PDA

View Full Version : Butternut squash?

beeniesmom
11-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Ok PTers I need some help here:

I just got back from veggie shopping. I went in a shack/store that sells only fruits and veggies.
I pass by it every day and figured I'd go in today.

I left with a cabbage, a head of iceberg, a few cucumbers AND a butternut squash.
I wanted to try something new.
I have no idea how to cook/prepare it. Help! :o

The lady said something about baking it and stuffing it with sausage???

caseysmom
11-07-2008, 10:30 AM
You can just bake it like a potatoe, it is really yummy with butter. If you bougght it whole you need to cut it in half and clean out the seeds and just set both halves on a baking sheet, 350 for about a half an hour or so.

Catty1
11-07-2008, 10:44 AM
I love it done like that with butter and pepper (no salt). Now I am in a squash mood!:D

beeniesmom
11-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Cut side up or down?
Do I peel it?

BitsyNaceyDog
11-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Cut side up or down?
Do I peel it?

Don't peel it. I cook it with the skin up. I also put it in a baking pan rather than a sheet and I add a little water to the bottom of the pan. The skin should peel away from the squash easily when it's done. (It may take closer to 40-45 minutes if it's a large squash.) Tthe skin may burn a little, it's ok, the inside will be fine.

Butternut squash is my son's favorite vegetable. We like it with just a little cinnamon added to it.

Cincy'sMom
11-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Don't peel it. I cook it with the skin up. I also put it in a baking pan rather than a sheet and I add a little water to the bottom of the pan. The skin should peel away from the squash easily when it's done. (It may take closer to 40-45 minutes if it's a large squash.) Tthe skin may burn a little, it's ok, the inside will be fine.

Butternut squash is my son's favorite vegetable. We like it with just a little cinnamon added to it.

We just had Butternut squash this week and is exactly how we cooked.

caseysmom
11-07-2008, 11:06 AM
I eat it a lot when I am trying to be good, its low cal, low fat and very filling. I

beeniesmom
11-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks!

BitsyNaceyDog
11-07-2008, 11:14 AM
I also want to add that it freezes well.

Edwina's Secretary
11-07-2008, 11:24 AM
If you are going to bake it...don't forget the brown sugar!

I also make soup out of it. Peel and make small pieces. Boil it in chicken broth with onion and celery. When soft, use your blender or beaters to make mush of it...add a little milk. So, so good!

I LOVE butternut squash!

jennielynn1970
11-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Want to add that if you prick the skin with a fork, and cover it with plastic wrap, and nuke it, the skin comes off WAAYYY easy!

I have a recipe for Butternut Squash and Apple soup, which is heaven, and also a butternut squash and roasted chicken recipe. I'll post them next. They are not hard, and really yummy dishes.

jennielynn1970
11-07-2008, 12:52 PM
3-4lbs butternut squash
6 apples, peeled and diced(Macintosh work best)
6 cups chicken broth
1 large onion, diced
2 Tbsp veg. oil
1/2 - 1 tsp allspice
1-2 Tbsp cinnamon
1/3 to 1/2 c. maple syrup
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp salt
3/4 c. heavy cream

Prick squash with a fork all over, then wrap in plastic wrap and microwave about 3-4 minutes to get skin tender enough to take skin off with a knife. Cut up squash into small pieces, and take out the seeds and nuke until very soft.

In a large pot, heat oil. Add onions and cook till transparent. Add apples and cook until soft. Add squash and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Add spices and adjust seasonings with maple syrup and salt. Cool completely. Puree in an emulsion blender or a food processor, adding the heavy cream to give a silky smooth consistency.

jennielynn1970
11-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Southwestern Roasted Chicken & Squash

4 tsp. olive oil, divided
2 tsp. lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
1 tsp. honey
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. salt, or to taste, divided
freshly ground pepper to taste
21/2-3 ? lbs. bone-in chicken pieces
3 cups cubed (3/4 “ pieces)butternut squash
2 medium onions, peeled and cut into ? “ wedges(2 cups)
1 Tbsp. coarsely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley(optional)

Preheat oven to 425. Coat a large roasting pan(or large baking sheet with sides) with cooking spray. Mix 2 tsp. oil, lime juice, honey, cumin, paprika ,chili powder, 1/8 tsp. salt and pepper in a small bowl. Remove skin from chicken; trim fat. Rub chicken pieces with the spice mixture and place in the center of the roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine squash, onions, remaining 2 tsp. oil, 1/8 tsp. salt, and pepper in a large bowl; toss to coat. When chicken has roasted for 20 minutes, place the squash mixture in the roasting pan around the chicken pieces. Bake, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender, turning vegetables twice, 40 or more minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro or parsley, and serve with lime wedges.

Karen
11-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Yes, it microwaves very well, if you are in a hurry. Just cut it in half - I usually quarter it - remove the seeds and gunk, and microwave until soft. Then you can throw it in a mixer bowl, add a little cinnamon and a bit of butter if you want, and mix it all up. Yum!

Freedom
11-07-2008, 01:33 PM
It is very hard to peel when raw. If you can bake it first (or microwave it), the skin will come off easily. in fact, that is one sign it is "done!" :D

I like to cut in half length wise, clean out the seeds etc. Place skin side up on a pan, bake. When done, turn it over, using a knife put some gashes, and put butter, cinnamon, brown sugar or all 3! Let is soak in a bit through the gashes.

Then you can peel it and chunk it and serve as a side dish; or peel it and mash it up.

beeniesmom
11-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Wow thanks everyone for the recipes and the preparation instructions.
I will probably make it tomorrow for lunch or with dinner. :)

Daisy and Delilah
11-07-2008, 02:06 PM
I was talking to my sister last week about cooking squash. We don't know much about squash in my family for some reason. At least, not the winter ones. What does the butternut squash look like? How about acorn and some of the other ones? We tried for a long time to figure it out and we never came to a conclusion.:confused:

beeniesmom
11-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Here is a picture of the butternut squash I bought today.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/beeniesmom/IMG_0053.jpg

jennielynn1970
11-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Found this pic with info

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/REC_FrmMktWinterSquashNames.jpg

jennielynn1970
11-07-2008, 02:23 PM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/Pumpkins_Aust.jpg

Hubbard on top, Red Hubbard in middle, there's a butternut on the bottom row, and I think that's a blue hubbard too on the bottom.

Daisy and Delilah
11-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Thanks ladies!!!! That's so cool. Now I know what I'm looking at when I go to the store. I am in a squash mood myself now.:)

jennielynn1970
11-07-2008, 05:14 PM
If you want to make home made pumpkin pie, you can use the hubbard squash. It's yummy!!!

Karen
11-07-2008, 05:25 PM
I love the "winter squashes" - maybe because I am not allergic to them. But in theory, anyway, how could you not love them? Tasty, nutritious, and if you store them in a cool place, they keep for-nearly-ever.

A long time ago, the most amazing squash ever was the best-guess butternut/pumpkin hybrid that grew on its own in a corner of my grandfather's huge garden. It was huge, smooth and solid like a butternut squash, but orange like a pumpkin with no ridges ... and weighed so much we needed grandpa's tractor to move it!

Daisy and Delilah
11-07-2008, 08:26 PM
If you want to make home made pumpkin pie, you can use the hubbard squash. It's yummy!!!

I had no idea. Thanks, Jennie!!:)