PDA

View Full Version : Haven't heard this one before...

wolf_Q
11-09-2008, 08:03 PM
I get a lot of weird guesses on all my dogs breeds (malamute, german shepherd, akita, samoyed, wolf, coyote, etc.) but this is one I've never heard before. I had Skya at work with me and somebody asked me if she was a Shar-pei. :eek: I can't think of a single characteristic that would make her look even remotely like a shar-pei. :confused: What is the weirdest breed guess you've had about your dog?

luvofallhorses
11-09-2008, 08:30 PM
some people think Buster is a beagle. :rolleyes: and he's a coonhound big difference there. ;)

Sharpei really? I wouldn't have noticed. :p seriously where I work at the animal shelter we had a purebred sharpei nobody came looking for she was AWESOME and it took her months to get a home but she got the best one out there. :)

CountryWolf07
11-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Hmmmm... Anna was always thought to be PART wolf. I know that's not weird. Everyone honestly thought that.

Rosie, none of it.

Hank? Hmm, well, it's still a guessing game at this point - Beagle with Boston Terrier/Boxer/Chihuahua

Honestly. Hank has not GAINED! He is still 8 pounds and he is 11 weeks old.

That's pretty tiny.

chocolatepuppy
11-09-2008, 08:32 PM
A Shar-pei?:rolleyes:...I had someone ask me if Layla was a Border Collie in Petsmart.:D

ramanth
11-09-2008, 09:53 PM
LOL!! That is weird.

Haven't gotten any strange guesses about my two, which is surprising, given how funny Chipper looks. ;)

critter crazy
11-09-2008, 09:56 PM
I havent gottena nay weird guesses about any breeds, but people always ask me if shep is realy old, cause he is grey! lol!! :D

Giselle
11-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Deer?

:D :p

K9karen
11-09-2008, 10:03 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Someone wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

cyber-sibes
11-09-2008, 11:08 PM
LOL!! That is weird.

Haven't gotten any strange guesses about my two, which is surprising, given how funny Chipper looks. ;)aaaaa, I'm still wondering about Chipper.....;)

:eek:A Shar-pei?!?

They get mistaken for malamutes, people ask if they are part wolf. No one has asked if they are Shar-peis yet.:p

There's a lot of International families here in the Navy Housing - one middle-eastern girl asked me what kind of animals they were - wolves or foxes!

shais_mom
11-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Reminds me of when someone asked Zippy if her Boxer's were Rottweilers.
:)

Suki Wingy
11-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Maybe they just mixed up the names. I knew someone who would mix up the names of the breeds Basenji and Borzoi. They knew the difference just sometimes they'd mix the names up.

As for me, no one knows what Niņo is so I've heard pretty much everything.

k9krazee
11-10-2008, 08:41 AM
A Shar-Pei? Hahahaha. That's too funny.

4 Dog Mother
11-10-2008, 12:55 PM
I've had some strange guesses but I can't remember them right now. It's that age thing again. A lot of people think that Dakota is an extremely large Dalmation. Some are very surprised that Danes come in other colors besides brown. However, I don't see nor can I even think how anyone would see any Shar Pei in Skya!

Cinder & Smoke
11-10-2008, 02:26 PM
~~ Bowser ~~

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8df33b3127ccec34c8428190400000010O08IaOW7lwyag9 vPgA/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8df33b3127ccec34c69b5d84700000010O08IaOW7lwyag9 vPgA/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

Bowser was a *unique* mixture ...
Best Guess by Doc Mike was he was a pretty even "mix" of Husky + German Shepherd + CORGI.

* His head was a good model for a Husky - with a GSD Paint Job.
* His always *waving* Tail was pure Husky
* His Body shape and those super-short legs were CORGI
* His FURR was Husky - double coated and with enough FLUFF for a dog 4 times his size!
* Temperment was GSD with the Husky desire to *wander* and hunt.
* Personality = A Friend to ALL Bi-Peds, K-9s, and KATs

What did other folks think he was???
'Bout everthing known to man ... in all combinations.

First time I bought him his County License Plate, one of the Dawg Ketchers was
in the office looking over Carol's shoulder as she typed Bowser on with Cinder & Smokey ...
He exclaimed "A WHAT? A Husky / Shepherd / CORGI ?? I'd like to see THAT dog!"

I invited him out to the Bus for Show & Tell - he gladly came outside!
Bowz hopped out and danced around in the lot ...

"I never would have believed THAT combination - but I think you may be right!
I do see all three in there ... *CUTE* little Guy!"

< sniff >
*Miss ya*, Bowz!! :(

boomersooner
11-10-2008, 04:54 PM
A white, furry, non wrinkly big puppy.....a shar pei...sheesh.....At least when people guess cocker spaniel for Boomer, they are at least in the spaniel family!!

Husky_mom
11-10-2008, 05:03 PM
LMAO!!!... hahaha... seriously... Sharpei?.. hahahahahaha

I´ve got malamute, samoyed, wolf, and a made up husky samoyed :rolleyes:
or siberian samoyed ... LOl... also alaska husky but not as a mix among them but a sole breed...

here people tend to believe alaska husky or husky malamute and siberian husky are variations of husky...

when I tell them they are huskies many ask... siberian or alaskan...:rolleyes:

other thing I got almost every time was if they were blind (blue eyes) ... and that if they were bieyed they were mutts not purebred... yeah right...

cmayer31
11-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Shar Pei huh? That is one heck of a random guess for a husky!

I can't say that I've had any strange guesses on what Frankie is because anyone's guess is as good as the next! :)

With Riley almost everyones says Golden and something, but the only one that we know 100% for sure is Aussie something and no one seems to guess that.

finn's mom
11-10-2008, 09:15 PM
I would have had to ask what about her made them think she was a shar pei. Or asked them what they think a shar pei looks like. ;)

Finn always got golden retriever. Not as much anymore, but all the time when he's a puppy. Other than that, people just ask if he's mixed with something. He definitely doesn't look like the usual lab, just because it seems like so many labs are overweight.

I can't think of any really odd guesses...

A little boy in the apartments I just moved from always said Freckles was a chihuahua. :D She's 20 pounds. :D

zippy-kat
11-10-2008, 11:31 PM
Reminds me of when someone asked Zippy if her Boxer's were Rottweilers.
:)

LOL
I was just going to type that!

I remember being told that Bowser was half shep./half husky but I'd have to agree that there's corgi in there somewhere!

Ginger's Mom
11-11-2008, 06:56 AM
Shar-Pei? That actually made me lol when I read it. :D Thanks.
Most people just ask what Ginger is. Those that do guess usually ask if she is a Samoyed. I don't think many people are aware of the American Eskimo breed.

Haven't gotten any strange guesses about my two, which is surprising, given how funny Chipper looks. ;)

Ah Mom, poor Chipper, no respect. ;) :D

IRescue452
11-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Most people ask what Autumn is. She's gotten golden retriever, cocker spaniel, irish setter even.

Naylee has gotten wolf, german shepherd, coyote, greyhound. She's so friendly but because of her looks people tend to act like my dog is a vicious thing that's gonna rip them to shreds.

AllAmericanPUP
11-11-2008, 08:07 PM
was asked if ozzy was part poodle...

I was walkin in Gatlinburg,TN with a friend and her english mastiff and a person asked if he was a pug.

at a dog park with my friend and her blue great dane and someone asked if he was a weimeraner