PDA

View Full Version : we have a new government.....

carole
11-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Well yes NZ voted for a change as well,not to my liking one little bit, i was more than happy with the present government, and as a staunch labour party supporter, would never vote for the opposition National, but so be it,that is what most kiwis wanted,

I understand how the Mccain/palin voters feel now, a huge disappointment, and concern about our new government, i think what swayed the voters here, were one the American elections did have some influence for sure,but also National has made some promises, like they all do until they get in power, about making our streets safer etc etc.

Anyhow thought some of you might be interested to know a little about the politics of our country.

The saddest part for me was that our Prime Minister Helen Clark, announced she is stepping down from the leader of the Labour Party, she has been the leader for 15 years and prime minister of our country for nine of those,it was indeed a bit of a shock, but i guess she figures it is time to let someone else have a go, and let some new blood into the party.

So all in all a huge let down for me today, but i guess i will get over it lol, one has to accept the new government and just hope with all fingers and paws crossed they do a good job of running the country,in these times it is going to be a difficult job,of course the new party will always blame the old party for any messing up that eventuates.

Karen
11-08-2008, 07:28 PM
My condolences, but I hope the new government improves things for all of New Zealand and you are pleasantly surprised.

Pembroke_Corgi
11-09-2008, 09:25 AM
I wish that I knew more about international politics but American education in that area is sadly lacking. It is interesting to me that you said your last prime minister served for 9 years- how often do they hold elections there and are there term limits?

I hope like Karen said that you are pleasantly surprised about the new government. :)

carole
11-09-2008, 01:38 PM
I am keeping an open mind, we have an election every three years, don't worry i have enough trouble trying to understand my own politics let alone anyone else's, I know we have a very different system to America, I think we follow the british more.

Yes well he is basking in all his glory at the moment, only time will tell i guess,let us hope there is a bright future for us all with our new leaders.

Grace
11-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Did Key win by a large margin, or was it a close election?

carole
11-09-2008, 02:02 PM
It was not a landslide by any means, so i guess i would say it was reasonably close, I think what swayed it for him was is stance on crime, harsher penalty's, and more tax cuts,hey i am all for that, but we shall see what he can do.

He is a successful business man, and lives in a 4.3 dollar mansion, i do believe he came from humble beginnings though, on the contrary our Prime Minister Helen lives in an old villa, quite simple, but i guess worth quite a bit where it is situated, she has always struck me as a very down to earth person,where as John Keys just doesn't, but i have been listening to him talk lately and he is growing on me, if only he would learn to pronounce his words better.

He is not unlikeable,he is ok i guess.

Karen
11-09-2008, 05:43 PM
He is not unlikeable, he is ok i guess.

Hey, it's a start - here's hoping he improves both in his pronunciation skills, and in your estimation!

carole
11-10-2008, 01:38 PM
well Karen i have no choice but to accept him,however he got under my skin yesterday, had him outside parliament buildings, a young boy had given him his kitten to cuddle,he did so, but it clawed his suit, he made a face, i guess the claws dug in his skin ,he he, now if kitty ain't so keen , that is indeed a sign lol, cats are very intuitive aren't they?:)