PDA

View Full Version : Scout needs some healing thoughts & prayers UPDATE #12 & #23

jazzcat
11-04-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm taking my little orange girl back to the vet tomorrow for x-rays. She has kidney stones and has been on a round of antibiotics but she has started peeing outside the box again and now she is pooping too. :( She's also not eating as well and I'm afraid her upper canine which has grown out too long from an abscess is still bothering her. Overall I can just tell she doesn't feel good, or at least something isn't right.

I'm not 100% that it's her peeing outside the box every time since it was out of camera range (I know at least one was her because it was dark orange again like before). I pray it's all her and not Rocky who is on Prozac for it or another cat. I don't think I can take much more of it.

lvpets2002
11-04-2008, 03:23 PM
:( Awwee poor wittle baby girl.. I know its not nice having to visit the white coats.. Now you do what the vet says & take your meds ok.. Meowmom will take good care of you.. Sending Lots of Whisker Kissess,, Huggss && Prayers..

Medusa
11-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Aw, prayers for Scout going up right now. Kidney stones hurt!

catmandu
11-04-2008, 07:00 PM
CAN YOU PUT NEWSPAPERS AROUND THE LITTER BOX?
THATS WHAT WE DO FOR BIG TUBSTER PANTHER, AND HE GETS THE MESS ON THE PAPER.
THE BIG FELLOW TRIES , BUT HIS AIM ISNT TRUE.
WE HOPE THAT YOUR VET CAN HELP SCOUT:love::love:, AND THATS SHES BACK TO BEING A CLEAN ACT ONCE MORE.
:cool::cool::cool:

kuhio98
11-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Gentle, healing prayers and hugs to a very special orange girl.

G535
11-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Sending positive thoughts your way. :)

krazyaboutkatz
11-04-2008, 10:41 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( Scout will be in my thoughts and prayers. I sure hope that your vet will be able to make her feel more comfortable. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

jenluckenbach
11-05-2008, 05:12 AM
Praers for Scout. Hope she feels btter soon.

Killearn Kitties
11-05-2008, 06:04 AM
Our thoughts are with Scout today. I hope she gets better soon.

Laura's Babies
11-05-2008, 07:46 AM
Good vibes coming her way and that it is a easy fix!

Anikaca77
11-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Sending my prays and thoughts for Scout.

jazzcat
11-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Update: Poor Scout has at least three kidney stones and several bladder stones. :( The vet took blood and urine to send off to a lab to find out what kind of bladder stones and if there are any crystals (there weren't crystals a few weeks ago). Based on those results we will know if the bladders stones are treatable with diet changes. If not we will have to decide where to go next.

Also, the vet thinks her upper canine tooth is a little looser so we will have to deal with removing that soon. She cried a little when the vet touched it so we can't keep that on the back burner too long but we need to address the kidney and bladder issues first.

Please keep the prayers coming for her.

Medusa
11-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Oh poor Scout baby. Both things are so painful; what a predicament. Of course prayers are w/out ceasing. :love:

lvpets2002
11-05-2008, 11:11 AM
:( Aweee poor wittle girl Scout.. I feel for your pain & discomfort.. Maybe meowmom can get you some pain meds from the vet.. Lots More Prayers being sent..

jennielynn1970
11-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Poor Scout. I'll keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

:love: Hugs and kissies to Scout! :love:

GILL
11-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Poor baby. The CREW will keep Scout in our pryers and thoughts.

Catty1
11-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Endless prayers for Scout. I hope a dietary change will help...even adding a bit of cranberry powder to wet food or something.

Give her a scritchy and cuddle for me.:love:

Anikaca77
11-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Oh my goodness Scout ....poor guy.

Right now we are working on diet change for my one cat Claudia who has been peeing outside the litter box and the vet gave us some can food and some food that we have to keep her on and everyone else. I really hope it helps but so far there was pee again in the kitchen...so we'll see.

Take care Scout more prays.

Barbara
11-05-2008, 04:02 PM
All my best thoughts for poor Scout.

sirrahbed
11-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Well, I just went through kidney stones myself a year ago and tell you I am sure sympathetic towards Scout!! It was miserable!! *I* would probably pee on your floor myself if it made me think it could take the pain away!!:eek::( Hope they can find a way to get the stones out or pass, dissolve - whatever. Maybe there is medication she can take so she won't get more of them. Please give her some scritches for me ok??

catlover4ever
11-06-2008, 07:45 AM
Poor baby. I do hope everything turns out ok for Scout. Sending healing thoughts and prayers her way.

lvpets2002
11-06-2008, 10:16 AM
:love: Update Please on How is Scout doing today?? I sure hope she feels some better.. Bigg Huggss & Prayers..

jazzcat
11-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Update - the vet called this morning with the test results. The bladder stones appear to be struvite which means we can try to dissolve them with diet. She will being going on a prescription food for a while. She does have infection so she'll also be taking antibiotics. The vet said she checked with the University of Tennessee's Vet Clinic to see if they could use the "shockwave" method to break up the kidney stones but they said it's too risky in cats right now but they've had great success in larger breed dogs. Looks like Scout will have to live with the kidney stones because diet doesn't help dissolve them since they are calcium based.

The blood work showed that Scout's kidney values are good as well as her thyroid but one of her liver enzymes is elevated. The vet said it's nothing to worry about now but we will need to watch it in the future.

So the plan now is to treat the infection with antibiotics, try to dissolve the bladder stones with a new prescription diet and recheck her in a month. The vet also wants to try to put off pulling her upper canine tooth until we get the infection and stones under control but she'll do it sooner if it's affecting her eating.

Catty1
11-06-2008, 11:54 AM
GREAT that the crystals can be dissolved!

Are the kidney stones small enough to pass?

Just a few human things I found:

Some medications have been used to increase the passage rates of kidney stones. These include calcium channel blockers such as nifedipine and alpha blockers such as tamsulosin. These drugs may be prescribed some people who have stones that do not rapidly pass through the urinary tract.

Surgical techniques have also been developed to remove kidney stones. This may be done through a small incision in the skin (percutaneous nephrolithotomy) or through an instrument known as an ureteroscope passed through the urethra and bladder up into the ureter.

When Oscar had a bladder infection (totally different, I know), the vet ok'd me giving him 50mg of cranberry powder a day to acidify his urine. I just eyeballed the amount from a human cranberry capsule, and mixed it in plain unflavoured yogurt (which he loves).

That would be a simple and cheap way to acidify the urine. Ask your vet. If the urine needs to be more alkaline, there is stuff for that also. (What comes to mind is baking soda, but I can't see that going down well with kitties OR humans!)

Prayers the Scout feels better soon. Poor baby!

lvpets2002
11-06-2008, 12:30 PM
:love: Well sounds pretty good at this point-n-time.. I sure hope the diet works.. Just hope this baby is not in any pain.. Can you rub something on her gums for the pain of the bad tooth?? Hope the kidney stones dont move & cause pain.. Lets All Cross our Paws & Pray.. All Paws Up for Scout..

Barbara
11-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Congrats on the good kidney values:) Hope you get the struvite under control soon.

jazzcat
11-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Are the kidney stones small enough to pass?

I saw the x-ray and two are kind of large and the third was smaller. I think the vet said she thought they were all too large to pass.

I could tell my vet was surprised the bladder stones were struvite and not calcium based. She said usually if there are both kidney and bladder stones present they are all calcium. At least we caught a break with that one.

I will ask about the cranberry powder, thanks.

kimlovescats
11-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Oh goodness, Lori! :rolleyes: Poor Scout must really be in discomfort! Did the vet say anything about something for pain in the meantime? It amazes me how vets just tend to think that pets aren't suffering just because they don't scream and complain like we do! Maybe you could give her a small dose of Metacam or something? I'd ask and see. ;)

Good luck, prayers and ((((HUGS)))) to you and Richard!:love:

Emeraldgreen
11-06-2008, 10:45 PM
I hope the new diet will help break up the struvite crystals soon. Are you giving him Hills S/D? I've had to give it to a few of my cats and the one good thing about that kibble is that they LOVE it! All my cats seem to want it and I have to make sure the ones that don't need it don't get into it. :)

Did the vet indicate what might be causing the kidney stones? I don't know much about them. Jimmy has a few kidney stones too.

Prayers that Scout will be feeling like her old self soon.

jazzcat
11-07-2008, 10:02 AM
I hope the new diet will help break up the struvite crystals soon. Are you giving him Hills S/D? I've had to give it to a few of my cats and the one good thing about that kibble is that they LOVE it! All my cats seem to want it and I have to make sure the ones that don't need it don't get into it. :)

Did the vet indicate what might be causing the kidney stones? I don't know much about them. Jimmy has a few kidney stones too.

Prayers that Scout will be feeling like her old self soon.
I think it's Purina U/R but not sure. They only had an 18 pound bag and I didn't pay a lot of attention to it - it's out in the garage.

The vet never said what might be causing the kidney stones. She's had them since at least last year when they took an x-ray to find out why she was limping (a possible hairline fracture). At that time they didn't seem to be bother her but that obviously changed. She didn't have bladder stones last year either.

Randi
11-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Oh poor Scout! :( I hope the diet will take care of the crystals. Fister started on Hills S/D to dissolve them, but a few months later he was blocked again. My vet said to be very strict not giving him ANY raw fish at all, but only the S/D. As you may remember he ended up being operated. BUT... Scout's issues are different I believe, so I hope the antibiotic will help clear this up! :)

Sending lots of positive and healing thoughts to Scout. Please give that wonderful girl some kisses from Fister and me. :love:

CultureJunky
11-07-2008, 11:15 AM
I hope you start to feel better soon Scout, it must be so uncomfortable for you. Be sure your meowmie is doing all she can to help, and we are all sending our bestest wishes for you to start feeling well again. Good luck on your new diet.