PDA

View Full Version : Halloween experiences

K9soul
10-31-2008, 05:52 PM
I thought it might be fun to start a thread for any halloween experiences from today/tonight anyone might like to share. Whether good, bad, funny, weird or whatever :p.

I started getting kids at 4 p.m. It's been a warm day here, 66 and sunny so it's already been pretty busy! I just got one boy though who was in a bear costume, I gave him his candy and he said 'Thank you, have a nice Halloween!' I was so surprised. What a sweet boy, he couldn't have been more than 8 or 9. I think having one of my trick or treaters wish me a nice Halloween is a first for me! :D

sparks19
10-31-2008, 06:46 PM
we have been having a great time. We took Hannah out right about 6 to just a few houses and she loved that. then we came home and sat in the driveway and handed out candy. We got lots of kids and are still getting some... but we are almost out of candy :eek:

Though of course while we were hanging out outside the dogs were inside left to their own devices. I left Hannah's diaper bag open and they pulled EVERYTHING out of it... found the baggie filled with goldfish and cheerios and polished that off lol. so they played a trick and got their own treats lol

K9soul
10-31-2008, 06:53 PM
Though of course while we were hanging out outside the dogs were inside left to their own devices. I left Hannah's diaper bag open and they pulled EVERYTHING out of it... found the baggie filled with goldfish and cheerios and polished that off lol. so they played a trick and got their own treats lol

:eek: Sounds like they made the best of it :D. Things are slowing down here now but I've definitely gone through a lot more candy than last year. I had to slow down and stop giving 2-3 pieces to each kid.

sparks19
10-31-2008, 07:04 PM
:eek: Sounds like they made the best of it :D. Things are slowing down here now but I've definitely gone through a lot more candy than last year. I had to slow down and stop giving 2-3 pieces to each kid.

same here... near the end we had to start giving only one peice lol. I bet we have less than ten pieces of candy left. We were starting to look around the house to see if we had anything else to give out just in case lol

Freedom
10-31-2008, 07:13 PM
Great thread idea!

First one was 520, had to shut off my light at 7:40 and I was all out. I had 4 left and that last group was . . . NINE CHILDREN! So we all agreed the youngest four could have them.

I don't give candy, haven't for years. This year I had small 24-page Halloween activity books. Came in a package of 72. Connect the dots, mazes, set of photos find the 2 the same, things like that. Small, fit in the palm of my hand. Here is a link, in case anyone in interested for the future.

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/browse/processRequest.do?demandPrefix=12&sku=25/1717&mode=Searching&erec=2&D=halloween+activity+book&Ntt=halloween+activity+book&Ntk=all&Dx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&Ntx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&y=0&N=0&requestURI=processProductsCatalog&x=0&sd=Halloween+Fun+And+Games+Books

I love seeing the little ones, I had a very cute Tyrannosaurus Rex, a Dragon, Bumble bee and a few others - the under 6 year old set! :D

boomersooner
10-31-2008, 07:55 PM
After attending a carnival at our church, I took our daughter (Hannah Montana tonight) around the neighborhood while the husband took the 13 year old boy child to a party. I took our 8 month old puppy, Boomer, with us. He was such a little chicken dog.....so scared of the lit up pumpkins and of all the goblins running around......but, I think he enjoyed himself!

Taz_Zoee
10-31-2008, 08:08 PM
We had a costume contest at work today and I won second place. I was Cindy Lou Who from the 1966 cartoon How The Grinch Stole Christmas. Many people, including one of my co-workers, always calls me Cindy Lou Who so I thought it would be a good costume.

It is 6:10 right now and we have not had one trick or treater. Of course it's not really dark out yet. I plan on posting pics tomorrow of how we decorated our house and maybe even one of me dressed up. This would be a first photo of me here on PT. But we shall wait and see if I don't chicken out. :p

K9soul
10-31-2008, 08:25 PM
I plan on posting pics tomorrow of how we decorated our house and maybe even one of me dressed up. This would be a first photo of me here on PT. But we shall wait and see if I don't chicken out. :p

I hope we get to see the costume! :D Sounds like a lot of fun! Most the kids here seem done now, I only got a handful after 7 and now it is almost 8:30 and I haven't had any in quite awhile.

caseysmom
10-31-2008, 08:27 PM
I haven't got any yet but we usually get clobbered I bought 30 pounds of candy and I am hoping I don't run out:eek:

Alysser
10-31-2008, 08:35 PM
I went out with a group of 12-16 kids, and got at least a pound of candy. We went to my friend's neighborhood because its always more fun their. There was this one house that had a mini cemetary set up and as I was taking a picture a guy came out of the grave and scared the living hell out of me. :eek: I ran behind my friends haha. Then as one of my friends passed this "decoration" on the post it came off the post, I ran like HELL. My friend said someone in the garage puled her hair xD I didn't go up there to get candy. I had enough surprises for one night. ^^ I need to show you pictures! :D I'll post them once I fully charge my camera in this thread.

zippy-kat
10-31-2008, 10:38 PM
I have a friend who lives in the country and complains that she never gets trick-or-treaters... well, she did this year. lol I dressed my horse up as a ghost and, yes, Summer went trick-or-treating. lol :D

And, while I was doing this, others were egging my house... apparently because I wasn't there to give them candy. :mad: :rolleyes:

We have so many "safe stops" (around 50) that I wish our city would just do away with neighborhood trick-or-treating. A few years ago our tires were slashed, before that my car was paintballed. I don't mind the stolen, smashed pumpkins or even the toilet papering, those things are harmless. It's the mean tricks -the vandalism- I hate.

caseysmom
10-31-2008, 10:57 PM
It started raining around 8 so that was kind of nice, I got a few hours of the cute ones and then it was over...have about 15 to 20 pounds of candy leftover...oh boy...

Flatcoatluver
10-31-2008, 11:02 PM
Everyone sounded like they had a nice Halloween.

I had to work until 7. Then I had to run to our local fair grounds because there is a dog show this weekend. So I spend the rest of the night getting Sage used to the grounds so we could perform well this weekend. :p Boo! I wish we got trick or treaters, we get 2 at the largest amount.

caseysmom
10-31-2008, 11:03 PM
By the way tons of kids said "have a nice halloween" and I even heard one kid tell another kid, "you didn't say thank you to her".

Cinder & Smoke
10-31-2008, 11:38 PM
I dressed my horse up as a ghost and, yes, Summer went trick-or-treating. lol :D

OMG! :D

Tell me you had someone take pictures, please!
You *HAD* to have someone take *snappies* ... please POST 'em!

Did she get any Apples?
Happie Horse-a-Ween, Summer!
;)

Karen
10-31-2008, 11:53 PM
We had 27 human trick-or-treaters - the most we've had here - and one canine one - Henry, the mini schnauzer, swiveled his head when I called down "I have treats for canine trick-or-treaters" and beat his human to the top of the stairs by 6 steps! :)

I wore a greyhound mask and a collar, and told adults to vote Yes on # (banning commercial greyhound racing). All little kids this year, only one that was even a teenager, but she's just next door, and the four younger siblings left without her, so she was running to catch up to them! Three princesses, a little monkey (being carried by mom), several pirates, Darth Vader, a ninja, cowboys and two little ones dressed as doggies who liked my mask a whole lot! :) I let kids take two or three pieces of candy as they have to climb a full flight of stairs to get to the porch. Several of the kids only took one, and most said "trick or treat!" without prompting, and only one little one - maybe 4 years old - needed a prompt to say "Thank you!" Everyone else remember the thanks and many called out "Happy Halloween!" as they were leaving.

zippy-kat
11-01-2008, 12:48 AM
OMG! :D

Tell me you had someone take pictures, please!
You *HAD* to have someone take *snappies* ... please POST 'em!

Did she get any Apples?
Happie Horse-a-Ween, Summer!
;)

Not the best one, but ...

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/zippiekat/06resized.jpg

I wanted to make her a mummy but today was just too crazy for me to get out there in time. Maybe next year!

Taz_Zoee
11-01-2008, 01:09 AM
OH my gosh!! Summer is so cute as a ghost!! :D :D

We had a total of two trick or treaters. One was our neighbors little girl (I didn't see her so I don't even know what she was dressed as) and another little boy had a ghouly mask on (I'm not sure who it was).

But we were having a small get together tonight (I thought). There is about 10 people in my house and I only know about half of them. And here I am in here on the computer. LOL

sparks19
11-01-2008, 06:18 AM
By the way tons of kids said "have a nice halloween" and I even heard one kid tell another kid, "you didn't say thank you to her".

Same here... they were all so polite... except some of the really little ones who were shy and wouldn't even look at me hehe.

We had one little guy... SOOOOO cute. he was spider man. He could barely talk but he came up and said "trick or treat" and then said "thank you"... Man I just wanted to give him the whole bowl of candy. he was so adorable

Medusa
11-01-2008, 06:42 AM
I should begin by saying that the majority of the kids were polite, most of them saying 'thank you' and several saying 'Happy Halloween". However, I'd say that at least 25% of them had no costume and they weren't teenagers who just wanted treats; they were young kids. They'd come up to the door and stand there. So I'd joke w/them and say "May I help you?" and the usual answer was "yes" and I'd say "Well, what is it that you want?" and rather than say "Trick or treat", they'd say "Candy!" I don't know if their parents didn't prepare them or what but I found it odd and it happens every year. Twix is always the candy of choice and I heard one boy say as he was leaving "She is always so generous. She's the Twix lady". LOL

I have gargoyles on each side of my front porch year round and one kid who looked to be around 12 or 13 said "I like your dogs". :eek:

I ran out of candy again this year but, thankfully, the trick or treaters were finished w/yet a half hour to go. It was from 6-8 but the first beggar showed up at 6:30 and by 7:30 I was out of candy. I can't seem to calculate it right. Last year I had candy left over.

My neighbor dressed as a scarecrow and hung himself to his lamppost and when the kids came near, he screeched at them. You should've heard the screams! He came to my door afterwards and said "It's me, Adam. I just wanted you to know why there was so much screaming". Well, it is Halloween so I didn't think anything of it.

beeniesmom
11-01-2008, 08:08 AM
It started at about 6.15 and about 160 kids later, I was done with the candy. It's was about 8.20 when I turned the lights off.
I made little goodie pouches, that's how I know how many kids we had. I was very happy to see that only 2 parents were lame enough to have thier own basket, compared to last year, when we had 1/2 kids, 1/2 parents.

Whisk_Luva
11-01-2008, 08:19 AM
I went to a party/sleepover at a friends house, she lives right next to a church/graveyard which was quite good for halloween... I was a dead person and my friend made it look like I had a cut throat by using red eyeliner..... we went outside and watched some fireworks by the church and played some halloween games etc... didnt get to sleep till 5am...

It was fun- the best part? My friends dogs! She has a big old English sheep dog and a gorgeous little bichon frise.... :love::D

Alysser
11-01-2008, 09:19 AM
My costume
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/bobbernut/Picture011-1.jpg
Can you guess who I was? :D

The scary house I was talking about before. This was the guy I was scared of:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/bobbernut/Picture025.jpg

Their mini graveyard-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/bobbernut/Picture031.jpg

DJFyrewolf36
11-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Sigh...I wish I had as good of an experence as everyone else lol.

First off I had to work *yay* but really it wasn't a huge deal. I got on shift at midnight *I work security at a shopping center* and the bar is having a pary. The crowd was mellow and the bar manager is a nice guy and makes sure the place never gets out of hand. They wrap everything up and go home at about 4 am. I was checking around one of the lower levels about an hour later when I heard yelling outside and saw a pumpkin fly right over one of the gates, BREAKING part of the gate off :mad:. I check around the immediate area and didn't find anything so I went to the other side of the bulding to check and found SMASHED pumpkins all over the place :mad::mad:. Then I found hay bales *they were used as decorations for the shopping center* drug into the middle of the street. :mad::mad::mad:

Why do people have to be destructive? When I got off shift at 6 no one had broken any windows and I hope that between then and now nothing else happened. It doesn't start getting light out until about 7 and its really cloudy so it was still pretty dark until right about now. It makes me so mad that someone felt the need to make a huge mess that people are going to have to clean up and damaged property on top of it all.

Sigh...

Twisterdog
11-01-2008, 10:12 AM
We always have good Halloween experiences. I live in a very small town, and everyone knows everyone. All the kids go to all the houses, they are always polite and cute. I have never seen or heard of any vandalism here.

One little girl, probably three years old, runs up to the door and throws her arms out and says, "I am SPIDERWOMAN!" It was adorable.

AdoreMyDogs
11-01-2008, 01:47 PM
I had a great Halloween experience. In the morning Missy, Austin, Quinn and I went to Jump For Joy, the local inflatable party center, and had a costume party there. We had SUCH an amazing time.

Then that evening my hubby and I took Quinn to Missy's house and we trick-or-treated in their military housing complex. It was a great neighborhood to trick or treat in and it was just absolutely loaded with kids and even dogs dressed up.

Quinn said trick or treat (which sounded more like "tick teet") and that was just so adorable. She was brave enough to walk, with her little candy basket, up to strangers and say trick or treat. She then was amazing at saying "thank you" (which sounds more like "eye dee") to not only the person who handed her a candy, but to mommy and daddy after each house we visited. I thought it was cute that people understood her "thank you". We then went to Quinn's Nana's house and hung out there for a bit.

Missy and her boys, Tyler and Austin, are the cutest little boys and are always such a joy to hang out with.

It was a fun day AND night.

RICHARD
11-01-2008, 02:08 PM
We had 27 human trick-or-treaters - the most we've had here - and one canine one - Henry, the mini schnauzer, swiveled his head when I called down "I have treats for canine trick-or-treaters" and beat his human to the top of the stairs by 6 steps! :)

I wore a greyhound mask and a collar, and told adults to vote Yes on # (banning commercial greyhound racing).

LOL, I heard of Halloween being commercialized, but politicized?;)

MY dad passed away on Halloween so it's kinda somber for my family.:(:eek:

anna_66
11-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Let me tell you about our experience.

October 31 is our anniversary (22 years!) and I wasn't feeling the greatest so we decided not to drive to get to one of our favorite restaurants.
Instead we went to a new place that just opened, Frickers-similar to Hooters unbeknown to me.
Little did I know that all the cute little girls that worked there would be dressed up and so scantly clad:eek:
I mean, Mark's a man and of course he can't help but look when she put her huge boobs right in front of him!
Any other time I wouldn't have minded, but on our Anniversary:rolleyes:

We won't be doing that again!

caseysmom
11-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Let me tell you about our experience.

October 31 is our anniversary (22 years!) and I wasn't feeling the greatest so we decided not to drive to get to one of our favorite restaurants.
Instead we went to a new place that just opened, Frickers-similar to Hooters unbeknown to me.
Little did I know that all the cute little girls that worked there would be dressed up and so scantly clad:eek:
I mean, Mark's a man and of course he can't help but look when she put her huge boobs right in front of him!
Any other time I wouldn't have minded, but on our Anniversary:rolleyes:

Hey he can get his appetite anywhere as long as he comes home for dinner;)

Cinder & Smoke
11-01-2008, 04:21 PM
October 31 is our anniversary (22 years!) :) :D

We went to a new place that just opened, Frickers -
similar to Hooters, unbeknown to me.

Little did I know that all the cute little girls that worked there
would be dressed up and so scantly clad :eek:

< snikker > :D

WHAT ~ Mark dint *tell* ya?? :p

HEY ~ There's a Frickers in Findlay!
We could all drop in after the next Gathurin.

;)

PS: HAPPIE Anniversary!! :) :love:

(Hope Mark's allowed to celebrate #23!)

Lilith Cherry
11-01-2008, 10:15 PM
These pictures are from last year but I did the same thing this year - no pictures yet. Most Chinese students don't know about Halloween so we had fun learning about it!

I have 648 students in ten different classes this term so I am now broke from buying candy for everyone but boy did we enjoy ourselves. I made the "blood" from honey and food colouring and they all tasted some lol!

Suki Wingy
11-01-2008, 11:07 PM
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m94/Oslobunn/IMG_8801.jpg

anna_66
11-02-2008, 07:41 AM
Hey he can get his appetite anywhere as long as he comes home for dinner;)

Very true:D

< snikker > :D

WHAT ~ Mark dint *tell* ya?? :p

HEY ~ There's a Frickers in Findlay!
We could all drop in after the next Gathurin.

;)

PS: HAPPIE Anniversary!! :) :love:

(Hope Mark's allowed to celebrate #23!)
Oh, he'll be allowed...lol;)
And we can stop by there...as long as it's not my anniversary:p

Tonya, I loved summer as a ghost!

Vela
11-03-2008, 10:29 AM
I had a lot of fun on Halloween with my daughter and her costume, thanks to my sweetest boy Jake. He took it all in stride, literally and figuratively, and was an angel to everyone. Some even went back into their houses to bring him carrots. The whole neighborhood loved the costume, it was even better after dark.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/Velaara/1031001-1.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/Velaara/1031009.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/Velaara/1031004.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/Velaara/1031003.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/Velaara/1031010.jpg

Cataholic
11-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Vela,
WOW! What would you have done if he made a 'deposit'? <snicker, snicker>

Jonah went as an astronaut, and much preferred handing out candy than receiving it. He was yelling at people, "you missed our house", not realizing they had hit our house when they walked our side and were now across the street going back. LOL...

Vela
11-03-2008, 11:09 AM
LOL at Jonah, what a generous boy. Well I was watching closely for "deposit" signs, my trailer was up the street with a shovel in it. He was a good boy though, no deposits all evening!

Cinder & Smoke
11-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Vela,
WOW! What would you have done if he made a 'deposit'?

:eek:

Just point it out to the local K-9s ...
"Free Road Apples"!

:D

Kfamr
11-03-2008, 02:16 PM
My Halloween was the best Halloween I've had in years. It was spent watching amazing punk shows in Gainesville. :D

ramanth
11-03-2008, 05:30 PM
That's so cool Vela! We had a headless horseman go through the neighborhood one year.

And Zippy, Summer looks so cute as a ghost. :D

We had Lucy out while passing out candy and she was a huge hit.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/halloween/2008/100_1013.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/halloween/2008/100_1017.jpg

Chipper even got into the spirit. :D
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/halloween/2008/100_1012.jpg

Despite the warm weather, there were not many kids out. All were very polite though. Grandma wasn't impressed with the older teens who didn't even bother to dress up, but they were polite, so I gave them little pieces of candy.

Karen
11-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Oh, Chipper - that Superdog costume fits you perfectly! And of course you are superdog - who else could scarf down a watermelon rind in 2 seconds flat but a Superdog? ;)

ramanth
11-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Eats his owners out of house and home in a single gulp. ;) :D

K9karen
11-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Our block, from what I hear the kids say..*sucks*
I think they get tired of walking from house to house (singles) We have an elementary school down the street so I always anticipate. We had a lot of kids when we first moved here, now, if we get 8 it's a lot (and some are neighbors). This year, we got 2 kids and 4 adults (the parents) The kids got regular sized Snickers and Milky Ways and the men got beer! (Of course I buy what we love)