PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember when SNL used to be funny?

sparks19
11-01-2008, 10:39 PM
MAN... SNL has just SUCKED in the past "few" years.

It used to be so good. the classic stuff can never be topped I guess.

the only thing right now that gets me laughing is Tina Fey as Sarah palin. She is just amazing... I mean I almost can't tell the difference lol. She's great. but I think she is the only one worth watching anymore.

So ... aside from Tina Fey... does ANYONE find SNL funny anymore?

Suki Wingy
11-01-2008, 10:45 PM
No, I rarely find SNL or Mad TV funny anymore, not in the last few years actually.

sparks19
11-01-2008, 10:53 PM
yeah it just seems to be getting completely STUPID

I mean they just did a skit on John Hamm's john ham... Ham for the bathroom? WTF. that is what passes as funny these days? Yikes

Twisterdog
11-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Yes, sadly, I'm old enough to remember when it was hilarious.

I remember my older brothers watched it all the time, and they used to let me sneak downstairs and watch it with them - I was "too young" and not allowed to watch such things. This was in the 70's.

Suki Wingy
11-01-2008, 11:08 PM
What I find funny would absolutely appall some people though, really crude humor.

RICHARD
11-01-2008, 11:11 PM
They really suck-LOL, even Tina Fake got 'popular' after she left the show.

The whole problem is the stupidity of the skits and jokes, It's always potty, fart or humor that isn't funny. The characters suck big time.

Roseanne Roseannadana, Two Wild and Crazy Guys, I'm Gumby, G.D. it!, Killer Bees-The Belushi stupid Mexican accent would make my hysterical..Lisa Loupner???

There are no, and have not been any real funny writers or characters produced in ages and when they come up with a decent character-it goes to film and it really stinks- I can leave Mike Meyers, Dana Carvey, Will Ferrell and Adam Sandler-especially Sandler. The movies aren't funny, it's one stupid joke after another and when that fails it's about sex and throwing up, the evil pet of the GF that dies when the BF has enough and kills it 'on accident'.

I can sit thru a poorly written 2 hour movie, but have no chops for the 86 minute swill that is passed off as humor/comedy these days. When I get to the On Demand screen of my cable service I see the "Baby Mama" clip/ad over and over again, It's the bladder busting scene where the woman can't get the toilet lid open so she climbs into the sink to relieve herself, Sara Pal----ah, Tina Fake, the other bimbo in the flick, walks by the BR and sees her weeing into the sink, the woman apologizes by saying the can't work the toilet seat cover.

WHOA...hahahahahahhahahhahhahahhahahhahahahahhahah hahahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahah ahhyahhahahhahahahhahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahhahha ha

That was so not funny - and I have to put up with the idea that I can order it "On Demand, where the movies start when I want them to!" any time I want to watch SPEED, BBC or Natl Geo when I want to see a special program.

No thanks, I'll settle for Mike Rowe inseminating a cow by hand, Bear Grylls wrestling with his dinner or the Mythbusters trying to kill their assistants by trying to. SNL and Mad TV are not Mad or Cutting Edge anymore.

Cinder & Smoke
11-02-2008, 12:46 AM
[Remember when ~ SNL was actually FUNNY?]

Yes, sadly, I'm old enough to remember when it was hilarious.

I thought maybe I was the 'only one'. :p

Tonight's show was PITIFUL! :(

Candidate McCain should have let Ms. Palin write his material ...
I can't believe he won any new votes with the stuff he had tonight.
But then, McCain wasn't as bad as the "regulars".

< sigh >
:rolleyes:

blue
11-02-2008, 12:52 AM
Tina Fey is hot. I havent watched SNL for at least a decade.

Medusa
11-02-2008, 07:01 AM
I haven't watched SNL in years but I'm finding that there is nothing that passes for humor or good entertainment on TV any more. I thought it was my age speaking to me but now I see that isn't the case. As Richard said, it's usually bathroom humor and I'm not 15 years old; I'd like a little more sophistication, please. It's becoming increasingly difficult to find anything worth watching; the squirm factor is built right in to the previews and the previews are supposed to be the hook. Lately, I've been watching old movies over and over again, something I detested doing in the past but it's better than sitting through the drivel that's on TV now that insults our intelligence.

jennielynn1970
11-02-2008, 07:26 AM
I can't stand the newer SNL stuff. I remember SNL of the 70s and 80's. I liked Dana Carvey, Adam Sandler, and Mike Myers back then. Still like Sandler. I have no use for Will Farrell. He looks like a pedophile to me. Never liked that guy who played in Black Sheep or Tommy Boy, whoever he was. I know he passed away, but still didn't like him.

Granted many use foul language to get the laughs, but that's nothing new. Richard Pryor, George Carlin, to name a few. Those guys were foul, but they had a bunch of followers.

Alysser
11-02-2008, 08:23 AM
I never actually found SNL funny, I find some stuff on Mad TV very funny LOL, but SNL lost it's humor long ago. I will admit Tina Fey as Palin was hiliarious, though. :D At first I was like, why is she making fun of herself?

LOL, Jenn, I agree with you on the Will Farrell pedophile thing. XD He creeped me out a little in the Elf Movie even though it was still a funny movie.

Daisy and Delilah
11-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Sparks, you're so right. I can't believe how bad that show has gotten. It used to be a thrill to stay up and watch it. Now, why bother? It stinks.
I keep sitting there, waiting for something to happen that's funny and nothing ever does. The first few minutes is sometimes sorta funny. Especially with the political candidates. It still lacks that punch it used to have.

I loved Chris Farley. I always say I stopped really liking it when he died. He's not the only one that was funny though.

I can never understand why they can't do better in the writing and creativity. Surely they all know it's terrible.:(

Catty1
11-02-2008, 09:18 AM
We had an equivalent - The Royal Canadian Air Farce. It ran on public radio (CBC) for a couple of decades, and was brilliant. Then, a few years ago, some nit wit at the top decided they should move to TV. It didn't work as well, though there will still a lot of good shows and moments. They added a couple of new younger castmates - one of the old stalwarts had died - but the writing sucked, and it just got tired. When they finally cancelled it this year, 90% of respondents greeted the announcement with "It's about time!"

So I can relate. Network management has got to learn when to turn horses out to pasture, and not let them labour uselessly ad infinitum.

Scooter's Mom
11-02-2008, 10:44 AM
My mom would let us watch it when we were kids...
My brother and I grew up with Eddie Murphey copying Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.... "Can you say tax evasion boys and girls?" or something else like that. I loved it. I think it partly formed our very warped sense of humor we have now.

Today it just isn't funny.

RICHARD
11-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Granted many use foul language to get the laughs, but that's nothing new. Richard Pryor, George Carlin, to name a few. Those guys were foul, but they had a bunch of followers.

Pryor and Carlin, even going back to Lenny Bruce, didn't make the jokes stupid. They made you think and didn't toss out the f word as a 'modifier'.
You had to work to get the jokes, you had to pay attention. An f bomb was was used as a way to show some kind of frustration, not as a shocker.

Most of the film humor is based on the "one joke/5 minute skit" premise. Well, fine and good-it serves the attention span of the idiot fan that has no concept of what humor is.

The TV/film industry takes one actor and repeat the same formula over and over again. Like the Johnny Depp script. The character wears makeup and he's signed up for it.

Stand up comedians are not funny anymore. There are a few that are funny, for about 5 seconds, then get stupid. I find more humor in cooking shows, idiots chasing tornadoes and the news. Try and watch a Comedy Central program about SUC-most of the time there are more bleeps than there are jokes.

----------------

Last word.

I don't know what movie it was or why I stopped to watch the part of it that I did.

The scene was a man teaching some kind of class and he gets his girlfriend on the phone. The conversation gets to their personal life and they begin to argue about sex. The 'script' got to be more and more crass and even tho I like smart naughty humor, this was just plain stupid. I could see the screen writer putting this together-
"Wouldn't it be funny if a guy starts to fight about his sex life in front of a class he's teaching!"

Morons.

BitsyNaceyDog
11-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Some of it I like, some of it I don't. I haven't watched last night's episode yet, I have it on the DVR.

I love Amy Poehler and I'm sad to see her leave the show, it's time for her to move on to bigger and better things though (and spend some time being a new mom).

I love Kristen Wiig too. I love the "I said we" skits.

Suki Wingy
11-02-2008, 06:16 PM
I HATE the "I said we" skits. Every time one comes on I want to turn the tv off completely. I don't get it at all or why it should be funny.

Here's a list of things that seem to make me laugh the most:
-sexual jokes
-excessive violence
-excessive use of swear words
-severe alcoholism
-vomit
-ridiculous and random plot or no plot at all
-skits that draw in on other obscure things I may happen to actually know about
-frequent recurrences of things I don't know anything about (like say, referencing Sue Carpenter over and over even though I have no clue who she is)

That's just me though. That's why I love Bottom, and I love the "YouTube poop" bottom videos people make. A couple of my all time favorites, see if they have you rotfl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGrFLfVcizQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFM8r5KwTEA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PJpQnAuJJM