PDA

View Full Version : A new Dog in the Whitehouse

Bonny
11-06-2008, 08:30 AM
What kind of dog do you think the Obama girls should pick out to live in the Whitehouse & be there puppy dog? Should they pick out a rescue dog? Should they start from scratch with a pup or start out with a mature older dog? I was watching the Today show & a Goldendoddle was mentioned. The goldendoodle was medium sized & I was impressed with it. What do you all think?:)

Barbara
11-06-2008, 08:36 AM
A rescue dog - and why not take a kitty in or two:D

Alysser
11-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Personally, I think he should take on a shelter dog because it will encourage people to adopt rather then by a dog from a breeder. I WISH so bad they would adopt a Pitbull, do you know how good that would look for the breed? :D Either way, I'm excited to see who Obama chooses to join his family.

caseysmom
11-06-2008, 09:24 AM
I see a standard poodle from a poodle rescue...of course they are my new favorite breed:D

RedHedd
11-06-2008, 10:06 AM
It should be a shelter dog. The girls have allergies so a Goldendoodle would be perfect.

Pam
11-06-2008, 10:06 AM
I think a rescue dog would send a powerful message. Caseysmom, I like your suggestion! ;)

lvpets2002
11-06-2008, 10:34 AM
A rescue dog - and why not take a kitty in or two:D

:love: Woo Hoo oh yes a Cat or two also.. Oh I so much hope they Adopt from a shelter or rescue group..

elizabethann
11-06-2008, 11:17 AM
I thought I read that one of the girls is allergic so they have to get a hypo-allergenic dog?

If that's not the case, I think a mutt would be awesome!

sparks19
11-06-2008, 12:17 PM
I thought I read that one of the girls is allergic so they have to get a hypo-allergenic dog?

I believe this is the case. So I think some kind of poodle or poodle mix.

I think they should get a dog that is still young but not a teeny little pu ppy. someone on another forum mentioned .... imagine having to rush a puppy outside to pee while potty training in that enormous place lol.

I think obama did mention rescue... I hope they choose to still go with that.

lvpets2002
11-06-2008, 12:22 PM

:) Now that you say Mutt == you can go on MSN & vote for which dog you would preferr them to adopt && there was a Cute Wittle Mutt that I voted for that was with a Rescue Group.. This baby is also the Number 1 pick..

k9krazee
11-06-2008, 12:35 PM
I hope they don't go with a "Goldendoodle". :(

This is what I found on ABCnews...

Just one day after Barack Obama became president-elect, the Obamas have announced that they will in fact get a dog -- an adopted one at that. Michelle Obama told Entertainment Tonight recently that the family would welcome a rescue dog to the White House if Obama was elected, so now it it just a matter of what kind of pooch the family will pick. The Obamas received a petition with 50,000 signatures from the People for Ethical Treatment of Animals asking the family to adopt a dog instead of buying a pet or having one bred.

Freedom
11-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Going through rescue would be terrific. :D

I know many worry that which ever breed they select will have a sudden flood of adoptions, not all appropriate. :(

Kirsten
11-06-2008, 02:38 PM
I hope they'll get a rescue dog, that would be a great signal. :)

I read in a newspaper today that they will get the puppy already next week. I hope the new dog will become a wonderful new friend to the two Obama girls.

Kirsten

moosmom
11-06-2008, 04:01 PM
An ABSOLUTE shelter puppy. Let this be a Cinderella ending.

carole
11-06-2008, 04:24 PM
ok does anyone know if they did indeed adopt a shelter puppy, i sure hope they did, would send a very good message to the public.:)

Brymitt
11-06-2008, 11:35 PM
A Great Dane because they make a great statement but are gentle & loving with low energy which are great for a busy lifestyle. Therefore the time spent with them doesn't have to be about play.

If the allergies are mild, the girls will be fine with a Dane. I have allergies & have been fine with our 2 dogs & cat. I detest resorting meds unless washing my hands & face doesn't bring it under control.

Also it should NOT be one of the standard AKC recognized show colors. This makes as much a statement as the dog itself.
Take the Blue Merle (Grey with Black spots) for example: You get some Merles when trying to breed for a Harlequin (White with Black spots) A few decades ago they were drowned as being undesirable. Now the AKC recognizes them as Harlequin breeding stock but still can't be in shows.

IRescue452
11-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Hadn't they already settled on a labradoodle months ago? I do believe allergies are involved.

Karen
11-06-2008, 11:50 PM
They have talked about adopting a rescue dog, so it will probably be whichever one they fall in love with and is non-shedding so their allergies won't be aggravated.

pomtzu
11-07-2008, 07:06 AM
I too heard that they will pick a rescue, and yes, one of the girls has allergies. The Dog Whisperer was recommending a Bichon - how about that Sandie?? :) Then again I heard someone suggest a PitBull and name it Lipstick! :eek:

beeniesmom
11-07-2008, 04:33 PM
I think he's getting a shelter dog :)

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2008/11/07/bash.palin.fallout.cnn

lvpets2002
11-07-2008, 04:37 PM
I too heard that they will pick a rescue, and yes, one of the girls has allergies. The Dog Whisperer was recommending a Bichon - how about that Sandie?? :) Then again I heard someone suggest a PitBull and name it Lipstick! :eek:

:)Thank you for my good laugh today.. A PitBull named LipStick..:p I am chuckling my head off..:D

Karen
11-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Barack Obama, it is being reported all over the media today, said they would definitely be getting a shelter dog - and that it would probably be " a mutt - just like me!"

Hee hee - I often refer to myself as a "good old mutt - I mean American mixed breed" - and if pressed, list of several of the nationalities that are present in my family tree!

Giselle
11-07-2008, 07:34 PM
That's AWESOME :D I'm so happy to hear that!!!

Randi
11-08-2008, 09:12 AM
They should get a rescue/shelter dog, and a couple of kitties too. :p And why not join PT while they're at it! :D

Karen
11-08-2008, 09:16 AM
They should get a rescue/shelter dog, and a couple of kitties too. :p And why not join PT while they're at it! :D

No kitties, as allergies are a factor, sadly!

It'll be a big enough adjustment moving to a new house in a new state and moving to a new school, hopefully the canine they choose will help transition everyone better.

Kirsten
11-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Barack Obama, it is being reported all over the media today, said they would definitely be getting a shelter dog - and that it would probably be " a mutt - just like me!"

That's great news! :)

Too bad that they can't have any kitties, though...

Obama Wants Shelter Dog: 'They're Mutts Like Me' (http://www.theimproper.com/Template_Article.aspx?IssueId=7&ArticleId=2699)

Kirsten

carole
11-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Yes i saw him on the telly saying that, i thought it was rather good, i sure hope he goes ahead and gets his shelter puppy, that would be awesome and a great example for everyone.

sammy101
11-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Read this story!

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/081111/odds/odd_us_obama_dog

Giselle
11-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Cute, but no :p They can adopt virtually any dog in this country. There are plenty of "hypoallergenic" breed/breed mixes up for adoption in this country. If they search, they will find.

Ohhh, they just need to adopt!!

shirley
11-11-2008, 08:51 PM
i think a chihuahua would be a good dog they are ok for people that might have astma and obhma has two girl's and they could dress up a chihuahu up
they are loving and they are small and they are smart and they can live in all homes and even apt;s . you can take them eny were.

carole
11-12-2008, 01:54 PM
A genuine and nice offer from Peru, but i too would hope they would choose to adopt a doggy in their own country, plenty available for sure.

fritz03
11-13-2008, 01:19 PM
A Bichon Frise would make a good pet for the White House and it is Non Allergenic.The breed matches the color of the White House so it would blend in with the surroundings.

Alysser
11-13-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm all for Maltese LOL! I just thought about how weird it would be trying to get a dog outside to pee. How do they know when they need to pee LOL? Imagine how many litterboxes they would need for kitties :p

Kirsten
11-15-2008, 08:25 AM
A genuine and nice offer from Peru, but i too would hope they would choose to adopt a doggy in their own country, plenty available for sure.

Well, but don't you think it's some kind of a dilemma they're in now? As the future president, would it be politically correct to decline such an offer? :rolleyes:

Guess if I was in their shoes, I'd adopt two dogs now: the one from Peru, and another one from an US shelter... :D

Kirsten

carole
11-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Yes Kirsten you have a good point, that crossed my mind too, oh well i guess they will work through it somehow, any news on the dog they have chosen yet.