PDA

View Full Version : Overheating oven??

jennielynn1970
11-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Ok, so I was trying to make a cake for my neighbor who just came out of the hospital. She has 2 nurses visiting her every day, and I wanted her to have something to give them and for herself and her husband. Fran is 70 years old, has a myriad of health issues, and her husband bears the brunt of many things, and he's older than she is.

So, I have the cake in, it's at 350*, for 35 minutes. It's only 14 minutes into the baking when the oven is beeping like crazy, there's smoke in the kitchen, and error codes on the stove. Again it's a GAS stove, so I'm kinda worried.

From the manual (and notes made by the previous owners), these codes have come up before. F3 E2. Thermostat spark module issues. Only then the oven wasn't lighting.

The stove was bought in 2001. It still should be ok, shouldn't it?? I'm hoping I don't need another stove.

I don't unplug it, do I?? If it were only electric I think I would, but it's gas, and I don't want gas to escape if I unplug the whole thing.

I'm going to call my gas company tomorrow, and then the appliance company that is listed on the repair sheet (I guess... I don't know of any other stove repairman around here).

Any one else have gas stove issues??? Or oven overheating issues??

Oh, and the cake. It's black. Ick. Guess I'll buy them a cake to share, lol.

Taz_Zoee
11-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Aww, sorry about the cake. This is where it's the thought that counts comes into play.
I hope you get the oven fixed soon. I know you like to bake a lot around the holidays.
We have electric, so I have no ideas or suggestions. Sorry.

blue
11-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Unplug the power and turn the gas off to the stove. If the internal valves on the stove arent working properly Ild have it looked at.

jennielynn1970
11-09-2008, 10:04 PM
How do you turn off gas to the stove?? Is it in the basement or where would I look?? I'm so not a fixer of things like this. :o

I'm calling the gas company tomorrow to see if they'll do a courtesy check, and then the company who fixed the oven for the previous owners of the home.

Karen
11-09-2008, 10:13 PM
It could be that your thermostat is busted. Do call the gas company, just to be sure, but I am betting that's what the problem is. You shut the stove off, and it cooled down, right? Then you don;t need to worry about trying to find anything to unplug. Just get it checked before you try to use it again.

I have had a gas stove since moving to "the city" when I married Paul, and never have had that particular issue. Did you try doing a search on the manufacturer's website?

jennielynn1970
11-09-2008, 10:24 PM
The manual says something about a temperature sensor. Found that on a Goggle search too. Not sure what something like that costs. Ugh. There's no warranty on it, it was bought in 2001 by the previous owners.

blue
11-09-2008, 10:32 PM
The gas line that is behind the stove should have a valve on it, that is the gas cut off.

jennielynn1970
11-09-2008, 10:36 PM
I've never pulled the stove out from the place where it's at. Kinda a scary thought. Lord knows what is under it. Ick.

I'll call a tech tomorrow.

RICHARD
11-10-2008, 01:21 AM
I've never pulled the stove out from the place where it's at. Kinda a scary thought. Lord knows what is under it. Ick.

Whatsdamatter, afraid of lost cat toys?;)

If it lives under a stove, it was food at one time and dead now-or you cat played with it.

Gird you loins and check it out!:cool:

Sirrahsim
11-10-2008, 08:00 AM
My parents had some sort of issue with their oven that sounds similar. I'll point my mom in this direction:)

Hellow
11-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Its not specifically good if your gas oven starts beeping like crazy and displaying error messages. But yea, turn off the gas to the stove and call your appliance company to get it looked at, I wouldn't trust it until its fixed.

sirrahbed
11-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Yes our oven started beeping an error message a few months ago. If you still have your handbook that came with the oven - it might have the "error codes" listing like mine did. It told me that the temperature sensor needed replacing. I went to several appliance parts places at google and entered the model and make, then ordered the part. It was only about $25 for mine and was easy to fix. There was a plate in the back of the oven to screw off and plug in the sensor. It was a needle looking part - a thermostat essentially. I had to reset the panle where the error code beeps and that was that! The part can likely be ordered from the manufacturere or one of the appliance parts houses - many to choose from. I used one called http://www.repairclinic.com/ fault codes at http://www.repairclinic.com/0078.asp and there are forums there also. Another place I like to look is http://www.doityourself.com/ - you can post your problem there and folks will answer pretty quickly. List the make and model number and someone will try to help.

jennielynn1970
11-10-2008, 04:18 PM
I called a bunch of repair shops today. I'm amazed at the differences in prices they have for service calls.

Here are some examples:

Shop #1
42.95 for the service call
9.75 for each 1/10 of an hour (that's every 6 minutes)
+ parts

Shop #2
85.00 for the service call
45.00 for each additional 15 minutes
10.05 for a fuel maintenance fee
+parts

Shop 3
85.00 for the visit.
+ parts

I'm going to go with shop #3, plus it's a woman who runs the shop, she was just really up front about everything and said she can't see charging incremental minutes. Thank goodness. So, I'm waiting for a call back, but I think I have to call her back because I'm have phone issues (well, switching to Vonage, and I didn't realize I have a "virtual" number until my old one is ported... gotta love the whole process).

OH... anyone interested in inexpensive VOIP phone service, I got a plan with Vonage for $14.99 a month, $18.-- with taxes and such. It's 500 minutes talk time per month (I'm not chatty on the phone), and goes over your internet connection. I had Verizon Voicewing, another VOIP, but their prices went up, and the quality of the calls are bad. I have a DECT 6 phone, so it's a new one, so there shouldn't be an issue w/ quality on that end. Plus, it's just cheaper service per month.