant over."

Sas:eek:

Catty1
11-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Amen.

Giving from our hearts, not our pocketbooks, would be a nice change.

And the recipients love it more.

Puckstop31
11-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Sadly... Most people understand this. The problem is that people who DON'T and lived a life WAY above their means, on credit, are going to be "bailed out". The healthy thing to do would be to let them fail.

Worse... Our governement does not even remotely understand the concept of living within your means...

Pam
11-15-2008, 10:35 PM
My comment will probably only serve to point up how old I am. I heard on the news the other day that people have been being approved for mortgage payments which equal 40-50% of their monthly family income. :eek: I remember back when hubby and I bought our first house in 1970 the typical mortgage payment could not exceed 25% of your monthly income. Also back then the mortgage company wouldn't consider my salary because it could stop coming in should little ones come into the picture (that was back in the days of stay-at-home moms). People were not running up their Visas and Mastercards because they were not yet on the scene. The only credit cards then were for retail stores. You simply saved up your money when you wanted to buy something. Those were some conservative times but much wiser times for sure and now you can tell just how old I am. :eek::p:D

gini
11-15-2008, 11:45 PM
My comment will probably only serve to point up how old I am. I heard on the news the other day that people have been being approved for mortgage payments which equal 40-50% of their monthly family income. :eek: I remember back when hubby and I bought our first house in 1970 the typical mortgage payment could not exceed 25% of your monthly income. Also back then the mortgage company wouldn't consider my salary because it could stop coming in should little ones come into the picture (that was back in the days of stay-at-home moms). People were not running up their Visas and Mastercards because they were not yet on the scene. The only credit cards then were for retail stores. You simply saved up your money when you wanted to buy something. Those were some conservative times but much wiser times for sure and now you can tell just how old I am. :eek::p:D

What a concept!!! Live within our means? Cut up the credit cards - actually SAVE??? Yes, Pam, now everyone can figure out how old both of us are....................but who cares.

RICHARD
11-16-2008, 12:24 AM
Bite me!;)

Us "old folks" remember the time when we paid cash for our purchases?

If you didn't have cash, you could not afford it.

T.V. that came from an antenna?

No microwave ovens?

Gas for 25 cents a gallon?

A phone call was 10 cents from a booth?

Drive in movies?

Home cooked meals?

Afternoon Newspapers for info?

Milk delivered to your home?

Cloth diapers?

AM radio?

Clothes without labels?

Non-Organic food?

It's not the government to blame-It's our own selfish desire to make our lives simpler.

We kneel before everything that we believe will make life simpler.

It's keeping up with the Jones-our thought that what we own and have make us more 'better' than the rest of the planet.

--------
Faster, easier!
30 minute meals! GPS! Text messaging! On line shopping! Ebay!

When the 'lights' go out see how impotent we are!

UGH! The thought of having to interact with people!;)

Us 'old people' will survive longer than the AHs who depend on electricity and tech in our lives.

LOL,
I have a manual can opener and plan to use it when the end of the world comes. God forbid I starve -I can open a can of raviolis when I get hungry.

Luddites Unite!

moosmom
11-16-2008, 08:03 AM
Amen Richard!!!!!!

Catty1
11-16-2008, 11:07 AM
One of the main characteristics of an addict is the "I want it when I want it and I want it NOW."

In a way, all North American society has become an addict.

Let's slow down:

1. No 'instant' anything - mashed taters, puddings, Pop-Tarts (ecch!)

2. No processed foods - cheese, etc

3. I do frozen veggies - but get better results with fresh-cut.

4. The basic foods - protein, veggies, fruits and healthy starches.

5. Do without until you have a grocery list long enough to warrant a trip to the store. Splurge on reusable shopping bags and/or a plastic shopping bin. (Plastic can be recycled).

It's funny - when I buy groceries and it is all healthy basics - I am surprised at how reasonable my bill is. I think it is the junk and processed stuff that really adds up.

Anyone else have ideas on how to slow parts of our lives down?

Edwina's Secretary
11-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Us 'old people' will survive longer than the AHs who depend on electricity and tech in our lives.

So what are you using to generate the non-tech computer you are using? AH's?

A nostalgic look back at how things were must include...limited opportunity for women and minorities, segregated schools, lack of knowledge about what constituted healthy and not healthy foods, far less medical advances, dangerous food additives and lots of other not so good things.

With the good comes the bad.

(For the record, I am older than R and the only debt I have is my home.)

I agree that as a society, overspending is a problem. It is extremely apparent in the area where I live.

I just don't think we should throw the baby out with the bath water!

I like my computer. I like the convenience of being able to order books, make reservations, research and learn on line. I like being able to make friends all over the world. I like voice mail. I like the microwave oven. I think a vacuum cleaner is much nicer than beating rugs and a clothes washer far better than a rock at the river.

Of course I could do without these things. But I would rather not.

It is a matter of whether we manage our things or let our things manage us.

shais_mom
11-16-2008, 12:41 PM
One of the main characteristics of an addict is the "I want it when I want it and I want it NOW."

In a way, all North American society has become an addict.

Let's slow down:

1. No 'instant' anything - mashed taters, puddings, Pop-Tarts (ecch!)

2. No processed foods - cheese, etc

3. I do frozen veggies - but get better results with fresh-cut.

4. The basic foods - protein, veggies, fruits and healthy starches.

5. Do without until you have a grocery list long enough to warrant a trip to the store. Splurge on reusable shopping bags and/or a plastic shopping bin. (Plastic can be recycled).

It's funny - when I buy groceries and it is all healthy basics - I am surprised at how reasonable my bill is. I think it is the junk and processed stuff that really adds up.

Anyone else have ideas on how to slow parts of our lives down?
shut off the computer and read a book
how "novel" an idea...

live without Cheese? I. Don't. Think. So.

:p

RICHARD
11-16-2008, 02:14 PM
shut off the computer and read a book
how "novel" an idea...

live without Cheese? I. Don't. Think. So.

:p
Watch out, that stuff will bind you!:eek:

Dang, I was having fun until........

Catty1
11-16-2008, 02:20 PM
LOL, Staci! I meant eat REAL cheese, not the processed crap! LOL

I think this is where the almost-tired expression 'footprint' comes in. I am not going to live without my electricity either. I do read, and use a lamp to help (compact fluorescent). My computer and peripherals are on a power bar - and turning that bar off after pooter is shut down has made a difference in my power bill, and hence consumption.

My goal is to spend less energy and money than is created for me. There are various charts out there to "measure" that, but none of them are really finite.

The old "need vs want" dilemma? I heard a great new version of that - DESIRE vs want. If it is something I truly desire, that adds a value - and it is not an impulse buy.

Our own national broadcaster, CBC, has come up with OMAOG - One Million Acts of Green. Anyone can post - here's the link: http://green.cbc.ca/

Some background and stats: http://www.blogto.com/environment/2008/10/the_hours_one_million_acts_of_green/

Gee - what do you think of having and Acts of Green sticky in General?:)

lizbud
11-16-2008, 04:34 PM
The concept of buying on layaway plan has resurfaced in Indy. Many people have stopped charging things & I think it's great. My Mom used
layaway to buy most everything but food back when I grew up.

RICHARD
11-16-2008, 04:53 PM
I am not going to live without my electricity either. I do read, and use a lamp to help (compact fluorescent).

LOL, I should have been more succinct! I was thinking about the people who cannot live with out their PDA/cells and feel like the are entitled to plug in a charger everywhere they go.

"My cell is almost dead, can charge it up here?"
Or they go to a public place that has a plug for the janitors to use. I laugh when I see a person squatting next to a plug using their phones for free.
-------------------
What I meant by the "lights going out" was that when the electricity goes out-people who are accustomed to 'everything' electric in their lives will panic.

Not me, I gots my propane camping light and me books!

caseysmom
11-16-2008, 08:11 PM
LOL, I should have been more succinct! I was thinking about the people who cannot live with out their PDA/cells and feel like the are entitled to plug in a charger everywhere they go.

"My cell is almost dead, can charge it up here?"
Or they go to a public place that has a plug for the janitors to use. I laugh when I see a person squatting next to a plug using their phones for free.
-------------------
What I meant by the "lights going out" was that when the electricity goes out-people who are accustomed to 'everything' electric in their lives will panic.

Not me, I gots my propane camping light and me books!

Hope you don't use that in the house!

Catty1
11-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Or under the sheets! :eek::p:D

zippy-kat
11-16-2008, 11:13 PM
LOL, Staci! I meant eat REAL cheese, not the processed crap! LOL

If it doesn't come individually wrapped and in a square, it's not REAL cheese! :D

Twisterdog
11-17-2008, 12:43 PM
One of my employees and I had a conversation about this today.

Everyone was discussing the economic hard times coming, recession, depression, etc. in close to panic mode.

Terry and I looked at each other and said, basically, "So what?" We will continue to live exactly like we live now, and have always lived ... frugally, within our means. We were raised by parents who lived through the great depression.

We know what it is to plan and save for a purchase, and wait until you have the cash before you buy. We know how to plant a garden, and how to can food. We have had periods in our lives when we didn't have a television or a land line phone, let alone a computer and a cell phone. I'm not saying we always do this all the time ... but we know how, and we would not bat an eye if we went back to doing it on a regular basis.

I go to yard sales and thrift stores. I buy in bulk. I wait for sales. My husband sometimes makes fun of me, saying, "Shanna, we make x-amount of money a year, you don't have to live like we are poor anymore." Well, why not? It doesn't hurt anyone.

sasvermont
11-17-2008, 01:14 PM
I am guilty of this, I am afraid, although have a handle on it right now. I know how tempting it is to spend, spend, spend, when you have hundreds of ads on TV and the INTERNET, inviting you to buy beyond your means. The secret is to stay grounded. It is oh so tough to do so.

My parents were good examples for saving and spending within your means, but I must confess, from time to time, I go in to debt. I think the marketing techniques used today, to spend, are quite convincing. Many people get sucked in to the abyss.

I don't have much hope for many of the folks in debt up to their eyeballs. I suspect they will go bankrupt, personally, eventually. But can half of society go bankrupt? Maybe I have the wrong attitude, but I think there are many people living on the edge and will not make it through this economic hard times, in one piece. I have bad feelings about our future, money wise.

ramanth
11-17-2008, 08:19 PM
The local K-Marts are pushing layaway very heavily.

The concept of buying on layaway plan has resurfaced in Indy. Many people have stopped charging things & I think it's great. My Mom used
layaway to buy most everything but food back when I grew up.

ChrisH
11-18-2008, 06:31 AM
A nostalgic look back at how things were must include...limited opportunity for women and minorities, segregated schools, lack of knowledge about what constituted healthy and not healthy foods, far less medical advances, dangerous food additives and lots of other not so good things.

With the good comes the bad.

I agree that as a society, overspending is a problem.

I just don't think we should throw the baby out with the bath water!

I like my computer. I like the convenience of being able to order books, make reservations, research and learn on line. I like being able to make friends all over the world. I like voice mail. I like the microwave oven. I think a vacuum cleaner is much nicer than beating rugs and a clothes washer far better than a rock at the river.

Of course I could do without these things. But I would rather not.

It is a matter of whether we manage our things or let our things manage us.

Well said, Sara.