PDA

View Full Version : Sigh. Look what just found me. *Update 11/8* post #58

Medusa
11-06-2008, 04:22 PM
My neighbor rang my doorbell and asked if I was missing an orange cat. Creamsicle was in the basement w/the rest of the Fur Posse because I'm still having work done on my house, so I knew she was safe. I walked over to his property and this sweet boy came trotting over to meet me. He's obviously not feral; he's way too friendly. My neighbor's wife fed him twice and he said "I hate cats! I don't want him around here. This is my domain. He'll pee on my firewood and then it'll stink when I burn it". I said "Ok, I get it. You don't like cats but you don't hurt them, do you?" He said "I've been known to kick cats". Can you believe he admitted that to me? I told him "I have a doll at home w/little pins and your name on it". He said "I'm totally protected". I said "You think so, huh?" (Listen to the crazy cat lady making threats to the ex-military guy.) So this little boy followed me home so easily that I was able to put him in my garage. I still have a dog house from my rescue days, so I made it up nice and cozy for him, fed him just a little and gave him some water and provided a litter box. I tried to take better pix but he won't stay still long enough to let me.

Dr. Lee is squeezing me in tomorrow. I'm having him tested and if he's clear, then I'm having him neutered. It's going to be an expense that I hadn't counted on, that's for sure. Problem is, after he's all done, then what? I can't keep him and I don't want my neighbor near him. My son will kill me if I take in another cat and, to be honest, I don't want another one. I've got too many expenses and w/Pidge sick, I have to make sure I have enough money set aside for her care. People make me sick sometimes. I've been calling him Buddy, just because he's become a little buddy already. I'll try to take better pix of him later, when he's groggy from his weeny whack.

Grace
11-06-2008, 04:33 PM
I was thinking he might have been sent by Puddy?

lvpets2002
11-06-2008, 04:36 PM
:love: Oh Buddy your so Adorable.. You look just like my Skid Mathius.. Now wittle boy you need to google eye Mary alot && then she will give in & keep you..:D

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/lvpets2002/005-15.jpg

catmandu
11-06-2008, 04:51 PM
I PRAY THAT YOU CAN TAKE HIM IN, OR FIND THAT OWESOME ORANGE CAT A HOME.
I STILL MISS ROADBLOCK, ORANGE BLOSSOM , ORANGIE AND THE ORANGESTER STRAY ORANGE CATS WHO NEVER GOT TO BE FOUND CATS.
:(:(:(:(
HE LOOKS LIKE A GRETA CAT , BUDDY DOES.
I NEVER ARGUE WITH JERKS LIKE YOUR NEIGHBOR.
MY DEAR MOTHER SIAD ITS LIKE WRESTLING WITH A PIG, YOU BOTH GET DIRTY AND THE PIGS HAVING A GOOD TIME :)
I CANNOT UNDERSTAND PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO COMPASSION.:(:(
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/meowies1387.jpg

Medusa
11-06-2008, 04:53 PM
I was thinking he might have been sent by Puddy?

I know, I'm trying not to think that way. I honestly cannot afford another cat. I just can't. I'm calling out favors to my old rescue friends around here but, so far, no takers. I'm footing the bill for his tests, shots and neutering, if they'll just give him a home. It's supposed to snow this weekend and he was sitting in the middle of my neighbor's yard, just huddled there, poor boy.

Medusa
11-06-2008, 04:54 PM
I PRAY THAT YOU CAN TAKE HIM IN, OR FIND THAT OWESOME ORANGE CAT A HOME.
I STILL MISS ROADBLOCK, ORANGE BLOSSOM , ORANGIE AND THE ORANGESTER STRAY ORANGE CATS WHO NEVER GOT TO BE FOUND CATS.
:(:(:(:(
HE LOOKS LIKE A GRETA CAT , BUDDY DOES.
I NEVER ARGUE WITH JERKS LIKE YOUR NEIGHBOR.
MY DEAR MOTHER SIAD ITS LIKE WRESTLING WITH A PIG, YOU BOTH GET DIRTY AND THE PIGS HAVING A GOOD TIME :)
I CANNOT UNDERSTAND PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO COMPASSION.:(:(
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/meowies1387.jpg

Oh, I'll foster him til I find him a home, Gary, no worries there. He's too friendly; there's no way I'm letting him back outdoors. This boy will get hurt. He's safe now until I can find him a home.

jennielynn1970
11-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Your neighbor sounds like he needs the "weeny whack" procedure himself, lol.

He's gorgeous Mary! I love orange tabbies!

Zachariah, a fellow orange tabby, says Hi! and Welcome to Pt, Buddy!!

Grace
11-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Looking at that picture of him again. Doesn't it look like he had been wearing a collar at one time?

Bet he was dumped by someone.

Lizzie
11-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Looking at that picture of him again. Doesn't it look like he had been wearing a collar at one time?

Bet he was dumped by someone.

Yes, it does look like a collar indentation. While he might have been dumped, he could also have slipped his collar and actually has a home. He looks to be in pretty good condition. I had a big orange ex-tom, dumped by neighbors, who used to slip his snap-collars all the time. I'm going to assume with all your experience that you will be posting "found cat" posters.

Your rescue friends shouldn't mind at least posting him for you. Within my rescue group, it's always a relief when a new rescue turns out to be a young, friendly marmalade boy because they are usually adopted within a week.

Glad you were there to whisk him away to a friendly foster place. Have you considered getting some skunk oil and sneaking it onto your neighbor's logs?

Medusa
11-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Yes, it does look like a collar indentation. While he might have been dumped, he could also have slipped his collar and actually has a home. He looks to be in pretty good condition. I had a big orange ex-tom, dumped by neighbors, who used to slip his snap-collars all the time. I'm going to assume with all your experience that you will be posting "found cat" posters.

Your rescue friends shouldn't mind at least posting him for you. Within my rescue group, it's always a relief when a new rescue turns out to be a young, friendly marmalade boy because they are usually adopted within a week.

Glad you were there to whisk him away to a friendly foster place. Have you considered getting some skunk oil and sneaking it onto your neighbor's logs?

Yes, I thought that perhaps he had a collar at one time. He's really healthy; no sneezing or coughing, no runny eyes, no dirty ears. He's a regular purr machine and love sponge. Whether he belongs to anyone or not, though, he's getting neutered. I don't want to see a bunch of orange babies running around, especially w/my redneck neighbor who kicks cats. I'm going to have them check, too, to see if he's microchipped but I doubt that because the houses that I think he may have come from are, well, never mind. I'm going to look for "lost cat" posters tomorrow and if no one comes forward, I'll make some and post them after he's home from being neutered. This couldn't come at a worse time. My house is all torn up because I'm having work done in my family room and the workers need the garage to set up and I can't bring Buddy in because of the Fur Posse.

I'm trying hard not to fall in love again but his purr is identical to Puddy's. She had a two-toned purr, a low rumble mixed w/a high pitched sound. It was really sweet and it makes me cry just thinking about it. I took a few more pix. I called my friend who is trying hard to stop rescuing. Her husband is having fits because they have 8 of their own and are fostering 8 more. Her daughters fell for Buddy instantly and he fell asleep in their laps. Adorable.

Medusa
11-06-2008, 06:35 PM
One of my old rescue contacts told me to bring Buddy to their house and they would see to it that he gets all tests, shots and neutered for free. I can hardly believe it. These people have a fondness for orange cats and the pix did it. I'm taking him there tomorrow afternoon after I meet w/the workers here at my house. I feel better knowing that he'll get good vet care and I'll have extra money for Pidge in case I need it.

Grace
11-06-2008, 06:47 PM
And will you get visitation privileges?

Wonderful news - that gorgeous creature just wants to love and be loved.

Freedom
11-06-2008, 07:06 PM
My goodness, you moved quickly!

He is quite handsome! Best wishes, dear boy.

Medusa
11-06-2008, 07:08 PM
And will you get visitation privileges?

Wonderful news - that gorgeous creature just wants to love and be loved.

Well, they're going to do the tests, shots, worming, flea prevention and neutering. I'll get Buddy back after that unless his owner comes forward or he gets placed. I was just concerned about tomorrow because I have nowhere to put him after tonight. He can't come indoors because of the Fur Posse and I can't keep him in the garage because the workers will be there. This family will take excellent care of him. They have 6 of their own and they'll keep him in their garage until the rescue agency takes over. Then Buddy will go back to them for recuperation and then back to me unless, as I said, his owner comes forward or he gets placed. I'm already sad. I'm gonna miss him! I fell fast!

Medusa
11-06-2008, 07:10 PM
My goodness, you moved quickly!

He is quite handsome! Best wishes, dear boy.

Well, I just happened to hit the jackpot this time. He couldn't be in better hands, believe me.

jenluckenbach
11-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Good work!! He is quite a cutie! :love:

Medusa
11-06-2008, 08:00 PM
I went out to the garage and spent a little more time w/him. He let me brush him and clip his front claws which were like hypodermic needles. Upon closer inspection I noticed that his whiskers on the left side are broken off and his fur was a little crusty as though he may have been in a fight, I don't know. He hopped on my lap immediately and fell asleep. Now he's out there crying. Poor boy misses the attention now.

cassiesmom
11-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Yay, that sounds like a great arrangement!

His purr is identical to Puddy's
Awwww... maybe she sent him? I hope he can stay if it works out that way.

kimlovescats
11-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Awwww, a widdle orangie!!!! THANK YOU so much for taking him in ... and getting him all fixed up! (((HUGS)))

carole
11-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Aww Mary he is adorable, i am so glad he came by your house, he is a very smart kitty indeed, or is there that sign above your house that only kitties can see, like at my house, that say's welcome with open arms lol, I am so happy he will be so well taken care of by your rescue friends, good luck in finding him his permanent home.:love:

Taz_Zoee
11-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Aww, he is adorable. And looks like such a lover. I hope if he does have a family that they can be reunited. And if not, I hope he gets a wonderful furrever home. :D
Thank you for saving him from the cat kicker next door. (I loved what Jennie said about having him weeny whacked too, LOL!)

Emeraldgreen
11-06-2008, 11:28 PM
How wonderful that he found you!! :) I'm so glad that he is safe from your neighbour. Maybe he was all talk but it's not worth risking. What a relief that the rescue org you contacted will take care of all the expenses for getting him neutered, vaccinated and dewormed.
I hope he finds a good home but if he has to come back to your place at some point after he recovers, will your garage be available then?
That is neat that he has the same double toned purr as Puddy. Hmmm... ;)
Keep us posted on Mr. Orangey Pants!

Medusa
11-07-2008, 04:35 AM
How wonderful that he found you!! :) I'm so glad that he is safe from your neighbour. Maybe he was all talk but it's not worth risking. What a relief that the rescue org you contacted will take care of all the expenses for getting him neutered, vaccinated and dewormed.
I hope he finds a good home but if he has to come back to your place at some point after he recovers, will your garage be available then?
That is neat that he has the same double toned purr as Puddy. Hmmm... ;)
Keep us posted on Mr. Orangey Pants!

I don't think my neighbor is all talk. He told me once before that he hates cats but he didn't say anything about kicking them until this time. I believe him. My garage should be available by the time Buddy gets taken care of. I put the space heater out there last night. He didn't seem to want to go in the shelter that I had prepared for him; he stayed on the blanket that I sat on that I put on my garage door step. He's such a little love nugget, you just have no idea.

orangemm
11-07-2008, 05:11 AM
I shudder to think what could have happened if you hadn't been around and your neighbor got angry at this sweet boy. LOVE an orangie; the one orangie I had was the most lovable cat ever.

This guy is so lucky that you were there to rescue him and you are lucky that you have such wonderful friends. Those pix were so sweet. He definitely is a loverboy!

Bless you, Mary..............:love::love:

Give Buddy some scritches for me..........

Killearn Kitties
11-07-2008, 05:12 AM
What an adorable boy! I hope everythings works out for him, and you!

phesina
11-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Mary, I will be glad to help with expenses for him or for unforeseen needs for Pidge.

I wonder if the "owner" should get him back. What were they doing letting an intact male roam around outside? Perhaps he was let out mistakenly by a visitor?

Pat

GILL
11-07-2008, 09:00 AM
That’s great news.
I love the attitude of the Torti.
The caring of the White
The aloofness of the Black
The cuddles of the Gray
But the Orange will steal your hart.

RICHARD
11-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Weeny Whack? Love Nugget?

Sister, you are out of your mind!;)

Can I put the in the Furrminology Thread?:D

Catty1
11-07-2008, 10:31 AM
I hope an owner is found...preferably a WORRIED one who really cares.

Some people wait til a kitty is older before they neuter him. My Cole appeared on an acreage near where I worked at the time...dumped at 8 or 9 months of age. He would have been spraying at the time, though he was kept in a large dog cage with all the amenities and never did that. (He was so sweet! Meowed for attention if he heard people nearby!:) ) I think he was dumped because he started spraying.:(:mad:

I am glad Buddy has a great place to stay - things will work out wonderfully for him with a former owner or a new one. :)

smokey the elder
11-07-2008, 10:36 AM
My group found an orange cat stuck in a tree who ended up belonging to some folks who said that he kept getting stuck in the same tree!

Buddy looks like a mush.

Medusa
11-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Things are going so smoothly that it's almost scary. He's getting neutered today and I've decided that, if no owner comes forward, that I'm keeping this boy. He's just too much of a lovey. I fell for him instantly. The entire way to the foster home he was such a good boy. I put my fingers through the front of the carrier and he rubbed up against them, purring all the while. If I had to remove my hand, he'd reach his paw through and tap my arm as if to say "Hey, Buddy needs attention here!" I can't let him go. I'll figure out whatever lie, er uh, rather, I mean what sob story to tell my son later. LOL I gave Buddy a big hug before I left and told him "Don't be afraid. We're going to take good care of you and I'll see you tomorrow, Buddy". He was still purring like a motorboat when I left. :love::D

Taz_Zoee
11-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Seriously!?! See others were right, Puddy did send him to you. :D :D
This is so exciting!!!
Of course if the owners come forward it will be great for them to be reunited. (Silently hoping no owners appear.;))

Medusa
11-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Mary, I will be glad to help with expenses for him or for unforeseen needs for Pidge.

I wonder if the "owner" should get him back. What were they doing letting an intact male roam around outside? Perhaps he was let out mistakenly by a visitor?

Pat

Oh Pat, thank you, that's very generous of you. However, I just posted about him and how smoothly things are going. My ex-husband told me he dropped a check for $500 in the mail for Buddy. Excellent! And since I'm having work done on my house, I haven't been cooking because of all the mess and the workers are here late, so I stopped by to get some take out chicken and when I went to pay at the window and the price was $1.00 less than last time and I asked why and she said "I recognized your voice and you always order the same thing so I thought I'd give you a discount". Pretty cool, huh? Talk about the Law of Abundance! Life is looking pretty sweet! I'm gonna have an orange set of bookends. LOL :)

jazzcat
11-07-2008, 12:38 PM
What a handsome orange guy and he looks so sweet. I'm glad it's all working out.

orangemm
11-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Oh Mary, I am so glad to hear that! Buddy obviously is a very sweet cat in need of a loving home. I would have fallen for him, too........

Lucky Buddy! Lucky you!!

Anikaca77
11-07-2008, 01:36 PM
OH Mary THATS GREAT!!!

I sent you a PM!

I'm so happy for you!!!

Melissa

jennielynn1970
11-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Awe.... and YAY!!!!!!

Medusa
11-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Just got a call. Buddy has feline leukemia. They ran the tests, then put him under anesthesia to neuter him. (Why they didn't wait for test results, I have no idea.) Anyhow, they called and said that they know I always want to be w/a cat when it's put to sleep but Buddy was already out and to let him wake up, then euthanize him just wouldn't be right. So I had to let him go. My friend is bringing him to me tomorrow and he'll bury him in my back yard next to Peeka and Puddy. My heart is in my throat. I feel like this is all a terrible nightmare.

Husky_mom
11-07-2008, 01:46 PM
I´m so sorry.... but you did gave him the best last moments.... and he purred his gratitude towards you....

Taz_Zoee
OH NO!!! This is just heartbreaking news. I can't believe this. :(:(
I am in such shock I can't even think straight.
Mary, I am sooo very sorry. Many hugs coming from me.

Grace
I'm so sorry.

Why on earth would they automatically euthanize because of FeLeuk? Many, many cats live long, healthy lives with it.

orangemm
11-07-2008, 02:02 PM
OH NO. What a cruel twist. Mary, I am so sorry; my heart is breaking with yours.

RIP little Buddy..............:(:(:(

(((((hugs))))) Mary..............

jazzcat
11-07-2008, 02:22 PM
:(:(:( Well that is just heartbreaking!

I'm so sorry Mary.

pomtzu
11-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Oh no! And I thought this was going to have a happy ending. Poor little guy - but he knew your love for a short while anyway.

RIP Buddy! :love:

Prairie Purrs
11-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Oh, no. I'm so sad for you and poor sweet Buddy. I'm terribly sorry that it turned out this way--it's so unfair.

Medusa
11-07-2008, 02:45 PM
I'm so sorry.

Why on earth would they automatically euthanize because of FeLeuk? Many, many cats live long, healthy lives with it.

Who would have taken him? I couldn't risk my Fur Posse's health and the foster family have 6 of their own and 19 fosters, one of which is FIV positive and is in isolation. We've been trying for months to find him a home but no one will take him. Someone who has no pets more than likely won't want an FeLV or FIV cat either. If I had kept him, he would've been awfully lonely because he would've been isolated in my garage and he was too friendly for that. I'm just heartsick over this. I got so excited, like a little girl, and even still, I looked at the grocery store, pharmacy, etc. for posters saying "lost cat" just in case he was a runaway, praying all the while that no one would come forward. I can't recall when I've seen a sweeter cat. Why is it that the ones who appear to be the healthiest are the ones who aren't? And the sickest ones that we think probably won't make it, do?

jennielynn1970
11-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Oh my gosh. How tragic. :(:(

He could have lived a healthy life for quite a long time.

Play hard at the bridge sweetie. You left too soon. :(

eta: I know it would have been next to impossible to find him a foster home with FeLV. it's just so sad for both you and the kitty.

Anikaca77
11-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Oh Mary. It is never easy but you have to think that you gave him so much joy in that little time. Mary please know my prays are with you.

Melissa

GILL
11-07-2008, 03:50 PM
I am so so sorry for you.

Catty1
11-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Oh no...I don't even want to read the update. :(

RIP sweet handsome boy; you were loved, you were loved. :love::(

Queen of Poop
11-07-2008, 06:00 PM
This is just so darn sad. I can't stop crying for you both. I am so sorry.

phesina
11-07-2008, 07:03 PM
I am so very, very sorry.

Hugs to you, Mary.

Love, Pat and cats

jenluckenbach
11-07-2008, 07:15 PM
I am SO sorry. :(:(

Emeraldgreen
11-07-2008, 08:37 PM
I'm so sorry!! This is awful. :(
If you hadn't taken him in, he would have had a very cold winter on his own. At least he knew love and affection before leaving this earth. :love:

RICHARD
11-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Ugh, cannot even put my thoughts into words.

Good vibes sent out your way.:(

Moesha
11-07-2008, 10:34 PM
How terribly sad. I saw the post in the memorial thread first and had no idea what had happened. I'm so sorry!

krazyaboutkatz
11-07-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm just now reading this thread and I'm so sorry to hear this.:( RIP sweet Buddy.:(

Medusa
11-08-2008, 04:16 AM
I went to bed early; the ordeal just exhausted me, but I didn't sleep well and finally gave up at 4:30 AM and got up. Thought I might sleep in this morning but no luck. This thing is haunting me. I have a sick feeling that Buddy wasn't FeLV at all. I think that they rushed his neutering and that he died on the operating table. I have nothing to base it on, just instinct. They don't do intake on Fridays, they were squeezing me in as a favor. Four years ago, when I was finishing rescue and moving into this house, I still had several cats to alter and place and one of them, Sox, died while being spayed. The vet was very cold about it all; she called me and I thought she was going to tell me when I could pick Sox up but instead she said "Your cat died". Period. Boom. It turned out that Sox had a URI and she knew it but did the surgery anyhow. I didn't know it; she wasn't sniffly or anything or I wouldn't have taken the chance. I know that some vets do what they call Good Samaritan work but some resent it and she was one of them. I never went to her again. I just have the feeling deep in my gut that's what happened to Buddy. This isn't to disparage vets; God knows I love mine, even if I do have issues w/the staff on occasion. Buddy just looked and acted too darned healthy and I feel a big gaping hole in this house. It was made ready for him. I was even prepared for pee wars w/my males but this boy softened my heart to the point where I thought "Hmmm, Pidge isn't gonna like having Buddy in bed w/us but he's such a snuggler that I can't resist him". This whole thing just isn't sitting right w/me.

pomtzu
11-08-2008, 07:27 AM
This thing is haunting me. I have a sick feeling that Buddy wasn't FeLV at all. I think that they rushed his neutering and that he died on the operating table. I have nothing to base it on, just instinct. This whole thing just isn't sitting right w/me.

Aw Mary, please don't feel that way. You can't beat yourself up over this. Perhaps it's just that you've been thru so much these past few months with Puddy and Pidge, that has you feeling very vulnerable right now. You'll never know for sure if this is what happened - just know that you did what was right and best for Buddy - and know that he is happy and healthy at The Bridge. Puddy will tell him all about you and what a wonderful cat Mommy you are. :love:

phesina
11-08-2008, 07:49 AM
My very deepest sympathy, Mary.

shais_mom
11-08-2008, 07:53 AM
I'm so sorry Mary.
**hugs**

columbine
11-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Aw Mary, please don't feel that way. You can't beat yourself up over this. Perhaps it's just that you've been thru so much these past few months with Puddy and Pidge, that has you feeling very vulnerable right now. You'll never know for sure if this is what happened - just know that you did what was right and best for Buddy - and know that he is happy and healthy at The Bridge. Puddy will tell him all about you and what a wonderful cat Mommy you are. :love:I have to agree. Humans fish deep for ways to assign blame in time of tragedy, so that we can tighten our circle of trust and perhaps avert the next one. But random horrors are often just that, random, and there never was a thing you could have done.

Love, Columbine

kt_luvs_kitties
11-09-2008, 01:27 AM
I am so sorry Mary.

RIP Buddy.:(

cassiesmom
11-09-2008, 08:17 PM
[[[[[[HUGS]]]]]]for Medusa

kimlovescats
11-09-2008, 09:07 PM
I am so very sorry! My vet ALWAYS recommends euthanasia with a positive test result. Trust me, once a kitty becomes symptomatic with feline leukemia, it's not pretty. Try to find comfort in knowing that you prevented him from ever knowing the suffering of his illness. He came inside, loved you and yours, then went to sleep! No pain, no suffering!

((((((((HUGS)))))))))

rg_girlca
11-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Oh Mary, I am just seeing this thread now and I am so saddened by the outcome. Buddy was such an adorable cat.
Please don't second guess what you think might have happened to him, as you know cats with Feline Leukemia, look very healthy and can live for years with this disease. Personally, I agree with the others that say you made the right choice for him.

Kimlovescats said it best: " Try to find comfort in knowing that you prevented him from ever knowing the suffering of his illness. He came inside, loved you and yours, then went to sleep! No pain, no suffering!"

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}