PDA

View Full Version : So Sad

momtomany
11-15-2008, 07:26 AM
I saw this online at CNN. I just don't understand how anyone can be cruel.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/11/13/waugh.ga.cat.used.as.football.wjxt

Kirsten
11-15-2008, 08:59 AM
Poor little Polly!!! :love: This video brought tears to my eyes, but at the same time, I had to smile when I heard the little one purring so loud and sweet. What a brave little kitten, been through such a terrible thing, but still in good spirits.

I hope sweet Polly will find a loving and furrever home!

As for the kids who abused him... May justice come upon them. :mad: It will always be beyond me how people can be so heartless and cruel.

kitten645
11-15-2008, 09:43 AM
Poor poor baby. Listen to those giant purrs from that wee one :love: I don't understand how some kids can be that way. I would hope it's human nature to be kind to those smaller than ourselves. I see kids chasing and screaming at the ducks near my work everyday. Parents just sitting there:mad: I would guess those teenagers will end up in jail at some point and I hope THEY are used as a football. SOB's!
Claudia

catmandu
11-15-2008, 09:50 AM
SADLY CHILDREN ARE LIKETHAT BECAUSE OF THE FACT THAT THIER PARENTS, AND MEDIA ARE PUSHING MORE AND MORE VIOLENCE IN VIDEO GAMES AND MOVIES AND WE ARE GETTING A GENERATION WHERE YOUNG PEOPLE ARE DESENSATIZED TO VIOLENCE.
POLLYS SUCH A GREAT BRAVE CAT OF THE FUTURE AND WE PRAY THAT HE WILL OVERCOME THIS ROUGH START AND FIND HIS PURRFECT HOME :love::love::love:

Taz_Zoee
11-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Awwwwww, Polly Pocket is adorable!!!!!!! I am sure there are lots of people willing to adopt him since seeing this video. And I hope the two orangies that were found in a dumpster can get good homes too.

orangemm
11-15-2008, 12:37 PM
OMG, I cried when I saw this. That poor little thing.

I wonder where he is??? If I were close, I'd go get him!

Medusa
11-15-2008, 02:12 PM
How would we go about finding out where Polly is? I will take him RIGHT NOW!

ETA: Never mind. I just watched the video again and saw that he's in Kingsland, GA.

LionHart
11-15-2008, 03:19 PM
I know 2 wrongs don't make a right, but how many others had the first thought to drop kick the dipsticks that did this:mad:

I saw the video and when I heard that little motor running I knew the little fellow was a fighter! God Bless the vet and the techs.:love:

Medusa
11-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Any idea of how I might find out what clinic he's in? I'm serious about wanting to give him a home, although he'll probably go fast. Candace, I could use your PI skills here.

krazyaboutkatz
11-15-2008, 05:03 PM
How horrific!!!:mad: I'm so glad that he was brought in and saved from this horrible abusive situation.

He sure is a cutie pie and I'm sure that people will be lining up to adopt him.:) I also hope that the 2 other cats will find their loving forever homes too.:)

Hopefully the kids that did this to Polly will be caught and some kind of action will be taken before it's too late.:mad:

krazyaboutkatz
11-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Any idea of how I might find out what clinic he's in? I'm serious about wanting to give him a home, although he'll probably go fast. Candace, I could use your PI skills here.

Mary, here's a link that tells all about the clinic with the address and phone number: http://www.laureloaksanimalhospital.vetsuite.com/Templates/framed.aspx. Good luck.:)

Here's another link about the kittens' story and at the very bottom is the number that you can call if you're interested in adopting this kitten: http://www.news4jax.com/news/17967392/detail.html. Good luck.

Medusa
11-15-2008, 06:03 PM
I just sent the clinic a detailed email w/pix of the Fur Posse so that they can see that I have experience w/special needs cats. I also called and left a message but it's a weekend so I don't expect to hear anything until Monday. Fingers and paws crossed, please? And thanx so much for your help, Tracey.

Reachoutrescue
11-15-2008, 06:13 PM
That is so sad....poor Polly Pocket. I am so glad he is okay. This is why I tought my boys young that animals are "people" too! I hope you get him Medusa!!

krazyaboutkatz
11-15-2008, 06:13 PM
I just sent the clinic a detailed email w/pix of the Fur Posse so that they can see that I have experience w/special needs cats. I also called and left a message but it's a weekend so I don't expect to hear anything until Monday. Fingers and paws crossed, please? And thanx so much for your help, Tracey.

You're very welcome.:D Now lets all say some PT prayers and hope that Mary will be chosen to adopt this little boy.:) You know you have a lot of personal references here too.;) I can't think of a better home for him than a PT home.

Medusa
11-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Thanx to Tracey's suggestion, I also emailed them a second time w/Dr. Lee's contact number and his website address. Gosh, it's going to be a long weekend. So much for saying that I'm done adopting, eh? Well, I've adopted only special needs cats except for Buddy who didn't get to be a part of the Fur Posse. Hopefully, Polly Pockets will.

critters
11-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Let me know if you get picked; HP has people in GA, SC, NC, and VA. SCAT (Special Cats Action Team) might also be able to help with transport. HP is now in the process of moving a pupper from GA to Canada. http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12420

momtomany
11-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Wow Mary, my internet was down yesterday. Posting this story and niw reading that you will give this baby a home.........well I am sitting here crying. I can't wait to hear!!

Medusa
11-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Let me know if you get picked; HP has people in GA, SC, NC, and VA. SCAT (Special Cats Action Team) might also be able to help with transport. HP is now in the process of moving a pupper from GA to Canada. http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12420

Excellent, thank you! Transport was the only thing that concerned me somewhat. Do you have any idea of who ultimately makes the decision in cases such as this?

pomtzu
11-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Mary - I think it would be just wonderful if you could give this sweet baby the loving home that he deserves. :love: What a spunky little fighter.
I'd like to see the ones responsible for this cruelty pay dearly for what they did. Perhaps an eye for an eye? Maybe the PTers would like to line up for a chance to dropkick these creeps a few times!!! :mad::mad:
Yeah - I know - not a very forgiving or Christian like attitude - but...............

Medusa
11-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Mary - I think it would be just wonderful if you could give this sweet baby the loving home that he deserves. :love: What a spunky little fighter.
I'd like to see the ones responsible for this cruelty pay dearly for what they did. Perhaps an eye for an eye? Maybe the PTers would like to line up for a chance to dropkick these creeps a few times!!! :mad::mad:
Yeah - I know - not a very forgiving or Christian like attitude - but...............

I just hope that they don't insist on the new home being in GA but I'll keep my ego out of the way and know that they'll be sure to place him in his perfect permanent home.

As for the criminals who did this unspeakable thing to him, I guess I've become cynical in my old age. It's doubtful that they'll get caught and even if they are, probably nothing will come of it. My first "official" rescue was my RB Peeka. My vet felt that kids tried to skin her alive (there was a lot of this kind of violence towards cats in my area at that time) and they almost managed it, stripping off the fur from her tail except for an end tuft plus they broke her tail. My vet believed that they also tried to cut off her toes because she had a huge gash in between her toes on her left paw which caused nerve damage. Clipping claws for her was so traumatic that I cried every time I had to do it. She sat so cute w/her one paw up but I knew that it was because she was in pain. The people responsible were never caught. That was in '91 and it's disheartening to see that things haven't improved one whit for cats since then but the violence has escalated.

Peeka belonged to my neighbor and was missing for days in subzero temperatures so we feared the worst. My son, husband and I went out for hours day and night looking for her and finally one day my son yelled "Mom, the cat's back!" She was hiding behind our air conditioning unit and when she saw him, she tried to pull herself up and that's when he saw all the blood on her paws and in the snow behind the AC unit. When I called my neighbor to tell her that Peeka was back and that she needed emergency vet care, she said "Hey, she's an outdoor cat. Those things happen". I immediately said "May I keep her?" and she said "If you'll take her brother, too", which, of course, I did. So Peeka and Boo were my first "official" rescues.

Catastrophes always seem to happen on a weekend so I took her to the emergency clinic and they treated her w/antibiotics until I could get her into my vet's the next morning. He took one look at her and said "This tail has got to come off". I was so afraid because if he cut too far, it could cause her to not be able to jump or to use the litter box but the surgery went well. She had a raging infection and he said "Surviving the surgery was the easy part. Now we have to pray that the infection doesn't kill her". This was during the holidays and I called her and Boo my Xmas miracle. Peeka was as cute as a button w/her little stub and she loved getting stub rubs. She became a fat lazy cat who liked to lie in the sun all day and that's exactly the life I was determined to give her.

I've attached a photo of Peeka before and after her tail amputation. Be advised the first photo is graphic. Peekie led a pampered life w/me and the rest of the Fur Posse until she died of acute renal failure at age 14. It was her trauma that made me vow that only seriously ill, injured/abused cats or ones in imminent danger would become part of my Fur Posse.

pomtzu
11-16-2008, 11:52 AM
OMG - poor little Peeka. I just get so infuriated when I see the cruel acts that people inflict on poor innocent creatures of all kinds. I just don't understand - and I suppose I never will - what drives people to do these things. And unfortunately the law does not do enough to protect these critters, or prosecute the offenders if they happen to be caught. It's just like when I hear someone say "It's only a cat" or It's only a dog" - I could just slap them! :mad: It's a living, breathing creature that is capable of all the feelings that their own kids feel. I don't think you'd ever hear anyone say "It's only a kid". :(

blue
11-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Its a pretty sick what kids have been doing over the last 10-20 years to animals. If the kids that did this to Polly dont get caught I hope karma catches up to them repeatedly.

Medusa I hope you get to take Polly into your posse.

Medusa
11-16-2008, 11:57 AM
OMG - poor little Peeka. I just get so infuriated when I see the cruel acts that people inflict on poor innocent creatures of all kinds. I just don't understand - and I suppose I never will - what drives people to do these things. And unfortunately the law does not do enough to protect these critters, or prosecute the offenders if they happen to be caught. It's just like when I hear someone say "It's only a cat" or It's only a dog" - I could just slap them! :mad: It's a living, breathing creature that is capable of all the feelings that their own kids feel. I don't think you'd ever hear anyone say "It's only a kid". :(

Yes, I agree w/you, Ellie. When I first rescued Creamsicle, a CH baby, I was working at a church rectory and one of the priests, a woman, said to me "You should just put her down. It's only a cat; you'd be doing her a favor". I really had to bite my tongue and I said "How so?" She said "Why would you keep her alive like that?" and I said "Because God breathed into her the breath of life just as He did for you, that's why!" One of the other priests there rescued animals, too, and he later pulled me aside and said "I'm saying a special mass for your cat today", so the "it's only a cat" comment was cancelled out.

Medusa
11-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Medusa I hope you get to take Polly into your posse.

Thank you, Blue. I need all the good thoughts, prayers and well wishes that I can get. :)

jazzcat
11-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Oh, what a heartbreaking story. It really hits close to home for me because my little Scout was rescued from the same kind of abuse. They told me at the rescue shelter that someone saw some boys put her in a backpack and were throwing her around like a football, she was only around 7 months old. This person stepped in and got her away from the boys and took her to the shelter. She didn't suffer any major injuries from that but when they spayed her they discovered she was pregnant (of course that was ended) and then she got a hematoma on the spay incision which took weeks to heal. Poor little girl went through a lot.

Good luck Mary!! I hope it works out for you and little Polly. Even if you don't get him I bet he'll get a good home and can finally know what being loved is like.

Kirsten
11-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Thank you, Blue. I need all the good thoughts, prayers and well wishes that I can get. :)

That would be awesome if you could adopt him!! What a happy ending that would be for him! Imagine that sweet little purring machine becoming a PT kitty... :D

Keeping my fingers crossed,
Kirsten

Catty1
11-16-2008, 02:08 PM
kak, you beat me to it - the name and location of the clinic was mentioned on the video I saw!

This little baby loses a leg - and, like the vet says, he is purring and playing and getting around on three legs. :)

Trying to find news on the teenagers...eejits!:mad:

Emeraldgreen
11-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Mary, I hope that Polly will be yours!! What a wonderful life she will have if she joins your family.
That is an amazing story about Peeka and Boo. I had to laugh when I read about her 'stub rubs'. :) I'm sorry she had endure that kind of suffering but all the years she had with you made up for it I'm sure.

phesina
11-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Oh, I so hope you get to take him into your family, Mary!

So many people just make me so sick.

Medusa
11-16-2008, 03:55 PM
kak, you beat me to it - the name and location of the clinic was mentioned on the video I saw!

I can be a bit of a doink sometimes, especially after I take my meds. :confused: I apologize if I inconvenienced anyone. :)

Catty1
11-16-2008, 04:12 PM
YOU and KITTIES? NEVER an inconvenience! :D {{{hugs}}}:love:

Taz_Zoee
11-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Mary, I am so hoping you can get Polly. His little face is just sticking in my mind. Yesterday when I went to the vet to pick up Taz's meds the ladies were bottle feeding two teeny little kittens at the front desk. One of them was grey with a little white mouth and little white toesies. I immediately thought of Polly. I told the girls the story and one of them grasped her chest in disgust.
These kittens were dumped by the door of the vet. They said the lady (who has dumped kittens before) tried to dump them by the ERV but must have almost got caught so they put them by the surgery center door instead. They've even offered to spay this womans cat but she refused!:mad:
I said - at least she dumped them at a vet and not in the middle of no where. I'm sure they will get homes very quickly, they are so adorable. I had to leave quickly because their cuteness was overwhelming. :D

krazyaboutkatz
11-16-2008, 06:06 PM
I can be a bit of a doink sometimes, especially after I take my meds. :confused: I apologize if I inconvenienced anyone. :)
Oh no, I was happy to help.:) The first time that I watched the video I wasn't paying any attention to the name of the clinic or even the location either. I'm still praying that you'll be the chosen one to adopt this little cutie pie.:)

Moesha
11-16-2008, 06:12 PM
I hadn't read this story because of the title of the thread and after reading about Andy I couldn't take anymore sadness. I still haven't watched the video. I saw Emeraldgreen's post in Barney's thread to Medusa about keeping money for Polly Tripod. Now I know what she was talking about. I know you'll let us know if you hear anything back about this little one. I'm sure it will get a great home and have a wonderful life.

Medusa
11-16-2008, 07:11 PM
I know what you mean, Moesha. I can hardly stand to watch videos w/titles such as this one either. But this one is ok. It just shows this sweet little gray kitten who needed to have his front leg amputated. I've been trying not to think about it today, have been obsessively cleaning the house for the last two days so that I sleep well tonight. I hope they'll consider me as his Mom, too. What a little purr machine and after what he's been through, no apprehension w/the vet at all. Animals are such trusting creatures. As soon as I know one way or the other, I'll definitely let everyone know. :)

Moesha
11-16-2008, 07:27 PM
I watched the video. He sure is a cutie!! He's going to grow up to be a fine young man which is more than can be said for the kids that were "playing" with him.

GILL
11-17-2008, 08:49 AM
This is one of the many reasons that I ended up with Dimetri. He was hit by a car. Right now he is healthy, loving, and can go up/down the stairs as fast or faster then the four leggers.
All I have to do is call his name and he starts to purr. He loves to be held on his back like a baby and will purr so loud that I think that the neighbors can hear him, at lest until he falls asleep.

lvpets2002
11-17-2008, 09:52 AM
:love: Such a SweetHeart.. Oh Polly I sure hope Mary Gets to Come for You.. That would be great having you as a new PT Baby.. Mary let us know ok.. Cant wait..:)

Medusa
11-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Polly Pockets has already been adopted. :(:) I'm sad for me but glad for him. I just got off the phone w/the clinic. I think the Universe is trying to tell me something. This is my second attempt to adopt in the last couple of weeks and both attempts have failed, so maybe I need to just cool my jets for a while. I already talked to Dr. Lee about him, too. Funny, he actually cringed when I told him what happened to Polly. This is a man who has seen it all where animal abuse is concerned but I could tell that his story upset him. Anyhow, the little boy has found a good home.

pomtzu
11-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Awww - you would have made the perfect Mom for him, but I'm sure the clinic where he is, thoroughly checked out his new adopting family and that he is going to a wonderful new home.
Just take this as a sign that there is another little critter out there somewhere that needs you more, and that you'll be the chosen Mom when the time is right! :)

Kirsten
11-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Ahh, too bad! Would have been great if you could have adopted him! But I'm glad for little Polly Pocket that he found a home! :)

Kirsten

Medusa
11-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Dr. Lee said "Mary, you have no idea of how many special needs cats that need homes here. I work w/6 rescue organizations." Sigh. I've never asked him about that because I had my hands full w/Puddy and now Pidge. I told him "Dr. Lee, this kitten just touched my heart. I guess actually they all do but he had such a miserable start in life and those are the cases that I like to make a part of my home, not just special needs but the ones that suffered at the hands of cruel people. I want them to know the soft and gentle human touch". He grinned from ear to ear. I could see in that grin "Yeah, I know just who to call next time".

lvpets2002
11-17-2008, 12:44 PM
:love: Oh Mary dont give up.. Now I will admitt the way I ended up with Four Wounderfull CH Babies was thru the 4 diff rescue services that I help with.. All the people around know me & my good loving reputation & contact me.. Now I just know Dr. Lee will do the same for you.. Also go to Pet Finder & put in your zip code & cat option, then go to Advanced & put in cat & special needs option && you will see tons of babies just waiting to be adopted & wanting to come into your Loving Heart & Home..

pomtzu
11-17-2008, 12:45 PM
"Yeah, I know just who to call next time".

:D:D:D:D:D:
Hmmmmmm..........anyone wanna place bets on how long that will take???

Medusa
11-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Hmmmmmm..........anyone wanna place bets on how long that will take???

LOL Actually, I hadn't intended to adopt any more but you know how that is. I don't want to actively pursue adoption, however, if one comes my way that keeps me up at night, then I'll know it's right.

Reachoutrescue
11-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Yes, I agree w/you, Ellie. When I first rescued Creamsicle, a CH baby, I was working at a church rectory and one of the priests, a woman, said to me "You should just put her down. It's only a cat; you'd be doing her a favor". I really had to bite my tongue and I said "How so?" She said "Why would you keep her alive like that?" and I said "Because God breathed into her the breath of life just as He did for you, that's why!" One of the other priests there rescued animals, too, and he later pulled me aside and said "I'm saying a special mass for your cat today", so the "it's only a cat" comment was cancelled out.

How horrible that a "priest" would say that....that kitten is one of God's creatures and if God did not want her on earth, then God would have taken her instead of letting her remain on earth. I am sorry you are not able to get Polly...I hope somebody great adopted her. I know she would have flurished in your care!!!