PDA

View Full Version : Frontline not working :(

Pam
11-06-2008, 02:38 PM
I was just petting Bella a few minutes ago and guess what was buried beneath the curls on top of her head????? A tick!!! :eek::eek: Yes, it is attached and slightly enlarged (engorged) and her last Frontline treatment was just five days ago. Anyone else have this happen? Why didn't this tick die???? :mad::mad:

mr.chiwawa
11-06-2008, 03:17 PM
The only thing I can come up with is if she has had a bath or gotten the area of the frontline wet within the last 5 days. My vet has told me that if the area gets wet the treatment is voided out. Thus why no baths for Mister when he gets his. Other then that it hasnt happened here. And I cant think of any other reasons why its wouldnt have worked. Hope she is ok and maybe your vet has more answers. I would just call and ask. Oh and thanks for the nice lovies you sent me. I feel your husbands pain they did both mine yesterday and I am hurting....

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
11-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Yeah, no baths two days before or two days after putting Frontline on.

Other than that, I'm a groomer, and I heard a customer say that Frontline is losing its punch, that fleas/ticks are becoming immune to it. Who knows?

critter crazy
11-06-2008, 03:57 PM
I dont know what the deal with front;ine is, but lately I have heard alot of people talking about finding ticks, while using frontline. :(

carole
11-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Well i use Advantage, for all my four kitties, so far no problems, all is well, and if anyone would be bitten here , it would be me, and i am fine.,maybe look into changing to advantage multi or resolution.

Kfamr
11-06-2008, 04:17 PM
It seems here I have to switch back and forth between Frontline and Advantage. If I use one for more than a couple months, the fleas/ticks become immune to it or something.

Pam
11-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Her last bath was probably over three weeks ago and I was planning to give her one next week, so the area has not gotten wet. Thankfully she gets the Lyme vaccine each year so she should be OK. The vet said Frontline should always be backed up with the vaccine so I am glad I always get that done. This stuff is not cheap and it makes me mad that it didn't work. Of course the idea that ticks get a free ride into my house makes me mad too. :mad:

Kay, does Advantage kill ticks too? They are a problem here since I have woods behind my house.

Kfamr
11-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Ack, unfortunately, it does not. It slipped my mind, sorry. I've yet to ever find a tick on one of my dogs, so I've never had to research tick preventatives.

Luckily, so far this year, I haven't had to use Frontline OR Advantage on my dogs - I've yet to find a single flea! :eek:

beeniesmom
11-06-2008, 04:48 PM
It seems here I have to switch back and forth between Frontline and Advantage. If I use one for more than a couple months, the fleas/ticks become immune to it or something.

Me too with mine. I even use bio spot sometimes. Good for mosquitos too.

scrain2329
11-06-2008, 08:20 PM
I found a flea on kaysha yesterday! She got a flea bath, as well as the other 2 AND they have had frontline on time. With the other 2 being in the fields hunting we get nervous they will bring ticks in. It didnt work for the flea! Just one, but we all know what just 1 can mean.
Hopefully everything is ok!

jazzcat
11-06-2008, 10:08 PM
I changed my Dad's cat from Advantage to Frontline this summer and I noticed last week she had a few fleas. I hadn't missed a dose and her next one wasn't due for a couple of weeks. I am not impressed with Frontline. I'll be switching her back to Advantage even though it doesn't kill ticks.

K9karen
11-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Yikes! I know you freaked out, Pam!
Thankfully, I've never found a tick on Mz Logan (I use Advantage), nor any other pest, so I thank my lucky stars. It's all I need right now.

I would write to the company. Honestly, that stuff is so expensive, it's ridiculous. I'd demand an explanation.

chocolatepuppy
11-07-2008, 05:00 AM
I use Frontline Plus and never had a problem. *knocks on wood* Pam, are you using Frontline or Frontline Plus?

cyber-sibes
11-07-2008, 06:26 AM
I guess nothings 100%. I've always used Frontline Plus but last year Jack had a tick behind his ear.

If it's a deer tick, if it's removed within 48 hours, it doesn't transmit Lyme disease. We live in a high-Lyme area, so mine also get Lyme vaccinations. Our vet said it may not prevent the disease, but will lessen the severity of the symptoms. It's a much worse disease for people than it is for dogs, so a big worry is that the dog brings the ticks into contact with humans.

I tried K9 Avantix, but Star developed burn-like skin rashes everywhere I had put a drop, so I'm sticking with Frontline Plus.

Pam
11-07-2008, 06:30 AM
I use Frontline Plus and never had a problem. *knocks on wood* Pam, are you using Frontline or Frontline Plus?

I always bought Frontline and when I purchased the last box they were out of it so I bought Frontline Plus which makes this whole thing even more strange. I think I just might write the company about this. If they get negative mail on this they make take another look at their product and there is no way for them to know unless dissatisfied consumers inform them.

caseysmom
11-07-2008, 06:37 PM
I spray the dogs with ovitrol if we are going camping, we don't have ticks at our home. The vet my daughter volunteered with loved the stuff, if you put your dog on a white sheet and then spray them you can tell if they have fleas, the fleas jump right off.