PDA

View Full Version : Housebreaking Question

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
11-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Should they be peeing so often?

It seems like I let them out, then ten minutes later, Bear is peeing on the floor. They're outside for a good 5-10 minutes at a time when they go out, and we try to take them out every half hour, every hour at the most. And nine times out of ten, it's Bear peeing on the floor.

I'm not saying my dog is God, she's had an accident a few times here and there, and she's peed on her bed a few times. They both pee quite frequently, but Bear is just getting out of hand.

Like tonight, we let them out, and not ten minutes later, Bear was peeing on the floor. I scruffed her, scolded her and took them outside. They were outside for 5 minutes or so, Bear peed again, I brought them back in, and ten minutes later, Bear was pooping in the kitchen. Grabbed her, told her no, and took her outside. She peed again, finished pooping and I let them back in.

Am I not leaving them outside long enough? Or do you think they have bladder infections? I'm pushing more for bladder infection, because we've had puppies before and I never remember them going THIS much. Kate refuses to believe me, she thinks her dog's an angel and that vets only make you come there to get your money. I said, "Fine, don't take her, but Syd is going in next week and I suggest you do the same."

I'm so frustrated. Kate is never home to take care of the dogs, I've been home with them the whole time, minus going to school and work. She comes home for a bit, never lets them out (always makes someone else do it) and then leaves to go shopping, or leaves to hang out with Chris or go get dinner.

I'm sorry, but she's not ready for a puppy. She thinks she knows everything, and I'm not saying I DO, but I'm around dogs MUCH more than she is, granted I'm not a vet, but I'm a groomer. People bring their dogs in all the time and sit and talk with us about health problems or anything else pertaining to their dog. I've learned a lot from working at PetCo, but she takes NOTHING I say to heart.

[/vent]

Sorry. I've been fed up with her for a little while, I didn't mean to take it out on this thread. :( Thank God she's moving out in a couple weeks.

4 Dog Mother
11-13-2008, 09:08 AM
It's okay to vent here so relax about that. As far as the peeing, puppies do pee a lot - They say you should take them out after a nap, after a play period, after eating. Puppies can just be a lot of work. However, how available is water to them? While you want to keep them hydrated, you may also want to not have water so available that they can keep needing to pee so often. I can't remember if you said you are using crates. Crating them can also help because of course, they will not want to be where they urinate or poop unless of course, it has been too long for them. Also when you take them out, are you paying attention to what they are doing? Tucker used to go out to play and then come in to pee and poop. You may have to take them separately and believe it or not convince them to go potty on command - obviously they can't always poop when you want them too but most dogs can pee whenever they are out. Then praise them ALOT. Every time you catch them peeing or pooping outside praise them. Tucker still looks to see if I am watching and seems to be waiting for the praise as silly as that sounds.

Good luck with ending up training both pups! as your cousin doesn't seem too interested. Poor Bear!

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
11-13-2008, 12:04 PM
It's just frustrating. And I care about both pups so much, I'm not just going to abandon Bear.

Yes, they get crated at night, and for a few hours during the day. They've never had and accident in the crate. And so far, they are doing really well in the crate. Like today, I woke up early to exercise them a bit and then I wanted to talk a nap (selfish, I know...) so once they were tired out, I kenneled them, finished some homework that needed to be done and then I took a nap. They whined a little cuz they could hear me for a while, but eventually they too passed out. As long as their kennel is covered and they can't see us, we can be in the livingroom talking, watching tv, etc. and they will eventually (usually no more than 5 mins) fall asleep. I'm very grateful for that!

I'll try taking them out separately. Don't know why I didn't think of that. They're going to need to get used to being separated eventually, lol.

Thank you for all the advice!

(PS... we're almost out of potty treats! :eek: )

Craftlady
11-13-2008, 03:43 PM
I tell Coco "find your spot, let's go pee pee" and he 9x out of 10 he will pee. :) Other 10th time he looks at me as to say "not peeing" but after a few minutes of walking around the driveway/yard he pees :)

I've been doing this since day 1 and he is 7 1/2 months old, no more accidents in the house. 9x out of 10 the accidents were because I wasnt paying attention. Coco was trying to tell me he had to poop. Now I watch his backside and I can tell when it's time to go outside :)

Coco's training has been going outside after meals, sleep/naps in crate if it's been more than 2 hrs, last call (yeah right lol) between 10:30 and 11 p.m. He usually is up around 4 a.m. when hubby is up getting ready for work.

I tell Coco when to go and here lately, he is out of crate all day except when I'm gone and he is telling me allot of times he has to go.

Stay with a steady routine and it will all be fine.