PDA

View Full Version : Treat bags at kids' birthday parties

JenBKR
11-14-2008, 11:16 AM
OK, those of you with kids - did you guys make treat bags for the other kids coming to you child's birthday party? We had decided to do little treat bags for kids 10 and under for Ty's party. Somewhere along the way it spun out of control. Shawn has a large family, with a lot of kids, and we invited a few friends with young kids, so I am doing 18 treat bags now. Last night we spend $60 on party items, the majority on treat bags items! :eek: And that wasn't all, we have bought other items for the bags in the last couple of weeks. Is it just that easy to get out of control? Or are we just out of our minds? :p

caseysmom
11-14-2008, 11:20 AM
OK, those of you with kids - did you guys make treat bags for the other kids coming to you child's birthday party? We had decided to do little treat bags for kids 10 and under for Ty's party. Somewhere along the way it spun out of control. Shawn has a large family, with a lot of kids, and we invited a few friends with young kids, so I am doing 18 treat bags now. Last night we spend $60 on party items, the majority on treat bags items! :eek: And that wasn't all, we have bought other items for the bags in the last couple of weeks. Is it just that easy to get out of control? Or are we just out of our minds? :p

I did that when the kids were younger also, they expect those at birthdays, on top of that the birthday party was somewhere expensive to boot. This year my daughters sweet 16 costs about 350.00 to take 10 of us to a nice restaurant. Not too bad considering the cost of some sweet 16's I guess. I think the whole thing is kind of silly but yes we got sucked up into it:D

Cookiebaker
11-14-2008, 11:39 AM
I cannot believe you are already talking about Ty's first birthday! YIKES!! where does the time go???

Yea, I know whatcha mean about goody bags. Have you seen the Oriental Trading company catalogue? They have a lot of gift bag goodies that you can buy "in bulk" -- like units of 12 or 24.

JenBKR
11-14-2008, 12:08 PM
I did that when the kids were younger also, they expect those at birthdays, on top of that the birthday party was somewhere expensive to boot. This year my daughters sweet 16 costs about 350.00 to take 10 of us to a nice restaurant. Not too bad considering the cost of some sweet 16's I guess. I think the whole thing is kind of silly but yes we got sucked up into it:D

Good to know that I am not the only one! Yes, they can certainly get expensive quick. $350's not too bad for a sweet sixteen, they can really get out of hand. I bet it's hard to believe she's 16 already too! :eek:

I cannot believe you are already talking about Ty's first birthday! YIKES!! where does the time go???

Yea, I know whatcha mean about goody bags. Have you seen the Oriental Trading company catalogue? They have a lot of gift bag goodies that you can buy "in bulk" -- like units of 12 or 24.

I know - I can't believe it's been a year. I think I'm still in shock ;) I have seen Oriental trading before, but I didn't even think of looking there. I will have to remember that for next time! :)

caseysmom
11-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Good to know that I am not the only one! Yes, they can certainly get expensive quick. $350's not too bad for a sweet sixteen, they can really get out of hand. I bet it's hard to believe she's 16 already too! :eek:

I know - I can't believe it's been a year. I think I'm still in shock ;) I have seen Oriental trading before, but I didn't even think of looking there. I will have to remember that for next time! :)

Yeah the driving thing is a big change, she got her license and does all her own driving now, its actually pretty nice except when it rains I worry. It goes by quick, enjoy your sweet little baby.

lvpets2002
11-14-2008, 12:20 PM
:love: Hey I just have 4 legged babies.. But can I say I would like a Treat Bag Please..:D

JenBKR
11-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Yeah the driving thing is a big change, she got her license and does all her own driving now, its actually pretty nice except when it rains I worry. It goes by quick, enjoy your sweet little baby.

Driving :eek: I bet that is quite a change. Not all bad, but...it all happens so fast!

JenBKR
11-14-2008, 12:22 PM
:love: Hey I just have 4 legged babies.. But can I say I would like a Treat Bag Please..:D

haha of course, but you have to come to the party tomorrow! :D

lvpets2002
11-14-2008, 12:26 PM
haha of course, but you have to come to the party tomorrow! :D

:eek: Tomorrow = well thats going to be some fast driving.. I will see if any of the kitties have motored wings..:p

Husky_mom
11-14-2008, 12:30 PM
18 kids?.... LOL....I have to make treat bags for 30+... LOL....

sorry...

I usually spent like 20-30 dlls in candy... then the bags I either make them from scratch or buy cellophane bags (very cheap by the 100 in candy stores) add china paper and use a sharpie to draw something on it... this year I drawed a spider and used red/blue china (spiderman theme)

I also made the cupcakes (cake)... used white cake mix and add vegatable paint to make it whatever color you want....

or you can get those treat bags they seel at party shops.... but donīt stuff them too much...parents (at least me) donīt let their children eat that much candy and some gets trown away...

what i do after a party is put all candy on the table.. choose which ones are for my kid, which for hubby and which for me... if there are still enough I give some to my parents.... so if you want to save a few buck donīt get too much candy, just enough for ONE kid... not his whole family... itīs a treat not a feast

I knoe this year is just around the corner... but if you need next year i can help you out make some ;)

JenBKR
11-14-2008, 12:37 PM
:eek: Tomorrow = well thats going to be some fast driving.. I will see if any of the kitties have motored wings..:p

:D Now THAT I would like to see ;)

18 kids?.... LOL....I have to make treat bags for 30+... LOL....

sorry...

I usually spent like 20-30 dlls in candy... then the bags I either make them from scratch or buy cellophane bags (very cheap by the 100 in candy stores) add china paper and use a sharpie to draw something on it... this year I drawed a spider and used red/blue china (spiderman theme)

I also made the cupcakes (cake)... used white cake mix and add vegatable paint to make it whatever color you want....

or you can get those treat bags they seel at party shops.... but donīt stuff them too much...parents (at least me) donīt let their children eat that much candy and some gets trown away...

what i do after a party is put all candy on the table.. choose which ones are for my kid, which for hubby and which for me... if there are still enough I give some to my parents.... so if you want to save a few buck donīt get too much candy, just enough for ONE kid... not his whole family... itīs a treat not a feast

I knoe this year is just around the corner... but if you need next year i can help you out make some ;)

30+ treat bags???? WOW - ok I won't complain about 18 then ;) I did use paper lunch bags and printed out mickey mouse images on the computer and glued them on, so that part was cheap. I didn't use candy though, and that probably would have been a cheaper option. I did stuff like play-dough, bubbles, lettar & number magnets, etc. Thank you for the offer, I just might take you up on that next year! (Next year...when Ty is two...:eek: :eek: can't even THINK about that! :D) Thanks!!

Husky_mom
11-14-2008, 12:53 PM
I besides the candy added a magic marker for girls and a hot wheels car for the boys... but that was it...

but all toys as you did... sure does add up... and Iīll be waiting to help you out... really Iīd love to help... I like doing this stuff... hehe ;)

JenBKR
11-14-2008, 08:25 PM
I besides the candy added a magic marker for girls and a hot wheels car for the boys... but that was it...

but all toys as you did... sure does add up... and Iīll be waiting to help you out... really Iīd love to help... I like doing this stuff... hehe ;)

You're awesome :D Don't worry, I will let you know next year. Thank you!!

mina'smomma
11-14-2008, 09:24 PM
See as we're planning for about forty people at Cadi's party I'm only making like 8 loot bags, and I found things like activity books with crayons and bubbles in them. I may throw a few pieces of left over candy in it too. The age limit for us this year is 8

carole
11-15-2008, 02:17 AM
Yes i always made up treat bags for my daughters birthday parties, i would usually put in a balloon, some sweets, some stickers and a bangle or two,or little ring, i tried to keep the expense down as our budget was limited, but yes one can get carried away,especially as you think you have finished the treat bag, and then you see something and think oh that would be just great in the bag.

And we always played pass the parcel too, we used to make sure every child got a lollipop and then a small gift for the main winner at the end,seemed to work out quite well.

Cataholic
11-15-2008, 05:11 PM
I did treat bags for Jonah's party...I think 14 or 15, and kept it pretty inexpensive. It was a pirate theme, and I found some gold chocolate coins, some tatoos, some candy, and some pirate noise maker thingys. It is nice to have a favour bag. I do agree with Husky mom...too much candy is just not a great idea. A piece or two or three is really more than enough.