PDA

View Full Version : Portuguese Water Dogs?

MuttMomXOXO
11-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi!

Does anyone have any information about Portugese Water Dogs? My Mother is thinking about getting one but I don't know much about the breed. I've only seen pictures. If anyone has one or knows about them... please let me know!

Karen
11-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Big, boucy, black, curly and enthusiastic, they are water-loving dogs. Why is she considering a Portie? They are bulkier than a Standard poodle, and have squarer heads - several have been Dog of the Day!

Search results here (http://petoftheday.com/search/search.cgi?q=Portuguese+Water+Dog&sk=Any&mr=25&pr=ON)

Flatcoatluver
11-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Let's see my boss owns and used to breed them, and so all the breeders and owners in my area come to take the dogs to my kennel I work at. At our kennel we get atleast a PWD once a week, right now we have two porties in.

From my expeirence. They bark/scream constantly, now I mostly find that with owners who have spoiled there portie like crazy and have not set the rules firmly. But then again, a lot of really well trained porties bark a lot.

When they are not kenneled and just running around in the field. They are great, they make you laugh and smile. They are bouncy, playful, and will do anything for a cookie.

Grooming is a big thing for this breed since they will have to be cut for there whole life. Almost every single portie that comes into are kennel makes a HUGE deal out of grooming. They must start really young going to a groomer, and the owner should contunue grooming the dog throughout the week.

They are A LOT of fun, but they will need a lot of training as well, because they tend to be very silly and stubborn.

IRescue452
11-16-2008, 10:29 PM
I've had quite a bit of experience with them as well, water dog breeds are quite popular here. They can be barkers but also seem to have quite a few dominance issues if not trained well. That being said I've met many many great dogs and they seem to be quite long-lasting if you take good care of their health. I also ask why she's considering one and if it is by looks alone. How much experience has she with dogs?

Taz_Zoee
11-17-2008, 09:36 AM
My supervisor has one, he is brown. While I do not know specifics of the breed, I know she hasn't told me any horror stories about him.
I do know she recently took him to JC Penney to get his picture taken with her two daughters. The picture came out so adorable. :D

MuttMomXOXO
11-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the info. They are absolutely beautiful dogs. My mother is considering getting one for herself because her dog past away a several months ago :( and she has always had dogs and is ready to move on to a new dog to love. :D However, she has really bad allergies and has always had to have dogs that don't shed or shed very little. Her previous dog was a standard poodle who was the love of her life. She wanted to get another poodle but is afraid it will remind her to much of her old poodle. While searching for other breeds similar to standard poodles she came across the PWD. I have heard of them before but have never seen one or new anyone who has one. My mother is very active and needs a dog that will be able to keep up with her, so an active dog is a good thing. Does anyone have any additional information? Thanks again for your comments! :p If anyone can recommend a reputable PWD breeder, that would be great.

ldbug48
12-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Hi!

Does anyone have any information about Portugese Water Dogs? My Mother is thinking about getting one but I don't know much about the breed. I've only seen pictures. If anyone has one or knows about them... please let me know!

My aunt had a portugese water dog, they almost look like a standard poodle but with a fan tail. Misty had a black curly coat and the good thing about these dog is if you have allergies you don't have to worry they don't have that gander so anyone with allergies would find this dog a God send. They are very kind and trusting temperment is wonderful !!!!. They do like one on one attention though,but are friendly. they must be groom because the hair tend to get matted. Misty was a jumper this dog could almost reach the ceiling lol......Misty is no longer with us ,she was put down about two weeks ago she had a stroke, but my aunt had her for 15 yrs and enjoyed every single. They arealso very good when they are left alone they do not do any damage. They are filled with lots of love. The price my aunt paid for her was around eight hundred dollars. I would recomend this dog.