10-29-2008, 04:45 PM
I would like to know if anyone here has a relative or friend who has had
a medical procedure called Brain Aneurysm Embolization. I googled this for
info http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=dc-embol&bhcp=1

Does anyone know more about the procedure, re-coop time involved,
or successful results? Thanks.

caseysmom
10-29-2008, 04:47 PM
I don't but I meant to reply to you in the prayer thread about what you are going through and wanted to tell you that you are in my thoughts.

Grace
10-29-2008, 06:30 PM
lizbud, I only know what I've read. I once worked in Neuro ICU, and back then this treatment wasn't available. All they could do for an unruptured aneurysm was a full crani with clip. This sounds so much nicer - for all involved.

Do you feel comfortable with your Neuro Surgeon?

RICHARD
10-29-2008, 07:13 PM
lizbud, I only know what I've read. I once worked in Neuro ICU, and back then this treatment wasn't available. All they could do for an unruptured aneurysm was a full crani with clip. This sounds so much nicer - for all involved.

I was stunned when I saw this procedure.

This is really new. Like two years old new-when I was looking at operation reports the embolectomy/clipping was the only way to treat this.

With an craniotomy/anuerysm clip the would shave your head, cut a hole on the skull, isolate the vessel and clip it.

Sounds like the turnaround time is minimal and you may not be looking at any extended hospital time.

Wow, I am floored by this surgery....Very interesting and groundbreaking.

Catty1
10-29-2008, 07:28 PM
Here's a link to a Google search result of "aneurysm support groups". You may want to lurk on a few and see if you can find anything out.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=aneurysm+support+groups&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

{{{{hugs}}}

Catlady711
10-29-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm not really familiar with the procedure but I have a cousin that has a brain anurysm (sp?) but because of his other health problems and the location of his they can't do surgery on him for it.:(

lizbud
10-30-2008, 10:12 AM

I haven't met him yet,but I will next Wed. (Nov 5) I've been dealing with
the Neurologist & she is the one who refered me to him. I really hope I get
a good first impression of this Dr. I'll now have a ton of questions to ask
thanks to reading some of the stories in the link Candace provided.:) So
much info to digest, it's a little overwhelming.

Richard, I had no idea how new this procedure was. Then again, I had no
idea that there were so many people who had this problem.

Karen
10-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Oh, do keep us updated, Liz! My friend just lost her Dad to an aortic aneurism only to learn at his funeral that it is frighteningly common in his side of the family, and that she should get herself scanned. But those are in the heart, not the head.

I've had neurosurgery, but mine was quite different than what you're learning about, so I'm afraid I'll be of no help.

Barbara
10-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Liz, I hadn't seen this before so I send my very best thoughts for you. I know all this procedure, CT scan, NMR scan and angiogram. I am amazed how techniques developed here - it looks as if you are in very good hands.
:love:

RICHARD
10-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Richard, I had no idea how new this procedure was. Then again, I had no
idea that there were so many people who had this problem.

IT's really new. I "saw" a few of the old-style operations every week.

Here in the new procedure they are reinforcing the weakness in the BV wall.

The tech term for the other way of doing it is called a 'Cranial Embolectomy' They would cut out the weakened portion of the BV. I saw tons of them-I didn't see the end result because I just did the procedure coding and data entry of the info, but you will be happy to know that there were very few follow-up procedures for complications.

If the procedure is now being offered as a option to a CE it means that there have been quite a few people that have had the procedure in it's initial phases. The company has techs that do sit in on the procedure to assist and offer advice during the operation.

Ask about the implant, if there is a company tech in the room during the procedure and how many have been done. Get all the info you can, it will make you feel better.

lizbud
10-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Liz, I hadn't seen this before so I send my very best thoughts for you. I know all this procedure, CT scan, NMR scan and angiogram. I am amazed how techniques developed here - it looks as if you are in very good hands.
:love:

Thanks for the good thoughts Barbara.:) I kind of wanted to clue people in
ask for experiences to get to know all I can about the prodedure.The more
I know the better I feel about the whole thing.

And, I didn't want to just fade away from PT with no explanation.

( I hate when that happens.):)

Grace
10-30-2008, 05:13 PM
And, I didn't want to just fade away from PT with no explanation.

( I hate when that happens.):)

You don't get off that easily - we expect you to show up in Findlay at the Dog Park next Memorial Day. So there http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/March16th/treeswing.gif

Medusa
10-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Liz, I'm not familiar w/the procedure but I can tell you that I had brain surgery when I was 3 years old (back in the dark ages when they didn't know much). They shaved my head, drilled a hole in my skull and tried to "release the pressure", as they put it. My point is that I'm still here 57 years later, so I have a good feeling that you'll come through it just fine. Medicine has advanced since then, obviously, and you have the internet at your disposal to help w/your decision. I wish you only the best, a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. :love:

JenBKR
11-01-2008, 08:50 AM
I'm sorry I am just now seeing this, and your post in the prayer thread. I don't know anything about the procedure but I want to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. :love:

Puckstop31
11-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Liz, you are in our thoughts and prayers. We pray the God keeps you well through this and guides the hands, hearts and minds of your caregivers.

Daisy and Delilah
11-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Liz, I also know nothing about the procedure. I just want you to know that you are definitely in my thoughts and prayers all the way.
I can only begin to imagine what you must be going through. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

lizbud
11-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Liz, I also know nothing about the procedure. I just want you to know that you are definitely in my thoughts and prayers all the way.
I can only begin to imagine what you must be going through. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Hugs received & appreciated.:) Thanks to all for the good thoughts & prayers.:)

AdoreMyDogs
11-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Liz, you are in our thoughts and prayers. We pray the God keeps you well through this and guides the hands, hearts and minds of your caregivers.

This was written beautifully and this is my thoughs and prayers exactlly. I pray that God will be with you and the surgeons and that the recovery is easy.

We all love you here and you'll be getting tons of PT prayers!