PDA

View Full Version : Christmas present for the person who has everything!

Lady's Human
11-10-2008, 05:40 AM
http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htsub/articles/20081106.aspx

Demilitarized Boats For Sale, Cheap
November 6, 2008: Shopping for a unique holiday gift? How about a submarine. There are several Whiskey Class Soviet subs available. Decommissioned in 1991, and built in the 1950s, these boats have sound hulls and are insurable. The price is right; $497,000 (delivery extra). Additional details at http://www.projectboats.com/whiskeysub.html. Discounts are available if you buy more than one.

The Whiskey class boats are basically modified versions of the German Type XXI U-boats. The German subs were 1,600 ton craft, and actually more capable than the 1,100 ton Whiskeys. But that's because the Russians just wanted a good, basic diesel-electric submarine for post World War II use. They got it with the Whiskey, and built 236 of them.

The Whiskeys offered here are demilitarized (torpedo tubes sealed and torpedo handling gear removed, along with other military equipment.) That leaves a lot of room for entertaining. Normally, a crew of 54 runs a Whiskey class boat, but about half as many would be required for a civilian version. While it is possible to refurbish a Whiskey as a pleasure craft, you would still end up with a boat that provided a rough ride on the surface. Running submerged gets old real quick. Perhaps you could just tie it up at a dock, gut the interior, and turn it into a party room.

Not much chance of criminals buying one of these for use as a smuggling craft. The Whiskeys are notoriously noisy and easy for warships and anti-submarine aircraft to detect.

Just what you always wanted!

Killearn Kitties
11-10-2008, 07:58 AM
Please don't tell my husband. We have enough rusting junk.

Suki Wingy
11-10-2008, 08:42 AM
If I had tons of extra money laying around I probably would buy that. :) That's a great bit of history to own.

RICHARD
11-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Dear Santa?

http://xbradtc.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/m113-1.jpg?w=450&h=357

Actually the Whiskey may be a good buy. God knows they built K.I.S.S. machinery.;):rolleyes: You could park it under a tree and spend a Saturday to fix it!:D:confused:

Hellow
11-10-2008, 03:27 PM
I wonder how many US Navy boats you would have chasing your tail if you came near a military base in one of these...

DJFyrewolf36
11-10-2008, 03:34 PM
I wonder how many US Navy boats you would have chasing your tail if you came near a military base in one of these...

I swear sir, we were just having a party! Couldn't you hear the conga music from a mile away?

Umm want a drink? ;)

lvpets2002
11-10-2008, 03:56 PM
:cool: Only you Goofy would think of the relaxation of this.. :p
Dear Santa?

Actually the Whiskey may be a good buy. God knows they built K.I.S.S. machinery.;):rolleyes: You could park it under a tree and spend a Saturday to fix it!:D:confused:

Catlady711
11-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Dear Santa?

Ok so it's not quite a tank, but it does have tracks, and you can go fishing in it!!!

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/02/fasttrack-amphibian.jpg

Here's a video of the thing in action and it's FAST!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/28/fast-track-amphibious-vehicle-moving-beyond-proof-of-concept/

joycenalex
11-10-2008, 05:49 PM
richard!!! richard!!! (jumping up and down, waving hands!!!)
aw man, i want one! long have i had the fantasy of getting on the highway, and just tooling down the road, rotating the turrent to point at a selfish rude driver.....sigh....:D

Lady's Human
11-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Hitting the bilge pumps is a more effective reminder.

THe hull of an APC is normally full of hydraulic fluid and antifreeze........not nice to paint jobs.:p

joycenalex
11-11-2008, 05:18 AM
LH, i have a section of the columbus 270 freeway that is a particular irritation to me, just the sheer thought of tooling alone in a "bluff vehicle" will keep me smiling all the way into work today. ( my work site is being moved on 1/5/2009, so i'll have a longer commute and i'll have to be more patient daily)

RICHARD
11-11-2008, 09:11 PM
When I worked in L.A. it would take me 40 minutes to drive the 16 miles to get home. The day before Thanksgiving it took me two hours.

With an APC I could charge people to carpool with me-new stereo, captain's chairs and I get to play monster truck on the way home.:D

Lady's Human
11-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Richard, funny thing about stereos in an APC:

I drove the command track for the unit I was with in Germany. Being the good commo geek that I was, I had the thing wired for a stereo in short order, but the only way to hear it over the roar of the engine was to pipe it in through the vehicle crewmen's helmets.

There's a switch on the side of the helmet, one way you just talk to the other crewmembers, the other way anything over the audio circuit in the track gets broadcast over the 'net.

On a convoy I flipped the switch to broadcast to music rest of the company.......

And forgot I had the set switched to the battalion command net.

The BN commander was NOT impressed.......but the rest of the BN had a heck of a time.

blue
11-11-2008, 10:12 PM
The BN commander was NOT impressed.......but the rest of the BN had a heck of a time.

Fawsome!!

joycenalex
11-12-2008, 05:32 AM
english? commo geek= commander geek BN=batallion.....and i still want either one of those for eastsife of 270 in july during rush hour...sigh, such a dream....:p
oh yeah and how do you divvy up the music choices? i'm having a hard time imagining gilbert and sullivan, but more ....rap and thrash and head banger, and never john tesh

Lady's Human
11-12-2008, 07:00 AM
I've been on 270 during rush hour. Not again if I can help it.

I think one of these would work wonders for that little stretch of road:

http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/cv/eng/M728/M728_03T.jpg

Puckstop31
11-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Hitting the bilge pumps is a more effective reminder.

THe hull of an APC is normally full of hydraulic fluid and antifreeze........not nice to paint jobs.:p

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

Experienced armored fighting vehicle crewmen learn to stay away from the reach of the bilge. Many a Private (yours truly included) have experienced what it is to be covered in the God awful stuff that come out of it.

When I was a driver, I drove for our Platoon Sergeant. Sergeant Moody was a notorious practical joker. ;) He made it more funny because he was a VERY dark skinned guy and spoke with southern accent, that had a lisp to it. LOL

"Beak-es-es... Gets ready. Flips da bulges pumps... NOW!"

LOL

Or... "Yalls best have yo maskes-es and yo glubs for the nick-el-er thang we doing nexts."

WTF is a GLUB? LOL

Don't get me wrong... Sergeant Moody was the finest human being it has ever been my priviledge to know. Good times...

/ jaunt down memory lane.

Puckstop31
11-12-2008, 08:15 AM
There's a switch on the side of the helmet, one way you just talk to the other crewmembers, the other way anything over the audio circuit in the track gets broadcast over the 'net.

Oh yeah... We would hook a tape player up to the AUX input on the Charlie Box. Imagine doing tank gunnery with Metallica playing in the background.

WOOT! LOL

On a convoy I flipped the switch to broadcast to music rest of the company.......

NICE..... Were you singing along with it? LOL

RICHARD
11-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Richard, funny thing about stereos in an APC:

Oh, I bet if it was the "ride of the valkyries" it would have been quite all right?:D

I was thinking more along the line of one of those giant speaker units that are in vogue lately, just turn the thing into a speaker box on steriods.:)