PDA

View Full Version : Poor, Pathetic Jersey

BC_MoM
11-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Today my sister and I took Jersey to the park to play some frisbee in the snow (and then we would take the M&M's by themselves). It was all fun, until Jersey limped over to us. Somehow, she had ripped her front dewclaw and it was 3/4 of the way off. I think she must have done it on ice somewhere.

A couple hundreds dollars and a sedated dog later, the dewclaw was saved but the nail was clipped off completely. She is on Metacam and another antibiotic for about a week. She is doing well, despite being in quite a bit of pain, except that the sedative effected her already weak sphincter and she is leaking pee absolutely everywhere.

Anyway... here are some pix I took when we got home. Poor Jerble!

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/jdmh89/Jersey/jersey_ouch1.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/jdmh89/Jersey/jersey_ouch2.jpg

Her special wrap, made just for her by the staff:
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/jdmh89/Jersey/ouch.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/jdmh89/Jersey/butterfly.jpg

It was a long day for both of us, apparently. :lol:
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/jdmh89/Jersey/jess_jersey.jpg

kimlovescats
11-09-2008, 07:56 PM
OUCH is right! Poor baby!:(

chocolatepuppy
11-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Oh no, poor baby. :( Get better fast Jersey.

CountryWolf07
11-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Awwwww!

Give Jersey a hug for me!

Taz_Zoee
11-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Aww, poor Jersey. I'll bet that hurt. I hope you heal up quickly so you can go play in the snow again.
Would booties help against that injury? I'm asking because Taggart has his back dewclaws still. And if/when we take him to the snow I'd like to avoid this injury if possible. I've never had a dog with dewclaws before.

I hope you feel better soon, Jersey!! :D

K9karen
11-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Ooooo, I have tingles down my spine! The only time I heard RB Cody whine in pain, despite his surgeries, was when he ripped his dew claw. Poor, sweet, knocked out Jersey. I hope Jersey heals and feels better soon. The only *good* thing is the lovely, personalized wrapping. Please give lots of hugs and kisses from me. :love:

BC_MoM
11-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Aww, poor Jersey. I'll bet that hurt. I hope you heal up quickly so you can go play in the snow again.
Would booties help against that injury? I'm asking because Taggart has his back dewclaws still. And if/when we take him to the snow I'd like to avoid this injury if possible. I've never had a dog with dewclaws before.

I hope you feel better soon, Jersey!! :D

I've never had issues with dewclaws before. Front dewclaws don't usually cause problems, this was a freak accident. Back dewclaws, however, I would recommend having removed if Taggart ever needs a surgery (ie: neuter). They just get in the way and can rip/tear very easily.

Taz_Zoee
11-09-2008, 11:42 PM
I've never had issues with dewclaws before. Front dewclaws don't usually cause problems, this was a freak accident. Back dewclaws, however, I would recommend having removed if Taggart ever needs a surgery (ie: neuter). They just get in the way and can rip/tear very easily.

Oh great. He just got neutered on Friday. They always alter them before they go up for adoption. The adoption counselor did question (just mentioning to me) why they didn't do it then. Oh well, I will definitely get it done if he has to go under for anything else (god forbid!). Thanks for the heads up.

Hugs still going out to Jersey! :)

4 Dog Mother
11-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Aww, poor Jersey! I hope you feel better soon!

Pippi had her back dew claws when we got her - she was about a year old. Because she is a "wild" thing, we had them removed when she was neutered. The way she jumps I was afraid she would catch them on something and rip them off. I also thought they were very ugly so I am glad I had them removed!

BC_MoM
11-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Jersey doesn't seem to be doing too well today. Her paw is very sore, even to touch. She doesn't fit in her kennel with the e-collar, so I've been putting a sock over her bandage and even though it's a huge sock, it hurts it to have me put it on. Hopefully she'll feel better by tomorrow.

Thanks for all the caring words!

boomersooner
11-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Poor, poor Jersey....I know that hurt.....Neither Boomer or Cassie have their dew claws, but Cassie has ripped other toenails off on more than one occasion....ouch!!!!!!

Taz_Zoee
11-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Aww poor little Jersey. :( I hope your footsie feels better soon.

IRescue452
11-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Poor girl. I suppose she was in more pain the day after because the painkillers wore off. Nay went through the same thing when she had her toe amputated. All of my dogs still have their dewclaws. I don't remove them unless they get injured.

Alysser
11-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Poor Jersey, that sucks. :( OUCH is right!! She looks so sad, but the second pic kinda gave me a laugh she looks like shes giving a death glare. "HOW dare you take my picture!!" LOL. Feel better soon!

Karen
11-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Poor pretty girl. I love her cast with the butterfly and all. Please give her a kiss on the noggin from me, okay?

cloverfdx
11-12-2008, 06:48 AM
Poor bub, i hope she is feeling better today {{Hugs}}. Get well soon Jersey girl.