PDA

View Full Version : Fun Animal facts

Rottieluver45
09-14-2002, 12:16 PM
I didn`t know where to post these so I`m posting them here.:D

DID YOU KNOW?

The world's smallest winged insect, the Tanzanian parasitic wasp,is smaller than the eye of a housefly.

Inbreeding causes 3 out of every 10 Dalmation dogs to suffer from hearing disability.

When a flea jumps, the rate of acceleration is 20 times that of the space shuttle during launch.

When a queen bee lays the fertilized eggs that will develop into new queens, only one of the newly laid queens actually survives. The first new queen that emerges from her cell destroys all other queens in their cells and, thereafter, reigns alone.

The cat was domesticated over 4,000 years ago. Today's house cats are descended from wildcats in Africa and Europe.

Many fish can change sex during the course of their lives. Others, especially rare deep-sea fish, have both male and female sex organs.

Cats step with both left legs, then both right legs when they walk or
run. The only other animals to do this are the giraffe and the camel.

The stuff (allergens) that people are allergic to in cats is a protein in cat saliva. When the cat grooms and the saliva dries it can become airborn. This protein is 1/3 the weight of ordinary housedust, so it can travel farther. You can find this allergen where cats have never been.

An adult lion's roar can be heard up to five miles away, and warns off intruders or reunites scattered members of the pride.

The oarfish, Regalecus glesne, is the longest bony fish in the world. With its snakelike body_sporting a magnificent red fin along its 50-foot length, horselike face and blue gills, it
accounts for many sea-serpent sightings

Camel milk does not curdle.

Australian termites have been known to build mounds twenty feet high and at least 100 feet wide.

I got these from Different e-mails! If you want more I can post some!

Uabassoon
09-14-2002, 12:24 PM
I like these facts. I'm a big nerd so I like knowing random facts.

Rottieluver45
09-14-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
I like these facts. I'm a big nerd so I like knowing random facts.

:D LOL!! I`m not a nerd But I`m dorky!! LOL!:D

I like little known facts too!

krazyaboutkatz
09-14-2002, 07:19 PM
These are very interesting. Thanks for sharing. :)

Ann
09-15-2002, 04:10 AM
Cool! I some of these already, but it's still really interesting! Please do post the rest if you have the time :)

BTW, what does "curdle" mean? I tried looking it up on dictionary.com but the site is offline (as usual).

lynnestankard
09-15-2002, 05:48 AM
Ann - curdle means to go 'off' - go bad - smelly and unusable!!

Love these 'little known facts'.

Lynne

Rottieluver45
09-15-2002, 12:13 PM
Here are a little bit more!

The silkworm moth has eleven brains.

The Australian Sea Wasp or Box Jellyfish which is found off the coast of Queensland causes death within 3 minutes if medical aid is not administered.

When a giraffe's baby is born it falls from a height of six feet, normally without being hurt.

A dragonfly can spot an insect moving 33 feet away.

Giraffes can clean their ears with their half metre long tongue.

There are an estimated five million,
trillion, trillion bacteria on Earth

lovemymaltese
09-16-2002, 02:40 PM
Wow, great information. Thanks so much for sharing!