PDA

View Full Version : Taggart has kennel cough

Taz_Zoee
11-13-2008, 04:42 PM
I knew he was exposed. And I'm a bad mommy by not keeping him separate from Zoee. So now she'll probably get it too. :(
Well, I guess I should have said I think he has kennel cough. While I've never had a dog with it, I'm pretty sure he does. He was coughing last night and it was a gagging cough. I read that's what they do. And I noticed his nose sounded a bit stuffy, like he has mucus in it. I know this because he slept right between Bruce and I all night long!! Silly boy.

Bruce has him at the vet right now, so I'll update as soon as I hear back. One good thing is the shelter, ARF, that we got him from has a relationship with a certain vet and care is covered for two weeks after adoption. So hopefully we'll get meds and get him healthy again.

I'm so curious as to what he background was. He seems to be so comfortable in a house environment. He jumps up on the bed and just makes himself comfy, like he's done it forever. :)

Husky_mom
11-13-2008, 04:49 PM
our best thoughts for him too...

hopefully heŽll get back to normal in no time..

good thing heŽs covered for two weeks...bad thing you have to use that coverage...

ramanth
11-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Poor guy! Hope he feels better soon!

Taz_Zoee
11-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Well, I wish I would have gone to the vet with him. Bruce said they didn't really say if it was kennel cough or not. But they gave him antibiotics.
When they got to the vet they (Bruce and the vet tech) noticed Taggart had a bloody nose in one nostril. The doctor said it could be a foxtail (which I don't think it is) or from his sneezing.
Bruce didn't really like the vet. He said she was just very "dry". She wanted to do a stool sample and all these other things. I'm calling that vet and our regular vet to see the price difference. And it's a $6 difference. I think for $6 I'd rather take it to our regular vet since we like them. LOL I'll discuss with Bruce tonight.
But anyway, that's the update. So now I just wait and hope Zoee doesn't come down with a cough. :)

CathyBogart
11-13-2008, 06:04 PM
When Jasper had kennel cough I gave him vitamin C and echinacea tea...the vet I worked fore didn't give antibiotics (its a viral infection) unless the pup was so sick she was worried about a secondary bacterial infection.

Here's hoping for a quick recovery! (and Zoee not getting it!)

Lilith Cherry
11-13-2008, 06:52 PM
I really hope he feels better soon - poor Taggart! And of course that Zoee doesn't get it too.

Alysser
11-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Poor pup! I hope he feels a little better now, and I hope Zoee doesn't get it! Get well soon, Taggart.

Taz_Zoee
11-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks everyone. :D
I think he still has a fever tonight. I hope that goes away soon. He is still a happy boy, but he's kinda mopey. Then again, he is a calm puppers so far. So I'm not sure LOL. His nose doesn't seem to be bloody anymore, which is a very good thing.
I figure the antibiotics will knock out the fever and whatever may be the problem with the blood in the nose.

caseysmom
11-13-2008, 10:57 PM
Poor Taggart, I hope he gets better soon and I hope Zoe doesn't get it. You can get a vaccine for it now, she may have been vaccinated at one of her visits.

Taz_Zoee
11-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Poor Taggart, I hope he gets better soon and I hope Zoe doesn't get it. You can get a vaccine for it now, she may have been vaccinated at one of her visits.

That's the Bordatella (sp?) isn't it? She has only had one of those and it was back in 2006. But trust me, after this they will both keep current on that vaccine.

Giselle
11-13-2008, 11:48 PM
Which vet did you go to Cindy? Especially for your area, I HIGHLY recommend Ygnacio Animal Hospital.

I took Ivy to them a while ago, and I was A M A Z E D. I don't know whether it was because I was paying the big bucks or what, but Dr. Ervin was SO open, so caring, so passionate. Ivy is scared of the vet so Ervin, literally, spent 10-15 minutes just sitting on the floor, feeding Ivy treats to regain whatever trust past experiences had stolen from her. She *clearly* cared more about Ivy's emotional well-being than making a quick buck. I was completely astounded. I've never had such an intimate, thorough vet visit before. After searching for so long, I completely and utterly ADORE Ygnacio Animal Hospital.

I hope it's not a foxtail up in Taggart's schnoz! Those things HURT!! Here's hoping for a speedy, eventless recovery :D

lute
11-13-2008, 11:50 PM
Poor guy. I ope he's all healthy soon!

Chloe and Beanie both got Kennel cough earlier this year. They got it from Zoom, my Aussie rescue. He brought it from the kennel. Gracie and Talon never got it. I didn't think Chloe was ever going to get over it. After that all my dogs are being vaccinated every other year.( I'm very against over vaccinating.)

Daphne also had kennel cough when we first got her. She was from the same shelter as Zoom. I didn't take Daphne to the vet for her kennel cough. All I did was give her homey to sooth her throught and she was over it in half the time Chloe was when she was taking antibiotics. I'm not telling you to not take him to the vet. The blood worries me and I think your regular vet needs to check him out.

Taz_Zoee
11-14-2008, 12:03 AM
Sophie, I took him to the vet that works with ARF, it's called VCA Monte Vista Animal Hospital. My regular vet is Adobe Animal Hospital. We actually used to go to Ygnacio when I first moved here. But it's way across town and is very expensive. A couple of our neighbors used Adobe so I went there. They are cheaper, right around the corner from my house and all the staff is very nice. One of the receptionists recognizes my voice when I call. LOL:D Sometimes (actually only once with Taz's recent issue) I don't like my vets attitude, but I know she cares about the animals.

We're pretty sure it's not a foxtail. He'd be sneezing and fussing with his nose more. I don't think he's even sneezed since I've been home tonight. He did have a little coughing fit earlier, but he's quiet now.

Lute, well I hope my Zoee is as lucky as your darling Gracie and Talon were.

Giselle
11-14-2008, 12:42 AM
Haha, they are expensive. Like I said, I don't know whether it was because I was paying the big bucks or what, but they definitely left a very positive, lasting impression :p

VCA's are good. I use them for stuff like dentals and fecals. For vac's and microchips and heartworm, etc., I use VIP low-cost vaccination clinics. I know they have a lot out in Concord/Walnut Creek. Bordetella is $12, but I don't know if Zoee would need a booster after only 2 years. Again, hope Taggart feels better!! I need to meet this guy!!

caseysmom
11-14-2008, 09:31 AM
That's the Bordatella (sp?) isn't it? She has only had one of those and it was back in 2006. But trust me, after this they will both keep current on that vaccine.

Yes thats it, I am not positive about the spelling either. All mine are on Banfield's insurance and they give them all the vaccines which I guess is okay since we camp and go to dog parks.

Lori Jordan
11-14-2008, 10:22 AM
I'm sorry to hear that,I myself have been through the Kennel Cough almost every year since i have lived here,The problem is there is alot of dogs that just run loose around here.It is so contagious all it takes is for a dog to smell anothers urine that is affected by it.Now i just have the vet give them the injection.Its really sad just because it is a small town there is still roads and people still speed through town..I dont know why so many people let there dogs wander.

Best of Luck thankfully you caught it,I have heard that Kennel Cough untreated is not a nice thing.

Ginger's Mom
11-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Aww, poor Taggart, new home and he is up coughing all night. I hope the medicine works well, and that Zoe doesn't catch it. How is he feeling today?

Taz_Zoee
11-14-2008, 01:03 PM
I didn't hear him cough too much last night and he'd only had one medicine treatment. He still felt hot last night like he still had a fever.
I'm not sure how he is today, I didn't ask Bruce when I called him to tell him he could go pick up Taz. My mind was on Taz ATM. :p
He still acts in good spirits, as much as I can tell. He's a goofball, that's for sure. :D

buddy.09
11-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Poor Taggart.

Buddy had kennel cough when we first adopted him. We took him to the vet and they gave him medicine and after a couple days it went away.

I hope Taggart feels better. And Zoe doesn't catch it.

Glacier
11-15-2008, 03:31 PM
I hope he's feeling better soon.

My vet doesn't treat kennel cough unless the dog shows signs of secondary infection. Just plain ol' cough syrup and time! KC went through the pack here a few years ago. Took two months to get through everyone and go away! One group would stop coughing, another would start!

Taz_Zoee
11-15-2008, 03:58 PM
I hope he's feeling better soon.

My vet doesn't treat kennel cough unless the dog shows signs of secondary infection. Just plain ol' cough syrup and time! KC went through the pack here a few years ago. Took two months to get through everyone and go away! One group would stop coughing, another would start!

Does it just keep going around and around? I mean would a dog that had it first get it again toward the end?
Well, Taggart has meds and if Zoee gets it I'll probably get her meds too. Since this is my first time with this it would make me feel better. Now, if I had 26 of them......yeah, cough syrup would be a better choice. :p

chocolatepuppy
11-15-2008, 04:12 PM
I hope Taggart's feeling better soon.

Glacier
11-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Does it just keep going around and around? I mean would a dog that had it first get it again toward the end?

No, once they have had that particular strain they are immune to it. The only two who never coughed at all had both had KC in their previous homes. It's extremely common in mushing kennels, especially those that travel to races. Anywhere where there are 100's of dogs in the same spot, a kennel cough outbreak is likely.

Since the distance racing kennel in my area moved his dogs, we've never had it again. I don't even vaccinate for it. There are many many different strains and the vaccine only catches a few.

Taz_Zoee
11-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Well that's good to know. But I should probably get them vaccinated for it anyway, just to be safe. With only two it won't be too hard on my pocket book. :p
His coughing has really gone down to almost gone. Ocassionally he will have a small fit. Oh, and he snores!!! So all the males in this house snore! :D :D

Ginger's Mom
11-16-2008, 07:07 AM
His coughing has really gone down to almost gone. Ocassionally he will have a small fit. Oh, and he snores!!! So all the males in this house snore! :D :D

Hahaha, I think he just wants to fit in with the boys. :D I am glad to hear that his coughing has gotten better, now he can really enjoy his great new home. :)

Casper
11-16-2008, 08:19 AM
I'm sorry I didn't see this until now, but I am glad to hear Taggart's cough is getting better. :) I will go ahead and send out some healing vibes for the cute little guy; I hope he is back to 100% soon!