PDA

View Full Version : Poor outside momma feral...

kt_luvs_kitties
11-01-2008, 04:28 AM
Right after hubby and I bought this house, I noticed a momma feral, very young. I, of course, started feeding her. The babies went missing, and I was told by my neighbor, that she called AC to pick them up, since they were born under her house. I really did not know she had kittens (was told she did, but I never saw them).

Shortly after she was about to pop, with her second litter. I was going to get her fixed, but she was already more than halfway through pregnancy when her babies were weaned from litter 1. I hated to abort them, so I went ahead and let her have them. She had 6, and 2 died. 2 I caught and adopted out, and now I have 2 fostering trying to find them homes.

During all of that, she was about to pop again. BUT now, I can handle her. She wont go into a trap, she is too slick for that. So lately I can actually handle her, so I can cage her and get her fixed.

I figured once these babies were born, I would get them very young (4 weeks maybe, before they can outrun me!) and tame them and adopt them out. Take momma the next morning and get her fixed, before she gets too pregnant again (no doubt in my mind she will be pregnant before these babies were weaned, thats the pattern).

I have been up ALL night, going in and out. It is about 25 degrees here, and she is came up begging food about 1am. I got her 2 cans of kitten food, and she devoured them. She had blood and goo and chunks of flesh all over her, waist down. She clearly had the babies. Still feels like their might be one left, but it is hard to tell.

2 problems. She has not left my porch for HOURS. She wont go to them, and I have NO IDEA where they are. She is not contracting or anything, just does not want to leave. Seems like nothing happened. I cleaned her up the best I could with towels.

AND her nipples are completely dry. They have not nursed.

A week ago I bought a huge rubbermaid container, and cut a hole in it. Filled with blankets and a heating pad to keep her warm. No babies...

I have had plenty of pregnant rescues, and helped deliever LOTS of babies. BUT never ever outside. I cant bring her in, because I dont have anywhere to put her, everyroom is full to the brim with pets, and I really do think hubby would leave me if I even brought it up.

Is it normal for them to have babies, and immediately leave them? Not to eat for a few hours? Everyone inside I have helped would leave them, but they would not leave the immediate area and esp. not RIGHT after.

I just dont know where they are, and if they are alive. Any suggestions, should I just let her do her job? She has been such a PERFECT momma with this last litter (the only one I saw her raise). She would not leave their sight. Do you think I am jumping to conclusions or should I be worried? Could their be something wrong with the babies, and that is why she left them?

Help:(

kt_luvs_kitties
11-01-2008, 04:44 AM
Ok, I feel stupid for even posting that! She ate again and then ran across the street and into the woods. Hopefully she went back to help the babies, and Maybe *fingers crossed* she will bring them up here and into the warm box. That way I can atleast keep close watch on them.

Please pray for these babies. Even though I dont need anymore cats/kittens/pets and really dont have very much time lately, I still want to help them. I cant just turn my back on them.

Wish there was a shelter around here that could help, but all we have is AC, and I cant do that.

*Sigh*

Laura's Babies
11-01-2008, 09:39 AM
I would be afraid like you, that the poor babies would freeze out there in that 25* cold. Lets pray she brings them to the place you have fixed up for her or already has them in equally as good a place. Poor girl is going to be wore out popping out so many kittens so fast all the time.

moosmom
11-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Katie,

I'd follow her over to the woods. She'll give you an idea where they are. If they're little enough, you can just scoop them up and take them home. Mama may follow. If not, you'll have to trap her. Once she is reunited with her babies, I think everything will fall into place. If you didn't live so far, I'd help you. I'm home alot and have a spare bathroom. If you can find the transport to CT, they can come here.

catmandu
11-01-2008, 09:52 AM
ITS A SHAME THAT THAT MOMMA CAT DOES NOT TRUST PEOPPLE ANDFEELS THAT SHE HAS TO HIDE HER BABIES.
I FEEL AS SAD AS WHEN POUNCER ROCCALNO ACTUALLY DUG HER WAY OUT OF MY HOTEL, AS SHE WAS SO AFRIAD OF ME, AND WENT TO LIVE IN THE WILD.
LETS PRAY THAT SHE HAS THEM WHERE THE WIND CANT GET TO THEM AND THEY WONT GET SNOWED IN.
POOR LITTLE MOMMA AND BABIES.
:(:(:(
GOD BLESS YOU FOR CARING.:love::love::love:

Anikaca77
11-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Hi there,

Something similar happened out here near my apartment complex except this mom had her babies and she was full of milk and this couple took her in and took her to this lady who I've been volunteering with and so they had the mom for about a day and we took the mom cat back out to the site where they found her and she wouldn't go to her babies. I was very sad thinking there was babies out there that I could hear or find.

So the next day the women who found the cat was told to take the mom cat out to where she found her and walk with her to see where she might go. Sure enough she lead her directly to her babies. They were all dead. :(

No one knows if they were born dead or what happened but it sounds like your mom cat just need to get some food in her system before nursing.

I would try to follow her if you can just to make sure her babies are safe.

Keep us posted.

Melissa