PDA

View Full Version : My voting experience!

RICHARD
11-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Don't turn this into an issues thread, I'll delete it so fast you'll wonder where you were for the last week.:mad:

--------------

I had a great time today!

I had it planned that I was going to wake up at 6:00 a.m., get ready and go vote when the polls opened. MY polling place is at the middle school I went to so the route was pretty familiar, I thought walking would be fun!!!!

I woke up at 6, futzied around and was on the road at 6:45, It rained last night so the air was crisp, the trees dripping and not too many people on the road. I chose my way carefully, I always try to keep from walking in straight lines-I do enough stumbling around when I am drunk anyway! I could have walked the 10 blocks straight away! 5 blocks, right turn, 5 blocks, DONE!

Instead, I meandered thru the neighborhood (when does it stop being YOUR neighborhood?) and saw houses that I had not walked by in years. I was scared by a pit bull that snuck up on me when I hit the edge of his property, was barked at by four dogs that had sprung the gate of their yard, I saw two hens/roosters that were loose in the street-LOL, I knew it was going to be a PT thread when I saw them!

On the walk up to the Social Hall-this is another stupid thing about life, we started out with the lunch area, going to the cafetorium, then it ends up, years later as a Social Hall....

That reminds me of the line from the Dr Strangelove movie-The generals and politicians are trying to figure out what to do because some goofy soldier orders a nuke strike on Russia, Tensions build and a scuffle breaks out in the bunker where everyone is hiding, Peter Sellers yells at the people fighting-

"YOU CAN"T FIGHT IN HERE, THIS IS THE WAR ROOM!"

I was stopped by a group of three people who handed me a card/flyer to vote against a propostition that I already was going to nix....As I walked by, I caught the woman looking at my tush. I did shake it for her, just a little!:cool:

Anyway, There is a line on the side walk that moved rather quickly into the social hall , I did made eye contact with another concerned voter and we had a 10 second affair-she didn't check me out, I was reading a book so I really didn't notice. I found my line, cut in front of about 20 people, was told to get the eff outta there-NOT REALLY! But, that sounded good, eh? I went to the end of the line...

I waited 10 minutes-The line outside was about 10 too! I voted and began to walk out when I saw another woman sizing me up.

Dang, I am a chickie magnet today!!!

She has the look like she want something from me-No, not that you dirty minded reader, why is everything always SEX with you?:rolleyes:

As I walk up I see she has a steno book in hand and is a little nervous.

I take a few steps and she says, "Hi, can I speak to you?"

"Sure..", I say.

"I couldn't help but see you walk in and want to know you are a chick magnet, I want to take you home-I'll feed you, wash your clothes and make you an honest man!"

LOLOLOL, so, you are paying attention! No such luck, she says she is from Al Jazeera and want to ask me a few questions about who I voted for and why.
She was an very attractive woman, so I answered her questions, she took photos for possible 'publication' on the website and off I went.

I made it back home in a few minutes and the whole process only took me an hour. It was fun, I had a nice little walk/workout, voted and am a media personage!

And that was my voting experience!

YOURS?

Lady's Human
11-04-2008, 10:43 AM
I walked into the Barker town hall at 715 AM, kissed the lady standing in line in front of me, grumbled at her to hurry up and vote while she was in the booth for 15 minutes, gave her a hug, and we went our separate ways.

RICHARD
11-04-2008, 10:49 AM
I walked into the Barker town hall at 715 AM, kissed the lady standing in line in front of me, grumbled at her to hurry up and vote while she was in the booth for 15 minutes, gave her a hug, and we went our separate ways.

So, you are a chickie magnet too!

LOL, I think that should I ever run for office my Al Jazeera connection will be brought up.

So, did you get some digits from the chickie babe-maybe a dinner date tonight? 15 minutes in a booth is never enough!;)

Lady's Human
11-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Even though we were in separate cars going different directions, she had the same phone number as me!:eek:

RICHARD
11-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Even though we were in separate cars going different directions, she had the same phone number as me!:eek:

That was fast. You probably already have kids by now?!?!?:D:cool:;)
Ain't love grand!

Cinder & Smoke
11-04-2008, 10:54 AM
... kissed the lady standing in line in front of me,
grumbled at her to hurry up and vote while she was in the booth for 15 minutes,
gave her a hug,
and we went our separate ways.

:)

Nice of you to let The Wife go first! :love:
;)

Were your Votes 'additive' or did they cancel each other?

Lady's Human
11-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Honestly, no idea. (I have an idea, but we each keep who we actually vote for to ourselves)

She was going to work, I was coming home from work, so it was a nice extra smooch I don't normaly get. :cool:

RICHARD
11-04-2008, 11:04 AM
She was going to work, I was coming home from work, so it was a nice extra smooch I don't normaly get. :cool:

DUDE, that makes the story even better!

Our eyes met, we kissed, voted and went on our separate ways. Like ships in the night or voters at the polling place......;)

Freedom
11-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Richard, only you could make voting so . . . interesting! :D

Dad and I went to vote at 9:30. There had been a long line at 7:15 this morning, and likely will be again later in the day. When we got there, only 3 folks ahead of us.

Unfortunately, the computer scanner for collecting ballots decided to die as the first of those 3 people was ready to leave. Took about half an hour for them to get someone in (less then 5 minutes!), he tested various parts of the darn thing, even gave it a light kick lol :p, used his key to open the top ( it is very like a copy machine), unplugged it, waited a few moments, plugged it in, then he had to go out to his car, get a new computer thingy and set that up. By now, there was a line of folks who had voted and were ready to leave! At least 30!

A few handed their ballots to the supervisor saying, "I have to go." Unfortunately, this means their ballot is canceled. Not sure if they realized that.

Once the new machine was humming, we all proceeded to submit our ballots and leave.

Puckstop31
11-04-2008, 11:19 AM
My voting precinct is at a local church. (Which is ironic, in and of itself, but thats for another thread. LOL)

I got there about 7:30. While I was in line, I got to chatting with the guy in front of me. Blue collar kind of guy, some kind of construction dude. Ends up he is a fellow hunter and showed me a picture of a beautiful 9 point buck he harvested last weekend. I am SO getting out for archery next year...

Anyway, we got to talking about a local issue. Our county has a "Home Rule" charter on the ballot this year. We both agreed that it is crazy and will be voting NO on that issue. The guy standing out front on the place handing out Democrat voter guides asked my new friend, "why do you think it's crazy?" (Which I don't think he can do at the voting precinct, but whatever.) His reponce, "you don't think it's crazy that one group of ELECTED officals would be given the authority to FIRE other elected officials?"

Game, Set, Match.

Mr. Democrat guy did not even say a word. That tells me he did not even know what the charter was or what it was about. Just that the county Democratic Party told him what to say. Sad.

Anyway, I finally get in, show my ID (this is the first time I voted in this particular precinct) and get my ballot. We have these paper ballots where you fill in bubbles and then scan it into a machine. Great idea, IMHO. OR you had the option to use a single purely electronic voting machine. So while I am waiting in line to get into one of the booths to fill out my ballot, I have an amusing time watching this rather rotund woman using the electronic machine. She is just pounding away at the thing. I mean POUNDING. The booth is shaking and all that. Curses are being mumbled under her breath and whatnot. Finally, an offical goes over to ask her if he can help. A whispered conversation happens and she finishes up, quietly this time. (Perhaps giving some creedence to the military addage that you have to be 10% smarter than the equipment you are using. LOL)

I get in the booth and fill out my ballot. Get up and go over the the short line for the scanner. Right after I scan my ballot and get my reciept, I hear... "M'AM!! Please do NOT walk behind the voting booths!!!!!" Poor lady blushed as red as an apple. LOL It was good to see the almost entirely elderly staff running the place with teutonic efficency. I was in and out in about 20 mins. Sweet.

On the way to the office I hear about LONG lines and general ruckus at the polling places in Philly though... Oh goody. LOL

caseysmom
11-04-2008, 11:23 AM
I am disappointed, I got no action at all!

RICHARD
11-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Richard, only you could make voting so . . . interesting! :D

I just got oogled, Lady's Human got some ACTION!!!:cool: I am seriously jealous!

I just live in the world and write about it!:eek:

PS,
Just 10 percent?

Shoot, I was running at 2 percent over the intelligence of everything I put my hands on.:D

I am disappointed, I got no action at all!

Ya just gotta work them polls....;)

caseysmom
11-04-2008, 11:29 AM
I was waiting for a punch line about your butt Richard...maybe something ripped or torn, is it seriously that ogglable? (is that a word) if so you may need to share a pic.

RICHARD
11-04-2008, 11:36 AM
I was waiting for a punch line about your butt Richard...maybe something ripped or torn, is it seriously that ogglable? (is that a word) if so you may need to share a pic.

Maybe she was looking at my wallet?:(

I don't have a rear. LOL, I have been told that the way I wear my pants makes me look like I have a loaded diaper on.:eek:

Grace
11-04-2008, 11:38 AM
My experience was nothing like yours, Richard.

I picked up my ballot 2 weeks ago; brought it home; sat down at the dining room table and filled it out. After double checking all the marks, I returned it to the Township Hall. That was it.

My husband did his the same way, just one week later.

Boring . . . . .

RICHARD
11-04-2008, 12:13 PM
My experience was nothing like yours, Richard.

I picked up my ballot 2 weeks ago; brought it home; sat down at the dining room table and filled it out. After double checking all the marks, I returned it to the Township Hall. That was it.

My husband did his the same way, just one week later.

Boring . . . . .

I had a friend who was alway gung-ho about voting absentee-I love crowds and have the most fun being out with the masses-I may try it next time, but this was one election that looked like it would be fun to be out there to see who was voting and it is kinda historical.

I always look to have an adventure. It's more fun that way. I understand the ease of voting early, but you never know what kind of encounters you will have once you step out your front door.

RedHedd
11-04-2008, 01:05 PM
I can't wait! I'm going after work. The line this morning @ 7:30 was half a block long. I can only imagine what it's going to be like @ 6:00 p.m. At least there are lots of restaurants around who will be serving pizza and coffee :)

RICHARD
11-04-2008, 04:57 PM
I can't wait! I'm going after work. The line this morning @ 7:30 was half a block long. I can only imagine what it's going to be like @ 6:00 p.m. At least there are lots of restaurants around who will be serving pizza and coffee :)

Let us know if you get any action at the precinct?;)

ramanth
11-04-2008, 05:04 PM
No action here. Poo! But it was a quick, easy, and painless process filled with very polite people. :)

:)
Were your Votes 'additive' or did they cancel each other?

Can someone explain how that works? Why do married couples votes cancel out if they vote differently? Does the entire ballot negate or only the presidency?

I know it's all about the Electoral College but I want my vote to count. :(

jennielynn1970
11-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Mine was uneventful.

I went out my front door at about 1pm, walked about 3 blocks down to the public library to where I vote. Gorgeous day, so I took my time, not that it takes all that long to walk 3 blocks, lol.

There were about 3 people milling around outside. There were about 6 people in line. One guy in the wrong place, he was supposed to vote at City Hall. That goofed up their number system, so I had to give my paper back so they could number it correctly (#362) --- was I only number 362 in my area by 1pm??? That's sad.

So, I go through their whole give me your paper, take it back, give it to the next lady, take it back... why didn't they just pass it down?? They're at the same darn table. It was silly, actually.

I get an electronic voting card, never had one of them before, and was told to use one of 3 kiosks to vote. No booth. No curtain. Just 3 booths facing everyone who was walking in. Okie dokie.

Card rejected me, lol. Had to get one of the old ladies to give me another card.

Voted and was out of there in about 5 minutes.

Puck... we had a Charter thingy also on our ballot. Sad to say I had no idea what it was about :o but it sounded like it would give the city council rights over what was dictated previously in a charter or something??? I voted no, because I couldn't really make heads or tails of it. Hope I didn't do something bad!

Grace
11-04-2008, 05:14 PM
I have a friend who is running for the California State Assembly in District 54. Are you familiar with that area - Ranchos Palos Verde and Long Beach?

RICHARD
11-04-2008, 06:16 PM
I have a friend who is running for the California State Assembly in District 54. Are you familiar with that area - Ranchos Palos Verde and Long Beach?

Yes, it's southwest of El Lay, LB is a port city and RPV is an upper crust area, old money live there, mostly bought when land was cheap.

caseysmom
11-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Got my free starbucks and sipping it now:D

Waiting to see if Redhedd gets any action at the pools....:eek: