PDA

View Full Version : Helping people...

DJFyrewolf36
11-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Today we went for our weekly grocery run. Outside of the store there was a booth set up taking donations for the local VFW chapter. It really made me sad to see people just walk by and give disgusted looks at the poor guy running the booth. I felt bad because I didn't think I had any money on me but I really wanted to donate. I stuck my hand in my pocket and found that I had 40 cents...4 dimes...that I had forgotten about. I went to the booth and told the guy that I felt awful that I didn't have any more to give. He said that every little bit helps and thanked me for even stopping and saying hello. He gave me a "Buddy" Poppy (if you don't know the history of the Buddy poppy check out this link (http://www.vfw.org/index.cfm?fa=cmty.levelc&cid=127) ) and thanked me again for helping out. I know I will be wearing my poppy tomorrow (and every day) proudly, remembering those who made sacrifices to make our lives better.

Leaving the store, John noticed a woman who looked in really sorry shape holding a sign on the street corner. She looked obviously hungry, so me and John stopped to give her some food. Turns out she was on a cross country trip with her husband when they ran into car trouble out here. Long story short they are stuck here, knowing no one and the car (their only shelter) got impounded because it wasn't able to be moved and the cops took her husband to jail for vegrancy on top of it all (A story I tend to believe as I've seen the police around here hassle a LOT of people just trying to get warm). They didn't know about any help services because no one bothered to stop and even inform them. The poor lady had been sitting outside for a couple of days, just trying to make sure her dog could eat, going without food to make sure her pup was ok. I know most people have this stereotype in their heads about people bumming money and going and buying booze or drugs but this poor woman genuinely needed help. We gave her food and a couple of sodas and she broke down in tears, thanking us so much because we were the first people to stop all day. I know the signs of low blood sugar and malnutrtion (and the difference between that and being strung out on drugs) and she really looked bad :(. Her pup looked ok though thankfully. I watched her sit down and before she even took a bite she gave some food to her dog. My financial situation isn't the greatest in the world but I sure as hell am thankful for what I do have. I think through all the economic hard times, people really need to focus on that instead of complaining about the things they have give up. It could be any one of us stuck on the street corner wondering how our pet is going to eat. I watched people yell at this woman and call her all sorts of things and I had to wonder what exactly THEY would do if the roles were reversed.

I am glad I made a difference in peoples lives today, not because of some sense of self satisfaction and worth but because it was the right damn thing to do. I wish more people felt that way.

sumbirdy
11-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Sometimes I wish I was a millionaire. Not so I can have everything I want, but so I can help others. I enjoy giving money to those who needed, but often times I don't have much, or I have none at all. This reminds me of a story my mother tells me all the time (and that I remember vaguely). It happened when I was about 6 or 7. We were living in a neighborhood that wasn't very friendly towards others. One day this couple and their child (he couldn't have been more than 3 or 4) came and were walking from door to door telling the residents they had nothing to eat and would they please find it in their hearts to give a little something, even if it's only to their child. My mother watched from her door as each person slammed the door in their faces, yelled at them to get off their porch, said they had nothing to give (as they stuffed their face with a sandwich) ect, ect... When they got to our door, mom was ready for them. She gave them 2 loaves of bread, several can goods (and a can opener) bottled water, some non perishable snacks for their little boy, cookies and several other items, things she had no money to replace. You should have seen the smiles on their faces! That's one part I remember well. We were the last house there was, and the only ones that gave. They were so happy. Our neighbors were shocked and my mom was ridiculed, but it didn't phase her. It was the right thing to do. I often wonder what happened to them. If more people were like my mother, and you, this world would be so much better. It saddens me when people who are fully able to help, don't. :confused: To me it just doesn't make sense, and I'm thankful for people like you.

Karen
11-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Thank you for being a reason for people to believe that we care. Sometimes I think people get so wrapped up in their own little world they don't see the people in need around them. We may not all be millionaires, but sometimes a gesture and some understanding mean more than money ever would.

ramanth
11-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Bless you.

IRescue452
11-10-2008, 11:17 PM
I have a million of those poppies stuck in various places in my car. I go to a dentist right across the street from the local veterans chapter and sometimes when I get there early (as I have to be there at 8 for emergency appointments because I have no insurance) I get to watch as they put up all 20 or so of their flags. I always wonder what goes through their heads as they put up the flags of a country that has left them destitute.

DJFyrewolf36
11-10-2008, 11:51 PM
I always wonder what goes through their heads as they put up the flags of a country that has left them destitute.

I wonder that too. :(

If anything, the events of today has made me think about the current social climate and that the only way things are going to change is one person at a time. I, for one, want to be an agent of change not just another voice of complaint in the crowd.

I'm going to find out more ways I can help those in need in my community. Even though I am moving back to Nevada soon (Looooong story lol) I can make a difference here and when I do go to Reno I can make a difference there as well.

shepgirl
11-11-2008, 12:02 PM
I have a collection of poppies also since no matter what mall you go to they have their members there and I refuse to walk past and not donate. The Christams kettles will be out in a few weeks and we always make sure we have money to put in no matter how many we see in one shopping trip. We slo donate through our telethons.

mina'smomma
11-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Bless you so much. You and your husband I'm sure were like an angel to that woman. Whenever I see veterans setting outside to collect for the poppys or forgetmenots I'm always throwing in whatever money I have on me minus what I need for the groceries and gas. They fought hard for our country and I've never forgotten them. Even as I move on to a new job they will still be a big part of my life. I'm so glad that I will be able to bring Cadience to show the same appreciation. GOD BLESS THE VETERANS!

Hellow
11-11-2008, 03:26 PM
The social nature of our country is terrible, at best, right now, and this is proof. I, for one, always donate to these things, as do my parents (me and my parents always try to be the best people we can be to others and kind to ourselves) even though we many not have much money at all. If I grow up and become rich, I am going to try to help as many people as I can, especially around this time of year when it is the most needed. Being hot and outside w/o food is far > being cold, outside, and w/o food, especially if you have anything depending on you like a kid or a pet. I believe that you did a wonderful thing, and showed all those snotty brats that always walk past these things without regard for it that you can still give without giving much, for giving is giving and giving as much as you can is the best of all.