PDA

View Full Version : Phobias!

Ann
09-13-2002, 03:42 AM
In honor of all the triskaidekaphobes (look below) in the world, I thought I'd make a thread like this :)

Triskaidekaphobia - Fear of the number 13 or the date Friday the 13th. Some famous triskaidekaphobes include Napoleon, Mark Twain, Richard Wagnern and Franklin Roosevelt. There are many theories about the origin of triskaidekaphobia. In medieval Christian countries the number 13 came to be considered unlucky because there were 13 persons at Jesus' last supper. Fridays are also unlucky, because the Crucifixion was on a Friday. Hence a Friday falling on the thirteenth day would be regarded as especially unlucky.

Ablutophobia- Fear of washing or bathing

Anthrophobia- Fear of flowers

Arachibutyrophobia- Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth

Bibliophobia- Fear of books

Cibophobia- Fear of food

Deciophobia- Fear of making decisions

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- Fear of long words

Kainophobia- Fear of anything new

Levophobia- Fear of objects to the left side of the body

Peladophobia- Fear of bald people

Xanthophobia- Fear of the color yellow

Former User
09-13-2002, 03:47 AM
Very 'nice' but you forgat the most powerful one, to me anyways:

Arachnophobia: Fear of spiders! http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/animal/530.gif

Ann
09-13-2002, 04:05 AM
You're right, I did leave that one out, but on purpose actually. Cause being afraid of spiders is (to me atleast) a lot more normal than being afraid of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth! *grins*

Pam
09-13-2002, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Casper & Kitty
Very 'nice' but you forgat the most powerful one, to me anyways:

Arachnophobia: Fear of spiders! http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/animal/530.gif

I agree with you on that one Niina! :eek: :eek: :eek:

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-13-2002, 07:07 AM
That's true Anna! Those Phobias you listed are kinda bazzare.

Cibophobia- Fear of food
I'd hate to be that person! Afraid of food because it may make you fat? Or just, oh No! There's a plate of pasta! I am terrified!

anna_66
09-13-2002, 09:04 AM
It's amazing to me what things people have fears of. I just can't imagine being afraid of the color yellow:eek:

NoahsMommy
09-13-2002, 01:23 PM
Those were very interesting! :) I agree with Niina and Pam.....spiders really, really scare me! :eek:

toughCookie
09-13-2002, 01:28 PM
I thought it was a joke at first... can't believe people have fears like that! where did you read this? funny!

what if there was a psychology fear support group in session and the dr should happen to say "ok, today we have something new happening," then a bald person wearing a yellow shirt and his coat hung over just his left shoulder, walked in carrying flowers and pushing a book cart, that had a sign with long words on it, offered them a plate of peanut butter sandwhiches, (without milk!) asking what their opinions are on several things!

Ann
09-13-2002, 02:14 PM
toughCookie, your little idea really cracked me up! LOL, that was hilarious!

And nope, it's not a joke, those are actual phobias that some people suffer from! I got these from an online psychology site that listed several phobias and I just picked out the ones I found the wierdest.

Cincy'sMom
09-13-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by toughCookie

what if there was a psychology fear support group in session and the dr should happen to say "ok, today we have something new happening," then a bald person wearing a yellow shirt and his coat hung over just his left shoulder, walked in carrying flowers and pushing a book cart, that had a sign with long words on it, offered them a plate of peanut butter sandwhiches, (without milk!) asking what their opinions are on several things!

Too funny!

toughCookie
09-13-2002, 06:21 PM
well those certainly ARE weird, I feel sorry for those people, I wonder what would cause such a phobia? being scared of spiders, or heights(my fear) or the dark, those are normal, but the color yellow? hmm I guess like the saying goes...it takes all kinds!

alot of people are afraid of clowns. man, I would hate to be in that same support group and have the dr come out in a clown mask and costume! LOL can you imagine!:eek: :eek:

sorry I guess I just have a warped sense of humor!

RockyRoad
09-13-2002, 07:26 PM
I wouldn't call this a phobia, but I HATE all bugs and spiders. I am very superstitious, though, and I stayed home from work today. That doesn't mean I didn't play with my pets!! Of course I did that!:D

slleipnir
09-13-2002, 09:12 PM
Ah, speaking of fears of the # 13 etc, it's my dad's bday today, friday the 13th. LoL. While some ppl are not liking it, it's his lucky day! lol.

I'm soooooo afraid of spiders it's not funny..The stupid thing is, we don't have big venomous spiders here!! I'm a freak ;D

krazyaboutkatz
09-14-2002, 02:24 AM
I have the fear of public speaking. I wonder what that fear is called. Thanks for the list of phobias Ann. They are too funny. :)

toughCookie
09-14-2002, 02:37 AM
PUBLIC SPEAKING, THATS A NORMAL FEAR!

kohala
09-14-2002, 03:33 AM
What else are ya gonna do at 1:30 in the morning!
Here's what I thought they meant:

Ablutophobia- Fear of becoming Popeye

Anthrophobia- Fear of Jurassic Park

Arachibutyrophobia- Fear of spiders crawling up your butt when you're sleeping

Bibliophobia- Fear of dribbling your food on your chest when your lower lip goes numb while dining in a restaurant

Cibophobia-Fear of the internet

Deciophobia- Fear of not knowing what to wear

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- Fear of large zoo animals with flowers growing out of their ears

Kainophobia- Fear of Kung Fu, the series

Levophobia- Fear of magicians one foot off the ground

Peladophobia- Fear of Hawaiin volcanoes

Xanthophobia- Fear of Piers Anthony

and my all time favorite: Felinobarphobia - fear of what happens when your cat has hairballs!

Sweet dreams!

slleipnir
09-14-2002, 12:42 PM
:eek:

krazyaboutkatz
09-14-2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by kohala
What else are ya gonna do at 1:30 in the morning!
Here's what I thought they meant:

Ablutophobia- Fear of becoming Popeye

Anthrophobia- Fear of Jurassic Park

Arachibutyrophobia- Fear of spiders crawling up your butt when you're sleeping

Bibliophobia- Fear of dribbling your food on your chest when your lower lip goes numb while dining in a restaurant

Deciophobia- Fear of not knowing what to wear

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- Fear of large zoo animals with flowers growing out of their ears

Kainophobia- Fear of Kung Fu, the series

Levophobia- Fear of magicians one foot off the ground

Peladophobia- Fear of Hawaiin volcanoes

Xanthophobia- Fear of Piers Anthony

and my all time favorite: Felinobarphobia - fear of what happens when your cat has hairballs!

Sweet dreams! Too funny Kohala. :D :D

lovemymaltese
09-16-2002, 02:42 PM
I'm with the arachmiphobes, I hate spiders too!

lovemymaltese
09-16-2002, 02:44 PM
I am also afraid of clowns, I can't breath when one gets around me at fiars or circus' ans stuff like that. This phobia was before the It movies by Steven King too. Isn't that silly?

Randi
09-16-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by toughCookie
What if there was a psychology fear support group in session and the dr should happen to say "ok, today we have something new happening," then a bald person wearing a yellow shirt and his coat hung over just his left shoulder, walked in carrying flowers and pushing a book cart, that had a sign with long words on it, offered them a plate of peanut butter sandwhiches, (without milk!) asking what their opinions are on several things!
ROTFL! - now we just need a few spiders crawling along the floor! :D :D :D

I really dislike huge shiny, crispy cockroaches! Especially if there a big crowd of them!!!