PDA

View Full Version : Knives come out for Sarah Palin; McCain aides tell tales of an ill-informed diva

Catty1
11-06-2008, 11:25 PM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/081106/world/blame_palin

Knives come out for Sarah Palin; McCain aides tell tales of an ill-informed diva

Thu Nov 6, 11:11 AM

By Lee-Anne Goodman, The Canadian Press

WASHINGTON - Sarah Palin wasn't aware that Africa was a continent and she and her brood behaved like a band of "Wasilla hillbillies looting Neiman Marcus from coast to coast," aides to Republican John McCain are telling prominent news organizations.

http://d.yimg.com/ca.yimg.com/p/081106/capress/i1225987860123463021.jpg?x=258&y=345&sig=GBH4H_qtQ8nQXTOldv9uWg--

Less than 24 hours after McCain lost the presidential election to Democrat Barack Obama, those close to him apparently wasted no time burning up the phone lines to dish the dirt on Palin, the Alaska governor who portrayed herself as a sensible hockey Mom when she was chosen the Arizona senator's running mate in late August.

If the anonymous McCain insiders are to be believed, Palin, a 44-year-old mother of five, was unaware that Africa was a continent, arguing that South Africa was simply a region of the larger country of Africa.

She also didn't know the three countries that are in the North American Free Trade Agreement, namely Canada, the U.S. and Mexico.

A call last week by a Quebec radio prankster pretending to be French President Nicolas Sarkozy reportedly became a fiery source of tension between the already feuding McCain and Palin camps. An aide to the Alaska governor, Steve Biegun, OK'd the call without discussing it with McCain's people or the U.S. State Department.

The Los Angeles Times reported that an outraged Steve Schmidt, McCain's top strategist, organized a conference call after the prank - which revealed Palin to be ill-informed and naive - made international headlines and brought further ridicule to the campaign.

He demanded to know who had arranged the Sarkozy call and questioned why anyone would have agreed to such an unusual request without clearing it with top staff.

Biegun immediately took responsibility.

"I was fooled," he told the L.A. Times in a report published Thursday. "No one's going to beat me up more than I beat myself up for setting up the governor like that."

The leaked stories about Palin's alleged antics throughout the campaign are appearing in publications that include Newsweek magazine and the New York Times just as Republicans gather Thursday in Virginia to discuss the future of the party.

Many in the party's ultra-conservative wing are enthralled by Palin and her socially conservative views, and hope to make her a presidential candidate in 2012.

"I'm not doing this for naught," Palin said recently when asked about her aspirations.

Yet soon after she was chosen McCain's running mate with very little vetting, his campaign insiders say they became queasy with the growing knowledge that Palin was desperately unqualified and ill-prepared to be a heartbeat away from the presidency.

They attempted to bring her up to speed on the issues of the day, but she refused any efforts to prepare her for a string of disastrous interviews with CBS's Katie Couric that proved extremely damaging to the McCain campaign.

The McCain insiders have told various news organizations that Palin nonetheless threw angry temper tantrums over their mishandling of her when the Couric interviews went badly.

The most salacious of the stories leaked - with many more supposedly still to come in the days to follow - involve Palin's infamous US$150,000 spending spree at some of the most expensive stores in the United States.

Despite her self-styled image as a down-home working mother opposed to big government spending, the aides told Newsweek she behaved like anything but: she spent tens of thousands of dollars more than the US$150,000 originally reported on clothing, accessories and luggage for herself and her family.

One senior aide told the magazine that she was told to buy three suits for the Republican National Convention and hire a stylist, but instead, the vice-presidential nominee began amassing costly goods from stores like Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus.

At one point during the campaign, Palin's youngest daughter, seven-year-old Piper, was photographed carrying a US$790 Louis Vuitton bag.

Two sources told Newsweek the goods were bought by a wealthy donor, who was flabbergasted when he saw the bills. Palin also allegedly instructed low-level staffers to buy her new clothes with their credit cards, something the McCain campaign only discovered last week when the aides tried to get reimbursed.

Palin aides had a different version of events, with several telling the Los Angeles Times that she was outraged by the amount of money being spent on her clothing, adding she was naive about what the clothes cost.

"The very first day of shopping, there was a $14,000 price tag and . . . she was absolutely shocked," one of the Palin insiders said.

Another told Newsweek: "Gov. Palin was not directing staffers to put anything on their personal credit cards, and anything that staffers put on their credit cards has been reimbursed, like an expense."

On Wednesday in Phoenix, Palin said: "There is absolutely no diva in me."

Nonetheless, a Republican party lawyer is reportedly heading to Alaska to inventory and retrieve the clothes still in Palin's possession.

The tensions between the two camps reportedly continued even into election night, when Palin met up with McCain at the Biltmore hotel in Phoenix with a concession speech in hand that she wanted to deliver before he took to the podium to address his crestfallen supporters.

Much to her chagrin, she was told by senior McCain aides that such a speech would be inappropriate since vice-presidential nominees do not traditionally speak on election night.

The relationship between Palin and McCain, in fact, had deteriorated in the final days of the campaign to the point that they were seldom talking.

"I think it was a difficult relationship," one top McCain campaign official told the New York Times. "McCain talked to her occasionally."

On Wednesday, Palin disputed suggestions she contributed to McCain's loss, but said she was apologetic if she had.

"I don't think anybody should give Sarah Palin that much credit that I would trump an economic time in this nation that occurred about two months ago," she told CNN. "If I cost John McCain even one vote, I am sorry about that because John McCain, I believe, is the American hero."

jennielynn1970
11-06-2008, 11:31 PM
It's one thing when they are being picky when she was running as McCain's 2nd, I mean, we knew that everyone would be doing that, even being intentionally nasty. It was wrong, but she was in the spotlight, and made an easy target, unfortunately.

But this... it's just wrong. It's kicking someone when they're already down. She's human, and I'm sure if they did behave that way, others put in her position would have as well.

People just feel the need to tear eachother apart, and wear others down to they feel as shitty as they do themselves.

Boooooo to the reports and those doing this kind of gossip mongering.

HOwever, if they are true... I'm sorely disappointed.

blue
11-06-2008, 11:45 PM
And I thought Canadians where nice people.

Karen
11-06-2008, 11:47 PM
And I thought Canadians where nice people.

Now, now, blue - you know we cannot paint all Canadians with the same brush!

Now, let's keep this in the spirit of Pet Talk, and not kick Ms. Palin now that she's down. In every losing campaign, there's gonna be bitterness, she's just the focus at the moment. I hope she'll take a few days and spend them at home, with her family, with the TV and radio turned off.

blue
11-06-2008, 11:53 PM
I suppose I should have used a smiley. My stepdad is a former Canadian, I know there are many outstanding and wonderfull Canucks..

Karen
11-06-2008, 11:56 PM
I suppose I should have used a smiley. My stepdad is a former Canadian, I know there are many outstanding and wonderfull Canucks..

:) Grandma and her family were French-Canadian, so Dad always told me if I was ever North of Montreal, I'd better be good, because anyone I offended would probably turn out to be some sort of cousin!

Catty1
11-07-2008, 12:03 AM
blue, here's a riddle: How do you know when an obscene caller is Canadian?

He says, "I'm sorry, am I calling at a bad time?"

:p:D

I was actually going to preface the first post with something like, "Oh, sure, now that the election is OVER...." sort of thing.

My two (previous) employers have an NGO that takes them various places, including the Yukon, and in a place very close to the Alaska boundary.

These are two serious academics, not given at all to gossip or making things up. They took me out for dinner on Monday, and the husband was speaking about information he had gathered on Palin's faith. (At this telling, it is third-hand, I realize that). She is a person that believes in the rapture, which is all fine and good; in this case, she will be personally welcoming the raptured into Alaska. Apparently she believes this.

But whatever...there are many different beliefs throughout the world, let alone the USA and Canada.

kt_luvs_kitties
11-07-2008, 12:07 AM
I feel bad for Sarah.

Let me say something nice about her: What an absolutely BEAUTIFUL WOMAN! Really, I hope that I look half as pretty as her when I am her age, and with that many kids!;):D

beeniesmom
11-07-2008, 06:33 AM
Although I thought she had nothing going for her except her good looks, I do feel bad for her.
Noone should be treated like that. Noone. :(
They did thier best and everyone, even non supporters, should be proud with thier perseverence and competitiveness. :)

Pam
11-07-2008, 06:42 AM
Well there are always two sides to every story and who knows the motives behind the people who are doing all of the gossip right now (second-hand, third-hand, etc). Honestly, the thought of her becoming VP and *gasp* possibly President some day worried me to death. Why can't people just get over it and move on. *sigh*

jennielynn1970
11-07-2008, 07:14 AM
She is a person that believes in the rapture, which is all fine and good; in this case, she will be personally welcoming the raptured into Alaska. Apparently she believes this.

HUH??? You lost me on this one. What's a rapture? :confused:

shais_mom
11-07-2008, 07:26 AM
HUH??? You lost me on this one. :confused:

I just thought I read it wrong but I'm with you - that statement makes no sense.

Grace
11-07-2008, 07:51 AM
HUH??? You lost me on this one. What's a rapture? :confused:

I think it is the second coming of Christ.

moosmom
11-07-2008, 08:01 AM
I also think Sarah Palin is a very beautiful woman who carries herself very well. IF the rumor is true that McCain has stopped communicating with Palin, shame on him! Typical guy behavior. Palin served purpose, now he has no use for her. That's despicable.

RICHARD
11-07-2008, 08:58 AM
I think it is the second coming of Christ.

Correct,

He has to come down and do it all over again, We have royally effed things up since his first visit.

-------------------

Her inability to correctly identify Africa as a continent makes me wonder what they teach in the 57 state's schools.

Cinder & Smoke
11-07-2008, 09:13 AM
[Palin's faith]
She is a person that believes in the rapture ...

Read all about it (Rapture) >>>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapture

Pam
11-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Read all about it (Rapture) >>>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapture

Thank you for clearing that up Phred. I am surprised that so many who label themselves as Christians have never heard of this. Time to dust off the Bible. :)

That said, I believe that Catty1's friends have added their own gossip to the mix. From all that I have read about Gov. Palin she is a Christian. There is not a Christian on the planet that would ever say such as thing as Catty1 posted. That sounds very much like something one would hear from a cult member and, as I said, from all that I have read Mrs. Palin is not a cult member but a Christian.

caseysmom
11-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Thank you for clearing that up Phred. I am surprised that so many who label themselves as Christians have never heard of this. Time to dust off the Bible. :)

That said, I believe that Catty1's friends have added their own gossip to the mix. From all that I have read about Gov. Palin she is a Christian. There is not a Christian on the planet that would ever say such as thing as Catty1 posted. That sounds very much like something one would hear from a cult member and, as I said, from all that I have read Mrs. Palin is not a cult member but a Christian.

No surprise that article is a little catty!

In all seriousness McCain picked her, if she was not qualified that reflects on his judgement not hers. Those who say all she has going for are her looks are in my opinion off base, I really did not care for her but she has accomplished quite a bit, she may not know enough about international politics but she has won over the people of Alaska.

Pam
11-07-2008, 09:51 AM
No surprise that article is a little catty!

In all seriousness McCain picked her, if she was not qualified that reflects on his judgement not hers. Those who say all she has going for are her looks are in my opinion off base, I really did not care for her but she has accomplished quite a bit, she may not know enough about international politics but she has won over the people of Alaska.

Agreed...McCain made the selection and his judgment is to be questioned. I have to wonder, though, why she would have accepted the spot on the ticket. I would never consider accepting a position where I felt unqualified and surely she couldn't have felt qualified with her limited experience. Why would she have wanted to put herself in that position is my big question?

caseysmom
11-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Well most politicians want to work their way up the ladder and what better way to get national exposure. I can't imagine why anyone would want to be in politics at all.

Our govenor had an easy life, not sure why he wanted to take this on. I voted for him and he is a republican :eek: gasp but he hasn't been able to do any better than anyone else now he wants to balance the budget on the backs of the government employees and raise the sales tax.

Alysser
11-07-2008, 10:08 AM
I saw this, and I actually found it quite amusing. But, there was one part that didn't seem really like a big deal to me. She answered the door in her bathrobe. Okay, and your point? She came out of the shower, what do you expect her to be in? :rolleyes:

jennielynn1970
11-07-2008, 12:43 PM

I was baptized Christian, but am not a "practicing" Christian. Not really sure what I'd call myself. I don't really prescribe to any one faith, and would call myself spiritual, not religious.

So... for me, "rapture" has no meaning except for THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHPikUPlRD8).

cyber-sibes
11-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Oh come on, it's just more vindictiveness towards a woman who's shown more poise, guts, and honesty in the spotlight than most politicians do throughout their careers!

How soon the media forgets far more public displays of gaps in knowledge, for instance: Nobody's out to ruin Biden, and look at all the stupid things and misinformation HE spews out! And: "By now you've seen the footage of Barack Obama ruing the fact that he hasn't been able to visit all 57 states in this great union of ours." Does demonstrate Obama is as big an idiot as this would make him seem? No, he's just human and isn't perfect.

So how about cutting Sarah Palin some slack for the same reason?

sparks19
11-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Good God. can't they just let this woman get back to her life and leave her alone. vultures.

shais_mom
11-07-2008, 02:51 PM
I missed the question in Jenn's post, when I quoted it about not knowing what the Rapture is. I know what the Rapture is. It kind of boggles my mind that thousands of years ago God Flooded the earth b/c of people royalling screwing up - when what they were doing THEN is just a drop in the bucket to what they do NOW.

I totally agree with Pam - the statement that Catty posted is a total cult-ish type mentality. THAT is scary.

shais_mom
11-07-2008, 02:53 PM
I saw this, and I actually found it quite amusing. But, there was one part that didn't seem really like a big deal to me. She answered the door in her bathrobe. Okay, and your point? She came out of the shower, what do you expect her to be in? :rolleyes: Sorry to anyone republican, but these are one of the many reasons I could NOT see her helping run this country. She is just one of those people who look stupid, just by looking at her. JMO.
That is incredibly rude and nasty, especially coming from someone so young.. And that has nothing to be with being Republican or Democrat or Independant. What you said is akin to the article ripping her a new one.

Good God. can't they just let this woman get back to her life and leave her alone. vultures.

agreed.
It's over - Let it go.

shais_mom
11-07-2008, 02:59 PM
How soon the media forgets far more public displays of gaps in knowledge, for instance: Nobody's out to ruin Biden, and look at all the stupid things and misinformation HE spews out! And: "By now you've seen the footage of Barack Obama ruing the fact that he hasn't been able to visit all 57 states in this great union of ours." Does demonstrate Obama is as big an idiot as this would make him seem? No, he's just human and isn't perfect.

So how about cutting Sarah Palin some slack for the same reason?

Agreed.
Dan Quail couldn't spell broccoli.
Obama thought there were 57 states.
And Palin didn't realize Africa was a country?
She's human. She makes mistakes and and misspeaks just like everyone else in this world. And that has nothing to do with PARTY AFFILIATION.

JenBKR
11-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Oy - I can't believe I honestly thought that all of this would end when the election was over :rolleyes:

Edwina's Secretary
11-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Agreed.

I don't know if he can spell broccoli but it was potato that he famously misspelled! G. Bush I did not like broccoli!

jennielynn1970
11-07-2008, 04:07 PM
I missed the question in Jenn's post, when I quoted it about not knowing what the Rapture is. I know what the Rapture is. It kind of boggles my mind that thousands of years ago God Flooded the earth b/c of people royalling screwing up - when what they were doing THEN is just a drop in the bucket to what they do NOW.

The rapture was a flood?? I like Blondie's version better. :p

shais_mom
11-07-2008, 04:10 PM
The rapture was a flood?? I like Blondie's version better. :p

No, Rapture will be by Fire if I'm not mistaken. And has not happened yet. It will deem the end of the world.
The Great Flood was when Noah built the ark and brought the animals 2 x 2. Ya know - like Evan Almighty! ;)

shais_mom
11-07-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't know if he can spell broccoli but it was potato that he famously misspelled! G. Bush I did not like broccoli!

thanks Sara :)
I knew a veggie was misspelled but couldn't remember which one.

.sarah
11-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Sorry to anyone republican, but these are one of the many reasons I could NOT see her helping run this country. She is just one of those people who look stupid, just by looking at her. JMO.That is a horrible thing to judge someone by. She can't help the way she looks (and I think she's very beautiful by the way). That's as bad as calling someone fat or ugly, or whatever. And considering how successful she has been as a governor, I wouldn't exactly call her stupid.

Agreed.
Obama thought there were 57 states.
And Palin didn't realize Africa was a country?
She's human. She makes mistakes and and misspeaks just like everyone else in this world. And that has nothing to do with PARTY AFFILIATION.Gosh, thank you! People seem to forget Obama's slip ups so easily. You know, not even thinking, I might accidentally call Africa a country too, even though I KNOW it's a continent. And I'm sure Obama knows there are 50 states, not 57.

Anyway, I agree with Pam, there are two sides to every story. I really wish people would just let her gracefully get back to her job and leave her out of the national spotlight unless if she is wanting to be in it (but since she's declining interviews left and right, I don't think she does).

shais_mom
11-07-2008, 05:17 PM
That is a horrible thing to judge someone by. She can't help the way she looks (and I think she's very beautiful by the way). That's as bad as calling someone fat or ugly, or whatever. And considering how successful she has been as a governor, I wouldn't exactly call her stupid.

Gosh, thank you! People seem to forget Obama's slip ups so easily. You know, not even thinking, I might accidentally call Africa a country too, even though I KNOW it's a continent. And I'm sure Obama knows there are 50 states, not 57.

Anyway, I agree with Pam, there are two sides to every story. I really wish people would just let her gracefully get back to her job and leave her out of the national spotlight unless if she is wanting to be in it (but since she's declining interviews left and right, I don't think she does).

very well said Sarah!
Alysser - keep in mind of your actions and what people think of you. Just b/c your a teenager is no excuse and no one is perfect either. Someday those actions may come back to bite you.
My parents were at a Farm Bureau meeting a few weeks ago and my uncle said he was going to vote for McCain b/c Palin was pretty. :o:eek::o:eek: He got himself allllll kinds of opinions on THAT mentality. But I think he succeeded in what he wanted to do - pi$$ off the people at that meeting.

jennielynn1970
11-07-2008, 05:21 PM
No, Rapture will be by Fire if I'm not mistaken. And has not happened yet. It will deem the end of the world.
The Great Flood was when Noah built the ark and brought the animals 2 x 2. Ya know - like Evan Almighty! ;)

I never watched Evan Almighty. Bruce, yes, lol.

Duh, I can't believe I didn't think of Noah and the Ark. Really good book about the making of the Ark, from a girl's point of view (fiction) is In the Shadow of the Ark (http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Ark-Anne-Provoost/dp/0425202771/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226100064&sr=8-1). It was in my middle school and I sent it up to high school. Very interesting take on the flood and all that, and Noah's family.

caseysmom
11-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Alysser has edited her post, lighten up folks. She did say it was her opinion.

carole
11-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Agreed.

Puckstop31
11-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Wow... The lefties must really be scared of Palin. To be cutting her up like this, AFTER McCain and her got spanked.

Hmmmmm. LOL

Karen
11-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Wow... The lefties must really be scared of Palin. To be cutting her up like this, AFTER McCain and her got spanked.

Hmmmmm. LOL

The sad part, Puckstop, is that all this brouhaha is coming not from "the lefties" but from members of McCain's campaign staff. I guess it is always easier to cast blame than accept responsibility.

Puckstop31
11-07-2008, 07:53 PM
The sad part, Puckstop, is that all this brouhaha is coming not from "the lefties" but from members of McCain's campaign staff. I guess it is always easier to cast blame than accept responsibility.

Fair enough I reckon.

But that what does not kill us, only makes us stronger. To succeed, one must first fail.

Alysser
11-07-2008, 08:48 PM

Thank you, and seriously, it was my opinion. I'm sorry, that's just the way it seems for me and this article also proves my point IMO. And because I'm young, what is the supposed to mean? In an attempt to defend myself, I'm not going to take back what I said. To me it's not judging someone by saying that, and I feel it to be true, I know some people who think this way to. And no it's not just because she's republican. I didn't ask anyone to agree with me, but lately I should have knew I should have bitten my tounge. I've been the target on some other forums for getting involved in political discussions because I'm a teenager. I thought different of this one, oh well.

As I mentioned before, my brother is heavily involved in politics. He has met John Kerry, Obama, Hilary Clinton, Bill Clinton, Barbara Bush, and is actually friends with Wesley Clark. He has also met Palin and he said he doesn't get good vibes from her, he just didn't like her. My brother works for votevets.org was in a commercial against a republican politician, and many other thinks. He fought in the war, I think I know what I'm talking about, I'm pretty educated on the subject. Again you don't have to agree with me, but Palin just isn't what this country needs. I'm not going to take back what I said because that's my opinion and I stand by it. You can think I'm rude and nasty and immature and uneducated on this subject, fine so be it.

Whatever, I'm done posting my opinions and am no longer getting involved with policitical discussion on here.

jennielynn1970
11-07-2008, 08:56 PM

So, it's fine to say whatever you want, whether it be an ignorant statement, because it's your own opinion.

Just want to make sure, so that the next time I make an ignorant statement, you don't jump down my throat. I mean, it will be my opinion and I can state it, right?

Not trying to be argumentative, just want clarification for the future. Honest. :rolleyes:

Puckstop31
11-07-2008, 09:00 PM
So, it's fine to say whatever you want, whether it be an ignorant statement, because it's your own opinion.

Just want to make sure, so that the next time I make an ignorant statement, you don't jump down my throat. I mean, it will be my opinion and I can state it, right?

Not trying to be argumentative, just want clarification for the future. Honest. :rolleyes:

+, like, 1 million.

;)

Catty1
11-07-2008, 09:27 PM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/081107/world/palin_clothing

pssst....Sarah fights back....

Palin denounces her critics as cowardly, defends wardrobe purchases

Fri Nov 7, 7:23 PM

By Dan Joling And Sharon Theimer, The Associated Press
ADVERTISEMENT

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin called her critics cowards and jerks Friday for deriding her anonymously and insisted she never asked for the expensive wardrobe purchased for her use on the presidential campaign.

"I never asked for anything more than a Diet Dr. Pepper once in a while," Palin said as she returned to the governor's office from her two-month odyssey as the Republican vice-presidential nominee. She said the Republican National Committee paid for the tens of thousands of dollars in designer clothes and accessories.

"Those are the RNC's clothes. They're not my clothes. I never forced anybody to buy anything," she said.

Republican party lawyers are still trying to determine exactly what clothing was purchased for Palin at such high-end stores as Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus, what was returned and what has become of the rest.

She particularly lashed out at the anonymous Republican campaign sources cited in a Fox News report who said she did not know Africa was a continent, not a country, and could not name the three countries in the North American Free Trade Agreement: Canada, the United States and Mexico.

"I consider it cowardly" that they did not allow their names to be used, she said.

Palin said those allegations aren't true. She recalled discussing Africa and NAFTA with aides who prepared her for the vice-presidential debate with Democrat Joe Biden.

"If there are allegations based on questions or comments that I made in debate prep about NAFTA, and about the continent versus the country when we talk about Africa there, then those were taken out of context," she said. "That's cruel, It's mean-spirited. It's immature. It's unprofessional and those guys are jerks if they came away with it, taking things out of context and then tried to spread something on national news. It's not fair, and it's not right."

Palin also said she would not call on Senator Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) to resign, although last month, before his re-election bid, she said he should "step aside" and "play a very statesmanlike role in this now." Stevens, 84, was found guilty on seven counts of trying to hide more than $250,000 in free home renovations and other gifts that he received from a wealthy oil contractor.

Three days after the election, Stevens, the longest serving Republican in Senate history, is about 3,500 votes ahead of Democratic challenger Mark Begich with thousands of absentee ballots to be counted in the next two weeks.

Said Palin on Friday: "The Alaska voters have spoken and me not be a dictator, won't be telling anyone what to do."

When asked if she would call on him to resign, Palin said: "Not after the will of the people has been made manifest via that vote."

Meanwhile, RNC lawyers are discussing with Palin whether what's left of the clothing and accessories purchased for her on the campaign trail will go to charity, back to stores or be paid for by Palin, a McCain-Palin campaign official said Friday, speaking on condition of anonymity because the campaign hadn't authorized comment.

The sorting should be completed in the next four or five days, the campaign official said, declining to say whether the RNC was sending anyone to Alaska to help take inventory.

The RNC spent at least $150,000 on designer clothing, accessories and beauty services for Palin after she became John McCain's running mate in September. The spending included $75,062 at Neiman Marcus in Minneapolis; $49,425 at Saks Fifth Avenue; $9,447 at Macy's; and $789 at the luxury retailer Barneys New York. Some of the purchases were for Palin family members, such as $4,902 spent at upscale men's clothier Atelier and $92 at Pacifier, a Minneapolis baby boutique.

The McCain-Palin campaign said about a third of the clothing was returned immediately because it was the wrong size, or for other reasons. However, other purchases were apparently made after that, the campaign official said.

The spending drew a complaint against Palin and the RNC by a Washington government watchdog group. Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington filed a complaint with the Federal Election Commission accusing Palin and the Republican party of violating a federal ban on the use of campaign funds for personal expenses such as clothing.

The RNC didn't respond to repeated requests by The Associated Press for comment Friday.

It's routine for candidates to get professional hair and makeup services at campaign expense before they go on camera, but Palin's shopping spree at Republican donors' expense is unusual. It contrasted with the down-to-earth "hockey mom" image that Palin sought to craft and gave the campaign unwanted publicity in the form of newspaper headlines, Internet chatter and comedians' jokes.

FEC spokesman Bob Biersack declined to comment on the spending beyond confirming that the commission has received the watchdog group's complaint.

.sarah
11-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Thank you, and seriously, it was my opinion. I'm sorry, that's just the way it seems for me and this article also proves my point IMO. And because I'm young, what is the supposed to mean? In an attempt to defend myself, I'm not going to take back what I said. To me it's not judging someone by saying that, and I feel it to be true, I know some people who think this way to. And no it's not just because she's republican. I didn't ask anyone to agree with me, but lately I should have knew I should have bitten my tounge. I've been the target on some other forums for getting involved in political discussions because I'm a teenager. I thought different of this one, oh well.

As I mentioned before, my brother is heavily involved in politics. He has met John Kerry, Obama, Hilary Clinton, Bill Clinton, Barbara Bush, and is actually friends with Wesley Clark. He has also met Palin and he said he doesn't get good vibes from her, he just didn't like her. My brother works for votevets.org was in a commercial against a republican politician, and many other thinks. He fought in the war, I think I know what I'm talking about, I'm pretty educated on the subject. Again you don't have to agree with me, but Palin just isn't what this country needs. I'm not going to take back what I said because that's my opinion and I stand by it. You can think I'm rude and nasty and immature and uneducated on this subject, fine so be it.

Whatever, I'm done posting my opinions and am no longer getting involved with policitical discussion on here.

It's not because you're young. I'm young too, this was the first election I voted in. And, if I could have voted in the last election, when I was 15, I would have, because I had followed it pretty thoroughly and had a clear choice (John Kerry).

Your statement, though, was pretty immature, in my opinion. It IS passing judgement when you are saying someone is something because of the way they look, and not basing it on anything more than that. I can say Joe Biden looks creepy, because he does to me, but that doesn't mean that he's, like, a pedophile or something, or that I would ever think he was unless if he did something of inappropriate nature.

But, now you're saying that you think she's "stupid" because of other things - which is fine. Yes, it's your opinion, and you have a right to think that way. Just like I have a right to think it's ignorant to base your opinion on someone's looks (which is what I originally thought your entire opinion of her was based on, judging by that post alone). I apologize if I upset you and for misunderstanding, but I was only basing my opinion on what you had posted that one time.

On the original topic: I don't think these accusations prove anything. These people won't even reveal who they are. If they would come forward, maybe it would be more believable for me. I have never heard anything about Palin being rude to people, whether it was the media, people helping with the campaign, or supporters. She was always polite in interviews. I'd have to have some evidence or hear from someone who has actually met her and talked with her to believe that she is anything but nice.

And, I haven't read the article, but in watching the news channels: are they really calling her ill-informed just because of the Africa comment, or is there more to it?

ramanth
11-07-2008, 11:49 PM
No, Rapture will be by Fire if I'm not mistaken. And has not happened yet.
I don't know.... California seems to go up in flames quite a bit. ;)

blue
11-07-2008, 11:53 PM
If the MSM was up here offerring $30,000 per story for dirt on Sarah during the campaign, I wonder how much they paid the anonymous sources after the campaign.

shais_mom
11-08-2008, 07:56 AM

true. Its your opinion that she's stupid looking.
true. Its MY opinion that your opinion is hateful and rude.
The young comment has to do with just remember you are only 16 and you have your whole life ahead of you to make stupid mistakes b/c we all do. Just b/c I'm old that's my opinion.

RICHARD
11-08-2008, 10:13 AM
The young comment has to do with just remember you are only 16 and you have your whole life ahead of you to make stupid mistakes b/c we all do.

LOL,

I wish I had done some of the dumb stuff now that I am older.
I spent soooooooo many years trying to forget all the stupid things that I did before I turned 25.

On second thought?

It's better to screw up when you are young. YOu have the rest of your life to fix all the pain and confusion you cause.:eek:

moosmom
11-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it "Potato" that Dan Quail couldn't spell????

RICHARD
11-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it "Potato" that Dan Quail couldn't spell????

You say potato, I say SPELL CHECK!

psst, it's dan qualye.;)

Edwina's Secretary
11-08-2008, 01:21 PM
psst, it's dan qualye.;)

Psst...It is Dan Quayle

sasvermont
11-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Gosh, my hair began to hurt after reading all this about Palin. Let's just hope that she goes back to her routines and her life goes along oh so smoothly. Ugh.

Edwina's Secretary
11-13-2008, 03:18 PM
What a sore loser! According to Ms. Palin McCain/Palin lost because:

1. The media (doesn't that one ever get tired???)
2. They were outspent
3. George Bush.

What a pity she doesn't have McCain's sense of dignity. And how insulting to the voters of this country. Apparently to Ms. Palin we are too stupid to understand the issues and easily persuaded by $$$.

And what an incredible lack of insight if she really doesn't believe that what she and McCain offered was less appealing to the voters! It was the fault of everyone but those who were actually on the ticket.

Don't go away mad Ms. Palin, just PLEASE, go away!

catland
11-13-2008, 03:32 PM
aw gee shucks, ES - you got to admit it is sort of mesmerizing - kind of like a train wreck.:eek: Besides, as long as she is the "new" republican, the dems don't have to worry for a long, long, long time. :rolleyes: Its so funny that now that the election is over she's finally willing to talk to people - she is doing everything it takes to remain on the front page.

btw - wasn't it a certain republican candidate who last spring chided Obama for being nothing more than a celebrity like Britney or Paris! Now look what he has unleashed.

UPDATE - now it sounds like the "Africa is a country" was indeed made up - what's so scary is that we all found it so plausable coming from "I can see Russia from my front yard".;)

lizbud
11-13-2008, 05:13 PM
I can't believe she isn't gone from public view by now. The woman won't
shut up. She is giving interviews to all the news people who ask. If she thinks
she can undo a terrible first impression, it won't work.

Puckstop31
11-13-2008, 06:37 PM
One sample....

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D94DQU5O0&show_article=1

You think this was the ONLY thing they got wrong?

Marigold2
11-13-2008, 06:55 PM
I have read this entire post and no where on here does Aylsser attack any member of PT.
She doesn’t belittle, name call, or say anything mean.
She simply stated her opinion, which she has a perfect right to do, regardless of her age.
As far as saying something against a public figure each and everyone of us at one time has said something unkind about Paris Hilton, Obama, OJ, or the thousands of other famous or infamous people. They are not reading these posts and frankly they don’t give a hill of beans what we say or think.
However other people on PT do. I find it so mean and truly shameful how this young woman was attacked.
She is certainly an intelligent young woman, she is our future.
I think the so called adults should behave as such and stop trying to degrade this young woman.

Edwina's Secretary
11-13-2008, 07:12 PM
I really wish people would just let her gracefully get back to her job and leave her out of the national spotlight unless if she is wanting to be in it (but since she's declining interviews left and right, I don't think she does).

That didn't last long, did it?

shais_mom
11-13-2008, 11:23 PM
I have read this entire post and no where on here does Aylsser attack any member of PT.
She doesn’t belittle, name call, or say anything mean.
She simply stated her opinion, which she has a perfect right to do, regardless of her age.
As far as saying something against a public figure each and everyone of us at one time has said something unkind about Paris Hilton, Obama, OJ, or the thousands of other famous or infamous people. They are not reading these posts and frankly they don’t give a hill of beans what we say or think.
However other people on PT do. I find it so mean and truly shameful how this young woman was attacked.
She is certainly an intelligent young woman, she is our future.
I think the so called adults should behave as such and stop trying to degrade this young woman.

I didn't degrade Alysser, nor did I say she ever attacked any PT member, b/c she didn't. I just don't understand why its ok for some people to give their opinion on something here no matter how rude its ok b/c of their age. But an adult should know better. I've seen a lot of replies from Highly Intelligent ADULTS on here that were UNspeakably rude. Not on this particular thread but others. I often wonder if the Dog House should be renamed to the Snake Pit. :rolleyes:
I didn't agree with your sign switching but didn't call you mean or shameful.

Pam
11-14-2008, 05:09 AM
I can't tell you the last time I read this thread but something made me read the last page today just to catch up.

What a sore loser! According to Ms. Palin McCain/Palin lost because:
3. George Bush.

He is 100% why the republicans lost. There isn't a republican on the planet who could have pulled off the election no matter what kind of ideas he had.

JenBKR
11-14-2008, 06:28 AM
I can't tell you the last time I read this thread but something made me read the last page today just to catch up.

He is 100% why the republicans lost. There isn't a republican on the planet who could have pulled off the election no matter what kind of ideas he had.

Totally agree with you on this Pam! I said last year that it didn't matter who would be the Rep or the Dem running, the Dem would win hands down because of Bush's approval rating. A vote for the Dem would be a vote against Bush.

caseysmom
11-14-2008, 09:14 AM
I didn't degrade Alysser, nor did I say she ever attacked any PT member, b/c she didn't. I just don't understand why its ok for some people to give their opinion on something here no matter how rude its ok b/c of their age. But an adult should know better. I've seen a lot of replies from Highly Intelligent ADULTS on here that were UNspeakably rude. Not on this particular thread but others. I often wonder if the Dog House should be renamed to the Snake Pit. :rolleyes:
I didn't agree with your sign switching but didn't call you mean or shameful.

For me it is different if someone says "in my opinion", which she did.

Edwina's Secretary
11-14-2008, 10:07 AM

Then how does that explain the race was neck and neck for a while? That McCain, after getting the convention bump, was ahead in the race?

100% is a bit of hyperbole. Especially when I have seen you say that Ms. Palin was a problem for you in voting for McCain!

There are people who make a decision based on what the candidate offers, not what party he belongs to.

Puckstop31
11-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Totally agree with you on this Pam! I said last year that it didn't matter who would be the Rep or the Dem running, the Dem would win hands down because of Bush's approval rating. A vote for the Dem would be a vote against Bush.

Well..... If approval ratings mattered that much, why did the Dems win gains in Congress? Remember, Congress has a lower approval rating than even President Bush.

Pam
11-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Then how does that explain the race was neck and neck for a while? That McCain, after getting the convention bump, was ahead in the race?

100% is a bit of hyperbole. Especially when I have seen you say that Ms. Palin was a problem for you in voting for McCain!

There are people who make a decision based on what the candidate offers, not what party he belongs to.

I see the fluctuation in the polls primarily due to many republicans who wavered back and forth and remained undecided almost until the end. Everyone wanted "change" but many weren't, and still aren't, sure what kind of change Obama would bring. Obama's inflammatory pastor and associations with other questionable people no doubt caused some bumps in McCain's favor, but it was not to last because of his connection to Bush. In the end it was Bush who brought him down.

Yes, Sarah Palin was a problem for me and I feel he delivered the final death blow to his campaign in selecting her but, in all honesty, I think he still would have lost no matter who was in the VP slot.

I agree totally with your last comment. I have voted for both Democrats and Republicans in the past. I am by no means a "party person." (I guess Richard will have some fun with that last comment. :p )

JenBKR
11-14-2008, 11:08 AM
Well..... If approval ratings mattered that much, why did the Dems win gains in Congress? Remember, Congress has a lower approval rating than even President Bush.

Actually, I didn't realize that they were lower. Maybe the ratings don't matter that much, but it seemed to me that many many people were wanting change, and they saw McCain as the same. Probably the same reason that Congress because so democratic a few years ago.

RICHARD
11-14-2008, 11:23 AM
I see the fluctuation in the polls

Nope, I am going right to the top...

I had a great deal of respect for you until you started to watch pornography.
Fluctuation? YOU should be ashamed of yourself!:eek:

MoonandBean
11-14-2008, 11:28 AM
He just couldn't help himself...:D