PDA

View Full Version : Breeders in Saudi Arabia hold first beauty pageant for locally raised sheep

Catty1
11-04-2008, 08:54 AM
I am SO not saying anything about this....
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/081031/koddities/oddity_sheep_pageant

Breeders in Saudi Arabia hold first beauty pageant for locally raised sheep

Fri Oct 31, 3:03 PM

By Donna Abu-Nasr, The Associated Press

BANBAN, Saudi Arabia - The contestants scampered down the runway, bleating at their admirers. Poets sang their praises in verse as the male-only audience appraised the competitors' physical beauty, right down to the length of their necks.

But instead of receiving roses and a tiara, it was off to the highest bidder for many finalists in the first Saudi beauty pageant featuring locally bred sheep.

The contest, a far cry from female beauty pageants held in some Arab countries like Lebanon, offered an opportunity for breeders to do business and a rare outlet for entertainment in a country where the few recreational activities that exist are conducted under the strict glare of the religious police.

The goal of Thursday's competition was to encourage Saudis to breed for quality. Some of those who attended the event said Saudi sheep - known as Nejdi sheep - have markedly improved over the past decade because of the attention given to breeding them.

"The Nejdi sheep of today are much more beautiful than those of 10 years ago," said Salem al-Ghannami, a 37-year-old Emirati at the event.

In the past few years, beauty pageants involving camels and goats - which, together with sheep, symbolize Bedouin lifestyle - have been held across the kingdom. But senior members of the royal family have reportedly been upset because the contests turned into rancorous competitions between tribes over who has the most beautiful breed. To avoid such conflicts the sheep pageant did not list the tribes who owned the animals.

On Thursday evening, some 4,000 men assembled on a lit-up stretch of desert just north of Riyadh covered with hundreds of carpets. The event was off-limits to women in keeping with strict Saudi rules that ban the sexes from mixing in public.

The men sat in armchairs around a tiny runway covered with red carpeting. The stench of dung filled the cool desert air as rams and ewes were put on display following a fireworks show and a competition for the best poem in praise of sheep.

The event's organizer, Faisal al-Saadoun, said connoisseurs have an eye for attractive sheep.

"Just like humans, sheep shouldn't have fat in unwanted places," said al-Saadoun. "They should also be tall."

He said good ewes sell for 20,000-30,000 Saudi riyals, the equivalent of about C$6,000 to $10,000. But good rams can fetch hundreds of thousands of riyals. The sheep sold Thursday were to be used for breeding.

"Rams are more expensive because they can produce 100 sheep a year, while ewes can produce a couple or so," he said.

Al-Saadoun owns three-year-old Burgan - Arabic for lightning - the kingdom's most famous sheep, which has been compared to an oil well because his much sought-after offspring have fetched a total of more than $2.5 million.

Out of the 10 finalists, eight were Burgan's offspring, including the winning ram and ewe. Al-Ghannami - who owns 200 sheep, including two from Burgan - said breeders are willing to "pay millions for beauty."

"I want to collect sheep from a good stock," said al-Ghannami, who works in the United Arab Emirates' Interior Ministry. "It's a hobby. I don't do it for money."

Close to midnight, Fahd al-Jinahi, a 31-year-old Saudi, walked away with his prize purchase: Sana, a ram from Burgan's brood that he bought for the equivalent of about $145,700.

Why did he choose it?

"I loved the length and width of his cheeks, his long neck and how his creamy yellow hair falls down his body," said al-Jinahi.

Twisterdog
11-04-2008, 08:55 PM
I am SO not saying anything about this....

LMAO ... oh, but you SO wanted to, didn't you? :D

Well, I'm from Wyoming, where the unofficial state slogan is, "Wyoming. Where men are men, and sheep are nervous."

Nuff said.

Catty1
11-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Other readers commented thusly:

"Saudi birth control - they make an "x" on the sheep that kick."

Sounds like a joke to me. "Of all things you had to go out and pick the ugliest one."

*whistles innocently*;)

jennielynn1970
11-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Um... we have farm shows that pick the best of the breed, so what is so different about this?? It's a Bedouin tradition, and they're judging best of breed. What's the issue?

Catty1
11-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Maybe it was just the media making it out to be a "beauty contest". But the last comment there quoted did give me a bit of pause.

DJFyrewolf36
11-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Breeding for perpetuating good lines and making the species better = good!

Sheep being "beautiful" :confused: I don't know.

I'm all for appriciating a quality product but this MAY be going a bit too far lol.

RICHARD....where are ewe? (badum tiss)

jennielynn1970
11-06-2008, 07:40 AM
Maybe it was just the media making it out to be a "beauty contest". But the last comment there quoted did give me a bit of pause.

He could have been describing a prize horse.

When you are looking for a specific breed, or traits in that breed, you want to buy what pleases your eye. I don't see an issue with it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, remember. ;)

Oh, I did grow up on a farm where we raised sheep, among other animals, but I wouldn't have called the sheep WE raised beautiful. As lambs they were cute.

This is the Nejdi Sheep. And I think it's got really nice hair on it, nothing like the sheep we see over here. Facially, not very pretty, looks more like a goat to me, but that's my take on her.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/b339e0ec-925e-40bb-b116-481ec389e77.jpg

RICHARD
11-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Breeding for perpetuating good lines and making the species better = good!

Sheep being "beautiful" :confused: I don't know.

I'm all for appriciating a quality product but this MAY be going a bit too far lol.

RICHARD....where are ewe? (badum tiss)

"PLease don't try to pull the wool over my eyes", he stated sheepishly.

I am having had a ba-a-a-a-a-a-d reaction to this story. :D I think that the Bedoins are being made out to be the sacrificial lambs in this case.

Why don't you all flock off and behave yourselves?

What do you call a mean sheep?

WOOLY BULLY, WOOLY BULLY, WOOLY BULLY, WOOLY BULLY, WOOLY BULLY, Watch it now!!!!

Catty1
11-07-2008, 10:49 AM
RICHARD, you KNIT-WIT! :D

DJFyrewolf36
11-07-2008, 02:05 PM
"PLease don't try to pull the wool over my eyes", he stated sheepishly.

I am having had a ba-a-a-a-a-a-d reaction to this story. :D I think that the Bedoins are being made out to be the sacrificial lambs in this case.

Why don't you all flock off and behave yourselves?

What do you call a mean sheep?

WOOLY BULLY, WOOLY BULLY, WOOLY BULLY, WOOLY BULLY, WOOLY BULLY, Watch it now!!!!

I had a witty reply...and it got lost in all the sheep S*!t!

Or is that BS? :confused: