PDA

View Full Version : Waiting and worrying

Glacier
11-10-2008, 02:28 PM
It's a waiting and worrying day here.....

Yesterday I put my husband on a plane. he should be under the knife in Vancouver right now. He's having his shoulder reconstructed. I'm feeling more than a little guilty that I couldn't go with him, but there is just no one to take of the dogs for a few days. He does have a friend who lives down there staying with him until Wedneday morning when he flies home. Stuart has an amazing tolerance for pain, but not for inactivity. He has to keep the shoulder immobile for six weeks! It's not going to be fun for either of us! But this is the a last shot surgery....the only other option if this fails is a shoulder joint replacement and at 41 he's way too young for that!

Yesterday morning, Heyoka screeched when got up. His left hind leg was hurting. At first I thought he had a cramp since he'd been sleeping in the same spot for several hours, but he yelped a few more times during the day. Last night I made him sleep in the house. Heyoka is always welcome in the house, but he usually overheats in a hurry and wants back out. Today I had to coax him outside 12 hours later. He had a heck of a time getting up. So I called the vet. Fortunately, they had a drop off appointment opening today. Heyoka rarely shows any pain. The only other time I've heard him yelp was when he sampled a porcupine! I use my truck when I'm taking dogs somewhere. I try to limit the fur in my mini-van. Heyoka loves truck rides. In his world, they almost always mean we are going somewhere fun. He wanted to jump in, but couldn't. When I lifted him, he screamed and screamed and screamed. I've never heard anything like that sound before. I never want to hear it again! He fought getting in the van, but it's much lower so we managed. Heyoka weighs well over 100 pounds so lifting him is tricky when he cooperates; it's almost impossible when he fights me! It took two of us to get him on the scale at the clinic. Please don't let it be his knee!

Stuart said he would call once he gets back to the hotel. The vet said I could call after 2 to check on Heyoka if they haven't called me first. Waiting and worrying......

Catty1
11-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Oh no...severe pain in the loved ones. :( I hope both are okay.

Maybe Stuart can stay quiet(er) helping nurse Heyoka back to health. They can both take slow walks...

PT Prayers flying out!

Cinder & Smoke
11-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Hi God ~

Sorrie bout all these *short notice* requests tuday ... but here's two more!

Tehya's Dad - and Glacier's Hubby - Mr. Stuart - needs a Jir Jury Assist *rite now* ...
Hope You kan find him - he's an airplane flite away frumma Husky Ranch.
Whilst You're onna way - look up "shoulder fixes' inna Big Book.

Aftur You get Stuart under control, his Heart Dawg - Heyoka - is havin a lottta pain
and is inna White Coat Lab rite now.
Sure kuld use some God's Help wiff gettin him fixed up, too.

And kan Ya spare a few {{{God'sHugs}}} fur Miz Glacier?
She's havin a purty *ruff* day wiff boff of her Guys inna hoppsbittle.

THANKS, God!

/s/ the Prayer Pups

Queen of Poop
11-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Here's hoping they can be both fixed up nicely and spend the time recooping together.

DJFyrewolf36
11-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Prayers on the way!

Glacier
11-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Dr. Jessica just called about Heyoka. He got a little testy when they tried to examine his leg. Given his size and natural malamute stubbornness, they are going to sedate him. That way they should be able to get a better idea of what's going on in his leg. She is concerned about his cruciate ligament, but if it was a total disruption, he shouldn't be weightbearing.

Karen
11-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Still sending prayers!

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Sending lots of get well wishes!!

ramanth
11-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Lots of prayers and healing vibes for Stuart and Heyoka!! :love:

jennielynn1970
11-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Yikes, two loved ones with the white coats! Hope that hubby's shoulder surgery will go well, and that whatever is wrong with Heyoka will be an easy fix!

Husky_mom
11-10-2008, 04:25 PM
keeping them both on our thoughts....

may all go smoothly on both...

joycenalex
11-10-2008, 05:44 PM
oh wow, prayers for stuart and prayers for heyoka and both their white coats

Medusa
11-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Oh my, two of your loved ones in pain at once. How trying for you! A friend's dog once let out those same type of screams and it turned out to be spondylosis. She was treated w/meds for pain and inflammation and did just fine, so hopefully Hekoya's ailment will be something that's just as treatable. Prayers are going up right now for hubby and Hekoya and for you, too. Keep the faythe. :love:

Glacier
11-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Stuart called a few minutes ago. The surgeon said things went very well. He has to be in a sling for six weeks and then several months of physio. Has to go back to Vancouver in two weeks for a follow-up with the surgeon. He was going to get something to eat! Must be good drugs!

Our friend, Cam, is with him and says he's doing better than expected. The extra nice part of Cam being there is that I got an update on Kira, one of our fosters who picked Cam to be her human several years ago. She is thriving and he sounds like the proud daddy of a newborn when he talks about her!

While I was talking to Stuart, the vet called again so now I'm playing phone tag with her!

Taz_Zoee
11-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Oh boy! You've got a lot on your mind right now, dont you? I will be hoping everything turns out okay for both Stuart and Heyoka. And you will have them both home and on the mend shortly (well Heyoka at least, Stuart in a few days).

Catty1
11-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Glad Stuart came through with flying colours, and I hope Heyoka does as well. What a boost to get an update on the 'new baby'. ;)

Still sending prayers that all goes smoothly with Stuart and with Heyoka.:love:

Moesha
11-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Hoping to read good news from the vet. Glad Stuart did well with his surgery.

Lilith Cherry
11-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Lots of loving thoughts and prayers for Stuart and Hekoya! Here's to a swift and painfree recovery for both of them!

Alysser
11-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Ouch, that's not fun. :( I hope they are both doing okay for now!

captain
11-10-2008, 08:08 PM
My thoughts are with you Tamara

Glacier
11-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Heyoka is home with no diagnosis. He fought the sedation at the clinic and Jessica said he stayed a bit too alert for her to really manipulate his leg. The drugs are kicking in now! He's crashed by my feet and can't keep his head on his paws, snoring like a chainsaw!

He showed no pain response in the clinic, other than not being thrilled with her touching his left hind leg. No yelping, no limping, Of course he argued with me about getting in the van and yelped when he finally did it! He doesn't have full range of motion in his hip, but that may be a chronic problem. Jessica prescibed meloxicam for five days. If he's still yelping, not running around ect, by Friday, he's going back in for x-rays.

It does appear that his knee joint is ok. That was my biggest worry. If he needed TPLO surgery, he would have to fly to Saskatoon. I've done that with a cat who needed life saving surgery, but now there is only one airline that flies animals and they don't fly to Saskatoon. I can't imagine trying to get Heyoka into a crate and on a plane!

Thanks everyone!

Cinder & Smoke
11-10-2008, 08:18 PM
GOOD NEWS on Stuart!! :D

Stuart called a few minutes ago.
The surgeon said things went very well. :)

He has to be in a sling for six weeks and then several months of physio.
:eek:
:rolleyes:

Our friend, Cam, is with him and says he's doing better than expected.

"In a sling for SIX WEEKS" ??

I'll believe that when I see the pictures.
Anyone tell the White Coat how UNlikely that is to happen?

So, a couple beers and he'll be ready to fly home, huh?

:D

Now we'll *pray* that Heyoka "does better than expected" and gets home to meet Dad!
;)

Cinder & Smoke
11-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Heyoka is home with no diagnosis.
He fought the sedation at the clinic and Jessica said he stayed a bit too alert
for her to really manipulate his leg. The drugs are kicking in now!
He's crashed by my feet and can't keep his head on his paws, snoring like a chainsaw!

It does appear that his knee joint is ok.

THANKS, God!

Memo: Next Tyme *pop* his sedatives BEFORE you head to the White Coats!

I seem to remember a certain Lady's Human in New Yawk has that problem, too ...
Timing is everything!

Hope the Meds fix him up good as new!

anna_66
11-10-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm glad to hear the good update on Stewart. When he gets home tell him to take it easy!
Hopefully the meds will help Heyoka and there won't have to be a second trip:) Sleep well sweetheart.

Happy your day of waiting and worrying is over.

Grace
11-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Just coming upon this now. So glad to hear Stuart is feeling okay. I do know what it is like to have a body part immobilized for a lengthy time, so can empathize with both of you.

Poor Heyoka - hope the meds work wonders for him.

Sending prayers and good thoughts for all of you, especially you, Tamara.

Catty1
11-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Prayers that the meds work wonders for Heyoka - and at the VERY least, he'll be comfy enough for another exam if needed (God forbid).

Stuart - LET YOUR BODY HEAL ITSELF, OK? ;) Behave. :p

captain
11-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Heyoka - giving everyone a hard time. NO WAY!! Don't believe it :D
I hope the meloxicam works ..... {{{hugs}}}

As for Stuart and the sling ...... let's hope they GLUED the sling on, eh???:p
Get Well Soon Stuart!

finn's mom
11-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Wow, Tamara! What an adventure! I just read through and am glad that it sounds like both your boys are doing all right. :) Thanks for the updates. I always feel like I'm right there with you when I read your posts. Sometimes, though, I'd rather not be, it sounds so intense! ;)

Medusa
11-11-2008, 06:26 AM
Good news about Stuart, although it's hard for me to imagine any man staying immobile for 6 weeks (except my ex-boyfriend, the lazy....never mind). I do hope that you get to the bottom of what's bothering Hekoya. I know that shrieking sound all too well and it scares the daylights out of you. At least the sweet one is comfortable now and that's a good thing. :)

Louie and me
11-11-2008, 07:54 AM
Your heart must have been in your mouth for the whole day worrying about Stuart and Heyoka at the same time. Glad to hear Stuart came through OK and good luck with trying to keep him immobile for six weeks. Lots of good thoughts coming your way for Heyoka too. Hope the Meloxicam does the trick and it was only a bad twist or something,

Daisy and Delilah
11-11-2008, 09:42 AM
My thoughts and prayers are going out to all of you, Tamara. I hope both boys are going to be on a quick road to recovery. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Donnaj4962
11-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Glad to hear good reports on both Heyoka and Stuart! Sounds like both will just need some time to heal.

I can only imagine the stressful worrying you were going through yesterday with 2 loved ones being seen by white coats! As I read through this thread, I was thinking: "Only on PT could everyone be completely understanding and concerned about a dog AND a husband allint he same thread!"

Please, no one take offense to that. I am constantly amazed at the wonderful people and their pets on this forum. Everyone is so genuine about their concern for family, both skin and fur and winged and scaley! I just LOVE that about this community!

Sorry, Glacier, I didn't mean to take over the thread.:)